Prettiest Star In The Sky

The Boss Boyfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the dark streets of Lightsoft's property, a very lonely man strolled along underneath flickering lamposts. Head hung low as the cold breeze embraced his face. A faint blush coating his cheeks with his lips quivering behind the thin scarf around his neck. The pockets of his navy blue coat felt like home to his cold hands. Every breath from his mouth sent warmth to his nose and he couldn't help but to playfully breathe out a smoke.

Joshua was outside his hotel after feeling a strong need to get some air. It wasn't often he needed a break but it mostly consisted a few minutes only. A short walk or a quick nap. However, he did enjoy every passing second and minutes of just drinking coffee at his own cafe.

He was starting to wonder whether he truly liked coffee or he only enjoyed being able to be around Yoon Jeonghan.

The man with the most beautiful eyes he had ever laid his own on. His buttery soft skin and a forever widening smile. It was strange — realising how much his own feelings hid away from him.

Perhaps, he blames the comfortable string linking them which made every romantic intention hard to see. There had been a few occurences which made Joshua question what they actually were in the past but it always fell on nothing. After all, they were just plain people who worked together with an outstanding chemistry. Surprisingly, despite the lack of communication and constant unkind exchange of words, they were able to survive the longest.

Jeonghan was both a nightmare and daydream merged to be someone perfect for Joshua. Although, as the CEO, he had not given a single thought regarding to why was he beyond reliable on his assistant. Whether it concerned work or personal issues, he always find himself knocking on the same door. And he always thought about what life would Jeonghan and Chan live if it were him they considered a family instead.

But those were only thoughts, not dreams.

He was beginning to grow unsure of everything he had chosen to nonchanlantly shrug off the picture. 

Like what he always did when he catch himself adoring the employee and his love for someone else. Fascination was an understatement to describe how much he looked up to the guy for being strong. However, Joshua would be lying if he says he never felt his own heart break at the sight of Jeonghan's heart shuttering for somebody who couldn't care less.

It never made sense to Joshua how anyone can neglect his assistant and move on to someone who doesn't meet the same standards. Not even close. Because Yoon Jeonghan was far more than how his ex fiance mistreated him but himself doesn't seem to think so. The media doesn’t seem to think so. Seeing somebody truly worthy degrade themselves for love was beyond heartbreaking. Especially when his assitant was nearing being the most important person in his life.

When he stopped by the corner, he sees the newly opened restaurant. Perfectly made for romantic occasions and thirsty couples.

It's his.

Actually, Joshua owned several restaurants and cafes but he was never the kind to brag about his achievements. Part of it being able to see the shock and happiness look on Jeonghan whenever he took him to their openings. He makes sure to put as little information about him in every place's website knowing that Jeonghan was great at research. It would ruin their casual dates if ever he finds out.

Upon standing frozen in front of the restaurant he figured he might as well give the man a call. He had been running in his mind all day after all and Joshua preferred if he'd stop thinking about his employee.

Usually, the only way to stop missing Jeonghan is to see him. Have coffee or eat meat together. Basically, an unspoken date.

He pressed the overly familiar phone number as it begun to ring. The pattern was the same for every call. First call is to be ignored while second gets answered on the third ring. And he was correct becase after a call and a half, a soft raspy voice was on the other line, somehow different from its usual state. Somewhat weaker.

“Joshua?” Asked Jeonghan. Although his voice sounded quieter than normal as it trembled. Barely audible to the boss' ears and his nose seem to be blocked. After the guy sniffled, Joshua understood. His beloved assistant was in tears and he hated nothing more than that.

Nothing.

At the information, his heart dropped not wanting to imagine the guy being pessimistic.

Hesitantly, he sat down on a nearby bench, hand clenching inside his pockets. “Jeonghan, are you crying?”

“Oh, I-I'm not. Just a blocked nose, that's all. Been very sick recently.” He lied and it would have fooled Joshua if he hadn't known about how great his friend was at hiding the truth. “Did you want anything, Sh-Shua?”

“I didn't have anything particular in mind before,” Joshua half-lied. “But now I wanna see you. Badly.”

Clearing his throat as he hoped for its defencelessness to disappear. “I'm telling you, i-it's nothing serious.”

But every word felt like a cry for help to Joshua and it stung his skin to imagine Jeonghan crying all alone at home. After knowing the man for years he knew Jeonghan avoided crying around his son the most thus the kid must be with his other dad.

His assistant had always assured company when times were dark and it's quite rare for a crying Jeonghan to ever allow Joshua in. Allow him to see and watch his greatest weakness unveil before his eyes.

Nevertheless, Joshua didn't care about Jeonghan's weaknesses. He aleready knew about his boyfriend's wariness when being watched while crying. Rather, he liked them in a way for they make him human. All he cared about at the moment was the cause of those sad tears and dejected tone. Because he was willing to wrap both of his arms around Jeonghan and for the first time, follow the yearning inside his chest.

All of his regretful experiences revolved around Jeonghan. To all the nights he wished to have him around but never did anything to have it his way — he was afraid of ruining something perfect and beautiful. For every twinkling star in the night sky, he connected each one with a wonderous reason to love his assistant. Yet he chose to stay away in silence when the Sun was up. Patiently, he waited by the side line and watched Jeonghan become each star in his sky until he no longer had a star to vent his feelings to. Then, he was left with the moon but it told him to love someone new.

Believe him, he had tried countless times. However, no one was anything like his oblivious assistant and Joshua would've preferred if their paths crossed a little more intimate than just being a CEO and an assistant.

And his wish was granted, at last. 

He wasn't allowing any more chances slip through his fingers with wide eyes.

“Get dressed. I'm coming over to pick you up.” Joshua alarmed sternly. He knew the following protests but instead of ending the call, he listened to the alluring voice some more. It filled his lungs and unbroke his heart that's been losing a piece each day. 

Humming before Jeonghan sniffled for the last time. “This is rare for you... You don't usually care about anything I do-”

“No, I did. I do.” Joshua clarified calmly. “I guess I'm only showing it now. You're important to me, Hannie. And I appreciate you more than anybody. More than myself.”

Not a word replied to him. Just pure silence until he heard muffled giggling on the other line. The sound of soft laughter bombarded his ears and it made him realise how much his life would've been filled with beauty if only he had accepted everything much earlier. Who knows, maybe Jeonghan would've come to his senses much quicker.

An odd sensation energized the lonely CEOs body, desperately wrapping an arm over his stomach as he thought of Jeonghan. The moon brightly shone over his body under a malfunctioning lamppost.

“Thank you,” he muttered but it was loud enough for Jeonghan to hear.

“Thank you? For what?”

Joshua sighed. “For everything.”

“You're being dramatic when I was the one crying a few seconds ago...”

Smiling before he pulled the phone away from his ear. “Okay, I'm gonna go and drive over now.”

His fingers almost fled over the red icon until he heard Jeonghan's voice yelling for attention. “Wait-- wait, Joshua! Don't end it yet, please.”

“What is it?” He bluntly asked.

“Stay like this.” Before he could open his mouth to ask about the implementation, he was stopped by Jeonghan's embarrassed voice. “Don't run away anymore. I know it's awkward to say but...”

Patiently, he waited and as each syllable rolled out of his assistant's tongue, all of the pieces of his heart came together as a whole. “Treat me like your boyfriend. It's just for now... I just think I've forgotten what it's like to be anyone's partner and since we're doing this... might as well, right? I’ve taken advantage of you more than I can count but I promise this is the last one.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter