What it was

The Boss Boyfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I am not gonna allow you to go to some camp. You’re not gonna change my mind, Chan.” 

“But dad! I need to go. Everyone were meant to go since I was like — what, five? I’m the only one who haven’t. I’d be the only one staying again,” whined the kid with desperation in his eyes. 

“Chan you are nine years old. You expect me to hand you to some stranger and assume they take care of you the same way I do. I won’t even know when you’ll be back.” He shot his son a look of disapproval. The kid only rolled his eyes, already used to the objections from his dad. Yet, he still wonders why Chan was anti-social.

A small exasperated groan disturbed Joshua’s ear. “Dad, you make it sound like those people will eat us. It’s affecting me how negative you are.”

Joshua abruptly opened his eyes but winced at the throbbing pain inside his head. The lack of sleep finally taking its toll. However, across the lounge, in the dining area was Jeonghan looking perfectly healthy preparing a lunch box. The infamous Chan ate his breakfast silently. He rolled his eyes when Jeonghan continued to argue about the camp after he had already gave up on the topic.

“Dad, he’s awake.” Pointing at the stranger sprawled on the couch. “Is he sick? He looks very pale. Wait.”

The small body got down from the chair with Jeonghan telling him to stay put. Moving around while eating was bad — Chan heard it plenty of times in the past. Upon seeing the unknown man closer, he was good looking. Handsome enough to date his father. 

Without hesitation, Chan brought his tiny hands to Joshua’s forehead. Bread crumbs nearly blinding the man but Joshua kept still. The two older men held an awkward eye contact that Chan made fake gagging noises to. Jeonghan could no longer hold the gaze and looked down.

The kid gasped. “Dad! I think he’s got a headache! He’s like burning hot!”

Laughing, Joshua shook his head in amusement. He wasn’t sick. Joshua only gets sick at least once a year. And that was not happening right now. Not at Jeonghan’s apartment with his kid probably judging him. The father only stared at him with bored anticipation and waited for signs of sickness.

Thus Joshua pulled his body up, attempting to straighten his back. Although, his vision was quick to get blurry and everything begun spinning. Oh my god. He was sick and the weight on his body felt a lot heavier than usual. Not to mention the mixture of feeling coldness and hotness stinging his skin altogether. It’s been a long time since he felt the unpleasant sensation.

His throat felt dry and Chan must have read his mind because he returned with a glass of water.  Jeonghan immediately dropped the utensils he was holding creating a loud sound on the kitchen sink.

Running over as Jeonghan crouched down to place his hand where Chan’s was previously on. He was panicking. “. I should have made you shower after the rain.”

Joshua’s eyes widened. “Do you always need to swear?”

Chan giggled. “Those are not the only one he grumbles. He screams , bastard, jerk and just as much. But he mostly does it when he’s angry at my dad.”

Furrowing his eyes at his kid. Jeonghan begun feeling suspicious at the sudden change in Chan’s mood. There wasn’t any angry remarks or disrespectful words coming out of his mouth. A part of him wanted to question but something told him he shouldn’t. Just observe the kid and watch how he acts after Joshua leaves. Perhaps, Chan was only showing respect for the guest. Nevertheless, the kid never tried pleasing anybody before.

Hmm, weird.

When Joshua’s warmth transferred onto Jeonghan’s hand, he nearly jumped back. Without denial the visitor was indeed sick on the couch. Yoon Jeonghan didn’t know how to feel or react. Whenever his own child fell sick, he calls for Seungkwan. Having someone special get sick always made him cry or get teary eyes.

He couldn’t possibly call Seungkwan this time around.

With Joshua, however, he felt disappointed and annoyed. The latter weighing more. Feeling responsibility over somebody had always ticked Jeonghan off. Except for his son, of course.

Without a second thought, he smacked Joshua’s arm making the weaker guy yelp in pain. Knees still on the wooden floor as Jeonghan pouted feeling the need to kick Joshua out. After all, it was his fault for getting sick.

“Why did you have to get sick?” Jeonghan scolded. “Do you think it’s easy taking care of people all the time?”

“Having you as my assistant is far more difficult-”

“Shut up and don’t say a word!”

Chan glared at his dad. “Watch your temper, dad. This is exactly why you’re single.”

Jeonghan returned the gesture before getting up. Walking towards the bathroom and grabbing the small bucket. Filling it with water half way before taking a small face towel from the cupboard. He made sure to collect ice from the freezer before kneeling back down beside Joshua again.

His kid was back to eating breakfast at the table. Chan seemed content with his own food hence Jeonghan shifted his attention to the sleepy man. The cold, wet towel was placed on his forehead battling the hotness within his skin. The steamy breaths coming from Joshua’s lips passing his hand sent shivers down his spine. 

“Why don’t you take more hours sleeping? I’ll feed you when you wake up to take some medicine.” Jeonghan spoke before patting his boyfriend’s face lightly. “I’ll call Soonyoung to cancel everything on your schedule.”

Nodding and Joshua opened his eyes. They were barely closed to begin with but the sleepiness was obvious. “This is what I meant by getting another assistant, Jeonghan. There are times when we both cannot be at work. Please, don’t take it the wrong way.”

Sighing in defeat, Jeonghan nodded. “Fine, do whatever. Just go to sleep and dream of your new assistant.”

“Jeonghan, come on. As the CEO it’s my job to take care of my employees and I see you overworked whenever you’re with me. All I want is for you to have more time for yourself.”

The assistant grimaced. Lifting Joshua’s legs and sitting down before pulling them back on his lap.

Annoyance was displayed on the older’s features. A look of unhappiness drawn onto his face and by the tone of his voice, he seemed to be offended by Joshua’s words, again. He also hated that Joshua wasn’t bickering with him and was being his professional self.

That’s not how they were with each other. They were immature and behaved how they preferred because it’s less stressful that way. However, Joshua surprisingly begun addressing him the way he did to his other employees. Jeonghan felt entirely wronged.

“I am fine. I don’t understand why you keep pushing on this subject.” Jeonghan gave him an unsatisfied look. “Fine, I must admit, you truly needed another assistant back then but Joshua I am perfect at my job now.”

When the kid noticed the uprising argument, he instantly took himself out of the scene and into his bedroom.

“I never said you weren’t, Hannie.” Joshua argued with a soft voice. So sweet, it dripped like honey into Jeonghan’s ears but whatever. He loosely held the assistant’s hand. “You’re great at being my assistant and I wouldn’t want it any other way. But look at the two of us, we’re at your apartment.” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter