The car ride

Unlucky

”You are done for the day? Let’s go home together,” said Yerin, smiling brightly at SinB.

”Huh?” asks SinB who was surprised by the sudden appearance of Yerin.

”Your shift ends right? Mine too. Let’s go home together,” repeats Yerin.

”Oh no, thank you. I’m not done yet.” SinB simply said to the attending who is now looking at her, somehow perplexed as if her words are mind-boggling.

”I thought you are working the normal hours this week?” Yerin asks. SinB stares at the attending.

Now, she is puzzled as to how did the woman knows about it and why does it even concern her. SinB sometimes couldn’t control her expression and right now is one of the instances. She just makes a face that says ’excuse me, it’s not any of your concern’. She thought her expression is enough to send the attending on her way, but no. It seems like the trauma surgeon doesn’t know how to read facial expression.

”The person for next shift is running late for an hour, so I have to wait for him before I can clock out.” SinB eventually gives up and tells the woman still dressed in her navy blue scrubs who is eagerly anticipating her reason.

”Ahh. I can wait for you to finish” said Yerin, starting to find a swivel chair behind the nurse’s station where they are currently standing. SinB is taken aback with what the trauma surgeon just said to her.

”No, thank you, Dr. Jung. I think it’s best for you to go back since you already finish your shift.” SinB tries her best to politely shoos the woman away. But to no avail, the woman just waves her hand saying it’s okay and leans against the chair, getting comfortable. SinB sighs inwardly, she could see the nurses are just pretending to not see and hear their conversation. She shuts her eyes, takes a deep breath, this is definitely not the attention she wants. SinB leans closer to the counter and as quietly as possible, she says, ”you are a good listener, aren’t you?”

SinB instantly regretting her words. Well, it’s not exactly her words, she simply quoted what the trauma surgeon said to her this afternoon when she had lunch at the park beside the hospital’s cafeteria. She wanted to slap her own mouth when the woman who was slouching in the chair jumps off the chair, smiling brightly while saluting her and exclaimed ’ne, yes ma’am’ excitedly. Dr. Jung Yerin winks at her before leaving the medical ward, skipping happily.

What did you just do SinB?! Now, she is going to get it wrong and think that you are accepting her. Well, when did she ever get it right? I clearly rejected her but she is being a good listener when she wants to.

SinB sighs for the nth time. Just like the nurses, SinB also pretends to busy doing the patients’ charts which she had finished doing it before her shift ends. Eventually she gives up pretending to do the charts and starts reading the article she downloaded in her phone. Halfway through the article, she just realised that is the article that Dr. Jung Yerin wrote with Dr. Kim Sowon and immediately the trauma surgeon’s face fills her mind. She wanted to bang her head on the counter to get rid the face off her mind. To make it worse, the woman’s confession is ringing in her ear.

When the intern finally arrived, SinB wanted to give him a piece of her mind for being late, but then she thought she should be thankful for his lateness, otherwise, she doesn’t have any valid reason to reject Dr. Jung Yerin’s invitation. Well, she doesn’t think any reason would be valid for the persistent trauma surgeon, but something related to work can’t be denied. So, SinB just tells the intern about the cases he should take over and information related to those cases. SinB smiles and bids her goodbye to all the staffs at the ward before she leaves.

Although SinB is putting up a cold, emotionless expression on her face, she is actually exhilarated that she is going back home to rest and eat. No, of course she is not going to cook, she and cooking never got along that she rarely succeded when she tries to. She is planning in her head what she should eat for dinner, which restaurant and which stop should she gets off the bus. Her stomach starting to feel hungry because she just ate a sandwich for lunch which she didn’t finish because a certain trauma surgeon left her dumbfounded with her love confession and stubbornness to accept her crystal clear rejection.

At the thought of that same surgeon and how she succeeded in averted her making SinB’s lips curved up, smiling triumphantly. Little that SinB knows today is the day that she will learn the meaning behind the infamous proverb, ’don’t count the chickens before they are hatched’.

SinB changes out of her scrubs into her work clothes. She puts on her navy blue, long-sleeve with standing shirt’s collar, one-piece mini cotton knit dress. She doesn’t have problems with wearing dresses as anyone thought she would be, it’s just sometimes it is easier for her to commute and move around when she wears pants. Although some of her colleagues just give up wearing a presentable dress or clothes for work because being a surgeon, they mostly wear the scrubs around the clock, but SinB always does. She might wear something more casual if she is working night shift, but she always wears proper work clothes such as dress or blouses with pants if she is working during the day. 

SinB unties her hair, straighten them and let them down. She runs her fingers through her hair, parted and rested them on both sides, let them flow down over her shoulder. SinB checks herself out in the mirror and smirks.

Too bad Duckie didn’t get to see me all dressed up. I’m sure your eyes will be rolled 360 degrees, Duckie. Probably dropped your jaw to the ground too.

SinB smiles and clicks her tongue before getting her clutch where she puts her purse, phones and tablet; and the tote bag that she uses to put her notes and books. She leaves the change room, walks through the hallway and exits the hospital building via the ER. By her counts, there are at least ten people who turn around to look at her and probably the same amount, gawking at her while she passed through the hallway. The thought of Dr. Jung Yerin fell off the bed when she saw her for for the first time in the on-call room suddenly makes it way to her mind. That was she in her scrubs. She couldn’t help but think that the woman might lose her consciousness if she sees her in this dress. SinB chuckles. 

Wait, why do I keep thinking about Dr. Jung Yerin? Seriously, you need to stop SinB.

It’s almost 7 p.m. and there is not a soul at the bus stop, but she is sure the bus will be full. Her roommates had gone back home right after their shift ended more than an hour ago. She is used with commuting by bus and mostly at this time the bus is still packed with workers and students going back home after a long day at the office and school. SinB sits on the bench waiting for the bus. She looks down on her phone to pass the time. No, she is not reading the article by Dr. Jung Yerin and Dr. Kim Sowon. She needs to unwind and relaxes her mind, she scrolls through her social media accounts. 

”Hi beautiful noona, are you alone? A beautiful woman like noona shouldn’t be waiting for the bus alone. Let me accompany you.”

SinB sighs. She could see pairs of black PU leather shoes that student always wears in front of her. Even from the voice that probably just cracks and hadn’t fully developed is a clear indication that the person standing in front of her is a high school student. This is not the first time that students flirt with her and will not be the last. SinB pretends that she didn’t hear anything and continues to scroll through her media social account.

”Uh, you look beautiful in that picture. Give me your account’s name, I’ll follow you. Then we can take pictures together and upload them,” the boy take a peek at her phone and his friends laugh, making sounds supporting their friends’ advancement. SinB glares at the boy and turns to her side, facing away from him.

”Uhh, a feisty noona. I like it. You look more beautiful when you are angry, noona. C’mon, don’t you want to look at this handsome Kang Daniel-like face, noona?” the boy still hasn’t given up despite getting ignored by SinB.

”Yah! Stop harassing that lady!” a woman shouts at the boy causing him and his three friends to look at her. SinB also looks up to see who she is. As soon as her eyes lay on the woman’s face, all four boys stand up straight, moving away from SinB.

”Haih! I should have let them squeeze everything out from you at the park earlier,” Yerin said to the boys in an annoyed tone.

”Ahh badass noona. No-no, we didn’t harass this beautiful noona,” the boy stutters, lying through his teeth while his friends nod their head rapidly in unison.

”Badass noona? Don’t you have anything more appealing to call me?” Yerin asks.

”Well, you saved us earlier. You scolded and give the gangsters a beating. So, you are our noona now, a badass noona,” the boy explains and when Yerin stills stares deadly at him he said, ”hyung-nim! we are your followers now, hyung nim!”

”Hyung-nim? No...we’ll just use the badass noona for now. Did you or did you not harass this beautiful noona?” Yerin asks again. The boys shakes their head rapidly.

”Really?” Yerin asks for another confirmation and the four high school students nod their head enthusiastically.

”Jagiya, are you okay?” Yerin looks at SinB, asking the woman in all seriousness. SinB is taken aback hearing the trauma surgeon just call her ’jagiya’ and just blinks her eyes, couldn’t utter a word to response to the simple question.

”Yah! You said you didn’t harass her. But, this beautiful noona couldn’t even say anything. Do you know who is she?” Yerin asks and the boys shake their head in unison, still looking at the floor, don’t dare to say a word or even look at the woman.

SinB wanted to say something because she pities the boys who look like they are praying for the earth to swallow them rather than being scolded by Yerin. But, before she could say anything, the trauma surgeon who is in her black running tights, white windbreaker and washed brown air max already asking something at the boys.

”Did you hear what I just call her?” The boys nod.

”Then, who do you think she is?” Yerin asks, still keeping her cold gaze and stern voice.

”Hyeongsu-nim, badass noona?!” the leader among the four boys screams his answer. 

”Hmm... Sister in law, eyh? That have a nice ring to it. Okay. So, this beautiful noona is your sister-in-law, you got that? So what are you supposed to do to when you first meet your sister in law?” Yerin stares at the boys, tapping her feet rather impatiently. SinB’s eyes widened when she heard the term the boy shouted earlier and now her eyes are about to fall out of the socket when Yerin seconding it.

All four boys turn to their side, bowing 90 degrees at SinB and greets her, ”hello, hyeongsu. Nice meeting you, sister in law.” SinB’s face reddened when the boys bowing and greeting her, she hides her face behind her hands.

”And...? Yerin asks but the boys just stares at her confusedly. ”And don’t harass her.” Yerin said in an annoyed tone.

”We wouldn’t dare badass noona,” like a soldier, all the boys said, looking straight at Yerin. Yerin nods her head, satisfied with the boys’ action.

”Good. You boys are good men. Alright, then. Oh, one more thing. Please call me at this number when you see my jagiya is sitting here alone. And wait until I come or if I’m in surgery, make sure you wait for her to get on the bus safely. Okay?” the boys nod their head, agreeing with everything Yerin said without a word of rebuttal. ”Don’t worry, I’ll give you something in return every time you do that.” Yerin continues and all four boys smiling from ear to ear upon hearing the incentives they will get.

”Here, get some jajangmyeon and go straight home after that. Don’t let me catch you causing trouble again or in trouble again. Stay in school! And be good to your parents, you know I know where do you live and who are your parents. Got that?” Yerin hands two 5000won notes and a piece of paper with numbers written on it at the leader who gladly accepts it while grinning and nodding his head. His friends follow suit.

”Alright then, go on your way. I’m going to drive your sister in law home,” Yerin waves her hand at the boys gesturing them to start leaving SinB and her.

”It’s okay, Dr. Jung. I can ride the bus.” SinB turns down Yerin’s offer for the second time in two hours.

”Oh? Boys, wait.” Yerin calls the students who already leaving the bus stop. The four students halt their step and turn around, looking at her and SinB.

”My jagiya said she wanted to ride the bus. So, I guess your jajangmyeon has to wait for a while then,” Yerin said and immediately the happy and excited expression on the boys’ face who are on their way to have jajangmyeon turn to sour, disappointing with the unexpected twist in event.

”I’m a good listener, boys. I only do what this beautiful hyeongsu of yours wants to,” Yerin frowns her lips apologetically at the boys. The four practically dragged their feet back to the bus stop.

SinB tries to keep her resolute despite catching a glimpse of the look on the boys’ face. The boy who was acting all tough and smirking at SinB not more than ten minutes ago, now looks like a soulless, dispirited person stands weakly just two feet from her. SinB is holding onto her determination by the skin of her teeth, keeps her face emotionless while letting her eyes wander around, not looking at any of the boys’ puppy eyes nor Yerin’s who is gazing at her lovingly from the opposite side of the boys’ position. Eventually, her heart breaks when she heard a growling sound coming from the boy’s stomach.

”It’s okay boys, you can go. I’ll go back with Dr. Jung.” SinB smiles at the boy who is now clutching his stomach. 

Yerin moves her fingers in a downward motion, gesturing the boys to cry out their thankfulness. And the boys nail their dramatic acting. Thanking SinB and bowing to the woman, repeatedly. Yerin flashes a grin and gives two thumbs up to the boys. She fishes out a 1000won note and gives the boy who keeps bowing and thanking SinB while walking backwards. 

”Be careful, boys!” Yerin reminded the boys rather excitedly as she keeps nodding her head, smiling, giving them a thumbs up, commending their acting.

Yerin looks at SinB with her eye smiles and holds out her hand to the goddess in disguise in a blue dress who is sitting on the bench at the bus stop, ”shall we?”

What did you get yourself into, SinB-yah...SinB cries to herself silently as she nods her head weakly, slowly rises to stand without taking the trauma surgeon’s hand. She holds her clutch in one hand and purposely holds her tote bag in another one instead of carries it on her shoulder as it was designed. The two walk side by side towards the hospital’s building. SinB is busy cussing herself in her mind when the woman walking beside her slowly grabbing the tote bag’s straps from her hand and drags her back from her self-loathing reverie.

”What are you doing?” SinB asks, utterly bewildered by the woman’s action.

”I’m going to carry the bag for you.” Yerin smiles and still trying to take the bag from SinB’s hand.

”I am fully capable of carrying it myself, thank you,” ranted SinB.

”I know. I’ll carry this one for you, then I can hold your free hand,” grinned Yerin.

”I don’t want to.” SinB deadpanned, rolling her eyes and picking up her pace, leaving Yerin a few steps behind her.

”Okay. We will one day!” Yerin screams happily, trailing behind the woman she is madly in love with.

”Haih!” SinB greeted her teeth, rasped as she keeps walking towards the basement parking before stopping at the entrance to wait for Yerin.

Yerin skips happily towards SinB and grabs the woman’s wrist, leading them to her car. Yerin opens the door for SinB and closes it before hoping into the driver’s seat. The older woman transfers the tote bag that SinB places on the floor beside her feet to the back. She leans closer to SinB to pull the seatbelt and buckles it for the younger woman but was stopped by SinB’s chide, ”not a baby, I can do it myself.”

This is probably the twelveth time SinB chided Yerin for the last ten hours, but the trauma surgeon keeps smiling and her happiness seems to be increasing each time. And every time, Yerin always responded cheekily to SinB, that it is maddening the younger woman even more.

”Uh, sorry I forgot to ask. Do you mind if I’m still wearing these?” Yerin asks SinB pinching her dri-fit t-shirt underneath the windbreaker and shows it to the younger woman. SinB just glances at Yerin quickly and shakes her head.

She doesn’t mind what the woman wants to wear, it’s not they are going out on a date. It’s just a ride home. Plus, the trauma surgeon still looks handsome. Yes, handsome. Not a wrong choice of word. Jung Yerin in her workout attire, with her hair in high ponytail makes her look the opposite of the conventionally pretty, but looks striking and imposing. SinB admits that they both possess the same quality in the look department where they can look astonishingly beautiful at one time and strikingly handsome at another time.

But, of course SinB keeps this fact to herself because she is determined not to engage in a conversation with Yerin throughout the ride home. To successfully doing it, SinB chooses to look out the window. SinB hopes this could send a signal to the trauma surgeon that she is not interested in engaging and conversing with her and is not fully accepting their current state of affairs.

”You really don’t have to drive me home, Dr. Jung. I can just ride the bus,” muttered SinB while looking out the window. The young girl’s voice is low but is still audible to the other person in the car with her, sending a mixed signal of whether it was meant for Yerin to heard it or she was just talking to herself.

Yerin drives her car out of the basement parking and slows it down when approaching the bus stop in front of the hospital where the two met earlier. The car comes to a complete stop as it pulls over to the side, just as it passed the bus stop.

SinB furrows her brows, her blood starts boiling as she could infer the reason the attending is pulling over the car.

Is she being serious now? She’s dropping me back at the bus stop?! You have got to be kidding me, Jung Yerin. Just why do you have to pick the time when you are actually going to listen to me?! 

”SinB-ssi, if you really not comfortable with me driving you home, I won’t force you to.”

While scolding Yerin in her mind, SinB heard the trauma surgeon’s saying them in a loving, soft voice. SinB still looks out the window despite she can feel a set of eyes are looking at her. The older woman continues to stares at the back of SinB’s head, patiently waiting for her to decide. SinB didn’t give in to her desire to turn her head and faces Yerin because she could feel the air becoming dampen with every minutes that passed. At first, SinB decided to just storm out of the car when the woman stopped the car just now. But then, the woman’s voice is so soft and cajoling that her heart begins to tremble and when she could feel the sad emotion envelopping them, SinB just shakes her head weakly, and said ’no, it’s okay’ under her breath. 

”Okay then. Uh, what’s your address? I’ll set the navigation,” asked Yerin, pretending to not know where is it. Yerin can already drive to the apartment building that they both residing at with her eyes closed. But, the younger woman doesn’t know the fact, so she is planning to keep it to herself and surprises her when they arrive.

”You don’t need to. Just drives straight. I’ll tell you when we are approaching my apartment.” 

”Uh wait. Wait. Where is it?! Do you see it?” Yerin asks frantically tapping the sides of her thigh, body and chest, looking for something.

”What is it?” SinB finally turns her head facing the now panic woman in the driver’s seat. 

”My phone. Have you seen my phone and pager?” Yerin asks, slipping her hand in her pockets. SinB shakes her head and looks around her seat.

”Do you mind calling my phone?” Yerin asks and seeing the woman is panicking, SinB gets her phone, unlocks it and goes to contact, scrolls down to the entry saved under the name Duckie and press the call button. She even holds out her phone, listening to the ringing sound. 

After a few seconds, Yerin lifts up her buttock a bit and takes the phone that is laying underneath her. She taps the screen while smiling happily.

”Thank you for your number, SinB-ssi.” 

SinB’s eyes widen, she presses her lips together, biting her bottom lips resenting herself. She can’t believe that she just fell for the oldest and lamest trick of all to get a woman’s number. SinB greeted her teeth and sure that a vein in her head almost popped when she saw the name that Yerin saved her number under. 

Bi Future wifey <3. What the hell!!! Wait, oh okay, she saw my face. Good. Change it, Duckie. Fart! Now it’s Duckie’s Future Wifey Bi <3! Wait, Duckie? Ahh, she saw that? Well, that’s not as preposterous as future wifey, and what’s with the heart?!

SinB’s determination not to speak with Yerin immediately falters. She looks at the woman, her lips moves, wanted to say something but before she could utter a word, Yerin quickly glances at her as she begins to drive away from the spot they stopped.

”Hmm...?” Yerin hums, questioning SinB. The hums sound soft, loving and calming that SinB begins to stutter.

”Nothing, nevermind.” SinB turns away and stares out the window again mesmerised by the beautiful serene twilight sky. 

SinB stares at the sky and her lips curved into a contented smile. She loves the sky, just let her eyes roam freely at it. As much as she wanted to just enjoy the picturesque scenery as long as she can, but she could not help to perceive that she is currently in a moving car and it is moving really slow. It brings her out of her trance.

”Is there something wrong with your car? Can it go faster than this?” SinB complained as she turns to face the driver’s side.

”Oh, yes. Of course, it can. It’s just...SinB-ssi, can we go and have dinner first? I’m hungry.” 

At the mention of dinner, SinB’s stomach immediately grumbles. Luckily, it’s not loud enough to fill the silence atmosphere. SinB is hungry too but to agree with Yerin’s request, that means they will be spending more time together. But, she is hungry since she only had a sandwich for lunch. As SinB contemplates, the trauma surgeon turns her body facing the younger woman. Yerin puts her hands on her stomach on both sides of her belly button and pinches them repeatedly while pouting her lips, cutely saying, ”pweeassee...feed me pweease, I’m hungry...”

Damn! That’s just too cute. C’mon!

SinB nods her head and says okay. She clenched her fist, holding herself back from pinching that cute talking belly button. SinB could see from the corner of her eyes that Yerin is smiling happily but there is nothing she could do about it. She is not someone who acts cute nor crazy about something cute, but if someone does that, there will only be a couple of people who would say no to them. Those people must be really cold-hearted. 

”Where do you want to go?” Yerin asks in her usual calm demeanour. 

”I don’t know. Up to you.” SinB answers, keeping her eyes focus on the road ahead even though she is not the one driving. 

”What do you want to eat? Korean? Chinese? Chicken? Samgyeopsal? Stew? Italian? French? Bulgarian? Bibimbap? Japanese? Thai cuisine? Greek? Mexican?...”

SinB curses herself for making one poor choice after another. She swears she could see Yerin smiles slyly from the corner of her eyes as she lists down the types of cuisine from around the world that some of them that she have never heard of. SinB knows if she just gives the power of choosing to Yerin, they might end up eating nine-seafood stew in a restaurant two hours away from Seoul. So she blurted out a place where there are a lot of restaurants and only fifteen minutes drive from her apartment. Yerin just says okay and they headed towards the place without SinB having to give her the direction. After all, the place is well-known, so, SinB though the woman ought to know its location. 

Right after SinB and Yerin get out of the car. SinB immediately grabs the latter’s wrist and told the woman she knows which restaurant they should go and dine before Yerin could say anything. She practically drags the woman towards a restaurant serving all kinds of stew that she is craving right now through the sea of people walking on the sidewalk. The woman doesn’t say anything and just follow her. SinB is not that hungry but she is not going to give Yerin the slightest opportunity to say something and drags their conversation and time together. Everything that happened since this afternoon is the result of her giving the option to Yerin. So, she is curbing that from continuing to happen.

The restaurant is quite famous, so there is a line outside. SinB sighs, but by her rough estimation, they will get a table in a few minutes because it is easier for a party of two to be seated. She quickens her pace and abruptly stops to get in line. As she eagerly waits, a baseball rolled at her feet.

”I’m sorry, miss. Are you okay?” a woman who is holding a boy’s hand, and a man ask. SinB looks at them, puzzled by their question.

Why would I not? The ball just rolled at my feet. Oh?! Oh! Shoot. I forgot.

SinB turns to her side and sees Yerin is covering with her hand, grimacing in pain. She heard Yerin says she is okay at the couple while shaking her head a few times. The couple asks her again and she nods her head but still covering . SinB totally forgot about the woman that she dragged for over hundred metres just now. She shoots a questioning stare at Yerin, but the woman didn’t say anything while the couple is still bowing and apologising to them. SinB moves Yerin’s hand from , and to her surprise, the woman’s lips are bleeding a bit.

”It’s okay, don’t worry. I’ll wash it. Your son should consider playing baseball, though.” Yerin lets out a small laugh to reassured the panic couple who keeps bowing and apologising. ”Really, I’m okay. It just looks bad.” Yerin then bows at the couple and reassured them. After a few more bows from the couple and being responded back by Yerin, the couple finally said their last apology and leave them. The hostess wave at them and guides them to a table, soon after. Yerin excuses herself to the toilet to wash her bleeding lips.

”Oh my, why did I bring her to this place? It’s full of hot soups and stews. Please, please, please don’t let anything else happens,” SinB mumbles to herself after Yerin left their table.

SinB orders a spicy seafood stew for her and a beef bone soup for Yerin while the woman is still in the toilet. She thought it might stings if the older woman eats spicy food with a cut on her lips, and if she wanted the spicy stew, SinB would just swap their order. She doesn’t mind eating any of them. 

”I already ordered the food for you, beef bone soup,” SinB said when Yerin comes back from the toilet with a swollen bottom lip. The lip was cut a bit, not too serious that needed any stitches.

”Ohh?” marvelled Yerin.

”I don’t think you should eat something spicy right now with that cut. But, I ordered something spicy, we can swap if you want.” SinB explains.

”No, it’s okay. Thank you.” Yerin shakes her head and smiles dreamingly at SinB.

An ounce of regret sneaks into SinB’s heart. Yerin must have thought she is beginning to like her. The smile is a great indication of it. But, that is not what she is aiming for or even doing. 

”Why are you so unlucky? Why do you always get injured?” SinB asked, attempting to crush Yerin’s hope.

”I don’t know, I don’t mind. I always get injured when I see you-” 

”Then, don’t be around me!” SinB snapped cutting Yerin mid-sentence.

”Why? I love you. I don’t mind getting injured to be with you. And even if I do get injured, you will always treat me. You took the oath.” Yerin flashes a gummy smile at SinB who just sighs in defeat.

Arghh Hippocrates, why did you have to write that oath?! SinB bites her inner cheek, she never thought that she could loathe someone whom she never met. The person she just saw his portrait in her textbooks. The person who is going to make her life a little bit more difficult, especially with Jung Yerin who she knows will not hesitate to quote him in their encounter. 

Just then, the waiter approaches them with some banchans, rice and water. The waiter carefully transfers everything onto the table and walk away before coming back with their stews. SinB traces the waiter’s every move with her eyes while silently praying that no accident will occur. Her prayer was answered. The waiter smiles at them and asks if they need anything else before leaving them with their dinner.

SinB sighs in relief and focuses her attention on the food. Yerin does the same. They eat quietly. Well, SinB was kind of forcing Yerin to eat quietly when she didn’t answer her questions or answer without showing any interest to talk. The two clear everything in their bowls and plates before leaving the restaurant.

SinB insisted on paying for the food but gave up when Yerin wouldn’t budge and they end up holding a line behind them. Yerin paid for the food and they leave the restaurant after apologising to the two couples in line behind them. It seems like Yerin still has a room in her stomach when the woman stops by a convenience store when they are walking to the car. SinB just waits for the woman outside of the store and doesn’t ask her what she bought. 

”Dr. Jung, you can drop me at the gate. You don’t have to go in. You need to register as visi-” 

Teet.

”tor...” SinB blinks her eyes rapidly when the trauma surgeon winds down her window and taps a white access card at the gate console and drives into the apartment building’s compound. SinB still couldn’t believe or doesn’t want to believe what she just saw and its meaning.

The car comes to a complete stop in one of the parking spot located in front of SinB’s apartment block. SinB is still taken aback and she just let Yerin unbuckles her seatbelt. She is in trance. She keeps denying the fact in her mind. SinB gets out of the car while Yerin still getting the plastic bag filled with things she bought at the convenience store and SinB’s tote bag.

”Are you okay, SinB-ssi?” Yerin asks, bringing SinB back to reality.

”Don’t tell me...” for the first time today, SinB choke on her words.

”I live here,” Yerin smiles and gestures SinB to lead the way. SinB nods her head. 

Okay. That’s okay, SinB. There are three blocks. She must be living in one of the two blocks. There’s no way fate can be too funny to make us live in the same block. Haha.

”Ohh. Anyway, thank you for the ride home and dinner, Dr. Jung. I’ll take my leave, then. Good night.” SinB nods her head a bit and starts walking, leaving the trauma surgeon behind. Yerin trails behind SinB and tells her that she will walk her to her unit.

”It’s okay, Dr. Jung. You don’t have to. I can walk by myself. You will have to get back down and walk to your block, you shouldn’t waste your time and energy.” SinB keeps reassuring Yerin not to walk her home but the woman still follows her into the lift.

”It’s okay, SinB-ssi. I’m sure it’s not that far,” Yerin smiles at SinB while pointing her finger at the buttons on the lift’s wall, ready to push one of them.

”Six.” 

Yerin pushes the button with ’6’ printed on it. And they ride the lift in silence. The apartment unit that SinB shares with her two best friends is at the farthest corner of the building, so it’s a  bit of walk. Once again, she politely shoos Yerin saying it is safe and she could walk to her unit by herself. It is actually safe but the real reason she keeps shooing the woman is because she doesn’t want her two best friends know about this and of course she doesn’t want the trauma surgeon to know where she lives.

”I’m working in the morning too tomorrow, let’s go to work together tomorrow,” Yerin suggests.

”Oh, no, thank you. I’m going with my friends. Dr. Jung, you really don’t have to walk me to my unit. You must be tired, you should go home already,” SinB said politely, walking as slow as she can, hoping the stubborn woman who claimed she is a good listener will actually listen to her this time. But, to no avail, the woman matches her pace almost perfectly.

”Oh, your two friends? We can all go together then. I’m not tired. Plus, my unit is on the 10th floor. It’s not that far.” Yerin smiles.

C’mon fate, are you applying to be a comedian on Gag Concert now? I am not laughing. Stop, please.

They are already at the end of the building and there are two units in front of them. SinB sighs and turns around facing Jung Yerin. She forces a smile at the woman.

”This is me, Dr. Jung. Thank you again for the ride and dinner. Good night. Bye.” SinB nods her head a bit, taking her tote bag that she had totally forgot all about from Yerin and holds out her arm out, gesturing to the woman to take her leave.

”It’s my pleasure and my job SinB-ssi. Have a good rest and sleep tight. Sweet dreams of me. Go on, I’ll leave as soon as you get in.” Yerin smiles while winking at SinB and moves both her hands in a forward motion, gesturing the younger woman to get into one of the units in front of them.

”It’s okay, Dr. Jung. I’m sure it’s safe and I can get into my house safely.” SinB still stands at the corridor, at the middle of the two units.

”Please, go in. I am more assured if I see you go in. Or you can text or call me to let me know you are safe and sound?” Yerin flashes a hopeful gaze at SinB.

Choices...choices... This time, choose wisely, SinB. 

SinB takes two steps to her left and punches the keycode, waits for the beeping sound and opens the door to her apartment. She enters the unit without once turning around to look at the trauma surgeon who is following her every step with her gaze like a hawk. Luckily her two friends are not in the living room, so the two won’t find out about this.

Ting!

SinB fishes out her phone from her clutch as she walks to her room.

Duckie: I’m leaving.

Ting!

Duckie: I’m home. Have a good rest. Good night.

”Arghhh!!!” SinB screams at the top of her lung in frustration. She stomps her feet on the floor while air punching. SinB can’t believe it. And she thought she had made a wise choice earlier. She totally forgot that the trauma surgeon who apparently is in love with her already got her phone number. And now, the woman knows her house too.

Choices, my foot!

Umji and Yuju storm out of their room upon hearing SinB’s scream, looking at SinB questioningly and concernedly. SinB shakes her head and smiles apologetically at her two housemates before going into her room. She knows her two friends won’t let it go just like that and in three, two, one...the two barge in her room.

”Are you okay, SinB?” Umji asks while Yuju stares at SinB worriedly.

***

”Guess who?” 

Sowon looks at her phone’s screen one more time before answering the stupid and obvious question the person on the line is asking her. She recognises the voice and of course, she knows who it is because the caller ID shows her so. But then, as stupid as the question, Sowon might be as stupid because instead of answering the question immediately she had to check her phone to confirm it.

”Yerin-ah, your number is saved in my phone. I already remember your number too. And I can recognise your voice.”

”Hahaha. Guess who?”

”Yerin-ah, are you drunk? Where are you? I’ll go and pick you up. Stay there.” Sowon said concernedly.

”I’m at home. I’m drunk in love with Hwang SinB. Did you guys had dinner?”

”Well, you are right about that. Yes. We already had dinner, but we don’t have any leftovers if you want to come over,” Sowon rolled her eyes when her best friend said she is drunk in love because as much as it is true, it is still cheesy and cringy.

”WAIT, you said you are at home? You’re home?!” Sowon just realised that Yerin is at home and she knows the woman is working tomorrow.

”Hehehe. Guess who?”

”Yerin-ah... You know what? I give up. Who are you?” Sowon grunted.

”Someone who just got her future wife’s number and walked her to her apartment after they just had dinner together and drove her home. Hihihi.”

”Are you serious?!” exclaimed Sowon.

”Wait, I’ll send you a picture.”

Sowon opens the new message she received from Yerin that she attached a picture with. She clicks on the picture, anticipating a picture of Yerin and her future wife that she is talking about. 

”That’s a picture of you standing in front of a mirror, somewhere with a cut on your lips. What the?! Are you sure you are not drunk, Yerin-ah? Tomorrow, let’s scan your brain and maybe see a psychiatrist. I’m worried.” Sowon said angrily at first but then softened and finally sounded genuinely worried. 

”Yeah! See that? I got a cut on my lips because this one kid thought it will be okay to play with his new baseball on the street full of people. I always got some sort of injury when I’m around SinB!”

”Yerin, that’s not something you should be ecstatic about,” said Eunha as she throws herself on the couch next to Sowon.

”She’s right, Yerin-ah. But, wait...are you being serious? Spit it all out, Duckie.” Sowon demanded and she and Eunha listen attentively to Yerin’s story.

”Badass noona huh?! Wow! Why didn’t you tell me you are going for a jog? I would have tagged along. I want to be a badass noona too.” Sowon pouted her lips when Eunha glares at her.

”I wasn’t planning to. Because she had to wait for someone on the next shift who’s running late, so I just went for a jog to kill some time while waiting for her.”

”You casually call SinB ’her’. What are you guys together now?” Sowon asks.

”Well...she might have fallen for me already? She ordered seolleongtang for me at the restaurant when I was in the toilet cleaning my cut. She said it would sting if I eat spicy things. That count as something, isn’t it?” 

”That’s being considerate, Yerin.” Eunha argued. ”But, I guess that’s a good start.” Eunha then consoled Yerin.

”She did reject you when you went to confess to her the second time, didn’t she? Are you sure you want to go through this, Yerin-ah?” Sowon asks, concerned with her best friend.

Sowon looks at her girlfriend, Eunha is also wearing the same concerned look on her face. Sowon knows Yerin well, so does Eunha. Yerin will give her everything for the woman she loves, she is actually a perfect partner anyone would want. Even when people complained about her being a busy surgeon, she always makes way to do almost everything she thought her partner should get.

It’s just she hasn’t been lucky in her love life. She somehow will end up getting dumped although she was a perfect partner. And that Yerin, the one who got dumped, only Sowon knows how bad she is at that time. Eunha might know about it to an extent but she doesn’t know or see Yerin at her worst because that was when the two broke up years ago.

Yerin always believe that if she loves someone, she would do everything within her capabilities to show her love for the woman. She will chase after the woman, showers her with love, attention, everything. Surely, anyone would fall for that because she did it sincerely, out of her love for them. Everything literally means everything for Yerin including still giving and being the best for the woman she loves even when they broke up with her. Yerin loves people with all her might and she will be brokenhearted when the woman dumped her. She will just accept the decision as it is because for her, they are entitled to their decision and she doesn’t have the right to ask or challenge them.

The brokenhearted Yerin is a complete opposite of the normal Yerin, and Sowon doesn’t have a heart to let her best friend to go through that for the third time. Yerin had been through it two times, Sowon fears that if she is going through it the third time, she wouldn’t make it back to her normal self. It’s painful for her to watch her friend to waste her life away, but at that time, nothing could be done to make it better or change it. So, she thought she could try help Yerin with the shaman, but that obviously was a waste. The only other way is not to get her to fall even deeper. It and mean for her to do that, but, she loves that brat although they always bicker.

”I think it’s too late now. Well, I didn’t stand a chance at all. I fell in love with her the moment I saw her, completely head over heels in love with her. She did reject me but I told her I’m courting her and I don’t remember she said no. She said she doesn’t want to be someone’s girlfriend and I told her I’m planning to make her my wife. So, I think you get how deep I have fallen, Sowon.” 

Sowon lets out a heavy sigh. It’s like Yerin could read her mind and knows exactly what her reservation.

”If it doesn’t work out, my best friend will have my back, right Sowon-ah?”

”Always,” Sowon forces a smile. A bitter smile is formed. ”So, you are working the normal, morning shift this week, aren’t you? Let’s go for a run after work then. Are you game?” asks Sowon, trying to change the topic.

”Sure. I’ll let SinB knows tomorrow. I think she is going back home with her friends. Unless that conceited boy is running late again. He should know what awaits if he’s running late again.”

”Are you meeting SinB again tomorrow?” Sowon asks.

”I hope to. I asked her to go to work together tomorrow. But, she said she’s going with her two housemates. I doubt she is going to because I told her they can ride with me. So, I’ll try and wait for her early in the morning. She probably will leave early. I don’t know. Let’s hope fate is on my side this time.”

”Oh okay, then. I’m guessing you are going to ask her to have breakfast together then? Let us know how it goes tomorrow.” Sowon yawns. Eunha has already dissapeared into her bedroom. 

”Alright, will do. Sowon-ah, thank you.” Yerin’s sincerity can be heard from her voice, earnestly thanking Sowon, tugging her heart. 

”So, how are you two progressing?” 

Sowon shakes her head, smiling at Yerin’s question. They never let themselves to be engrossed in a sentimental mood ever since they known each other during the first year of medical school. Even when Yerin protected her and took a beating from her male cousin when she came out to her parents about her ual preference. Yerin was there for her along the way, during the first few months that her father detested her for it and slowly accepting her. 

Sowon lived with Yerin starting that day when they both got beaten. She just got a couple of bruises but Yerin got stabbed at the side of her rib cage. They took care of each other ever since and even then, they just said thank you and hug it out once. That was all. It’s not that they are not warm-hearted people, but they are more comfortable that way when it is between them.

”We are experimenting things, getting to know each other...not as a friend.” Sowon smiles at the thought what she and her girlfriend had been doing in the past month.

”I really hope you two didn’t get into some stuff. Hahaha. But, enjoy the sleepless nights while it lasts, Sowon-ah.”

”No! Aih. Is that all you have in that bright mind of yours?” Sowon grunted.

”Yah! I’m bright, you got that right. I just heard the bedroom door a few minutes ago, and your forced yawns. It’s only nine, Sowon-ah. Don’t take me for a fool. Enjoy it for another month or so. I’m not going to take more of your time. Good night. And I really mean it, a good one. Haha. See you tomorrow. Bye.”

”Yah!”

”Hahahah. Click.”

Sowon stares at her phone. Yerin just hung up on her, but not before giving her a supply of her evil, dirty laughs. Sowon chuckles before getting up from the couch and turning off the lights. She opens the bedroom door and being welcomed by a pleasing and alluring sight that she loves so much right now. Sowon swallows the lumps stuck on for the nth time, her heartbeat is getting frenzy but she learnt that it’s best to keep it slow and steady. Gently, she closes the door behind her and with a dazzling smile plastered on her face she strides towards the woman who is sitting at the edge of the bed, already waiting for her.

***

”What’s wrong?” asked Umji, slumped on SinB’s single bed.

”Nothing actually. Just annoyed with someone,” SinB responded as she wipes off the light make up that she reapplied before leaving the hospital a few hours ago.

”Who is that unlucky person?” Yuju asks, chuckling with Umji.

”No one. Just the intern from group B, couldn’t remember his name. He was late for his shift.” Wow, that’s a blatant lie, SinB-ah. Just partly. I am not fond of his lateness.

”Ahh. The reason you had to stay back this evening. Tomorrow, you should ask someone from his group to remind him not to be late. He do know that Dr. Jung is one of the disciplinary board members, right? There will be consequences if he does it for two consecutive shifts.” Umji explains while playing with Yuju’s fingers.

”Wait, what? She is?” SinB asks, surprised by the new information.

”Ne. You didn’t know? That’s why I was scared to death at that time, the coffee incident. Remember? Plus, Chief Bae knew about it. So... I was really thankful that Chief Bae and Dr. Jung didn’t take any action.” Umji frowns her brows at SinB who seems really surprised. She thought her best friend would know it because the information was printed in the handbook that everyone got on their first day in the surgical programme.

”How come I didn’t know about this?” SinB asks.

”SinB-ah, did you read the handbook?” Yuju asks, equally perplexed as SinB but for a very different reason. SinB usually the one who would study the notes or books from cover to cover, but it seems like she didn’t this time.

”I did! From cover to cover.” SinB exclaimed.

”Probably you missed the part on the disciplinary section. It’s okay. I don’t think you are going to get into trouble, like...ever. Ohh, did you had dinner? We ate at the restaurant earlier, so there’s nothing in the fridge.” 

SinB nods at Umji’s question. She doesn’t elaborate and fortunately Umji doesn’t ask as well. They spend half an hour talking about their day and when her friends ask about lunch, SinB just told them she ate a sandwich in the park by the cafeteria. 

I’m getting good at lying now because of you, Duckie! She didn’t ask you to, SinB-ah. She didn’t leave me a choice. She said she loves me and starts treating me like we are together. And we just met at the hospital, professionally. She’s an attending and I just started my internship. I see...that’s why. Do you realise that you never said you don’t like her as the reason. Perhaps she was right, you like her.

”What did you say?!” SinB’s voice is a bit louder, suprising Umji, Yuju and herself because she didn’t mean to shout it out loud. It was supposed to be she fighting with her inner self in her own mind.

”Let’s have breakfast at the cafe tomorrow morning before our shift starts, SinB-ah. Why are you so worked up? We will have enough time to eat, and let’s eat a hearty breakfast just like today. I think it really helped me get through the day. Now, I know why breakfast is the most important. Not going to ridicule Dr. Jung Yerin anymore for loving eating. We really do need it.” 

Yuju nods her head rather enthusiastically, agreeing with Umji. She and SinB always like to eat, unlike Umji. 

”Ouh, speaking of which-” 

”Which which?” Umji asks playfully, cutting SinB before she could finish her sentence. SinB rolled her eyes, knowing exactly what Umji is implying. 

”Speaking of breakfast. I’m going to work a bit early tomorrow, had something to do.” Yeah, avoiding a certain trauma surgeon. ”I’ll wait for you two at the cafeteria, okay?” SinB looks at the two women lying on her bed to get their confirmation. They gesture the ’okay’ sign with their hands at SinB. SinB smiles and gets up from the chair, grabbing her towel and heads towards the bathroom to wash up.

***

”What are you doing here?” SinB asks the person leaning against the wall beside the lift. She didn’t expect to see her this morning. Yes. Her. Jung Yerin a.k.a. Duckie a.k.a. The good listener who only listens when she wants to. 

”Waiting for you to go to work together.” Yerin smiles, holding out her hand, pointing at SinB’s handbag.

SinB sighs. She wanted to cry out her frustration, but it is too early in the morning. Plus, her make up is on point, she doesn’t want to ruin it this early. 

SinB sighs again, asking the woman smiling brightly in front of her, ”what are you doing Dr. Jung?”

”I’m courting you. Let me carry your bag.” Yerin beamed.

”What if my housemates see this, you and me?” SinB asks, tapping her feet impatiently wait for the lifts to reach their level.

”Oh? Do you want to keep us a secret? I can do that. Next time, I’ll just wait for you at the stairs? Or at the ground floor.” Yerin said with her smiles grew bigger when SinB reluctantly hands her the handbag that the younger woman had hanged on her shoulder.

”There is no US. It’s YOU and ME.” SinB points her finger on her chest and then towards Yerin’s. She repeats this gesture another two times. ”And no, keeping what a secret? I told you yesterday, I’m not planning to be someone’s girlfriend and I don’t like people forcing me,” SinB continues and stops as the lift’s door open and there are already three high school students and two women in the lift. SinB and Yerin step in and ride the lift in silence, standing side by side at first. Then, Yerin stands facing SinB’s side to make room for a man who gets on the lift on the second floor.

”Do you want to ride the bus...? Yerin asks hesitantly.

”What?!” 

”I mean, it would be better if I drive us to work. But, if you want to ride the bus, I’m okay with that,” stuttered Yerin as she was startled by SinB’s enraged roar. SinB flashes a menacing look at Yerin.

”Drive it is.” Yerin gulped before moving her hand forward in the direction of the parking lots.

Yerin swallows the lumps on . She places her hand on her chest, checking if her heart is still beating and in place. Yerin reminds herself to try and not get on SinB’s nerves often as the younger woman is kind of scary when she is really annoyed. She swears her heart stop beating and it felt like it dropped to the ground when SinB roared and glared at her just now. Yerin nervously opens the door for SinB and prays silently that she will not do or say anything stupid anymore. She gets into the driver’s seat and knows not to try to buckle SinB’s seatbelt, so she immediately starts the engine. Yerin doesn’t have the courage to look at SinB, steals quick glances at the woman who is looking strikingly beautiful when she is angry. With those few glances, Yerin falls for her even deeper.

”Would you like to have breakfast together? There’s a coffee shop near the hospital-” Yerin asks, but was cut by SinB with a cold ’no’.

”Okay,” Yerin said weakly, disappointed but decides not to push SinB.

”Do you mind if I stop at the cafe to get some coffee? I promise, we are not going to leave the car, I won’t try anything funny or make you have breakfast there or anything. They have a drive-through lane,” assured Yerin to which SinB nods her head after side-glaring her.

For the nth time, Yerin swallows hard. She taps on her phone when they stop at the red light. She calls Sowon and puts it on speaker. Slowly, she steps on the accelerator, waiting for the woman to pick up the call.

”Hello. Don’t make me guess who are you,” Sowon’s voice fills the silence car.

”Aniya. I’m getting coffee. What you and Eunha want?” Yerin asks, flustered by Sowon’s remark from their conversation last night.

”Uh? From that y waiter’s and attractive barista’s cafe?” 

”What do you want? Hurry up. And you are on speaker, Sowon-ah,” Yerin said, controlling herself not to yell at the woman for blurting out unnecessary things. She always gets coffee from the same coffee shop if they didn’t get it from the coffee cart at the hospital.

”The usual,”

”I want a latte. Uh, are you eating there?” Eunha, as usual cutely asks, indicating that she wanted something else other than her coffee.

”Drive-through. Wae? I think they can grab a croissant if you want.” Yerin said, knowing exactly what the petite woman wants.

”Yes, please. Oh, so you are going to have breakfast with us? Okay. Call Irene too, she’s joining us for breakfast. Bye.” Eunha ends the call and Yerin scrolls the call log and taps on Irene’s number.

”I’m getting coffee. What do you want?” Yerin asks after exchanging greeting with the woman on the line.

”Um. Eunha texted me. Barley tea for me and can you grab a caramel macchiato for Seulgi too. And two Pain Au Chocolat for us. Thank you. Bye.” Irene ends the call immediately after.

Yerin glances over her shoulder to peek at SinB’s face, hoping that the woman is calm down. No. The same vexed expression, and somehow even scarier. Yerin musters all her bravery and asks SinB, ”what you and your friends drink? They also have chocolate and bottled drinks if you don’t want coffee.”

”Ahh. Here I thought you never going to ask the person sitting next to you...” Yerin swallows hard for the second time in ten minutes. ”One Americano, one caramel macchiato and a hot chocolate,” said SinB coldly. Yerin couldn’t say anything just nods her head.

Yerin drives her car slowly at the drive-through lane in by the coffee shop. It’s not actually a typical drive-through lane like in the fast-food chain restaurants. It’s just a lane by the shop’s window where they place the order, pay and wait for the order at the same place without having to leave the car. Yerin places the order from her friends, hers, and SinB’s, and added another two drinks for Dr. Park and his new girlfriend. Yerin also orders an extra croissant and a Pain Au Chocolat for SinB without asking her. She asks the cafe worker to put SinB’s orders and Dr. Park’s on one coffee cup carry tray and the other five on another carry tray.

Yerin carries the coffee trays and two brown paper bags filled with the pastries. She gives up trying to carry SinB’s handbag when the woman glared and hissed at her. Yerin could not help but feel that the younger woman is even furious compared to after they got off the lift earlier. She didn’t say anything and just trails behind SinB, following her to the interns/residents’ change room. 

”Dr. Park, I got you and your girlfriend coffee. Here it is.” Yerin holds out the coffee tray at the man who looks surprised with her presence, but still takes two cups of the coffee that Yerin pointed at by pouting her lips.

”Thank you, Dr. Jung. I’ll see you later at the OR. We got a pretty busy day, today.” 

Yerin nods her head and smiles back at the man who is still in his long sleeve shirt and slacks. Yerin places the tray on the bench in front of the lockers when SinB stops walking.

”I got you some pastries. And are you going back home with your friends later?” Yerin asks as she shows SinB the brown bag that she put on the coffee tray. 

”Yes,” SinB responded coldly.

”Okay. I’ll go for a run with Sowon then. Take care. Don’t forget to eat. Text me if that guy is late again today.”

Yerin waits for SinB to respond, at least hums or grunts, but nothing. So, she just excuses herself and takes her leave after carefully, quietly as possible but audible said ’I love you’ to SinB.

”Is she mad at me because I didn’t ask her first what she wants?” Yerin mumbles to herself as she leaves the change room.

Why are you angry at her for not asking what you want first before calling her ex-girlfriends? SinB stares at the coffee cups, bewildered at her own thought.