Neolamyeon meog-eul lae?

Unlucky

“Dr. Park, I heard about it. I’m sorry,” SinB said to the third-year resident that she saw with Yerin earlier.

”Ahh, yes. It’s always difficult, but we did our best. It’s the season now,” the man smiles warmly at SinB although it is evident that he is still troubled by what happened.

”The season?” SinB asks.

”Um yeah...you know, students are getting their results. So, cases like this often increase during this time. I don’t like it as much as Dr. Jung, but that is part of the job...” Dr. Park sighs. SinB nods her head, amazed but still feels sad with the fact. 

”Are you ready?”

Both Dr. Park and SinB look up at the woman asking the question. It was Im Nayeon, the second-year intern or also known as Dr. Bae Irene’s informant, specifically for Jung Yerin’s update only. SinB and Nayeon exchange smiles and pleasantries.

”Did you find someone to swap with you?” Nayeon smiles and nods at Dr. Park.

”I’ll get change first,” Nayeon excuses herself and goes to the bathroom to change, leaving SinB and Dr. Park sitting on the bench in the middle of the change room.

”I have a day off tomorrow. I’m going out to drink. It’s always hard when you fail to save someone, especially if it’s a kid. Well she had graduated high school but she was so young. Have you had any experience, Dr. Hwang?” 

”Not yet, I was hoping that it wouldn’t be soon. I saw how bad it was for my friend. So, do people always drink when this happens?” SinB asks, curious about it since she saw Umji did it a few weeks ago.

”Not everyone does it. Most people do. It helps sometimes. Drink all your feelings away. I only do it when it is really hard, and for me, kids are always the hardest. And I only do it if I have the next day off. Sometimes I ask for a day off when it’s too hard and feels like I can’t do well if I’m working.”

SinB nods her head a few times. She didn’t realise the man is talkative until now. They bumped into each other and exchange a few pleasantries before but they never really talk. SinB wanted to excuse herself but the man is still talking about some of the cases that he finds it difficult to handle. It’s not like SinB has to be somewhere or something to do, but she doesn’t know the man well to keep talking to him. Plus, she is not a chatty person especially with someone she is not close with. 

”You know you can ask for a day off when you just had a case like me and don’t feel like you can focus and work. Dr. Jung Yerin advocated for it. It was really helpful, so you can gather yourself together back and get back to work without the burden. So, if you just had someone died on the table and you think it is too hard for you to handle, you can ask for a day off or your next shift off, they will grant your request if they see fit.” 

”Oh?” SinB asks, a bit surprised with what the man just said. She didn’t know that.

”Yes. You can.” Dr. Park nods his head, confirming what he said and convincing SinB that it is true.

”Yes, Dr. Hwang. I asked for a day off last week. Are you ready?” 

SinB just nods at the woman when she came out of the bathroom and seconding what the man told her. Dr. Park gets up, ready to leave with Nayeon. SinB smiles at the two and also excuse herself to leave. She was ready to leave, minutes ago but she doesn’t know how to cut the man from talking. The three leave the change room together.

”Dr. Park, Dr. Im. Be careful. Don’t drive back. Call someone or get a taxi. You can call me too,” Yerin greets her resident and his girlfriend when the two and SinB came out of the change room. Yerin smiles and nods her head slightly at SinB. 

”Will do, Dr. Jung,” the man smiles at his superior and the four of them get into the lift together.

Dr. Park takes his girlfriend’s hand and parted way with Yerin and SinB once they got out of the lift. SinB was a bit surprised when she saw Yerin earlier. The trauma surgeon didn’t text or call her to offer her a ride home and she wasn’t expecting her to since it is not night time yet, she usually takes the bus to go back home. They stand there watch Dr. Park leave the hospital with Dr. Im who only Yerin knew was dating.

”Are you okay? Do you want to do that too?” SinB doesn’t know what has got into her that she just asked Yerin that. 

”Huh? Do what? Go out for drinks?” Yerin asks SinB for clarification.

”I don’t do that. I don’t really like to drink.” Yerin smiles at SinB before continues, ”but if you want to, I’d be happy to accompany you.” SinB shakes her head. She too doesn’t like to drink.

”Aniya. I don’t like to drink as well. It’s just Umji also did the same the last time and Dr. Park is also doing the same thing,” SinB explains.

”Ahh. Well I don’t do that. I don’t really like drinking and I don’t have the privilege to do that,” said Yerin.

”Because you might get called to the hospital?” SinB asks, Yerin nods.

”What do you do then?” SinB asks. Yerin moves her hand forward towards SinB and backwards towards herself gesturing ’this - being with you’. She repeats the hand gesture a couple of times, smiling cheekily.

SinB sighs, rolling her eyes. She was being serious and concerned about the woman because of what happened earlier, but the trauma surgeon took the time to flirt with her. Seeing Yerin is happy enough to flirt, SinB walks away, heading towards the main entrance to go back home. SinB’s step halted when her hand is being grabbed by Yerin.

”I’ll show you,” Yerin said as she slowly moves her hand from the younger woman’s forearms to her hand and intertwined their fingers. Yerin pulls SinB’s hand softly as she walks back to the lift. SinB sighs and follows Yerin. She pulls back her hand, releasing her fingers from Yerin’s grasp, ”we are in the hospital, Dr. Jung.”

Yerin lets SinB’s hand go. SinB stands next to Yerin as they wait for the lift. Both of them just stares at the two metal panels in front of them. When the lift door’s open, they let everyone get out before Yerin holds out her hand, gesturing SinB to get in. SinB gets in and stands at the corner. Yerin gets in and presses the last button on the first row from the top. They ride the lift until the last floor. Yerin leads SinB and they walk to one end of the building and go out through the fire exit, and then climb up the stairs. SinB just follow Yerin’s lead to a place she has never been to before - the rooftop.

SinB looks around. There are a tent, a wooden bench and a canvas beach chair near the edge of rooftop’s railing. Yerin stands by the chair, looking at SinB with a faint smile. SinB stares at the woman with a puzzled look.

”Sometimes I’ll come here, lies on the chair and stares at the sky. Then I’ll sleep on the chair or in the tent,” said Yerin lowly, as she sits on the said chair, staring into space.

”Can I hug you, SinB?” Yerin asks earnestly, her voice and face are solemn as they were when they met at the park’s bench.

”You just like staring at the sky, don’t you?” SinB asks, changing the subject while ignoring the woman’s request.

SinB sits on the wooden bench not far from Yerin. SinB doesn’t think the woman’s request was too much, but they are still in the hospital’s compound and someone might see them. Knowing how people like to gossip in this hospital, it might be blown up out of its context and it can be as deadly as Yerin is ually harassing her which definitely will end the woman’s career.

”Yeah, that and you,” Yerin turns to her side, looking lovingly at SinB.

That is one of Yerin’s good quality that SinB immediately picked up after talking to Yerin twice. Not the staring, but she does like how loving the woman’s eyes and expression whenever Yerin looks at her. It’s about Yerin never pushes her or pesters her to do something. Yerin would always ask, and when she says no, the woman immediately moves on and says something else. Except for driving her back home from the hospital when it’s night time. Yerin always try to win the argument.

Yerin’s gaze that is literally shooting hearts from her eyes making SinB blushes. She looks away, pretending not to hear the woman. She tries her best but she continues to blush when Yerin keeps staring at her. Now, not only her face but her ears also turn red.

Yerin stares at the younger woman who currently holds her heart prisoner for another few minutes before turning back around and stares at the sky. Yerin can see SinB is blushing and her ears are getting redder, so she decides to stop staring and making her uncomfortable. She stares into nothingness, letting her mind free of all the guilt for not being able to save the student’s life this afternoon. The heat from the sun and the cool breezes are consoling her, assuring her that life and death were never hers to decide. She vowed to do her best and that was exactly what she did, but death was written for that girl.

She takes a deep breath and exhales slowly. Yerin sits back, relaxing on the beach chair, feeling the breeze softly brushing her cheeks. She is not a fan of height, she couldn’t go and leans on the railing at the edge of the rooftop, but she is okay with staying here where she can only see the vast sky above her, feeling the wind blows on her. She is quite afraid if she looks down from this height as this is a 20-floors high building. Yerin could only look down without feeling excessive fear from her apartment since it is only 10-floors high.

Staring at the sky somehow calms her mind down and keeps herself together. And doing that with the woman she loves right now, wipes off the heavy feeling in her heart from what happened earlier this day quicker than it usually takes. SinB’s presence has made her life more meaningful and happier ever since the first time she met her, albeit, she did and still get into unfortunate events like falling off a chair, getting knocked by stretcher and things, her life is way brighter for her now.

Honestly, if she just has a quick glance of SinB’s face is enough for her to feel energised and calm to face her day that mostly is challenging. Just be in the same space as SinB makes her happy. Yerin smiles, appreciating and thanking in her heart for this opportunity right now.

”You said the other day, you sleep in the tent on the rooftop. Is this where it is?” SinB asks after she is sure the blood that was rushed to her face is circulating again and her face and ears are back to their normal complexion.

”Yes. Sometimes I just sleep on the bench. I sleep here if I want some peace. The on-call room and the cafeteria can be too noisy sometimes. I stayed here if I don’t go home.” Yerin stands and walks back to the tent. She goes into the tent to find something to eat because her stomach starts growling. Yerin hasn’t had her lunch and dinner.

”Neolamyeon meog-eul lae?” Yerin asks SinB from inside of the tent. That is all she has in the tent, ramyeon. She hasn’t been here for a while since she always sleep at home because she drives SinB home. So, she didn’t stock up food in here.

”What?!” SinB asks, half-screaming at it because she couldn’t believe what she just heard.

Cold sweat is forming on SinB’s forehead. She can’t believe what she just heard and see right now. Yerin is inside the tent and SinB can see the woman is moving in the tent like she is tidying up the tent. SinB swallows hard. This is not what she has in mind. She simply wanted to console the trauma surgeon who had just lost a patient on her table and the patient was still a teenager. 

Oh ! Did I fell into her trap?! No. No. No. Is she serious? How tactless can she be? To have in a tent, and on the hospital’s rooftop! Wait. Why am I even thinking about how tactless she is for wanting to do it in a tent? I am not even going to do it with her! Not anywhere and surely not in a tent, never ever. Man! Why do I have to console her in the first place? SinB, why do you keep making yourself fall into her trap? 

SinB mumbles to herself as she looks around the vast rooftop, trying to find a place to hide. There is nowhere to hide. She has to get off the rooftop and the only way is via the fire exit where they came from earlier which means she has to pass by the tent. She keeps tapping her feet nervously on the floor and as she is about to get up from the bench, Yerin gets out of the tent.

”Do you want to have ramyeon before we go?” Yerin asks again.

”No! Why you?! No!” SinB yells wholeheartedly and gets up from the bench and starts walking towards the fire exit.

”Oh, okay. Sorry. My bad. How thoughtless I am,” Yerin is slightly taken aback by SinB’s fervent response. She didn’t know someone can be so mad over a ramyeon. 

”Let’s grab a nice dinner before we go back home. I’m hungry. Haven’t eaten anything heavy since this morning. Grrrrr!!”

Just then, Yerin’s empty, hungry stomach just demonstrates ’whales mating call’ seconding her motion. Yerin clearly is hungry and SinB who was angry at Yerin’s invitation for ramen earlier suddenly chuckles upon hearing the sound. Both Yerin and SinB are surprised by the latter’s sudden laugh while the young woman was just yelling a moment ago.

Yerin follows SinB’s lead while scratching her head that is not itchy at all, still dumbfounded by SinB’s sudden burst of anger when she asked her if she wants to eat ramyeon. She had dinner and lunch with SinB couple of times before and the young woman is not someone who only eats healthy food that she could get worked up over ramyeon. Yerin keeps thinking and come to a decision that perhaps SinB thought it was inconsiderate for her to just asks her to eat ramyeon for dinner. That wasn’t her plan though. She is really hungry at the moment and eating ramyeon is a quick fix, like an appetiser. She intended to go and have a proper dinner with SinB which is what they are going to do now, but with Yerin’s empty stomach.

**

”Emm...they don’t serve ramyeon,” Yerin mumbles to herself as she flips through the menu. SinB finally decided to have dinner at this restaurant although neither of them had been here before.

SinB gave up on asking Yerin to decide where they should have their dinner and bickering with Yerin over who should choose where they are going to have dinner. They were going back and forth asking what to eat for more than ten minutes, and SinB originally wasn’t going to give in because Yerin always made her decide. SinB sometimes is just like a typical woman, she also doesn’t know where to eat or what she wants to eat, and Yerin always says ’up to you, I don’t mind’. But, luckily Yerin is not like a typical woman that would say no if someone suggested a place, she always follows whatever that SinB decides.

SinB flips through the menu, looking at the choices of food available and pictures of appetising dishes. She has never been to the restaurant and doesn’t know if the food is good but the pictures are mouth-watering. SinB glances at the woman sitting in front of her, still flipping through the menu. The restaurant is quite packed with people and they are sitting at a small table for two, that’s the only reason why Yerin is sitting opposite to her. If they were sitting at a bigger table, Yerin will always sit perpendicular to her because she likes that position more as they will be closer than sitting across each other.

SinB already chooses a dish to order whilst Yerin is still flipping through the menu. SinB sighs, most likely, she will have to choose or suggest which food Yerin should order. Sometimes, SinB feels like she is the one wearing the pants in this relationship.

”Relationship? What about it? Did you say something, SinB? I didn’t hear you,” Yerin asks, looking up from the menu and waits for SinB to respond while waving at the waitress.

”What relationship? I didn’t say anything,” said SinB but she can feel her face is burning up, quickly asks Yerin, ”what are you having?”. Yerin showed the menu to her with her finger pointed at one of the hearty dishes and asks her back what is she getting. SinB does the same, pointing at the picture on the menu. Then, Yerin orders the food and drinks at the waitress.

SinB mentally slapped herself for letting the word slipped out of . She doesn’t even know why did she think about it in the first place. They are definitely not in a romantic relationship. They are not in some sort of  relationship other than two people who are working in the same hospital and live in the same apartment building. Who also occasionally go out for dinner, on their way back home. And one of them, Yerin that is, is in love with another one. That’s it. SinB doesn’t know what is the label of this thing she and Yerin has, but definitely not a relationship. Just a colleague who happens to be neighbour.

Yes, that’s it. A friendly and considerate colleagues/neighbours.

“You should take care of yourself better, Duckie-ah. Don’t skip your meals. You know it’s not healthy to do that. You are an adult and a doctor, you should’ve known better,” SinB starts blabbing to Yerin who is now resting her head on her arm that she puts on the table, looking lethargic.

Yes, SinB, the considerate colleague sometimes lectures her friendly colleague who is also her neighbour, Yerin. She sometimes also calls Yerin with her nickname, Duckie when they are not at work. She always addresses Yerin as Dr. Jung when they are in the hospital, and calls her Yerin once they are out of the hospital. SinB continues lecturing the older woman since Yerin didn’t say anything in response which somehow is encouraging SinB. SinB finally stops when she sees Yerin is smiling and staring at her dreamingly. She realises that Yerin is enjoying every second of her long speech that was supposed to be for reprimanding her.

SinB always does this. She automatically starts lecturing Yerin about taking care of her health, not to skip meals often, and to rest better. Almost every time they meet, SinB will do this and every single time, she promised herself not to repeat it again because Yerin always seems to be enjoying it instead of taking it seriously. And those dreaming smile and gaze are an indication of Yerin is falling deeper in love with her, which what SinB is trying to avoid.

SinB doesn’t want to lead the woman on, but, she can’t, out of nowhere says to Yerin ’stop falling in love with me’. It might sound weird because Yerin doesn’t say anything about that at that moment. She might look like a self-conceit person if she does that. Which she is not because that gaze is definitely beaming hearts from Yerin’s eyes. Ask anyone about it and everyone who is not blind can vouch for her.

”Okay, I’m sorry. How about this? Let’s meet for lunch and dinner every day. This way, you can make sure that I’m not skipping meals,” Yerin suggested as she gets her head off the table when the waitress comes with their orders in her hand. SinB doesn’t have to think before giving her answer that is short and should be expected by Yerin - no. 

Yerin’s face flashes a disheartened look for a moment before she nods and starts eating the food she ordered. She expected that SinB would say no to her suggestion, but she is not going to lie that she wasn’t hoping for the young woman to say yes. Yerin thought SinB has finally fallen for her seeing how often they meet and how SinB is much more comfortable with her nowadays. They even exchange a few texts more than SinB just replying to her good morning and good night texts. So, Yerin thought they are progressing in their relationship where she is not the only who likes and loves SinB. However, SinB just rejected her suggestion in a heartbeat is an indication that she still hasn’t made the young woman falls in love with her. Yerin is used to SinB’s rejection though, and this will not discourage her from doubling her effort to swoon the woman’s hearti over her.

”You have two days off. What are you going to do? Do you have a plan?” Yerin asks, glances up from her plate to SinB’s face.

”Resting. I’m going back to my parents’ tomorrow, we are having family dinner,” said SinB.

”Oh? I can drive you to your parents’ tomorrow,” Yerin said happily.

”No, no. It’s okay. You don’t have to. You must have a plan yourself. You don’t have to. I can go back to my parents’ myself,” SinB shakes her head, waving her hand quickly, gesturing a no.

”It’s okay. It’s nothing. I’m going back to my parents’ too, so, I can drop you at your parents’ first and then drive to mine,” Yerin smiles at the flustered SinB.

”No, no. It’s okay. Someone is picking me up tomorrow,” said SinB.

”Oh? Okay, then. What time are you leaving? I’ll wait for you to leave first, then I’ll leave for my parents’. In case if they can’t come and pick you up, I can still drive you there,” said Yerin coolly.

”No, it’s okay. He is definitely going to pick me up. You should leave for your parents’ first thing in the morning. Don’t worry about me,” SinB insisted.

”He? Is your oppa picking you up?” Yerin asks, still has no intention to stop concerning over SinB’s transportation issue.

”Em... Ne. Oppa is picking me up,” SinB said as she nods her head that is hanging low, avoiding Yerin’s gaze.

SinB feels somewhat uncomfortable because she is not telling Yerin the truth. It’s not like she is lying either. It is true someone who is a male and a year older than her is picking her up tomorrow, so, technically, he is an oppa for SinB. He is just not his biological brother, but they do have sort of family ties. SinB really hope that Yerin will stop insisting to wait with her because she said her oppa is picking her up. 

”Oh, great then!” exclaimed Yerin happily. SinB smiles and sighs in relief thinking that the woman across of her is finally satisfied and stops pestering her about it only to be welcomed by an unexpected twist.

”I get to finally meet your brother,” Yerin smiles while SinB is about to get a panic attack.

”No. It’s okay. You don’t have to. You should just go back to your parents and I will do the same. Don’t worry about a thing, don’t have to wait or meet anyone. Okay? Can we please stop talking about this?” said SinB, her voice unintentionally raised a bit.

Yerin swallows a big chunk of meat she has in , scared of how annoyed SinB sounded and nods her head. No words come out of Yerin’s mouth since then. Yerin thought she probably had crossed the line with SinB because the young woman only raised her voice when she is irritated. They finish eating their food and leave the restaurant after twenty minutes.

On the way to the car, Yerin stopped by a convenience store to get some milk. SinB goes into the store too to get some snacks that Umji and Yuju asked her to buy for them. The night news is on on the TV behind the counter. The anchor is reporting about the numbers of suicide cases today following the announcement of CSAT’s results this morning. SinB can see Yerin’s face changed into a sad one, but she didn’t say anything, neither do Yerin. Yerin pays for her milk and SinB’s snacks, then they leave the store.

**

SinB and Yerin walk towards the lift of their apartment building, wait for the lift and get on it in silence. Yerin, as usual, presses the button with number six on it and leans against the metal panel behind them. Neither one of them had uttered a word ever since they left the convenience store earlier. SinB had noticed Yerin’s face changed after the news about suicide on the TV at the convenience store and she doesn’t know what to say. SinB knows Yerin still feels bad about the patient she failed to save earlier. It seems like Yerin was okay when they were at the restaurant but now she looks like a shattered person she was when she bowed and apologised to the patient’s family.

Ting! The lift’s door opens. They have reached the sixth floor where SinB’s unit is located. Yerin looks at SinB quizzically when she just stands there without walking out of the lift. SinB moves forward towards the panel where all the buttons are and press the button with number ten on it without saying anything. In a few seconds, the lift’s door open again and SinB moves to walk out of the lift as she grabs Yerin’s wrist and drags the confused woman with her.

SinB doesn’t know which way is Yerin’s unit just drags herself and Yerin to the right after exiting the lift. She turns and looks at Yerin who still looks sad and dumbfounded. SinB then pulls Yerin into a hug. SinB did deny Yerin a hug earlier when the woman asked for it on the hospital’s rooftop but for a professional reason. And she is now hugging Yerin because she knows it might be of help easing Yerin’s feeling of guilt.

SinB wraps her arms around Yerin’s body and the woman rested her head limply on her shoulder and her arms wrapping SinB’s waist. SinB could feel warm liquid drops on her shoulder. Yerin is crying silently in SinB’s embrace.

”It’s okay. You tried your best,” cooed SinB softly as she pats the woman’s back tenderly. They stay in each other’s embrace for five minutes before Yerin pulls away exposing her red, teary eyes.

”Thank you, SinB. Let me walk you home,” Yerin said to SinB.

”Okay, but let’s put your milk in the fridge first. They might get spoiled,” SinB said as she pointed at the plastic bag that Yerin is holding. Yerin nods her head, hold SinB’s forearm and walks towards her unit. It so happens that Yerin’s unit is also at the same place as SinB’s unit on the sixth floor, the one at the corner. 

Yerin keys in the passcode. She turns back and smiles at SinB. Yerin tells SinB her door’s passcode before they enter the apartment. 

”You can come here anytime you want, SinB. Have a sit, I’ll put the milk in the fridge,” Yerin holds her arm out, pointing at the couch in the living room before leaving for the kitchen.

”SinB?” Yerin calls out the younger woman’s name.

”Hmm?” SinB responded.

”Do you mind if I go to the toilet really quick?” Yerin asks.

”Yes, sure,” SinB said, flashing a smile at the woman who is clenching her legs together holding in her pee.

”Thanks. I’ll be quick!” Yerin sprints towards the bathroom.

SinB just shakes her head. She sits on the couch and it is as comfy as Yerin once said to her when she asked why the woman sleeps there. The apartment is really neat without much decoration. There’s a flat screen TV hanging on the wall across the couch with the satellite TV decoder and a game console on the hanging shelf underneath it. The remote control for the TV and the game console are on the oval table in front of the couch. A bookshelf that is almost filled with medical books, cooking books, and comics rested against the wall on her right. There are a wooden garden table and two chairs out in the balcony which can be access via the sliding door to the left of the TV.

Since the unit is on the same side of SinB’s unit, SinB knows where the kitchen and rooms are. Behind her is the kitchen. SinB explores the apartment with only her eyes while she remains sitting on the couch in the living room. There’s a four-seater dining table in the kitchen, a side-by-side two-doors fridge, a microwave and a built-in stove equipped with an oven that every unit has. By the look of the dining table that is empty, SinB could tell that Yerin usually eats on the kitchen counter that separated the kitchen and the living room because there are a water bottle and some papers on the counter. There are two high swivel bar stool in front of the counter.

One thing that the kitchen and the living room have in common is there are A4 papers lying around on the table and the kitchen counter. SinB takes a look at the ones on the table in front of her and it’s a medical journal article. She flips through the papers and all of them are the same. SinB assumes the ones on the kitchen counter are also the same. There are a few different series of comics lying on the table as well. SinB reads their titles - Crayon Sin Chan, One Piece, and Doraemon. She chuckles when she flips through the comics. SinB just realised Yerin is a comic mania when she saw two rows of the bookshelf are filled only with neatly arranged One Piece comics. 

”Sorry for the wait,” Yerin said, standing behind the couch.

SinB shakes her head and smiles at the woman. She turns her body slightly and faces Yerin. 

”Are you okay?” SinB asks. Yerin shakes her head weakly and smiles flatly.

”Do you want me to stay here for a while?” SinB asks.

”If you don’t mind?” Yerin asks wearing a guilty and hopeful expression on her face.

SinB shakes her head and smile. Yerin smiles back at the younger girl and sits beside SinB. 

”Do you want to sit outside?” SinB asks.

Yerin shakes her head, ”it is chilly outside, you are going to catch a cold.” SinB just nods in understanding although she highly doubted that she will. 

”Do you want something to drink?” Yerin asks.

”No, thank you.” SinB said and Yerin nods.

Then the two sit there in silence. SinB is not one who always sits and stares into space in silence. She can’t stand being in a complete silence for long. That is not her style. She usually will listen to songs or at least turn on the TV even though she is not watching them but just for the sounds because she doesn’t like the feeling of emptiness. However, right now, sitting beside Yerin in silence doesn’t make her feel that way. She doesn’t feel empty nor the need for some sort of sounds. She feels at ease and peaceful. SinB is amazed at what is she feeling right now as it is the first time for her. Feeling as complete, content and peaceful as she should be. 

***

”Delivery for Miss Hwang.” 

SinB said yes in confusion when she answers the door’s buzz and open the door for the delivery man. While waiting for the delivery man to arrive, SinB keeps trying to remember if she bought anything online but nothing cross her mind. After a few minutes, the doorbell rings and SinB goes to open it. The delivery man smiles warmly at SinB and hands her a medium size container.

”Enjoy and have a great day.”

SinB smiles back at the man and thanks him but still with a baffled look. She takes the brown container and put it on the dining table. Carefully she examines the container and sees a small card is glued to the side of it. She takes the card and reads it.

I hope you like them. They are delicious. Enjoy. Love, Duckie.

SinB reads the card and of course she knew who is the sender now. But, what could possibly be delivered in a container in that size? SinB carefully lifts up the lids and there is something reddish in a plastic bag inside. She slowly opens the plastic that is only twisted to see the contents.

”Cabbage kimchi?!” SinB looks at the staple side dish for almost every human being in South Korea in disbelief. As SinB is still trying to get a grasp of reality that she has a container filled with cabbage kimchi in front of her, her phone buzzes.

Duckie: Do you want to have ramyeon with me? I just got the kimchi I ordered two nights ago. Did you get yours already? 

Duckie: Uhh...ramyeon and fresh kimchi...arghhh!!! That’s the best! I still have some aged kimchi if you like them more.

SinB: What?!

Duckie: Ramyeon. I have some dumplings too. Do you by any chance hate ramyeon? You were angry too two nights ago when I asked if you want some ramyeon. Ever since that night, I’ve been craving for ramyeon.

SinB: Who on earth gives people kimchi?

Duckie: Duckie did. They are always cheaper when you buy in bulk on the home shopping channel. I gave my parents’, Eunha’s, Sowon’s, and Irene’s. I haven’t met your parents, so I don’t know your address to send them the kimchi. I’ll send them once I’ve met them. 

Duckie: So, ramyeon for two? I’m drooling already. The water just boiled.

SinB: Sure...

Duckie: Alright. You know the code, just let yourself in.

SinB stares at her phone, and then the container filled with kimchi. This is the weirdest thing she ever experienced in her whole life. She has never received a container full of kimchi from anyone. SinB lets out a soft chuckle as she stores the container in the fridge. They do like to eat kimchi, and it’s convenient to have kimchi stocked in the fridge so they can eat them with freshly cooked rice. There are some banchans in the fridge that her mother made and SinB brought them home this morning. She didn’t take the kimchi in her mother’s fridge because there are still some left in the fridge, the packet one they bought from the convenience store.

SinB laughs as she realises that she had misunderstood Yerin two days ago on the rooftop. Yerin was really asking her if she wanted to eat ramyeon, not the ual innuendo used of the same lines. Yerin probably wasn’t aware of them and SinB was scolding her for nothing. SinB takes the card and put it in her study’s drawer before leaving. 

**

Dingdong! 

SinB presses the doorbell despite knowing the passcode. She waits for Yerin to get the door.

One minute.

.

.

Two minutes.

.

.

Three minutes.

.

.

SinB bites her bottom lips, on the verge of losing her patience. Tapping her feet as she crosses her arms.

Four minutes.

.

.

SinB clenches her teeth and literally punches the buttons, keying in the passcode. She waits for the sound before opening the door with a determined mind to scold Yerin for not getting the door when she rang the bell earlier. As soon as she enters the apartment, the smells of the ramyeon, kimchi and prawn dumplings welcome her. Suddenly all her built-up anger over the unanswered door just now vanished into thin air. Yerin is transferring the pot from the stove onto the kitchen counter where a plate of fried dumplings and a plate kimchi are already placed on. 

”Hey, just in time. Let’s eat.” Yerin greets SinB and motion the young woman to sit at the kitchen counter as she gets the bowls and chopsticks from the drying rack.

SinB drags one of the bar stool and places it across the kitchen counter. The stools were originally side by side on the part that is in the inside part of the kitchen. She sits on the stool that she moved from the inside to the outer part of the kitchen because she thinks it would be easier for them to eat and so she will not be sitting too close to Yerin. Yerin places the bowls and chopsticks on the table and tells SinB to eat first while she grabs the water from the fridge.

”Dig in!” Yerin said cheerfully as she starts eating the ramyeon she just cooked. SinB nods, thanking Yerin and begin to eat as well. 

Just like Yerin said, the kimchi is delicious. The dumpling is also cooked to perfection, since Yerin pan-fried them, they are perfectly crispy on one side and fluffy on the other side. SinB is quite surprised that Yerin can cook. Well, it’s not really cooking because the ramyeon, she just need to mix the pre-packed powder ingredients and boil them in water with the noodles. As for the dumplings, she just needs to drizzle some oil in the pan and flips them once in a while. But, compared to SinB, Yerin is quite a good cook. 

”Where did you buy the kimchi?” SinB asks.

”The home shopping channel,” Yerin said as she picks up a piece of the cabbage kimchi that she already cut before serving them.

”Home shopping?” SinB asks in disbelief. She didn’t watch that channel and she never thought the woman in front of her watch it.

”Ne. I like watching the channel. I always watch it when I sleep at home. They sell lots of good stuff and they always have some kind of offers. It’s cheaper when you buy in bulk. So, I buy things in bulk and then delivers them to my parents, and Eunha’s, Sowon’s and Irene’s parents too. Some of the food is really delicious and worth buying. I’ll send it to you and your parents the next time I buy something. Just give me your parents’ address.” 

SinB still couldn’t believe it. She stares at the woman who just smiles at her and continues eating the ramyeon happily.

”After I got home the other day, I was craving for ramyeon. Probably because we didn’t eat them earlier. I just the TV and there it was, on sale on the home shopping. I bought them before so I knew they are delicious. So, I ordered them and patiently wait for them to arrive. It’s a different kind of taste when you eat ramyeon with freshly made kimchi,” Yerin continues to slurps the noodle with a bright smile plastered on her face. 

SinB is amazed looking at Yerin’s face. That is probably the happiest expression she ever see in someone’s face while eating ramyeon.

”Do you really meant what you said two days ago?” SinB asks while they savouring the ramyeon and kimchi.

”I always meant what I said. But, which one?” Yerin asks, looking at SinB with a puzzled look.

”About eating ramyeon when we were on the rooftop. Do you mean eating ramyeon?” SinB asks to confirm her assumption.

Yerin just stares at SinB. The older woman blinks her eyes rapidly, clearly shows a disbelief on her face. Yerin nods her head after staring at SinB for a while. 

”Yes. I mean that. I was really hungry and I only have ramyeon in the tent. And I have a portable camping stove and a pot in the tent that I use for cooking whenever I stayed there. And you haven’t answered my question, do you hate ramyeon? You were really angry the other day,” Yerin asks in all honesty.

”Do you know what does it mean when you asked people if they wanted some ramyeon?” SinB asks and again, Yerin just stares at her, puzzled by her question. Still, Yerin answers the question truthfully and innocently, ”to eat ramyeon.”

SinB shakes her head and takes a deep breath, ”that means you are asking them to spend the night with you.” Yerin listens to SinB’s short and concise explanation, nods her head while slurping the noodles.

When SinB’s words finally registered in her brain, Yerin chokes on her noodles and cough. SinB hands her the glass of water. Yerin gulps down the water in one go. Her eyes grow bigger as well as her lips that are curled into a wide smile. Yerin’s eyes sparkle and she looks at SinB with a hopeful expression, ”so, you are spending the night?”

Now, it is SinB’s time for her eyes to open wide, agape in shock. 

”No!” SinB kicks Yerin’s leg under the kitchen counter.

”I thought you say...just now...” Yerin rubs her painful leg, looking sad and confused.

”You said you just invited me for ramyeon only!” SinB shouted at Yerin.

”Yes. I thought that was it. But then you said that just now. So, it’s not a bad idea. Spending the night here, don’t you think? We can get to know each other more, watch some movies or drama or cartoons on the TV. I can cook us dinner and then we can go to bed. Isn’t that nice?” Yerin flashes a gummy smile at SinB.

”No, I am not spending the night here!” SinB half-screamed at Yerin.

”Oh? okay then. How about hanging out and dinner?” Yerin asks, trying to score whatever chance she could get.

SinB thinks about it for a while and nods her head agreeing with Yerin’s suggestion. She doesn’t have anything plan for the day and she was going to do that at home too. So, hanging out here with Yerin doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Plus, the older woman is going to cook dinner for them which always a delight since she doesn’t have to go out and buy dinner. 

”How many siblings do you have, SinB?” Yerin asks when they are switching the channels trying to see what is interesting on the TV for them to watch.

”I have an older brother,” said SinB.

”Ahh, the one who fetched you yesterday. Is he already working? Where do your parents live?” Yerin continues to ask. She and SinB have never talked about their family before because they never really hang out. They just grab dinner or lunch together and usually talked about work stuff.

”Em...hmm. My oppa is already working, he worked for a pharmaceutical company. My parents are in Seoul. Just an hour drive from here. And you?” SinB asks Yerin so the woman wouldn’t ask her more about her older brother that Yerin assumed was the one picking her up. She doesn’t know why but she doesn’t want to tell Yerin that Jackson was the one picking her up yesterday.

”I have an older brother. Way older than me. He was eleven years older than me. He is working in an electronic appliances company. My parents are around Seoul too. Are your parents still working, SinB?” Yerin asks, finally settling on the channel playing a movie that has just started.

”Yes. They are still working. And yours?” SinB asks, taking an interest in the movie playing on the TV.

”My mother runs a small restaurant with my aunt, and my father is still working. He is a government officer. What do your parents do?” 

SinB hesitated a bit to reveal who are her parents. She is not sure if Yerin would know her mother, but Yerin probably knows her father. But then, it would be weirder if she doesn’t say anything. 

”My mother used to be a nurse, but now she is doing management work. My father is a surgeon but he mostly teaches at the university nowadays,” SinB eventually decides to tell Yerin about her parents but she will not reveal their names.

”Ohh. You are coming from a medical background family. Is that why you want to be a surgeon?” Yerin asks.

”I have always wanted to be one. Not sure if it’s because I saw my father and grandfather working as doctors. I guess you can say that?” SinB said unsurely as she thinks about it. 

”Ohh. I guess it’s in your blood then.” Yerin smiles at SinB who just shrugs her shoulder.

”Why did you decide to be a doctor?” SinB asks the woman who utterly unimpressive her when they first met. To be honest, SinB only sees Yerin as a great surgeon only recently when she went for ward rounds where sometimes Yerin was joining them too and when she heard from other interns and residents about some of Yerin’s cases that they scrub in with.

”I want to help people.” Yerin simply said her reason of being a doctor. That is her reason and if she didn’t end up being a surgeon, she will be a paramedic or a therapist or a nurse or a policewoman or a firefighter or a soldier or anything which the nature of work is helping people in need.

”Why trauma?” SinB asks because not many surgeons choose that specialty because of the demanding work hours. Her father was a trauma surgeon but about nine or ten years ago, he changes his specialty to just general surgery and starts teaching more than doing surgery. 

”I don’t know. I guess I like to challenge myself? It’s just every patient that came through the door is always different than the other one. I get to help save people of all ages presenting with various injuries and problems. I didn’t set out to be a trauma surgeon, but back when I was a first-year intern, one of the trauma surgeon said that I was cut into being like him. He started to train me to be a trauma surgeon. He really looks forward to me to continue his legacy as a trauma surgeon in the hospital as no one is interested in taking that specialty because of its demanding work hours. He moved to another hospital and he mostly teaches now. Uhh...his wife was also a nurse. Just like your parents. But then, there are a lot of doctor-nurse couples. It’s easier to marry someone who works in the same line, I guess,” Yerin explains at length. 

”Don’t you feel tired being a trauma surgeon? Have you ever considered changing your specialty?” SinB asks. It’s from her own experience watching her father changing from trauma to just general surgery because her mother asked him to.

”Sure, it’s tiring but every second and every drop of sweat is worth it. I love being a trauma surgeon. But the drawback of it is I don’t have a normal shift like other surgeons. Well, working in a hospital itself makes us work not in typical working hours. But, trauma surgeon’s shifts are nowhere close to typical and it’s taking a toll on their relationship too. And I did consider changing specialties once, but then Irene decided to broke up with me instead,” Yerin smiles but then seeing how SinB’s face changed upon hearing her mentioning Irene’s name, Yerin quickly says, ”I’ll change to general surgery if you think my time is too limited for you. As much as I love being a trauma surgeon, I love you more.”

SinB is shocked by Yerin’s resolution that she wasn’t expecting for. She didn’t say a word about it. She was just starting to feel a bit annoyed when Yerin mentioned Irene, the hospital’s goddess’ name for no reason. But then, suddenly Yerin said something about loving her more than being a trauma surgeon that she would change her specialty. They are not together and even if they are, SinB has no intention of asking Yerin to change her specialty. She can imagine how difficult it is for someone to change their jobs from the one they are really passionate about to something that they can perform as good but not as happy.

It is true that a trauma surgeon’s shift is crazier than other specialties but as far as she and Yerin being friends, SinB doesn’t think it’s a problem. Even with those crazy shifts, Yerin still asks her if she can drive her home from work or fetch her at home for work almost every day. And of course SinB turned down the offer most of the times, but that shows that Yerin would still be committed in her relationship despite her crazy and demanding work. Perhaps because SinB is trying to avoid spending time with Yerin that she feels like the trauma surgeon has too much time in her hands to drive to and from the hospital for her. It seems like Yerin spends too much time with her already. 

”I will never ask someone to change what they like to do. I told you I don’t like people forcing me to do something, didn’t I? So, I won’t do that to others too,” said SinB.

Although it is unnecessary, SinB feels the need to tell that to Yerin. The older woman smiles brightly at SinB before thanking her. They then focus their attention on the TV in front of them.

The movie is a thriller movie that is full of suspense and shocking scene causing the two to jump every now and then and holding onto each other’s arm for support. After the movie ends, SinB realised that there is barely a space between her and Yerin, and that she is clinging onto the woman’s forearm. She quickly lets go of Yerin’s hand and scoots away from Yerin. The older woman gets off the couch and goes to the kitchen.

”Would you like something to drink? I have cola, flavoured milk, fruit juice and barley tea,” Yerin said as she stands in front of the open fridge.

”Fruit juice is fine. Not grapes though, I’m allergic,” SinB said as she reads the info on the next movie going to be played.

”Ohh? You are allergic to grapes. Apple then.” Yerin said as she grabs the apple juice for SinB and the cold barley tea for her. She grabs a pack of potato chips as well and brings them to the couch. 

”What’s on next?” Yerin asks as she opens the bottle of juice and hands it to SinB. 

”A comedy-drama movie,” answered SinB after a moment of flabbergasted by Yerin’s action. 

”That sounds good,” said Yerin happily while popping open the potato chips and stretch it out to SinB for the girl to eat them first. SinB thanked Yerin and grabs a handful of the chips and pick them one by one with her fingers and eat them.

Yerin smiles at SinB. She gets comfortable on the couch and eats the chips happily. She holds the bag of chip in between her and SinB so the young woman could pick them up easily without asking her or wait for her to offer them. They keep munching on the chips and in no time the chips are all gone. Yerin opens her barley tea and offers it to SinB first before taking a sip when SinB said she doesn’t want to. The two then watch the movie.

SinB opens her eyes slowly, rubbing them. She is facing the TV and clearly it is showing a different program than the one she was watching earlier. She fell asleep when she watched the second movie earlier. SinB’s eyes move from the screen to the arm resting under her face. She looks at her own hands. Both are in front of her. As the realisation dawned upon her, SinB immediately sits upright. She closes her eyes again and opens them, hoping that it was just a dream. SinB turns around and there is Yerin, lying on her side with her right arm is spread across the couch where SinB’s head was at and her left arm is on her side. SinB’s buttock is only a few centimetres away from Yerin’s crotch. Her heart is picking up its pace, beating faster than it should be. 

SinB turns back facing the TV but then her head turns around to look at Yerin. The woman is sleeping peacefully. She couldn’t get her eyes off the beautiful face. SinB remembers clearly the first time she saw this peaceful, beautiful sleeping face. It’s the same as when she saw Yerin sleeping in the cafeteria that night and her heart seems to be doing the same thing too. Beating faster than it normally does. Yerin’s eyes slowly open but SinB wasn’t quick enough to look away. Their eyes meet. Yerin smiles sweetly at SinB who is starting to blush.

”Oh, I’m sorry I fell asleep when we watched the movie. What time is it?” Yerin rubs her eyes before glancing at the time displayed on the decoder. Yerin sprang up from lying down when she sees the time.

”Sorry, sorry. I’ll get started with our dinner,” Yerin said as she hurriedly gets off the couch and goes into the kitchen.

SinB watch the woman leaves for the kitchen while remain seated on the couch. A few minutes later, she gets up and walks to the kitchen too. SinB offers to help but Yerin just said she doesn’t have to since she is her guest today. Not wanting to argue, SinB just says okay and take a seat on the bar stool at the kitchen counter. She observes Yerin moving swiftly and efficiently in the kitchen, prepping and cooking their dinner. Now, unlike before, it is really a hard proof that Yerin is a good cook. The woman makes some stir-fried spicy chicken, vegetables soup and rolled fried egg in just an hour. Once again at the kitchen counter, SinB and Yerin enjoy the food that the latter cooked.

After eating, SinB insists that she would do the dishes because Yerin already cooked the food. Yerin was against her idea at first but then after a heated argument for about five minutes, the woman caves in and SinB starts washing the dirty dishes. Yerin stays close to her, watching SinB’s every move as she leans back at the corner near the sink. 

”Thank you for dinner and ramyeon earlier. Oh, and the kimchi too. I enjoyed the food and will enjoy the kimchi too,” SinB said as she dries her hand with the hand towel Yerin handed her.

”Thank you for accepting the invitation. I enjoy cooking for you and eating with you. Let’s do this again. Oh, wait here for a minute, I’ll grab you a sweater, it’s cold and you only have your t-shirt on,” said Yerin before she dissapears into the master bedroom.

Yerin hands SinB a black over the head hoodie. SinB smiles as she takes the sweater, donning it on right away. Yerin is wearing her grey hoodie. The two walk towards the door.

****