Back again

The Boss Boyfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

W/N: quick update because last chapter wasn’t exactly satisfying..

 

To say he was distracted was an understatement. Everyone in the room could sense the overpowering yearning, itching for a certain someone’s company. Fingers tapped on the table and moved together like a wave. A bunch of eyes stared at the president who obviously had no interest in the current meeting.

By the end of the rectangular table was the projector where Vernon was presenting the new launch. And despite the importance of the upcoming game, Joshua paid no attention. Why would he? None of it really mattered if Jeonghan’s approval wasn’t given. After all, most of their launches only succeeded after the assistant’s touch ups. He was far more talented than all of them combined.

Not that he’s playing favourites.

Vernon cleared his throat. “Mr. Hong, we can move the meeting to a different day if you’d like. You don’t seem to be focusing and the launches need some more touches, as well.”

From the evident mention of his name, he turned his face forward where Vernon stood in front of all of them. A part of him felt genuinely regretful for being disrespectful. However, his mind was truly out of it. Words came in and out of the other. 

Five days since Jeonghan last showed himself in the building. Not to mention how bittersweet the encounter was. And still, Joshua hadn’t discovered the meaning behind Jeonghan’s words. What killed him more was everybody else seemed to know. He was the only fool in the room. None of them helped him understand and he was stuck in a puzzle he knew he can never solve.

A game he was not good at. 

Jeonghan’s honest words.

“I’m sorry. I was just wondering who approved of this project?” He asked curiously eyes setting on the projector. 

Jihoon grumbled under his breath. “Who else? The producer.”

Eyebrows quirking up as he stared at Lee Jihoon longer. He was surprised at how many expected him to know the producer of their company. He does appreciate them at their jobs but to have multiple people for the same position was quite confusing.

“Me, Joshua. I’m the producer of this company. The one you’ve been working with for the last years?”

“Oh, right. I’m sorry.” He says awkwardly avoiding the producer’s burning stare. “I was just expecting to hear a different name...”

“Like who?” Asked Junhui who was sitting much closer to the projector; far away from him. “Yoon Jeonghan? Didn’t he resign after you yelled at him?”

So, the rumours had already begun, he thought.

Yebin laughed shaking her head. “No, Joshua fired him. I saw it all happen before my eyes.” 

“Then you must be blind,” Minkyung answered gulping the water down from the glass. “It was just a couple fight. Jeonghan isn’t that stupid to leave the company.”

Nayoung who’s been keeping quiet slammed her clipboard on the desk. A threatening look displayed on her face as she stared at Joshua straight in the eyes. All of them abruptly shut their mouths at the woman. 

“Is no one gonna be professional?” She spat, obviously angered by the unacceptable behaviour. She seems to be the only one concerned and Joshua, once again, felt sorry. He couldn’t help but think about Jeonghan and how he’s doing. Was he even doing anything?

Nayoung nodded at Joshua. “Cancel the meeting, Hong. There’s still a whole season before we launch a new winter game. It’ll be okay.”

Nodding as he motioned for his second assistant to stop noting down everything being said. Pretty eyes with long lashes stared back with his lips slightly parted. He was starting to hate how captivating those lips were being. Because he knew someone with much softer lips. Way prettier eyes and kinder gaze.

Somebody whose laugh sounded like an angel’s. The person who disagreed with all his opinions for the sake of arguing every day. Perhaps, for the last five days, Joshua had been thinking nonstop about his assistant.

Jeonghan had always refused to go on a break and resting, making five days his longest absence. And for Joshua to not have the giggling man talk all day beside him was draining. There were nothing to look forward to and because of the missing person in the building, he felt gone. 

Utterly incomplete without Jeonghan by his side. He figured it must be the comfort of always being together that losing the man so suddenly caused his little world to crumble a slightly.

Don’t misunderstand, Seungcheol was great and everything… but he wasn’t Jeonghan. They were completely different people. Hoping he’d get distracted from missing Jeonghan so much was only wishful thinking.

“Meeting’s dismissed,” he said. Hands fumbling with his lips, an elbow propped on the table. “You can return to your designated offices.”

However, none of them budged, except for the editor, Nayoung, who took everyone’s piles of papers. Then, the room fell silent. Just everybody staring at one another and glancing at him in the most evident way. Smiling, he waved at them and they all returned the gesture shyly.

“Just a question,” Seokmin begun. He smiled signalling him to go on. “If you didn’t fire Jeonghan why do you already have a new assistant?”

Chuckling, Junhui turned to him with an unfazed look. “He’s Joshua Hong. Why would he choose to have one thing when he can have two at the same time? Am I right, Shua?”

Lee Seokmin squinted his eyes, not fully understanding. He figured dropping the topic and being confused for the rest of his life would be the better choice than the latter. Meanwhile, Joshua’s mind felt too upset to retort or anything. His mind couldn’t answer — it refuses to. Because Jeonghan told him that arguing was upsetting for the person in the receiving end if it’s purpose were serious.

He already saw the result of arguing with Jeonghan why would he do it to another?

Smiling wickedly, Jihoon got up from his seat. “Ah~ Seungcheol, why don’t you tell us more about yourself. You’re gonna be seeing most of our faces around. It’s good to have friends too.”

Joshua could only sigh. The assistant gave him a look of panic but he only pursed his lips in a tight line. “Oh, erm, I don’t really have an interest.”

“What was your past job?” Seokmin innocently asked.

Gulping, Seungcheol smiled nervously. “I make videos. Sometimes.”

Minghao who’s been quiet laughed loudly. “Like what kind of videos? Jun’s kind of videos?”

Everybody laughed at the joke and Junhui kicked the other Chinese in the shin. Seeing Minghao joke and laugh was delightful for Joshua. After announcing his relationship with Jeonghan, it seemed that Minghao had also discovered his past association with Jun. They talked less — no, they didn’t talk at all. And Joshua understood because the other had every right to.

“Yeah, actually.” Answered Seungcheol with an amused smile. The table went quiet. “We even have a few videos together.”

Everyone in the room halted. Except for Minghao who looked as though he was going to attack the new assistant. The small room was filled with laughter and a very enraged Minghao who chased after his coworker. He yelled aimlessly and Seungcheol only ran happily with Joshua shaking his head at the sight.

They were all happy except for him.

“I thought it was break time. Why is everyone still here?” Said a soft voice by the door. Too angelic for Joshua’s liking. The same voice he heard crying and yelling ferocious words at him.

All of their heads turned vigorously at the sight of the person Joshua had been thinking of all day. The one he liked staring at when he’s being oblivious. The person he insults in exchange for a compliment. The only one who understood him, comforts him whichever way he liked. Maybe he missed Yoon Jeonghan.

Perhaps, it wasn’t only his words that Joshua couldn’t comprehend. Because inside his chest were a bunch of strings being pulled at the sight of a smiling man. A nostalgic feeling lost within himself. Something that’s always been in the back of his heart but only now had it become vivid.

It really does make a difference to lose the person he’s had beside him for almost a decade. His disappearance was filled with tears b, then he suddenly returns with the biggest smile on the planet. 

A smile that did a lot of things to Joshua.

“Jeonghan!” They simultaneously yelled. Even Junhui looked happy to see him. 

“As much as I missed all of you, I’ll chat with you guys later at the office. For now,” he links arms with Jihoon who shook his head in disbelief. “I’ll take this one for a thank-you-date.”

And off they went. Gone again. Without sparing Joshua a glance or a small greeting — he just left. Everyone else seemed to be as bewildered like him. Wasn’t the first time he got ignored by the male. However, it felt heavy this time around. As though he had planned to hurt Joshua’s feelings and he gladly succeeded.

“Well, at least we’ve established he’s still working here,” said Seokmin.

“And that he’s still mad at you but that’s normal. You were ball shooting with another man.” Added Minghao giving Seungcheol th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter