|| t w o

Boomerang

The creative department of Ennoia was greeted by a lovely smile belonged to their CEO. The female staffs were swooned by his charisma and sweet manner as he made his way towards Song Aeri’s office. Jinyoung was sitting at his cubical, checking his camera when he noticed a figure passing by his cubical. He looked up to see his CEO, Park Jihoon was greeting the staffs. His face immediately turned sour as he let out a ‘tsk’ from his mouth and continued with his job. Daehwi who was on his way to Jinyoung’s cubical noticed that. He fastened his pace after Jihoon flashed a smile at him before crashing Aeri’s room.

What surprised Daehwi was that the assistant did not ask him further whether he had an appoinment with Aeri as she usually did. It was as if it was Aeri who expected his presence in her office today which was a rare sight to the department. He eyed Jinyoung who pretended to be unbothered by Jihoon’s appearance. Jinyoung seemed to ignore him too so he pushed his shoulder lightly.

“Hey, stop with that look. You’re so obvious, dude.”

“So what?” Jinyoung sulked. Daehwi could only sighed because a jealous Jinyoung was definitely not his favourite thing. He was the only person who knew that Jinyoung’s jealousy was not out of insecurity but out of anger. All of that was thanks to Park Jihoon, their CEO.

Jihoon knew Aeri was alone in her office when he decided to enter it. Of course, he expected her to be indulged in her work too. Aeri was definitely famous with her workaholic nature. Aeri looked up to see the intruder because she was sure she did not even answer any call from her assistant that someone was going to meet her that day. When she saw his face, her eyes squinted, her forehead crinkled.

“I am sure you’re not in my schedule today, Jihoon.” She said as she leaned her back on her chair. Jihoon’s smile widened as he continued walking towards her table.

“In case you’re forgotten, I am the CEO.” Aeri rolled her eyes at that. He always used that excuse whenever he came as a surprise. As if everyone in the department did not know his real intention was.

“Get to the point already, Mr CEO.” Aeri replied. She was eyeing the document she was working on while Jihoon took a sit in front of her.

“I want to know the progress for Seoul Fashion Week first.”

“Daehwi already submitted the list of fashion brands and designers to me. We are going to cover the whole Fashion Week according to the best concept the fashion brands have. It require us to keep tab on their latest release too but I trust my team. We won’t miss anything. However, if you have any better idea, you can tell me and we’ll work it out.” Aeri explained. She was sure Jihoon was aware of their plan. She always made sure to send an email to him on whatever the result of a meeting was.

“Send me the list and I’ll informed you once I go through it.” Jihoon said. Aeri nodded her head. She quickly added it into her to-do-list. Jihoon observed her focused face while writing it. He found it adorable that he let out a chuckle. Aeri heard that thus she put down her book. She tilted her head to the side as she wondered out loud on what else he wanted.

“So, is there anything else you need from me?” Jihoon laughed this time.

“Aeri, the main reason I am here is to invite you to lunch.” Aeri opened to refuse it. She knew it from the moment Jihoon appeared in her office out of blue.

“But you’re free after this.” Jihoon did not give her the chance to refuse. Aeri frowned upon his response. How did he know about that?

“How on Earth you know that I am free after this?”

“Well, I am the CEO and I checked with your assistant beforehand. And please, don’t scold her. She’s doing her very best.” Jihoon answered and it was giving Aeri headache. She thought it was hard to push him away next time if her assistant did this again in the future. Plus, this guy was using his power as a CEO on her assistant. That was not fair, at all. Aeri allowed herself to let out a sigh. She looked up to see Jihoon was having a giddy smile on his face. She was thinking to just give in to his request today.

Aeri closed the file in front of her and the pen in her hand. Jihoon took it as a sign that she agreed with the lunch date. His expression brightened up and he quickly helped his fiancee to clean her table. Yes, Park Jihoon was Song Aeri’s fiance. They were engaged as Park family and Kang family decided to merge their business, aiming to conquer South Korea fashion industry. The best fashion brand and the best fashion magazine? It was the greatest crossover of the century. It was also the reason Aeri was offered a position as creative director aside from the reason that she was indeed deserved the position.

Following their engagement, they were announced as the hottest couple of the year, defeating an idol couple in the country. Since they were the center of attention, their every moves were observed in every way. Aeri hated the spotlight but she grew accustomed to it, it bothered her less nowadays. Plus, she grew comfortable with Jihoon after some time. Their engagement involved no feelings. Just a relationship to secure the featuring of two companies. Aeri was indifferent at first but with Jihoon being the warm and optimistic one, they were handling the engagement well. Little did she knew, Jihoon was going for a serious relationship with her.

“You’re ready?” Jihoon asked, watching Aeri standing up while grabbing her handbag. Aeri nodded her head and walked out from behind her table. She reached beside Jihoon who offered his hand. Aeri looked down at it and put her hand on his. Jihoon smiled as he intertwined their hand. It was a must gesture for the both of them to show the public on how their relationship were even though it was not exactly true. Both of them walked out of the office, welcomed by a squeal by Aeri’s assistant, Min Hyemi.

“Have fun, Miss Aeri!” She cheered after she bowed to them. Aeri managed a smile as a response while Jihoon rewarded her with his infamous wink. Hyemi squealed even more causing Aeri to think of what to do with her assistant’s fangirling. Hyemi’s squealed was indeed attracting the whole department’s attention as all the staff peeked at the couple who were walking towards the lift, hand in hand. The female staffs awed at the sight while the male staffs watched them in amusement. Jinyoung once again divert his eyes to the figure passing by his cubical, only to see the couple walking together. He looked at them in envy, eyes lingering at the lift they took.

Daehwi, who was still at Jinyoung’s cubical nudged his friend. Jinyoung teared off his eyes from the lift to face Daehwi. Daehwi saw Jinyoung’s face and it was so bitter, if it could be tasted.

“You seriously need to stop this, Bae Jinyoung.” He reminded him for the nth time. Daehwi could not even remember how many times in a week he had told Jinyoung this but that guy was too stubborn to his liking. Jinyoung leered at him before he stood up and walked to the pantry. Daehwi’s eyes followed Jinyoung’s figure. He sighed in worry. Not to forget, another headache came as he needed to handle Jinyoung’s glumness.

Aeri came back late again that day but it was earlier than yesterday. She was wondering if the dinner was over but a maid told her that her grandmother was just finished with her dinner and was waiting for her in the dining room. Aeri nodded her head as she passed her bag to the maid. The maid walked away with her bag. Aeri strided to the dining room to be greeted by her grandmother, drinking a glass of plain water alone. Watching that, Aeri felt guilty for coming home late that day. She expected Daniel to be there for dinner but that latter was nowhere to be found.

“Grandma.” She called her as she entered the room. Chairwoman Kang’s face brightened up when her eyes laid on her only granddaughter. Her lips shaped into a smile. Wrinkles appeared along with that but it was all covered by the shine of her smile.

“Aeri-ya, come and have a seat. Did you have your dinner already?”

“Yes, grandma. I had a dinner with Nara before I came back.” Aeri answered. Chairwoman Kang nodded at that. She knew Nara and she did not mind if Aeri spent her time with her because Nara was Aeri’s one and only best friend.

“It’s been a while since I saw Nara. How was she?”

“She’s doing great and she never gain weight! I’m so jealous of her.” Aeri whined to her grandmother which she responded by a laugh.

“Girls nowadays focused more on weight and body size. I will never understand that. You’re prettier than her, Aeri.” Aeri grinned at that.

“I’m prettier, right? I told her that but you know her. She will never let me win.” Aeri replied cheekily. Chairwoman Kang chuckled at that.

Even though Aeri was adopted, she loved her the way a grandmother would love her granddaughter. Plus, her children had grown up and had a family. She was left alone in the enormous mansion. If it is not for Aeri and Daniel who lived together with her, she would have been a lonely old woman. All her love was poured on Aeri who never once disappoint her. She was glad Aeri grew as a fine woman whom everyone admired a lot. She heard a lot about Aeri from her business partner. All that came from their mouth was praise for her only granddaughter especially after the news of her engagement. Chairwoman Kang could not be more than proud to have successfully raise her.

“By the way grandma, where is Daniel oppa? I thought he is always on for dinner at home.” Aeri asked. The culpability was still surrounding her knowing that her grandmother was having dinner unaccompanied.

“He has a dinner with his team tonight. For his latest release.” Chairwoman Kang answered. Aeri pouted upon that.

“If I knew it earlier, I would have postpone my plan to have dinner with you.” Chairwoman Kang shook her head as she placed her hand on Aeri’s head, caressing it.

“It’s okay. I understand that both of you are busy. Plus, I’ve planned a family dinner tomorrow. Everyone is expected to attend the dinner. It has been a while since I saw my children and my grandchildren. Come home early tomorrow, okay?” Aeri nodded her head. She was excited for the dinner tomorrow. She was confident that everyone would be present tomorrow night because it was her grandmother’s order. Even though they were family, they could not deny the power of Chairwoman Kang.

“Okay, grandma. Are you going to your room?” Aeri asked. The maid already cleaned up the table while they were talking. What was left on the table was Chairwoman Kang’s glass.

“No. I want to walk around the garden to get fresh air. You better go and have a rest. I plan to wait for Daniel too.” Aeri nodded her head. Both of them stood up to walk out of the dining room. Aeri parted way with her grandmother by the stairs as she walked up to her room.

Upon reaching her room, she plopped on her bed as usual, slipping out her phone from her bag that was brought by the maid. As it was a habit, she opened a chatroom to type.

Gongshil:
Oppa, do you know about the dinner tomorrow?

She waited for two minutes until a reply came. Her eyes trailed the words she received.

Dooly oppa:
Yes. Can’t wait to see you again!
Btw, what did you tell grandma for coming home late?

Aeri shook her head as she giggled. Can’t wait? Guess she was not the only who was excited for the dinner.

Gongshil:
I told her I had dinner with Nara.
And thanks for reminding me that I need to tell Nara about this.
I better text her fast.

Aeri exited the chatroom and searched for her chatroom with Nara.

Stubborn Aeri:
I told my grandma I had dinner with you just now.
Thank you!
*wink wink*

Aeri giggled at her own words and quickly opened the text sent my by her Dooly oppa.

Dooly oppa:
Being a bad girl, huh?
You’re so naughty.

Gongshil:
You know it’s only for you

Dooly oppa:
I know and I love it!
You better get your rest now.
I probably tire you out.

Aeri smiled dreamingly. A reply came from Nara but she chose to entertain her Dooly oppa since he wanted to end the conversation.

Gongshil:
Now you know what you did.
But I love it kekekeke
You too, oppa. Have a good rest.
Can’t wait to see you tomorrow.
Good night!
Kiss kiss

Dooly oppa:
Can’t wait too!
Good night and have a sweet dream!
Kiss kiss
Take care

Aeri smiled widely. She always loved the way he ended their conversation in a day. His last word would always be ‘take care’. It was such a simple word but it mean a lot to her. He always said those word to her whenever they parted and he used it too even though they were chatting online. It was special to her because it was the proof of his love. Someone who would always took care of her when no one realised how bad she wanted to be cared of, when she felt she was alone. The memories from the past flooded her as she sighed dreamingly until she heard a notification from her phone. Nara had sent her another reply and it was only that time she realised she forgot to reply Nara.

Nagging Nara:
Again?!
Wow, I should charge you for using my name to cover your love life.
Are you ignoring me now?
I’m going to charge you for that too!

Aeri laughed at her best friend’s antic. She thought to herself that the nickname she chose for Nara was after all correct and matched her well. Her best friend nagged at her a lot like a mother should be but Aeri could careless about her nagging habit since she was stubborn.

Stubborn Aeri:
I love you!

She sent the short reply, expecting a whole nagging session with Nara but she would handle it later. For now, she wanted to have a warm bath. Her Dooly oppa was right. He tired her out but she did not mind at all. She missed him even more at the thought of him. Aeri sighed before she get off her bed and walked to the bathroom. Right after she closed the door, notifications kept popping out on her phone. Nagging Nara was dominating the notification.