I’m the best

The Boss Boyfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“If it’s not a real relationship,” said the male on the opposite side of the table. “Why are you affected?”

Jeonghan did say that he wanted to keep the truth hidden as much as possible. However, someone from the other team read him like an open book. It just so happens that Moon Junhui had already told someone about his relationship with Joshua. Unfortunately, this someone was Lee Jihoon — one of Jeonghan’s close friends in the building.

Upon hearing the weird announcement for their supposed official relationship, Jihoon was taken off guard. His pure heart even warned Jeonghan about Joshua cheating with Junhui. Which caused the older to solely admit his pointless plan and there they were. At the café filled with tons of customers.

(He forgot to ask Joshua about that.)

Nevertheless, Jeonghan couldn’t vent out his frustrations to anybody. The thought of having a second assistant had been bothering him all week. And despite the glares and snarky responses, Joshua didn’t give in. No, he didn’t admit defeat and Jeonghan felt extremely hopeless. The CEO proceeded with the plan.

Joshua was already disregarding his opinions — he can’t even imagine how it would be with the new competitor around. He’d become a trash on the sidewalk — or something like that.

Only if he knew what the new assistant was up to with Joshua back at the office. He shouldn’t have left them alone.

“… I’m not affected… at all.” Jeonghan argued with a frown at his untouched coffee.

The coworker laughed. “Do you even know what the new guy’s name is?”

“No.” He replied bitterly, “Why should I?”

“See, you are affected! I saw you see him at the front desk this morning. You didn’t even give Joshua a chance to introduce you-”

Groaning loudly, they attracted the attention of the customers resulting Jihoon’s face to turn into a tomato in less than a second. “I thought you were on my side, Lee Jihoon.”

“In my defence, I never said I was on your side or anyone’s. But if I have to choose, it won’t be yours.” 

The rest of the coffee date with Jihoon was spent with useless catch up talks that neither cared about. Mostly, people find the situation uncomfortable and awkward but both enjoyed it solemnly. Because it wasn’t easy to engage with someone who related effortlessly to their concerns.

Meanwhile, Jeonghan internally battled himself whether he should ask the new guy for his name or not. Although, he felt like he shouldn’t. A part of him wanted to make the man suffer like Vernon did but he’s different now. He’s professional and mature. Acting like a brat over a decision he shouldn’t even have a say for was ridiculous. Knowing this wasn’t an enough excuse to act appropriately, though. Because he deserves Joshua’s time by himself.

Well, he surely doesn’t mean it in a possessive way. Maybe.

How can he be Joshua’s best assistant if there’s another one? Not that his work-attitude is comparable because it certainly isn’t. After all, he is the best at his job. But he really doesn’t wanna have another person take care of Joshua. Especially, following them around when they were meant to be together… alone.

It left an unpleasant feeling in his chest. Like a heavy weight attempting to escape making him slouch visibly. 

“Jeonghan, it’s not that big of a deal. A normal worker would be grateful for the opportunity of having more time to rest. Especially a worker like you,” said Jihoon.

Sighing he tapped on the cup lightly. “What are you trying to say?”

“That you’re just jealous someone’s gonna be stealing your precious Joshua’s time.”

He was about to retort until he remembered his previous circle of thoughts and immediately closed his mouth. Jihoon was right.

“Listen here, Yoon. I know you both spent the last years teasing and pushing each other’s boundaries but don’t you think you’re too attached to him?” 

“No, I don’t think I’m attached to Joshua, Jihoon.”

When Jihoon’s mouth opened to retaliate, Jeonghan beat him by adding, “I know. I know I’m attached to him.”

That’s exactly why he was stressing out over the new assistant. It was acknowledging the reason why he hated anyone coming close to Joshua. The feeling in his chest felt like a lost emotion which always found its way to him whenever somebody interacted with the CEO. He’s not talking about friendly interactions, either.

As being Joshua’s assistant included being with him 24/7, he had grown familiar with the different kinds of business men and women. Because of that, Jeonghan can’t precisely say he liked everyone who shook Joshua’s hand. Some either got too touchy or too shy to even initiate any skin contact. Kind of weird as they usually have to shake hands.

“Admit it, it’s not just an attachment with Mr. Hong. Come on, you two had been working together for eight years and pulled it off like it’s nothing despite fighting all the time!”

Rolling his eyes as he enunciated every word carefully. “If I had feelings for Joshua, I would have realised it years ago.”

Jihoon folded his arms in front of his chest. “But you’re not the same person you were years ago. I’m pretty sure you’d flip tables if you find out why Joshua even accepted Junhui to our building-” 

The kid halted upon realising his words. Jeonghan grew sceptical at the look on Jihoon’s face. It felt as though he said something he shouldn’t have and clearly it involved Junhui. His unspoken rival. 

“Why?” He asked curiously. “Why did he accept Junhui?”

Smiling, Jihoon sipped his coffee. “I won’t tell you unless you admit that you have feelings for Joshua.”

“Fine, then don’t say it because I don’t see Joshua that way. I’m attached — yes, only because we’re acquaintances.”

He wasn’t gonna try to conceal his feelings and pretend he wasn’t curious but he definitely would not claim false accusations. He wasn’t in love with Joshua nor does he have feelings for him in a romantic matter. 

Sitting back deeper in his chair as he shook his head. Eyebrows meeting by the negative expression. It killed his heart to think but he shrugged it off. Thoughts of Joshua and Junhui being all lovely with one another. Definitely, not the best image to have up his mind.

To put it nicely, Joshua wasn’t his type. Yeah, he understands that Joshua’s too good for him but not only that — their personalities didn’t match at all.

Jeonghan wasn’t the problem, either.

Joshua frequently forgets to act like a normal human outside of work. Important meetings or not, he was being professional and Jeonghan doesn’t enjoy eating at a reserved restaurant that much. Those weird birthday parties too — he can’t even say anything about them. And the way he opens the car door for him doesn’t make Jeonghan feel nice.

They’re just too much.

He enjoyed everything a little less. More secretive, less effort. With Joshua, it was the complete opposite.

Quite regularly, the CEO enjoys taking him on dates and they were anything but unusual. Except for the countless touches on his face but those were meaningless and done without purpose. Not like what everybody’s thinking. Because Joshua may seem like a gentleman but Jeonghan knew him the best. And for that he knows better than to fall for his foolishness.

Eating at a restaurant, for example, Joshua always pushed strands of hair behind his ear. Cleaned the corner of his lips with tissues — it wasn’t romantic like in the movies, though. In fact, everything was annoying.

Jeonghan wasn’t a big fan of skin ship nor showing affection but Joshua openly acted affectionate without any meaning. Like someone who incidentally lead people

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter