Truth In Midnight

The Boss Boyfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joshua Hong typed aggressively on his keyboard. Eyes not flickering anywhere but the screen. Every once in a while he’d forget to blink causing his eyes to water and for tears to stream down his cheeks. There were absurd moments where he’d feel his stomach grumble meaning he was hungry. Of course, he would be—he hasn’t eaten in the past 19 hours of locking himself in the office. Luckily, he had three bottles of water to accompany him but that wasn’t enough to keep him hydrated because his mouth had gone eminently dry.

Even his saliva didn’t seem to be enough. He felt like he could pass out or die at any minute. However, he was against the idea of waking up Jeonghan at 3 a.m. only to supply him with food. Because he can certainly do that on his own. He doesn’t need Jeonghan for that, but he does need him for something else.

Almost picking up the phone until he pushed away from the desk. Everyone had gone home except for the employees who worked the night but despite the people still inside the building, he felt empty and lonely. Not because he was hungry but he was yearning for Jeonghan.

They were two puzzle pieces that merged perfectly together. And he knows this because whenever they would wrap their arms around one another, it felt destined. Like the world had stopped moving to focus on them. Time halted for the two of them to appreciate nothing but each other. Though, he knew that only he felt this way—only he seems to think so.

Nevertheless, he gave his assitant a gift; a ring.

Promise rings. At the grand opening of the restaurant, he gave Jeonghan a ring that matched his. A sign of commitment between two people.

There were flooding news about it after an hour or two. Headlines about Joshua Hong possibly engaged to his assistant, Yoon Jeonghan also widely known as an ex fiancé of... He couldn’t imagine the discomfort it would have placed Jeonghan in. To always be labeled as someone’s and never your own individual.

Joshua had always adored and admired his hard working assistant, despite always joking and saying otherwise. A part of him ached and curled into a tight ball whenever he found Jeonghan questioning everything around him. Like he doubted any type of kindness given his way and that's probably because of being disappointed multiple times. And nobody can blame the man for that. He didn’t have his parents' support or anybody else for him to lean on and constantly remind him “Everything's gonna be okay.”

Because even Joshua knew it wouldn't be.

Those rings were supposedly a joke for Jeonghan's favor of being a real relationship. But now it was putting him in agony which only resulted him kindly asking his boss to release an official statement. Joshua didn't hesitate fulfilling his boyfriend's wishes as they cleared out the articles by simply denying the rings as a proposal.

Despite everything said and done, Jeonghan was still visibly unhappy and Joshua figured leaving the man alone would be for the best which is why he's starving and dehydrated at three a.m., but he misses Jeonghan already. The feeling of wanting to see the man was far more intense than the hunger and lack of water in his body. He badly wanted to talk to Jeonghan because 48 hours without him being his usual self made Joshua regret giving those rings in the first place. 

His stomach grumbled another time and he groaned out loud, darting his eyes out the window.

He had always loved the way the city was so quiet but loud in many other ways. The dimming lights of each window as he made out their silhouettes through them. Or the way police cars or the ambulance would race their way down the highway. Flashing lights and probably drunkards wandering on the side walks. It was oddly beautiful. Imperfect things that made a beautiful image and maybe he could get used to spending the night like this. With more food and water, of course.

His phone began ringing and upon seeing his assistant's name on display, he almost ran out of breath. 

“Jeonghan!” He exclaimed happily. “Aren't you supposed to be aslee--”

“I am gonna kill you, Joshua Hong.” Apalled by the response, the CEO chuckled. “That's a great way to greet your real boyfriend.” He replied with emphasis on the word 'real'.

There was a sigh on the other line before his assistant's voice weakened. “Okay, well, I was out to go for a walk— don't even ask why— and then I see the light in your office and it's ing 3 a.m., Joshua. I know you haven't eaten because you haven't ordered me to do anything all day.” he groaned before continuing. “I just hate you for starving. I'm at the lobby and I'm coming up to bring food. Let's eat together.”

“Did you bring drinks? I only had three bottles of water the whole day.”

“For sakes, Joshua, you aren't two years old.”

However, they both only laughed and Joshua felt weight lifting off his shoulders and suddenly he's not hungry anymore. He felt full and excited like he was seeing Jeonghan for the first time today. Well, he is but he just saw him five hours ago but this was different. They'll converse and probably laugh about avoiding one another all day. 

Joshua felt insane. He missed his boyfriend after spending the day like they were unknown of the other's presence. It was exhausting, suffocating and unbearable. Now, they get to be the Jeonghan and Joshua they've always been in the past years. Maybe that was the best part of being around each other. They can show the good and bad parts about themselves and not worry about being hated for them.

They are each other's home and they have been for longer than they can ever know.

Then the door bursted open and Joshua felt his breath hitching at the sight. Jeonghan wore an oversized shirt and pyjama pants that made him look extra smaller. Despite being fully aware of his assistant's strength, he couldn't help but run beside the guy and help him with the plastic bags in his hands. There's always a part of Joshua that wants to help Jeonghan but he chooses to watch him suffer instead. It's cute whenever he glares at him and scowl afterwards.

After settling the boxes of chicken and one box of pizza on the floor they sat down beside each other. (Yes, there were drinks.) Not across from each other because they haven't held hands or hugged since a few days ago and the most they can do is let their arms touch rather than awkwardly asking for a hug. 

“Open your mouth.” Joshua did as told and watched Jeonghan shove a slice of pizza in his mouth. “Why did you ignore me all day?”

Joshua took a hold of the piece and quickly swallowed the food in his mouth. He hated nothing more than anyone initiating a conversation while eating but this wasn't just anybody—this is Yoon Jeonghan. Hence He smiled and drank coke from the plastic cup Jeonghan bought on the way. “I felt like you needed some time alone and I know that even if I tell you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter