Pineapple jelly

Unlucky

đŸŽ¶Na oneulbuteo neorang sseomeul hanbeon tabol geoya. Na maeilmaeil nege jeonhwado hal geoya.đŸŽ¶

”Dr. Park? Aren’t you going to answer your phone?” Yerin asks without looking up from the exposed abdomen in front of her.

Yerin swiftly moves her hand threading the suture, closing the lacerated liver of a man involved in a motor vehicle accident not more than an hour ago. Dr. Park, the third-year resident is removing shards of glasses on the man’s face just shakes his head to Yerin’s question. The phone stops ringing, but after a few seconds the same music comes up again. 

”You know you can pick up the phone, Dr. Park. I don’t mind. Just put it on speaker. It’s not like there is anyone else in the room,” Yerin says with a playful smile on her face.

Yerin really doesn’t mind because they are in the operating room and not in the trauma bay, and currently, the patient is stable, so, it is safe for him to answer the call. Yerin could tell who is calling him and she is trying to help him not to sabotage his newly developed romance by ignoring the call. But, he might be too shy to answer the call with the nurses and technicians in the OR with them. Of course they are not alone in the room, there will be at least five other people in the room with them when they are operating. Dr. Park just shakes his head at the nurse that is staring at him, waiting for his answer.

When the phone rings for the third time, Yerin insisted that the man answers the call. 

”You might have to sleep on the couch if you keep ignoring the call, Dr. Park. And believe me when I say, you don’t want to get comfortable with the couch this soon.”

”I was on the couch last night, Dr. Jung...” the young man sighs and just tilted his head a bit gesturing the nurse to answer the call.

”Hello, Nayeon-ah, you are on speaker,” Dr. Park greets the caller as soon as the nurse clicks on the green button.

”Hey, Nayeon,” Yerin greets the caller.

”Oh, Dr. Jung. I’m sorry for interrupting. I guess you are in surgery now. I’ll call you back then. I’m going back first, bye.” Nayeon ends the call without waiting for Dr. Park to bid his goodbye.  

”Uhh, I think you should be okay tonight, Dr. Park,” Yerin flashes a cheeky smile at the man.

”Hopefully...” 

”Uh, and can you play that song just now. It sounds good. Plus, we are going to be here for hours now seeing the cuts on his face,” Yerin asks and gestures the nurse who was answering the phone call just now.

The song, Some by Bbolbagan 4 is playing from the phone, filling the operating room that was only filled with the beeping sound from the monitor. Yerin enjoys the song because the melody is quite catchy. She instantly likes the lyrics of the song after listening to it once. 

”Did she set the song for you?” Yerin asks and the man nods.

”Ahh...shares it to my phone after this, will you?” Yerin asks Dr. Park who has started stitching the cuts on the patient’s face. 

”Do you like it, Dr. Jung?” the man asks.

”The lyrics are good, catchy song. Might be useful for me, hehe...” Yerin flashes a gummy smile at the man as she stands behind the man, scrutinising the stitches Dr. Park did. 

Yerin gives some pointer to the young man on how to improve the stitches to make them neat and quicker. Especially for cuts on faces, it would be better if it is neat. And it is a bit tedious because they need to be careful of the facial nerve as well.

The surgery went well without a glitch and they are done after two and a half hours. Yerin makes sure Dr. Park shares the song to her phone after they get out of the OR. She is determined to get the song as she is planning something tomorrow. 

”Dr. Jung, I almost forgot to tell you. This Saturday night, after our shift, they are going out for the new interns’ dinner.” 

”Ahh, group A? Because I think I missed the other one. How many months have passed? They are only doing it now?” Yerin asks.

”Yes. I think they wanted Chief Bae to join and he only has an opening this week,” said Dr. Park.

”Really? Was that old man really busy? Hmm... I guess so. Alright, I’ll be there. The usual place?” Yerin asks.

”Yup. The same bar. You know they have the tastiest food!” the man cheers, Yerin nods her head enthusiastically, agreeing with him.

***

SinB is having her lunch by herself again this afternoon. She gets the dosirak from the cafe, and a bottle of water then goes straight to the park, or to be specific, the bench which by now is called ’our bench’ by Yerin. SinB didn’t oppose nor agree with Yerin when the trauma surgeon said it some day last week during their ’impromptu lunch date’.

Yes, that is exactly the term Yerin used. It is impromptu, she can agree to that. But, it was far from a date. That was just two people sitting on a bench at the park in the hospital where they work, still in their scrubs, eating their own lunch that they bought themselves, well, she didn’t pay for her lunch but still, she got them herself at the cafe. They were eating on their toes, ready to sprint off at the beep of their pagers. And one of them, Yerin that is, did exactly that with her unfinished lunch in hand sprinting towards the trauma room while leaving her behind alone, finishing her lunch. 

SinB smiles as she takes a bite of her food as she thinks about Yerin. That woman really is special. She had never met someone like her. Yerin made her feel loved, cared for, safe and happy. Yerin didn’t do anything big to get her attention, she didn’t do something extravaganza just to win her heart. Instead, the little things, things that people often takes for granted including her. She never knew how a text message could leave such a big impact on her.

Just a simple text message reminding her to eat and rest is enough to make her day. A simple gesture of stealing a wink at her in the passing is enough to make her smile the whole day. Even without talking, just five minutes of sitting next to each other in the middle of the day somehow is enough to make her heart beating happily and excitedly, wearing her tiredness off.

Someone inserts an in-ear earphone in her right ear and the song ’Some’ from Bbolbagan4 immediately fills her ear.

đŸŽ¶Is it my fault if I’m not good at expressing?
I’m a warm girl in a cold city
Can’t I just tell you I like you?
I just want to be honest

Go away, no don’t go away
Show me your heart, no don’t show it to me
All day, only your smile is in my head
Do you wanna just go out?

Starting from today, I’m gonna have something with you
I’m gonna call you every day
Even though I can’t eat gluten
I’m gonna go around eating delicious food with you

So so sweet, you’re really so sweet
So so sweet, you aređŸŽ¶

SinB turns her head to her right and sees Yerin is sitting next to her. The trauma surgeon also turns to look at her, flashing a hopeful smile. SinB could feel the blood is rushing to her face, she looks away, staring vacantly at the faraway, continue listening to the song.

đŸŽ¶Â Can’t I just tell you I like you?
I just want to be honest

Go away, no don’t go away
Show me your heart, no don’t show it to me
All day, only your smile is in my head
Do you wanna just go out?

Starting from today, I’m gonna have something with you
I’m gonna call you every day
Even though I can’t eat gluten
I’m gonna go around eating delicious food with you

Isn’t this how love starts?
Maybe it’s like hanging half my heart on you
Even though it feels like you’ll reject me
I’m gonna give it a try once more

Starting from today, I’m gonna have something with you
I’m gonna call you every day
Even though I can’t eat gluten
I’m gonna go around eating delicious food with you

Press “like” on my photos like you do for her
Let me talk to you too
I feel so down so I’m giving up today
Just when I’m about to look back, you hold onto me

So so sweet, you’re really so sweet
So so sweet, you aređŸŽ¶

”I can eat gluten, I can eat almost everything except for stones and woods. Let’s go out?” Yerin said, scrunching her face with anticipation. 

SinB didn’t say anything, she didn’t even turn to look at Yerin. How could she? Her face is burning red. Her heart is fluttering that she fears if she opens , butterflies will fly out of it. SinB inhales deeply to calm herself anf stops breathing erratically. Suddenly, Yerin’s pager goes off. At that time, she feels relieved as it feels like being saved by the bell. Then, in merely a second, she is cussing the pager in her mind because that beep is taking Yerin away from her any seconds now.

”Yes? No? Yes? Please be a yes...” Yerin asks again after looking at the pager.

Yerin looks at her, eagerly waiting for her to respond. Yerin phone buzzes, and the trauma surgeon sighs as she glances over the caller’s number on the screen before answering the call with a simple ’ne’. Reluctantly, Yerin stands on her feet, slowly taking a step before looking back at SinB.

”No? You are not going to hold onto me?” Yerin asks as she shakes her head, pouting cutely.

”Go! Go saves life, Dr. Jung,” SinB shooing the woman.

SinB flashes the sweetest smiles at the trauma surgeon. She shakes her head and smiles again, but this time, unintentionally her lips curved into an approving, suggestive, almost coquettishly smile.

Yerin’s face beam with happiness when she sees SinB’s smile. Yerin winks at her, smiles dazzling at SinB. Of course as hard as SinB tries, she couldn’t help but blush. Her heart even skips a beat. 

”Awooo!!!” Yerin suddenly screams excitedly making the people around the park to look at her bewildered.

Yerin skips while air punching happily towards the hospital. SinB whose cheeks still reddened chuckles seeing the excited woman that is getting farther from her. SinB smiles and smiles until her cheeks sore. 

****

”Driver, let’s go!” Sowon exclaimed excitedly as soon as she closes the car’s door.

”Yes, Your Highness,” said Yerin, condescendingly. 

Sowon sniggers while buckling the seatbelt. Eunha just shakes her head at the two best friend’s antics. The three of them are going to the bar for the interns’ welcoming dinner that they were invited to. Sowon particularly is excited as they haven’t been out for months and of course because of all the free drinks she will be getting tonight.

”Hey!” the beautiful, y woman behind the bar greets them once they step inside the bar. 

The bartender already knows them because every year they will come here at least twice. The bar is not too far from the hospital, so the interns gathering are always held here. And the woman particularly knows Yerin for another reason besides that.

”Hey!” the three smile at the woman and go straight to the bar.

”Haven’t seen you guys for a while now, were you that busy? I guess life is good eyh? The usual?” the woman asks, Sowon and Eunha nod to the last question.

”Busy as usual. Life is better, I guess? This two are finally together,” said Yerin with a smile.

”Finally! I’m beginning to think that this brat wasted two weeks of drinking her life away for nothing,” the woman places two glasses of wine and a cola on the bar. Yerin pulls the soda near and takes a sip.

”Wait, two weeks?” Eunha turns to Yerin, looking at the woman, demanding an answer. Yerin looks at every inch of Eunha’s face except for her eyes. 

”I thought you were here just a week? You were here for a week when it was Irene,” Eunha’s voice is getting lower. Yerin gulps down her soda in one go. 

”Answer me! Jung Yerin, answer me!” Eunha shakes Yerin’s shoulders roughly. 

”Eunha-yah, that was years ago. Let it go,” Sowon tries to persuade Eunha. She knows about it because she was there. 

”You. You know about it, didn’t you? Why didn’t you tell me about it?” Eunha turns around and looks at Sowon with teary eyes.

”C’mon, Eunha. It doesn’t matter. That was years ago. And you two are happy together now,” Yerin the petite woman’s shoulder tenderly, trying to calm her down.

”Can you please tell me the truth. She wasn’t here for a year when she supposedly went for the trauma fellowship, right? Please, don’t lie to me,” Eunha looks straight into the bartender’s eyes. The woman shakes her head. 

”Other than this gathering, she came here, didn’t she?” Eunha asks, the bartender nods her head.

”When?” Eunha asks, the bartender just keep mums.

”Honey, that’s enough. I think the kids are here, let’s go, shall we?” Sowon said as she saw some of the interns waving at them from the long table on the patio. 

”Tell me, please,” begged Eunha. The bartender looks at Yerin and the latter just tilts her head a bit, permitting her to answer the question.

”Every year, she spends a night on Irene’s date. And the whole day on yours,” the woman said hesitantly. 

”Alright, that settles it. Right? Let’s go, then.”

Yerin stands up and starts walking out to the patio. She grabs Eunha’s hand and drags her along. Sowon in tow. Eunha still has something to say on the topic, protesting by stiffened her body. 

”Eunha-yah, honey, let it go. She already had it bad. Just let it go,” Sowon whispers in Eunha’s ear. For now, Eunha listens to Sowon. 

The three sit at the table where half of the first-year interns, Dr. Park, Dr. Nayeon, Solar and her overprotecting girlfriend,Moonbyul; Hwasa, Heechul and his beautiful girlfriend, Seolhyun and Min Ho are already seated there. Not long after that, Chief Bae and Irene arrives. The two seated next to Yerin. They exchange greetings and start chatting with one another while waiting for the rest of the interns to arrive including SinB and her friends.

The waitress comes and take their orders. Everyone orders their poison, except for Yerin. She doesn’t like to drink unless for a few reasons and right now, she doesn’t have any reason to, so she just asks for a soda. The waitress delivers their drinks and the foods that the organising committee already pre-ordered just moments after SinB and her friends arrive.

The interns are still a bit awkward with Chief Bae and most of the attendings although it has been months since they started working at the hospital. Chief Bae being a good leader that he is making it less awkward by talking casually with them. The rest of the attendings also do the same. After a while, eating, drinking and chatting, the awkwardness is gone. Mostly due to the volume of alcohol that has entered their systems.

”You are not drinking?” Yerin asks SinB when they bumped into each other at the toilet. Well, SinB went to the toilet, then Yerin follows. 

”I’m more of soju, not beer or somaek. But I had some just now. And you?” SinB asks as she ties her hair into a ponytail. 

”Just soda, I’m driving. Did you take a taxi just now or one of you are driving?” Yerin asks, her eyes still fixed on SinB through the reflection on the mirror.

”We took a taxi, why? You are staring, do I have something on my face?” SinB examines her face closely in the mirror.

”Aniya. Nothing on your face. It’s perfectly beautiful for me,” Yerin asks, smiling at SinB. SinB blushes a bit at the unexpected compliment. 

”Why? Is it better if I let my hair down?” SinB asks when Yerin’s soft and loving gaze is still fixed on her.

”No, it looks good on you either way. You are pretty. You look beautiful in anything, you are perfect-”

”I am not perfect, and stop staring. You are making me blush, Yerin.” SinB looks away and smacks Yerin’s arm lightly. Yerin catches SinB’s hand and holds it in her.

”SinB, I love you, so much. I’m so in love with you-” 

”I think they are looking for us, let’s go, Duckie.” 

SinB pulls her hand out of Yerin’s clasp and immediately walks back to their table. Her face is a bit red, but she doesn’t care and just goes straight to her seat. Her reddened cheeks can easily pass as the effect of the alcoholic drink they all had instead of the effect of Yerin’s lovely confessions.

”Okay, let’s start the game!” Min Ho said as soon as SinB sits back at her seat. 

Yerin comes back at the table a bit later than SinB and sits on the empty chair beside SinB just as Min Ho is going to sit there. The man grunts before going back to his seat. Yerin just smiles innocently, shrugging her shoulder at Min Ho who is shooting daggers at her. Yerin is now sitting in between SinB and Irene, across Sowon and Eunha. 

”Okay, let’s play the finger folding game. The first person to fold all five fingers have to drink the beer, one shot. So, to those old people who don’t know how to play this game...it’s simple. Fold your finger each time the criteria describes you. We will take a turn to say one criterion. If no one fits the criteria you say, you have to fold your finger,” Min Ho explains and everyone nods, cheering happily.

”If you are an intern, fold your finger.” 

All the interns fold their fingers.

”If you are not wearing a skirt, fold your finger.”

All the men and half of the women including SinB, Yerin and Sowon fold their finger.

”You pabo! That includes you and us! You should say wearing a skirt!” one of the interns scolded his friend because the one giving the criteria is also a man. He just laughs it off at his mistake that cause the male interns two fingers. 

”If you have been working in the hospital more than a year, fold your finger.” 

All the attendings, Chief Bae, Dr. Park and Dr. Nayeon fold their finger.

”If you are pretty, fold your finger.” 

Some of the women a bit hesitated to fold their finger to the criteria that one of the male interns just said. Every woman thinks they are pretty in some way but it takes a very courageous person to admit it right away.

”C’mon ladies, we are all pretty. Don’t be shy. Let’s all fold our fingers. And Heechul oppa, sometimes you are pretty too. So, join us and fold your finger,” Yerin said, encouraging the women which made up of two-thirds of the people at the table. 

”You are the prettiest in my eyes, probably you should fold two fingers?” Yerin whispers softly in SinB’s ears only for her to hear. SinB’s cheeks reddened. Yerin’s warmth breath sends trickling shivers down SinB’s neck causing her to slap Yerin’s thigh hard. Despite the pain, Yerin’s heart is fluttering because albeit a bit rough but this is the second time SinB is touching her tonight, so she just smile dreamingly.

”If you tie your hair up, fold your finger.”

Yerin looks at her fingers, she still has two fingers up. Then she looks at Irene, she also has two fingers up, as well as Sowon. She looks at SinB, she has only one finger up. 

”If you are not wearing shoes with heels, fold your finger.”

All the men, Yerin and Irene fold their fingers. This leaves Yerin, SinB and Irene with only one unfolded finger, and now it is Min Ho’s turn and the man is snickering. The already drunk cardiothoracic surgeon is laughing evilly, probably plotting who should he target among the three. 

”If...you have the letter B in your name, fold your finger,” Min Ho smiles scornfully and places the mug of beer in front of SinB and Irene.

Yerin quickly puts her hands on top of the rim of the mugs just as Irene and SinB slip their fingers in the handles.

”I’ll drink for them,” Yerin said, smiling at Min Ho and cupped the mugs and brings them closer.

”No, you canno-”

Yerin chugs the beer in one go, one mug after another while Min Ho in the middle of protesting. She just looks at Min Ho and shrugs her shoulder, then shows him the empty mugs. Irene and SinB both look at Yerin but before they could say anything, Min Ho yells out a new round of the same game. Yerin could see the man who is obviously vexed by her action just now, scrutinising every inch of her body with a determined look as if telling her that she is the target. Min Ho whispers something at the male interns and smiles at them.

”If your family name is Jung, fold your finger.” Both Yerin and Eunha fold their fingers.

”If you have short hairs, fold your finger.” All the man and Eunha fold their fingers.

”If you are a trauma surgeon, fold your finger.” Yerin folds her finger.

”If you drink soda tonight, fold your finger.” Yerin folds her finger.

”If you have been in a relationship with more than two people at this table, fold your finger.” Yerin folds her finger. She already anticipated this and just wait for Min Ho’s scheme to end. 

”If you are not wearing primary colours clothe, fold your finger.” Yerin chugs a mug of somaek that Min Ho slams in front of her without batting an eye and smirks at the man once she finished it. The interns all cheering excitedly before gulping down their own drinks. 

Yerin stands up and goes to the karaoke machine near the table. She pats the microphone and said ’test’ a few times to check if it is working. Half of the people at the table are cheering and requesting songs for Yerin to sing. Yerin already had a song in her mind that she wanted to sing when she strode confidently towards the karaoke machine. She is feeling a bit fuzzy but she is not drunk just yet. Yerin takes another microphone and waves it at Sowon, asking her best friend to sing with her who gladly takes it.

The intro of the song gives away the song that Yerin is singing. Immediately, Heechul, Hwasa and a male intern sprung off their seats and starts moving, popping their bodies. The song was popular seven years ago, the catchy tune always get people moving their shoulder and tapping their feet on the floor. Yerin sings Infinite’s song, ’be mine’ and her gaze is fixed on SinB. She also dances along, particularly when she sings the chorus part. 

đŸŽ¶Naekkeohaja naega neol saranghae eo? [Be mine, I love you, okay?]
Naega neol geokjeonghae eo? [I worry about you okay?]
Naega neol ggeutkkaji chaegimjilge [I will be responsible until the end]
Naekkeohaja niga nal aljanha eo? [Be mine, you know me, right?]
Niga nal bwatjanha eo? [You saw through me, right?]   
Naega neol ggeutkkaji jikyeojulge [I will take care of you until the end]

Gachi gaja himdeungil geotjima eo? [Let’s go together, don’t take the hard way, alright?]
Swipji anhatjanha eo? [It wasn’t easy, okay?]                       

Dasineun geureon neol bogi sirheo [I don’t want to see you like that again]

Naekkeohaja naega neol saranghae eo? [Be mine, I love you okay?]   
Naega neol geokjeonghae eo? [I worry about you, alright?]
Naego neol ggeutkkaji chaegimjilge [I will take care of you until the end]đŸŽ¶

The song is fun to sing along, especially the hook part. And of course most of them sing along to the addictive, hook point of the song, the ’eo’ part oblivious of Yerin’s real intention of singing the song in the first place. Yes. She is yet again confessing her love to SinB and she is more advanced this time compared to last time. She was asking SinB out using the song from Bbolbagan4 last week and tonight she is asking SinB to be hers and takes care of her.

Yerin’s eyes never left SinB’s face throughout the song, even when Sowon was rapping, she still looks at SinB. SinB on the other hand, looks everywhere except Yerin’s eyes. The young woman even gulps down her drink in one go when her eyes accidentally meet Yerin’s. 

The song ends and everyone is cheering for Yerin and Sowon. They shouted ’encore’ repeatedly along with Sowon’s name. Sowon smiles as she finds a song to sing. She chooses a ballad, love song and starts singing. Everyone including Yerin who stays beside her putting their hands up and slowly swaying their bodies side to side, enjoying the beautifully sang love song. Right after that, they go back to the table and Sowon immediately steals a kiss on Eunha’s lips, causing everyone to squeal like school kids. Yerin, as much as she wanted to do that, just have to imagine it in her mind. 

Min Ho gets back to the table with a tray of shots and puts it in front of Yerin. He smirks at Yerin. He is known to be a drinker and also known to be one of Yerin’s hater, his smirks already spell trouble to those who knew this fact. Min Ho also knew that it is almost impossible to make Yerin drink by playing games with him, so he chooses to play the drinking games with Irene and SinB seeing how Yerin drinks for the two women earlier. 

”Yerin will drink that for you,” Min Ho places the shot glass in front of Yerin every time SinB and Irene lose the game they are playing. From soju to beer, Min Ho is enjoying the games and taking advantage of his hatred towards Yerin and Yerin’s low alcohol tolerant.

Chief Bae stops the game when he feels it is out of control. Yerin is definitely drunk and his daughter also getting tipsy because of the game since she insisted on drinking. Then, the already drunk Yerin once again get on her feet, staggering towards the karaoke machine. This time, she sings a song from Bruno Mars, ’when I was your man’. A drunken Yerin always like to sing. A drunken Yerin is the heartbroken Yerin. She will sing her heart out and all the songs will be about heartbreak, getting back together, how much she loved and still love her two ex-lovers - Irene and Eunha.

And at this time, with SinB present, it will blow any little chance Yerin has to be with her. The prospect of that to ever happen is getting worse now that Irene is striding towards Yerin with open arms, ready to embrace the woman she foolishly let go years ago. Sowon and Eunha also had two or three glasses of wine and beers, but they are still a bit sober than Yerin. They both were able to grasp the weight of the consequences for both Yerin and Irene if they don’t stop what is going on right now. They both quickly get on their feet, charge towards Yerin at the same time Chief Bae is walking towards his daughter. Sowon and Eunha drag Yerin away, while Chief Bae hugs Irene and walk towards the table, seated his daughter down.

Chief Bae tells the others to get back home safely and excuses him and Irene. He also advises SinB to call it a night since Yuju and Umji are already a bit tipsy. SinB get her two best friends and persuade them to go home which the two were refusing at first but then agree when they were promised to be able to continue drinking at home.

”Dr. Hwang...” the beautiful bartender calls SinB when she approaches the bar, closely followed by Yuju and Umji who are hanging onto each other giggling about something only they know.

”Yes?” SinB is not fully sober but not that drunk, her head is just fuzzy but she definitely heard her name being called and she doesn’t think she knew the woman.

”You are leaving?” the woman asks, SinB nods.

”Oh okay, I’ll notify the driver. Your ride has been booked, he’ll arrive in five minutes or so,” the woman said with a smile.

”Uhhh...that Jackson is so sweet, he already booked you a taxi, SinB. Awww. I want someone like him...” Umji said in between her giggles. 

The bartender shoots a quizzical stare at SinB and her friends. She shakes her head while looking at SinB and mouthed ’not Jackson’. She is about to tell SinB who called the taxi for them but then a customer is waving at her, so she has to go and do her work.

”I can be your Jackson, Umji-yah. I’m sweet too, Umji. Look at me,” said Yuju as she turns Umji head to face her. Yuju leans her forehead against Umji’s and they engage in a staring contest, leaning closer to each other’s face like they are going to kiss. 

”Jung?” shouted a man who just enters the bar, startling Yuju and Umji causing them to break away from each other before laughing out loud.

”Present!” Yerin shouted back at the man, raising her hand and giggling.

Sowon and Eunha help the drunken Yerin who is staggering towards the man, the chauffeur that Eunha called to drive them back home. The three pass SinB and her two best friends who take a seat by the door. Yerin stops and turns to face SinB.

”I called the taxi for you, SinB. Get home safe. Text me when you’re home. Okay, my love?” said Yerin, running her fingers through SinB’s side bangs and tuck the strands of hair behind the young woman’s ear. Then, Yerin leans forward wanting to whispers something in SinB’s ears but she stumbles forward and she ends up hugging the woman. 

”I love you,” Yerin whispers in SinB’s ears before passing out on SinB’s shoulder, snoring. 

Eunha and Sowon smiles apologetically at SinB before pulling the now sleeping, drunken Yerin. The two once again apologise for Yerin’s behaviour and tells SinB to get home safe before excusing themselves. SinB just shakes her head telling the two that it’s okay. 

SinB looks at Yerin who is already asleep, being dragged by Sowon towards the parking lot. This is of course the first time she sees Yerin in that state and decides that she never wants to see her like that again. SinB fishes out her phone from her handbag and begins typing a long text message for Yerin. She knew the woman will not read it until the next morning, but she still wanted to text her right now. SinB thanked Yerin for taking all the shots and beers for her tonight but warned her not to do that ever again, and for booking a pickup service for her.

Of course she knew it was not Jackson who did that because the man doesn’t even know about the dinner. And even if he knew, he wouldn’t do that. SinB sighs at the thought of the man who is a year older than her that Umji and Yuju came to know about when he insisted on using the toilet at their apartment when he picked her up the other day to go back to SinB’s parents’.

**

”Yah! Come in and sleep in your bed!” Sowon yells at Yerin who just plops down on the couch. 

Yerin removes her shirt and s her pants. She climbs onto the couch and lies down, ignoring Sowon’s order. Yerin gets the blanket that she always uses and covers herself. She closes her eyes despite Sowon’s usual lecture, scolding her for sleeping on the couch instead of in her bed. 

Sowon gets out of the room to find Yerin is already dozing off on the couch. Eunha just sits there on the two-seater couch parallel to the long couch where Yerin is lying on, looking at Yerin without saying anything. Sowon sits next to her girlfriend, wrapping her arms around Eunha and pulling her closer. Eunha leans back, resting her head against Sowon’s chest. 

”Why don’t you say something to her? She listens to you. How many years has it been now, is she going to continue sleeping here?” Sowon complaints.

”Exactly! It has been years but she still couldn’t do it. Let her be. You know her. You said yourself earlier she had it hard... Was it really two weeks? Why didn’t I know about it?” Eunha asks playing with Sowon’s fingers.

”She didn’t want you to know. You know it was really difficult for her. You are her first love. She didn’t say it but she went for the fellowship overseas because of it. I’m worried about her, do you think she is going to be okay?” Sowon asks looking lovingly at the sleeping Yerin. 

”What are you worried about? SinB?” Eunha asks and Sowon nods slowly.

”You saw her earlier, clearly she is serious about her,” Eunha said lowly.

Honestly, Eunha too is worry about Yerin. Yerin still sleeps on the couch instead of the bedroom that they shared when she was still living there. When they were still together. After they broke up, Yerin started to sleep on the couch. She and Sowon both know the real reason why even though Yerin always say she fell asleep there while watching TV. That’s just a front she puts on, showing as if she is totally okay with the breakup just so she won’t feel overly guilty for asking to end their relationship. 

”Do you think she is ready for a new relationship?” Sowon asks, concerned about Yerin and of course for SinB too because it would be unfair for the latter.

”You know she won’t open her heart if she is not ready. We all know how it goes with the others. She didn’t even pursue the others. And this time she go all out for SinB,” Eunha explains the woman that she knows over half of her life.

”Well, let’s help her then,” suggested Sowon.

”Really? You? You want to help her? How?” Eunha asks in amazement.

”Why are you so surprised?” Sowon asks, feeling bitter with her girlfriend’s response.

”I’m not. I know you love her as much as I do. So? What are you planning to do?” Eunha turns to look at Sowon.

”The play?” Sowon said unsurely, more of asking her girlfriend’s opinion.

”We could try. I love you, Sowon. Thank you for loving me and wait for me,” Eunha smiles and kisses Sowon’s lips. Sowon reciprocates. 

”Suddenly?” Sowon asks as she pulls away.

”Feels like telling you that I love you and thanking you for patiently waiting for me,” Eunha explains.

”I love you, Eunha. And thank you for accepting me,” Sowon planted a chaste kiss on Eunha’s lips.

”And I think we owe Yerin a big thank you for bringing us together,” Sowon continues as she looks at Yerin who is sound asleep, letting out soft snores every now and then. Eunha nods her head before resting it back against Sowon’s chest. They both stare at Yerin with overflowing love and care like parents looking at their child. 

”Let’s go to bed, shall we?” Sowon whispers in Eunha ears, her girlfriend’s side of the body tenderly.

”Okay.”

Sowon and Eunha get off the couch gingerly so they would not wake Yerin up. Eunha goes to the kitchen to drink some water and pours a glass for Sowon. She also pours a glass of water and places it on the coffee table beside the long couch where Yerin is sleeping on. Sowon turns off the light and locks the front door before going to the kitchen to drink some water.

Eunha is already at the couch, bending over for Yerin’s good night kiss. She kisses Yerin’s forehead tenderly. Sowon goes to the couch and gives Yerin her version of goodnight kiss. She kisses her fingers and smack them lightly on Yerin’s forehead, earning herself a slap on her arm, courtesy of her lovely girlfriend named Eunha. Yerin lets out a whimper while still sleeping. Sowon just holds in her laughter and ruffles Yerin’s hair.

Sowon then takes Eunha’s hands in hers and leads her to the second bedroom where it was and still is hers. Nothing changed in the room even after she moved out and she always uses it when she sleeps over. When they were still just friends, Eunha will sleep in Yerin’s bedroom with Yerin or on the couch with Yerin. But now they are together, Sowon just decides they should sleep in her room.

***

”Delivery for Miss Hwang.”

SinB buzzes the delivery man in although she didn’t order anything. It’s only 11 in the morning, on a Saturday.

The man delivers three bowls of galbitang and three bowls of jjampong. Her phone buzzes and Yerin’s text appear on the screen.

’Good morning beautiful. Hope you didn’t get a serious hangover like I am. And hopefully, I didn’t do or say anything stupid last night. I ordered some hangover soups and jjampong for you and your friends. Eat up. Let me know if anything comes up. I love you.’

”Argh! My head hurts. Who is coming this early in the morning?” Yuju grunts as she walks towards the kitchen with a throbbing headache.

”Uhh...hangover soups. And jjampong! Your Jackson really is the best, SinB-yah. I’ll go and wake Umji up,” exclaimed Yuju when the delivery man puts the bowls on the kitchen table. 

”Thank you,” SinB thanked and escorts the man out. 

Once again, SinB’s phone buzzes and Yerin’s text comes up on the screen. She hasn’t had the chance to reply to Yerin’s text earlier and yet the woman is texting her again.

’Just read the message you sent me last night. Okay, I promise not to drink again. Not getting drunk and have a hangover again. I’m sorry for last night. I love you.’

SinB reads the text she just typed again before she hits the send button, replying to Yerin’s text. 

’Thank you for the soups and jjampong. And for last night too. I will enjoy the food. You take care of yourself too, please. Don’t be sorry, just don’t do it again.’

SinB puts her phone in the pocket and sits at the dining table, waiting for Yuju and Umji to eat.

”Uhh, that Jackson must really love you, SinB-yah,” Umji said as soon as she sits next to SinB.

”Not him...” mutters SinB.

SinB wanted to correct her friends but then decides to let it go when the two starts eating and exclaiming as soon as the spicy broth enters their mouth. The two women with throbbing headaches enjoy the food full of gratitude under the false knowledge of whom it was from, while SinB savours the food happily knowing how much Yerin cares for her.

****

”I don’t want to do it,” Yerin pouts.

”You have to,” Sowon glares at Yerin.

”Nope. I don’t have to~” Yerin crosses her arms, pouting and shaking her head.

Everyone in the attending break room shakes their heads at Yerin’s antics. Heechul, Seolhyun, Irene, Eunha, Hwasa, Solar and particularly Sowon, they know why the trauma surgeon refusing to join them. But, they know that somehow Sowon would work something out and Yerin will have to do it. 

”Anyone who is an attending in this room has to do it. So, you have to, Yerin.” Sowon smiles triumphantly for coming up with the perfect unrebuttable point. As usual, she turns around to look at Yerin’s defeated face only to find the seat where Yerin was is vacant.

”I’m a garbage can, so, I don’t have to,” said Yerin innocently.

Everyone gasped in shocked. No one would expect one of the best trauma surgeons in the hospital to be doing that. Yerin is sitting inside a large black garbage can with a lid by the couch. She is holding the lid with her hand, with her head sticking out from the garbage can. Sure that is a new garbage can, it was being delivered while they were gathering in the room, but still, who would do that just to get out of doing something.

”Dr. Kim, we were told to be here for a meetin-” SinB’s mouth agape, her feet stop moving, she is blinking, staring at the garbage can, to be exact, the person in the garbage can in disbelief. 

Yerin’s eyes meet SinB’s and she is embarrassed by her predicament. Well, embarrassed is an understatement. Yerin silently praying that she is invisible or better yet, to just extinct from existing right now. Flustered by the unannounced appearance of the woman she is currently courting that is in its primetime seeing that SinB was smiling the sweetest smile at her just a few days ago, Yerin quickly gets on her feet to get out of the garbage can.

Yerin hopes that there is still little chance left for her to save herself from the disaster she created herself. But to no avail, she fails miserably. As her moves were so sudden and uncalculated, Yerin fell to the side while still in the garbage can. A loud thud brings SinB and Sowon out of their stupor while Yerin is praying for her to be in one. It is better for her to be in a comatose state right now and wakes up a few months later when everything just happened is out of everyone’s memory.

”Ah yes, Dr. Hwang, Dr. Choi and Dr. Kim. Please, sit down and be comfortable. Help yourself with the snacks and drinks. It’s not a formal meeting,” Sowon welcomed the three interns. 

”Dr. Park, Dr. Im. You can help them be at ease, please,” Sowon said to the other two people who just walked into the room. The two slightly senior than the three interns nod their head while looking at the garbage can on the floor with a puzzled look.

Sowon tries her best not to laugh out loud, she approaches Yerin while laughing quietly. Yerin is still in the garbage can, lying on the ground. She is sure Yerin is not injured or passed out, rather she is too embarrassed to get up. She would be too if she is caught in that predicament in front of the woman she is trying to get together with. Sowon planned to help Yerin with SinB by giving her a role that involves lots of interaction between them. But seeing how it is now, Yerin just blew her own chance which Sowon doesn’t think she could salvage it. 

Sowon squats down beside Yerin and as expected, the fairest woman she ever met has turned into a squished tomato. Yerin’s red face just plop on the floor looking like someone who just gave up a will to live. 

”Time to get up miss garbage can. And, congratulations Yerin! you was just cast to be ’mister garbage can’ for the play,” Sowon holds out her hand, smiling at Yerin. 

Yerin wanted to cry but it would make her look even pathetic than she already is. She could only let out a sigh before getting out of the garbage can and stands on her feet.

Just act cool, Yerin. Act cool.

As if acting cool is going to erase the memory of what just happened, Yerin convinces herself to still do it. She flashes a gummy smile at SinB who is looking at her utterly shocked and disappointed. Yerin could almost hear what SinB said in her mind as the woman look at her in disappointment. Yerin throws herself on the couch next to Eunha who is still laughing with Irene and Heechul. 

SinB sighs. She can’t believe what she just saw. 

Why, Duckie? Why?! Just when I was falling for you, the charming, charismatic you, why do you have to be like this? Why do you have to embarrass yourself and me in front of this people? Haih...

”Alright, everyone, I would like to thank you all for being here. Be comfortable, it’s not a formal meeting. Well, as much as it might be comfortable to sit in an enclosed space like the garbage can, I would really appreciate that we all sit on the chairs or couch, or the floor,” Sowon smirks at Yerin. Yerin just clench her jaw without saying anything.

Sowon continues, ”we are here to discuss and prepare for the hospital’s annual children’s festival and fundraising. So, as usual, we are going to perform a play. Of course, the play is going to be continuation from the past years with these five superheroes that will be played by our permanent cast,” Sowon said as she stretches out her hand, pointing at Heechul, Seolhyun, Irene, Eunha and Hwasa. 

”SinB-ssi, Umji-ssi and Nayeon-ssi are going to be part of the cast. Solar unnie and Yuju-ssi will be the narrators and singers,” Sowon smiles at the three young women.

”And, our most important character will be played by Yerin. This year she will play ’Mister Garbage Can’,” Sowon announced excitedly, smiling from ear to ear while Yerin grunts.

”Dr. Park, you don’t mind helping me and Yerin with the props as usual, do you?” Sowon asks, the young man nods and gives her an okay sign.

”Alright then. So, everyone happy with the role?” Sowon asks and instantly, Yerin raises her hand, objecting, ” why am I the garbage can?”

”Because you fit in perfectly,” Sowon answered.

”I always have those kinds of roles, can we draw a ballot or something?” suggested Yerin.

”Are you sure, Yerin-ah? Do you not recall how it always ends up when we do that?” questioned Heechul.

Knowing exactly what the oldest man in the room is talking about, Yerin lets out a heavy sigh. Yerin just nods her head weakly and plops down on the table. There is no point of drawing ballots or playing rock-paper-scissors to determine the role because she will always lose or end up drawing the exact role that she doesn’t want to do. They did that for the first three years they started doing this project and then stopped. Since then, Yerin had always cast as the villain or the important-but-unsightly role. 

”Okay, it’a settled then. So, this year’s theme is keeping the earth clean. The storyline is simple. Two girls, Umji-ssi and SinB-ssi will play in the park and they will eat some snacks. Then they just leave the rubbish there without throwing it away. The superheroes are going to appear, they will stop the two girls and talk about the importance to keep the environment clean. Then SinB-ssi will pick up the rubbish and throw it in Mister Garbage Can. Then of course, we will end it with a song,” explained Sowon, the director and team leader for the project.

”Uh, uh, and one more thing. Just like before, there will be a puppy in the play as well. He will sniff and tries to eat the rubbish,” Eunha as the assistant director adds excitedly.

Everyone smiles at the mention of the puppy. Yerin huffs. Even the puppy get a good role, he always being saved from harm. While she on the other hand, always have to be the monster, the inconsiderate, cruel person who abuse the dog, the dog’s poop and now the garbage can. She just hopes that the puppy wouldn’t pee on her.

***

’I love you’

SinB’s eyes widen when she reads the card Yerin is holding in her hand when she tosses the make-believe garbage into the bin that Yerin is wearing as her costume. SinB brushes off Yerin and proceeds with her acting. She picks up empty cans on the stage and puts them in the garbage can a.k.a Yerin a.k.a. Mister Garbage Can. And this time, Yerin whispers quietly to her, ”let’s go out on a date”. SinB shoots a death glare at Yerin, scolding the woman with her eyes and clenched lips. SinB sighs as she still has another garbage that she needs to pick up and throw into the can because she couldn’t tell what Yerin is going to say next when she does. Another card welcomes her eyes when SinB throws the last plastic bag into the garbage can - ’I love you. I’m yours. Be mine?’ 

”Sseulegitong ahjussi! Stop disturbing the pretty noona!” a boy amongst of the audience screams at Yerin, probably saw the non-verbal exchanges between SinB and Yerin. They both just smile at the audiences and SinB continue her acting. 

SinB managed to finish the play according to what they had rehearsed although she got distracted by Yerin’s unscripted love confession. They end the play with a song. SinB knew this is the most anticipated moment that Yerin has been waiting for. Not because she will be singing, but because they got to hold hands. Dr. Sowon asked them to sing the end song together while holding hands. And Yerin was the most excited person among them when Dr. Sowon announced it.

”Yah sseulegitong ahjussi! Get your hands off my preety noona!” the same boy shouted at Yerin and Yerin just sticks out her tongue at him in response. 

The audiences all clap their hands when they bow at the end of the play. It is expected because almost 90% of the audience are children.

”Do you know the boy who yelled earlier?” SinB asks Heechul once they got to the backstage as Yerin went straight to a corner to take off the garbage can costume that is just a real garbage can attach to a piece of cloth and shoulder straps. She grew closer with Heechul, the plastic surgeon while they were preparing for the play. 

”Ahh, that’s Yejun. The two are close. He is one of the patients who spend most of their time in the ward instead of at home. He has cancer. I operated on him once to reconstruct his jaw after they remove his tumour. Don’t worry, he was just joking with Yerin. That’s how they are. Oh, and don’t be surprised when Yejun comes by and picks you up. Here he comes,” Heechul smiles at SinB, directing his gaze at the ten-year-old boy striding confidently towards them.

”Hi, Dr. preety noona. I’m Yejun, nice to be able to meet such a beauty in my lifetime,” the boy greets SinB and introduces himself. He stretches out his hand for a handshake.

”Nice to meet you, Yejun. I’m SinB noona-” SinB also stretches out her hand to shake the boy’s hand but someone else is grabbing the boy’s hand, shaking it rather roughly.

”Nice meeting you too, brat!” Yerin sticks out her tongue at the boy who is shocked and vexed when she takes his hand that was meant for the beautiful SinB and shaking it roughly.

”Can you please move, Dr. Monster. I’m talking to this beautiful SinB noona. I don’t need to shake this coarse hand of yours, c’mon you sseulegitong ahjussi!” the boy grunts and pushes Yerin aside.

”Nope, can’t do, Yejun-ah. She’s mine,” said Yerin, proudly smiling at the boy.

”Well, you never know. SinB noona just met me tonight, she probably will choose me over you, just wait and see I do my magic,” the boy winks at SinB and smirks at Yerin.

”We’ll see...” Yerin smiles at SinB and also winks at the young woman.

”But, first thing first. Let’s get the food,” Yejun lightly tugs Yerin’s hand and drags her towards the buffet table not far from them.

”Noona, let’s treat this dinner as our first date,” said Yejun, smiling charmingly at SinB while taking a seat across the table where SinB already seated at.

”Yejun-ah, didn’t I tell you already?” Yerin looks at the boy, pouting her lips, wearing her mocked sympathetic expression on her face.

”Let’s settle this like a gentleman, shall we?” the boy suggested and Yerin stretches out her arm in front of her body, gesturing the boy to do what he wanted to do. SinB just blinks her eyes, staring at them in disbelief.

”Don’t I get a say in this matter?” asked SinB when Yerin and the boy sitting in front of her started to arm wrestle while boasting about their strengths and who is going to win.

”Ah yes, of course my beautiful noona. Oh, I’m sorry for our barbaric behaviour,” Yejun says in an utmost charming, gentlemanly tone he could muster.

”Tch. Poseur!” Yerin rolls her eyes.

”Let’s be civil. Okay noona, tells us your decision with these jellies. Whose jelly you choose is the one,” the boy suggested as he takes the pineapple jelly from his tray and strawberry jelly from Yerin’s tray, then puts them before SinB’s tray. 

”Fine. I like this way better,” said Yerin.

Both Yejun and Yerin look at SinB with eyes full of hope. They clasped their hands, praying hard for their jelly to be chosen. SinB flashes a smile at the two who look serious, waiting for her decision patiently. Their eyes follow every movement of her hand. SinB wanted to laugh at how childish Yerin could be, having to fight over her with a ten-year-old boy using fruit-flavoured jelly as a determinant. SinB likes the colour red but she likes a pineapple-flavoured jelly more, so she slowly moves her hand over the yellow coloured jelly. 

”Hah! I knew it!” Yejun exclaimed in happiness and excitement at Yerin as soon as the tip of SinB’s fingers touch the pineapple jelly. Yerin lets out a soft whimper. 

Yerin is about to starts eating her fried rice when Yejun clears his throat and shoots a death glare at her. 

”Ehem! Can you please excuse us, sseulegitong ahjussi? Me and this pretty noona is on a date.” 

Yerin scoffs and rolls her eyes before putting down the spoon. She picks up the tray and moves to stand on her feet, getting ready to leave them.

”Not too far, you said we’d share the sweet and sour chicken,” requested the boy as he holds onto Yerin’s wrist. 

Yerin then sits back down, lifts her buttock a bit and slides to the chair next to her, leaving a vacant space between her and the boy. The two look at each other before nodding their head in agreement that it should be enough space for the privacy that the boy needed for his date with SinB. SinB lets out a soft chuckles seeing their antics.

SinB smiles at the boy and begins to eat while talking to him. As the boy excitedly shares about himself to SinB, SinB steals a glance at Yerin. She smiles apologetically at Yerin and the woman smiles back at her lovingly and winks at her causing her to blush. Yerin gets back to her fried rice and listens to the boy talking. SinB does the same. Once in a while, the boy asks and talks to Yerin things he seeks the woman’s confirmation. After more than half an hour, a woman approaches their table and greets them. The woman, Yejun’s mother tells the boy that it is time for him to go back to his bed in the ward so he could take his medicine and sleep.

”Come and visit me sometime, Yerin noona. You don’t want to regret it when I die,” said Yejun as he stands to leave the table.

”SinB noona, thank you for the date. Come and visit me as well, this noona knows where I am,” Yejun smiles sweetly at SinB, while patting Yerin’s shoulder.

Yerin smiles and laughs a little. She ruffles the boy’s hair, ”yah! I don’t think they are coming for you. You’ve outlived almost half of the kids in your ward by now.”

”Well, that is true. But, we never know. Okay then, I enjoy your performance and dinner. Thank you, noona. Come and visit me, I need your help with this cute girl,” the boy smiles and winks at Yerin who responded with the same gestures. The two high fived before the boy takes his leave with his mother. Yerin excuses herself for a while and asks SinB to wait for her. 

SinB just smiles and nods her head. She continues to finish her food that is left. After a few minutes, Yerin is back at the table. The woman smiles at SinB meaningfully before sliding a yellow coloured jelly towards her.

”Want to go out on a date with me?” Yerin asks with a hopeful tone.

SinB smiles as she takes the jelly. She examines the jelly, trying to torture Yerin a bit more although she already made up her mind while she was still on stage an hour ago. SinB looks at the jelly and then Yerin’s face, changing alternately. 

”Okay,” said SinB and Yerin already halfway up from her seat, wanted to jump in excitement, then SinB continues, ”hold your horses. Not a date, date. But, we can go out and have lunch.”  

Despite SinB’s words, Yerin is still ecstatic, yelling ’yeah’ at the top of her lung. Blatantly disregarding SinB’s clear description of how it is not a date, Yerin says, ”okay, it’s a date. How about to-” 

”Next week. Not a date. Lunch. And then I have to go back to my parents,” said SinB, cutting off Yerin mid-sentence.

”Okay. Lunch date. And then I am going to drive you back to your parents. Let your brother knows that he doesn’t have to pick you up, okay?” Yerin said and SinB nods with an approving smile. 

”SinB, are you done? Let’s go back,” asks Umji who just comes to their table with Yuju. 

”Yes, let’s go. See you later, Dr. Jung. Good night,” SinB bows a bit at Yerin before leaving with her friends. Yerin smiles and bows her head back at SinB.

Yerin eats her strawberry-flavoured jelly while smiling by herself. She appears to be calm but every single fibre in her is twitching in excitement. Yerin could feel the butterflies in her stomach are dancing happily, celebrating her achievement to get a date with SinB. Just as she eats the jelly with a smile as wide as her face, SinB suddenly appears in front of her. The younger woman grabs the pineapple jelly that Yerin gave her a while ago. SinB shakes the jelly in her hand and smiles at her before leaving Yerin again. Yerin smiles at SinB who just shows her cheerful side at her for the first time.

Pineapple jelly, huh? 

Yerin smiles yet again, finishing her jelly.