A living scam

The Boss Boyfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stars filled Jeonghan’s eyes as he ate breakfast with Chan who was eyeing him weirdly. The blush on his cheeks were not removed by the cleanser when he washed his face. He was smiling wickedly at the thought of meeting his boss and laying out the new secret before him.

Excitement always fueled his languorous body whenever he would blackmail his boss. Maybe with the new discovered information about Joshua, they’ll be able to negotiate. Sort out what could possibly benefit their parts. Who is he kidding, he’s literally manipulating his boss.

Jeonghan chuckled at the table and Chan softened his facial expression at the sound. Hearing his father laugh was music to his ears and it wasn’t an exaggeration. For once, the sad look on his father’s face was replaced with a cheerful look. Oh so he thought. Jeonghan’s face had been dry and almost dead like for as long as Chan can remember. 

On Friday, Chan’s dad had gotten drunk somewhere. Unfortunately, that involved Seungkwan getting Jeonghan from one of the most luxurious hotels at the city. It was weird and uncanny. Chan couldn’t believe it. They were already financially unstable and he couldn’t fathom why his father chose to stay at such place. However, a guard had assured his uncle, Seungkwan that somebody else paid the expenses.

It frightened Chan. A stereotype people would have on a nine year old would be their expected limited knowledge about life. Although, Chan was nothing but illiterate. Living with his struggling father had taught Chan many things. He had seen how far people would go to protect those who they love. He knows what his father will do to give him everything he wanted. Which is why he refuses  to take anything for a hobby except for dancing. As much as he respected his dad, he knew that the man is willing to degrade himself for one person other than Chan. That being his other biological father.

Seeing his dad come out of an expensive hotel and have an unknown identity pay the bill sent chills down Chan’s back. He had seen in multiple documentaries — he shouldn’t have watched — similar situations. There are rich men who pays other people for whatever they wanted to do with them. He’s afraid his father may have taken this path.

Well, he doesn’t know a lot about how Jeonghan is doing at work but it still scares him. There’s a part of him that believes his father wouldn’t do such a thing. Being in that kind of contract doesn’t seem nice and he wants anything but his dad to get involved. The thought definitely frightens him.

“I can’t believe you’re working next Sunday...” Chan blurted out in curiosity.

Jeonghan nodded. “But sweetie, you can come. It’ll be nice to have a kid around. I’m sure my boss wouldn’t mind either.”

There was a pause in Chan’s actions and he was gonna accept his Dad’s offer. “No, thank you. I think you should just call uncle Seungkwan. I’ll just read Dad’s Harry Potter books.”

Nodding and Jeonghan didn’t bother extending the conversation any further. Clearly, his kid, Chan was still resentful from what happened in the past. Something Jeonghan regrets and wished he could’ve fixed. However, their relationship doesn’t seem to make any progress. It’s been a year but the gap between them keeps growing instead of closing.

On Chan’s nineth Birthday Party, Jeonghan went insane and had his mini breakdown when someone came uninvited. His ex’s partner had showed up with the man he once claimed as his. They had presents — lots of them wrapped for the kid. At that time, Chan was not aware of his father’s relationship with somebody else and did not take it lightly. He blamed Jeonghan, of course. Then Jeonghan created a scene which included kicking the two visitors out and everyone took that as their cue to also leave. The father and son’s relationship had been rocky since. A wall had drastically separated them.

Both of them always worrying about the other but afraid to be the first to approach. As a father, Jeonghan had obviously tried to resolve the problem. Then it started feeling like Chan didn’t need or want an apology at all. He needed time. To adjust with everything that’s been going on.

Little did Jeonghan know that Chan’s problems were all wariness for him. The kid was only anxious about how he would be handling everything on his own.

“Y-your dad,” Jeonghan spoke with a dull tone. He figured that he mustn’t keep it a secret from the kid. If Chan discover his other father’s wedding on his own, he might blame Jeonghan again. Then it’ll all be the same as Chan’s last birthday.

After getting the invitation for the wedding, Jeonghan had been completely stressed out. He couldn’t tell his kid that his father was getting married to somebody else. Receiving the news of his other dad having a new partner already put Chan in distraught. Jeonghan can’t even imagine how his son will take it.

“What about him.” Chan figured that if he acted nonchalantly, his father wouldn’t be too timid.

The father’s grip on the utensils tightened. The knuckles of his hand were white. “He’s getting married.”

“O-oh.” Chan knew this news must have killed his dad. Himself, however, was not at all surprised. He expected it to happen sooner or later, anyway. B-but his dad. He will not have a mature way to handle the news and he knows that about his father.

He gulped at the thought of Jeonghan creating another scene at the wedding.

He grew up being raised diligently by Jeonghan and as his kid he had seen his weaknesses. He may only be nine years old but he’s been Jeonghan’s crying shoulder from the beginning. He feels bad knowing his father gets hurt too often that he’s embarrassed to cry to somebody else. Chan figured that if his dad starts dating, he might improve emotionally. Of course, it’ll also benefit him because his dad won’t cry to him at 3 a.m. anymore. 

Jeonghan on the other hand felt his heart breaking at the sight. The look on Chan’s face made him want to crawl to the other side of the table and comfort the kid. However, he was scared that Chan would blame him again thus he played it safe and continued eating. Though deep inside he knew Chan must be breaking. It must be painful to know his dad was getting married and starting a new family with somebody else.

They ate in silence for a couple of minutes then Jeonghan took Chan in the car. The kid goes to a private school, which was his other dad’s idea. It was really stupid. Half of the reasons  why Jeonghan’s broke were because of his son’s school fees. Chan’s other father promised to share the expenses but he stopped keeping  promises a long time ago, anyway. 

“It’s on your birthday,” Jeonghan said as he turned around a corner. “Is that okay? He’s hoping you’ll celebrate your birthday at the wedding.”

Chan laughed. “He really thinks we’re a bunch of pushover doesn’t he?”

Glancing at the kid on the back seat and he bit his lip at the comment. “Come on, Chan. That’s not the way to speak about your dad.”

“He shouldn’t be treating us like this, anyway. We’re nothing but nice to him...”

“Chan, please-”

Something came over Chan and he felt strongly about fighting back. “No! You don’t d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter