Ex-girlfriends

Unlucky

”We are doomed.”

Sowon slumps heavily onto the metal bench outside of the ER entrance next to Yerin. They both sigh. And when they heard their name being called by the coffee vendor, they drag themselves to the small food stand to grab their drinks and sandwiches. 

”I know I am. Not sure about you, though...” Yerin said lowly as she bites her tuna sandwich. Sowon turns to her side and looks at Yerin in disbelief. 

”Did you happen to be blind and deaf? You saw Eunha glaring at me.”

”That is not as bad as Eunha, Irene and her intern glaring and staring at me.”

For the nth time, they both sigh. This is not what Yerin had in mind when she skipped happily to the hospital she worked this morning. Sowon is definitely not the one she pictured in her head to be sitting next to her taking a sip of the hot coffee carefully like its hot lava. She is not sure if this was what Sowon had in mind though seeing how her act was the reason they are here right now.

”Ah well, I’m always doomed anyway. So, it’s just everyday life to me,” Yerin tries to accept her day is not going to be as wonderful as she would like.

”Oh yeah. Thanks, Yerin.” Sowon looks up from her sandwich and shoots a thankful smile at Yerin, and she just smiles back bitterly.

”Oh, and for the record, I tried finding someone to swap with me but no one wants to - Friday night. But still, thanks for being unlucky and got all these injuries. I don’t think I should be hated too early in. We are just together not more than a week.”

Yerin looks at Sowon sad face and laughs. Her best friend really loves her girlfriend. But she doubts that Eunha’s older sister will hate Sowon just like she hates her. The woman just didn’t like her in particular, not people in general and surely not people who dated her sister. It is just Jung Yerin that she hates.

”Nah...she wouldn’t hate you. It’s just me. I think you’re good.” Yerin pats her best friend’s shoulder assuringly.

”Just why does she hates you so much?” Sowon asks and the question has been lingering in everyone’s mind for years now. Yerin just shrugs her shoulder and frowns her lips as she also has no idea why.

Eunha older sister never liked her even when they weren’t together as a couple, back when they were still just best friends in high school. It boggles her mind but she never cared about it as it doesn’t harm her or Eunha in any way. Might have caused some disturbance in their relationship, but she and Eunha always power through it. That is why today can be expected to be a nightmare for Yerin but she will have to endure it for Eunha.

There will be talks about Eunha’s marriage which then will lead to how difficult it will be since she is not in a typical relationship. And since they are on the topic, the woman will take the opportunity to slam Yerin for being in a relationship with Eunha but didn’t go through and marry her, which is not her fault actually but she never bothered to correct the woman who is two years older than her and Eunha. That will eventually end up with Yerin being the obstacle in Eunha’s life especially they are still hanging out together, close with each other like they are still in a relationship and all these caused Eunha to miss out on dating other people. And not surprisingly, it will circle back to when Eunha and her in high school. And the vicious cycle repeats itself.

”You should go out with her sometimes, maybe she will tell you why? I admit I am curious sometimes, but never cared to ask or think much about it. I treated all her babbling like the bees’ buzzing sound. It is irritating but wouldn’t want to stir the hornets’ nest.”

Yerin takes another bite of her sandwich, bracing herself for a day full of Eunha’s sister unnecessary comments, wasting time trying on clothes that look good on the mannequin but don’t look good on her, and Yerin’s forced smiles. 

”Come to think about it, you really are doomed,” Sowon laughs at Yerin who looks calm as nothing the woman said is hurtful. To others, it may be hurtful but it is just a matter of fact for Yerin.

”Sowon-ah, can I ask Eunha for a kiss?” Yerin asks casually. ”I mean...with all this throbbing pain in my head and this uncomfortable hotness in my crotch, you have to agree that I am indeed in need.” 

”Do you want that throbbing pain to last for a month?” Sowon smacks the back of her best friend’s head that she knows is half serious and half joking. It is highly likely that Yerin will get a kiss in a blink of an eye if she agrees to it. Yerin grins at the woman and slouched on the bench. 

The two both finished their sandwiches and drinks after a few minutes. But there is still an hour before Eunha’s shift ends and Sowon’s to start.

”Can you talk to Eunha about...last night?” Sowon hangs her head low, fiddling with her coffee cup.

”What do you want me to say? Or do you want me to ask her something? You do know that is not everything in a relationship, right?” Yerin lets her eyes wander aimlessly.

Sowon nods her head weakly. Well, it’s not rocket science, of course she knows what Yerin is talking about. Still, she wants to make her girlfriend happy in every way she can and that includes the intimate aspect of their relationship. Eunha didn’t complain, she was the one bringing the subject up, having no knowledge that it will bring her down. Although they didn’t do anything last night except sleeping, Eunha treated her the same loving way this morning. Nothing changed. 

”Maybe I am overthinking it,” Sowon says under her breath, not meant for Yerin to hear her.

”I’ll try and ask her. Don’t get your hope high though...” Yerin heard Sowon’s external monologue tries to assure her.

”How did you do it? I mean, isn’t it normal that people make sounds when they are at it?” Sowon asks.

Yerin’s eyes widened hearing Sowon’s question. She thought Sowon would let go of the topic but she obviously is still hung on it.

”You can always muffle the sound, Sowon,” said Yerin tries to be discreet in discussing the topic that is so but the look on Sowon’s face tells Yerin that her friend doesn’t have a clue what she talks about.

”Have you ever find yourselves trying not to laugh out loud?” Yerin asks in an attempt to explain to Sowon what she meant.

”Yeah, sometimes I bit my bottom lip. Sometimes I cover my mouth with my hand,” Sowon responded both verbally and physically, and with her hand still covering , her eyes lit up as she just figures something out.

”So you cover with your hand? You tied something over ? I didn’t know you are into that thingy, oh my goodness.” Sowon gasped in shock while Yerin facepalms herself. There is no way Yerin is into something rough. She is really gentle and smooth. And it is sometimes unbelievable that Sowon could imagine something extraordinary but failed to see things in the most simplistic way.

”You’ll choke her to death if you cover with your hand. And I think that is definitely a mood killer. Can you think of a way of doing that but in a more intimate way rather than just cover with your hand? And no, I’m not into that rough thing. Not sure if she is too. Pretty sure you are not too.” 

Sowon stares blankly into the far away. She frowns, tilts her head in all direction, she shuts her eyes, she opens her eyes and still looks as confused as ever. Yerin shakes her head in disbelief that her best friend whom she had befriended for years, whom she had share a few articles published in medical journals, whom she had done surgeries together, whom she had taught and prepped for her first date and first night with her first girlfriend, and some other girls, is taking that long to figure out what she could possibly do.

”You kiss her, you idiot! Never lets go of her lips. Swallows all the sounds. Muffles the sound escaping from . Keep yours and busy.” 

Sowon’s mouth agape in awe and her head bobs up and down, both in understanding and amazed with the newly learnt information. But not for long before her face looks puzzled again, ”don’t you use your mouth at some other places? Travelling down under? We only have like one mouth and a set of lips, how is that possible then?” 

Yerin sighs. 

”Well technically we have two sets of lips.” Yerin chuckles at her own witty remark which she sure Sowon will get sometime later when she thinks back about what she just said. And then she moves her fingers swiftly in front of Sowon’s face hoping the woman gets a clue. Sowon clearly doesn’t have a slightest of idea when she just blindly copies what Yerin was doing and staring at her hands like a baby who is amazed by the fact that she even has hands.

”I’m sure you can find other functions for your fingers other than picking your nose. Pretty sure you don’t have frozen shoulder, you can move your arms up and down...who am I kidding? You might not figure it out. Keep busy with your finger or fingers, whichever suits you two.”

Sowon shoots a quizzical look at Yerin while looking at her fingers. She was about to ask something but Yerin cuts her off, ”I’m done! Go figure it out yourself. You managed to become a surgeon, you can use that brain and wild imagination of yours to figure it out. My head is throbbing harder because of you.” 

***

“Thank you for dressing up,” Eunha said in full honesty to Yerin.

”We don’t want to get an earful of blabbing for hours, don't we?” Yerin winks at Eunha as she takes the woman’s handbag and walks side by side to the car.

Eunha looks at Yerin’s back with a heavy heart. She always knew her older sister was never a fan of Yerin, to put it lightly. To be brutally honest, the woman two years older than her hates Yerin. She could never figure out why but ever since they were in high school, her sister was never shy to show how much she detests Yerin. Yerin had never once said anything, she used to pretend she didn’t hear her but as they got older, Yerin sometimes gives her sister a taste of her own medicine.

She couldn’t thank Yerin enough for putting up with her older sister and among all her friends and ex-lovers, Yerin is the only one who rarely complains or avoids accompany Eunha when she goes out with her sister. Sowon had tagged along with their outings but that was when they weren’t together as a couple, so she doesn’t know how her sister would react towards her and how is Sowon’s acceptance. But, judging by Sowon’s relieved expression yesterday and this morning, seems like Yerin is still reigning champion for putting up with her sister.

Yerin opens the passenger seat’s door and lets Eunha sits comfortably before handing her the handbag. She gets into the driver’s seat, buckles Eunha’s seatbelt and her’s. They sit in silence while warming up the engine. Eunha turns on the radio and pushes the button to go to her preset radio station. It is still there, after all these years, it is still there, just like it used to be. Yerin is always the driver and Eunha is the one in charge of entertainment and refreshments. Eunha gets comfortable in her seat and Yerin starts driving leaving the hospital compound. She was about to doze off when suddenly the car slows down and halts. The window on her side was wind down by Yerin.

”Hey, hop in. We’ll drop you at the hospital,” Yerin shoots her infamous dazzling smile at the intern who just got off the bus at the bus stop opposite the hospital which they just exited not more than ten minutes ago.

”Ah, Dr. Jung. It’s okay, I can just cross the street,” SinB politely declining Yerin’s offer that is practically absurd.

”It’s safer to ride a car than to cross the busy street,” Yerin still doesn’t give up. 

”I’ll use the zebra crossing, don’t worry. It’s nearer and I think faster,” reasoned SinB, still rejecting Yerin’s offer.

Eunha looks at the two-lane road in front of them and behind them through the rearview mirror. There is literally about seven cars behind them and probably the same amount of vehicles on the other side of the road as it is 2.30 p.m., it is not a peak hour just yet. The intern could just run to cross the road with only little to no chance of getting hit by a car. Plus, there is a zebra crossing in about ten metres in front of them, equipped with a traffic light that will turn to red in a few seconds once a pedestrian pushes the button to allow pedestrians or people riding the bicycles to cross the road safely to get to the other side which mostly caters to people going to the hospital.

It is outrageously impractical for Yerin to offer the girl a ride where they have to make a u-turn in 50 metres from where they are at to get to the hospital entrance only to have to drive another 50 metres and make a u-turn to get to the side of the road they are already in which is by the way, is the direction of their destination. But, Eunha knows Yerin is not going to give up until Hwang SinB steps into the car because her ex-girlfriend had fallen head over heels in love with this new intern.

”I think it takes the same amount of time walking and driving. Probably riding a car will be faster,” Yerin smiles and now adds a hand gesture inviting SinB to get into the car.

One of the words that doesn’t include in Yerin’s dictionary is ’give up’. Giving up in general is something Yerin has difficulty in comprehends it, giving up with the person she loves is something she could never do. Yerin gets off the car and walk around to the other side of the car and opens the backseat’s door for SinB. SinB is also as persistent as Yerin, still saying no to Yerin although she had opens the door for her.

Eunha glances at the clock displayed on the screen and realises if she lets the two play tug of war, they might be there for a while and they are going to be late. Eunha smiles warmly at SinB and asks the girl to get in and let them drop her in front of the hospital. Finally, SinB reluctantly agrees but bows politely several times at Eunha before getting into the backseat. Yerin closes the door as soon as SinB sits in the backseat and returns to the driver’s seat with a gleeful smile. She then happily drives them back to the hospital. 

”Eunha, where are you? You better not cancel on me...” Eunha’s older sister’s voice fills the car as soon as she answers her phone that has been hooked up to the car’s system, hence the speaker mode.

”At the hospital, we are on our way. I’m not cancelling on you, unnie.” Eunha casually talks to the person at the other end of the call on speaker.

”We? Are you coming with Sowon? I thought she had to work and couldn’t find anyone to swap with her?” the woman asks.

”I’m with Yerin.” 

”Urgh, that tard?!”

”Unnie, you are on speaker,” Eunha flustered upon hearing her sister’s name-calling Yerin.

”Hey...” Yerin finally greets the woman on the line, but rather unenthusiastically. 

”Meh, she knows I don’t like her. And you Jung Yerin, make sure you got there in time! I’m not looking forward to meeting you, I need Eunha here for the wedding gown fitting and I have lots of things lined out today. So, you better not screw my plan!” the woman warns Yerin straightforwardly in a harsh tone.

”We are going to be there in time. Unnie, there is other people in here, so mind your language,” Eunha said in the most gentle way possible as she could see a change in SinB’s facial expression ever since her sister called Yerin with an indecorous name earlier.

”I’m only saying the truth. She is what she is. I’ll see you there, Eunha. Bye.” 

Click.

”I’m sorry Dr. Hwang,” Eunha apologises, scrunching her nose cutely at it to which SinB just shakes her head and smiles, saying it’s okay.

”Just call me SinB, Dr. Jung,” said SinB, asking the general surgeon to adress her casually.

”And you can call me Eunha, we are not on the clock. Even if we are, you don’t have to call me by my family’s name, it’s confusing sometimes with this one over here. I’m sorry, Yerin,” said Eunha as she rubs Yerin’s lap tenderly.

”It’s okay. Not your fault. Sorry you had to hear that SinB. And you can call me Yerin, yoebo, jagiya, or any pet name you like,” Yerin turns around and grins at SinB while caressing Eunha’s hand on her lap reassuringly.

”Ahh that reminds me, I promised Umji and Yuju to check on Duckie...” SinB chuckles, ”I mean on you, Dr. Jung.”

Eunha laughs when she heard SinB called Yerin Duckie. That has always been Sowon’s nickname for Yerin because the woman just loves duck. She didn’t know the cold, mysterious intern could crack a joke. And a good one at it. Yerin on the other hand just melted in her seat, smiling from ear to ear that her eyes disappear altogether. 

”I asked Dr. Park to change the dressing for Duckie this morning. You should tell your friend not to worry too much. She’ll live. She had suffered injuries far worse than this,” Eunha smiles at SinB and the intern just nods her head.

”You can check to make sure,” Yerin said as she s her pants, almost exposing her underwear but Eunha was quick to cover them with her hand.

”Ahh. N-no. I don’t have to,” SinB stutters while her face is burning, her eyes widened and mouth agape with incredulity.

Papp!

Eunha slaps Yerin’s thigh causing the woman to wince, groaning in pain.

”Don’t just take off your pants in public, Yerin-ah!” yelled Eunha. Eunha is not jealous or wants to steal Yerin’s attention. She is simply keeping Yerin in check since the woman can act foolishly without thinking of the consequences. Ignoring Yerin’s groan, Eunha pulls up the zipper and buttons the woman’s pants back. She is well aware how painful it is but chooses to ignore it because she knows Yerin can withstand the pain but SinB might just pass out due to extreme shock.

Yerin mutters an apology. She stopped the car in front of the hospital’s main entrance. SinB has been breathing normally and looks less shocked than before, but her face is still bright red. Yerin turns to her back and apologises to the young woman once again. 

”I got two days MC, so you can text me to check on me. That’s my number.” Yerin puts a piece of paper with her number in SinB’s hand and winks at her. Then, she hurried to get out of the car to open the door for SinB, but the intern is already halfway out of the car. SinB thanked Eunha and Yerin for driving her to the hospital.

”Have a good day at work, don’t forget to eat and get some rests in between,” Yerin lovingly reminding SinB as she bids her goodbye.

”Thank you. I will. I don’t know if I can say the same to you. Thank you again. Goodbye,” SinB smiles and bows slightly at the two attendings before heading into the building. When SinB is already at the automatic door of the building, she turns around and sees Yerin is still looking at her and smiles at her. SinB is a bit surprised and smiles back awkwardly at the woman. She walks as fast as she can but still controlling her gait. She thought the woman had left, and just turn around to confirm it but then when their eyes met, she got embarrassed. 

”She turned around, she has a feeling for me too,” chirped Yerin.

***

Yerin and Eunha arrive at the wedding dress boutique fifteen minutes early from the set time while the future bride is nowhere to be seen. Yerin scoffs in her mind and proceeds to take a seat on the comfy couch at the corner. Eunha is going to be one of the bridesmaids, so she also has a dress. Since her sister is going to be late, the worker told Eunha that she can try her dress while waiting for the bride-to-be. 

”Oh, and we have suits for you too. You can try it on and we’ll take a picture of you two,” Yerin choked on the complimentary ice tea she just takes a sip when the woman who works at the boutique said it to her.

Yerin just stares at the woman blankly, not knowing what to do. She is not a part of the wedding, she doesn’t want to be a part of it and everyone surely can guess the bride detests it that she might just cancel her wedding to stop it from happening. Eunha quickly saves Yerin by telling the worker that Yerin is just there accompanying her. But to no avail, the worker still asks her to change into the suit so they could take pictures of them for promotion purposes. And Eunha is delighted to help them with it, dragging Yerin who still looks lost to the changing room. Since Eunha’s begging face is cute and adorable, Yerin or any other human being doesn’t have a heart to let the woman down. 

One of the workers puts two sets of clothing in the changing room that Yerin is going to use. A fitted, grey with black-coloured shawl lapels tuxedo; and a cobalt blue fitted suit with burgundy narrow tie. Yerin stares at the two suits and judging by the cutting, they were made for women’s body. Probably the boutique is extending their clientele. She stares at them as she doesn’t know what she is supposed to do, which one should she tries on first? Since she hasn’t received any instructions, she just sits there doing nothing. 

”You can put on the blue suit first,” the worker finally said to Yerin when she doesn’t hear any sound from her changing room. Yerin just hums her respond and starts taking off her clothes. Since Yerin has a pretty standard body size, the suit fits her well. She doesn’t have a fair share of wearing neckties, but she knows how to tie them but not as neat as professionals could do. It took Yerin not more than 15 minutes to change into the suit, so she gets out of the changing room and waits for Eunha to get out from hers. She didn’t wear her shoes when she walked out of the changing room and went straight to the couch earlier to drink her milk tea. The worker then gives her a dark burgundy coloured dress shoe and asks her to put on while they fix Yerin’s hair which is quite messy.

After about another ten minutes or so, the curtain of the changing room Eunha is using is drawn open. Eunha looks stunning in the burgundy coloured short dress with the top part is made of lace covering from an inch of Eunha’s bottom neck to her waist, exposing her neckline and only a tiny bit of her cleavage and most of her chest, a same colour of fabric underlines the lace covering the until Eunha’s mid-thigh. The dress is not particularly tight but fitted in Eunha’s body nicely that it does justice to the woman’s curves, showing a perfect silhouette. Yerin smiles upon seeing Eunha and couldn’t help gawking at the woman.

Eunha and Yerin did break up years ago, but surely there is still feelings remain in Yerin’s heart which is resurfacing at this moment when Eunha looks astonishingly beautiful in that dress that matched with her necktie and shoes. Yerin walks towards Eunha with a smile on her face. She whispers a compliment to Eunha’s ears and the girl smiles shyly, blushing a bit. As Yerin was busy drinking her milk tea, the worker didn’t get the chance to fix the necktie. Eunha stands to face Yerin and she fixes them for her, making it neat. Since Eunha is wearing high heels, there is not much of a height difference between them. Yerin is sure Eunha’s heart is beating as fast as hers and at that moment, their eyes are shooting hearts out of it like when they were in love before. 

All the worker compliments them, saying how good the clothes on them and how perfectly matched the two of them. The photographer takes pictures of them in various poses. Yerin just follows what the man asked her to do and honestly taking pictures with Eunha is not that difficult. They don’t even have a problem with intimate positions and their face can show as much emotions as they asked them too. Look at each other with a gaze full of love? No problem. Leans your forehead to each others, smiles as if you have found your true love? Got it. Kiss Eunha on the forehead? Easy peasy. Lifts up Eunha bridal style and locked our eyes on each other? Like eating a piece of cake. Know why it is so easy? Because they had done it once in the past.

As soon as they finished, Sowon video calls Eunha. Eunha picks up the call and she and Yerin greet Sowon while they are still in the matching clothing. 

”What are you two doing? Yerin? I never thought you would be trying on clothes too?” Sowon asks, clearly sounding and looking jealous. 

”They offered me free meal voucher for a restaurant nearby if I put on the suit and take pictures with Eunha. Who doesn’t want free food, right?” exclaimed Yerin joyfully grins at her best friend.

”I’m putting on the dress for the wedding. How is it?” Eunha asks as she hands her phone to Yerin and spins in front of the phone, giving Sowon the full view of what she is missing and what she should expect on the wedding day.

”You look gorgeous, my beautiful girlfriend. I really like the colour. Makes you look daring and it drives me crazy that I’m stuck in the hospital and you are there with the free-food maniac,” Sowon pouts before sticking her tongue at Yerin who suddenly showed her face on the screen.

”You can still make it Sowon. Come here and I’ll relieve your shift,” Yerin smiles at the woman and sits next to Eunha, wrapping her arm around Eunha’s slender waist.

”Where is your unnie?” Sowon asks.

”She said she’s going to be late,” Eunha answers, glancing at Yerin’s wristwatch.

”Yah! Get your hands off your ex-girlfriend. That’s my girlfriend,” exclaimed Sowon angrily, half-screaming as she is in the hospital while Eunha and Yerin are in public place.

”Come and make me!” Yerin sticks her tongue out while tightened her embrace of Eunha’s body.

”Put your hand up or I’ll show this to your future wife,” Sowon threatened Yerin as she turns her phone to left, showing SinB who is just a few steps away from her.

Yerin immediately takes her hand off Eunha’s waist and put it up in the air, flusteredly screaming at the phone to stop Sowon from approaching the love of her life.

”It’s up! It’s up! Yah, Sowon-ah!” Yerin screams and even jumps off the couch, standing upright to clearly show her hands are nowhere near Sowon’s girlfriend. 

Sowon ignores Yerin’s desperate begging scream and still approach SinB. The woman talks to the intern while holding up the phone in front of their faces. Sowon is a bit surprised when she finally sees that Eunha and Yerin are both standing side by side right now, with the latter keeping her free hand up in the air. 

”Dr. Eunha, you look breathakingly beautiful in that dress,” SinB earnestly compliment Eunha and the two exchange smiles.

”And you don’t look so bad yourself, you look handsome too Dr. Jung,” SinB finally said as Yerin keeps wriggling her eyebrows at her, curling up one side of her lips to form a charming smile, gesturing the intern to look at her and evaluate her look. 

Yerin smiles proudly at the compliment but then pout, making a sad face when SinB calls her by her family name. Yerin sadly says, ”you don’t have to call me by my family’s name...”

”Ok then, Duckie. We have to get back to work. And your nightmare is approaching you. So, I better go. Good luck, Duckie! Eunha honey, I love you. Call you later.” 

Sowon ends the call before Yerin or Eunha could utter a word. And as the screen gets dark, they can see Eunha’s sister is walking towards them, rolling her eyes. Yerin thought in her mind that it would do everyone good if she could scoop out those eyes from its socket. She then takes a deep breath, bracing herself for a rude, unnecessary wrath from the woman who was thirty minutes late for her own wedding dress fitting. But, surely she will make them as someone else’s fault like she usually does and takes out on Yerin.

”Yah! Don’t ever think of coming to my wedding. So, don’t waste people’s time and energy fitting for something that looks ugly when you wears them. Pity the suit as you make it looks hideous.”

And there it is, as expected. Yerin sighs and shrugs her shoulder at Eunha who shoots an apologetic look at her. She excuses herself and told the worker she is going to get changed. She halted her step when Eunha’s sister once again yells at her to not hover the changing room as she needs to use it to change into her wedding dress and claim an obvious but not necessary remark that she is the ’woman of the hour’ and needs to be treated as such. The workers are all looking guilty and uncomfortable, not knowing what to say in the situation.

”I’ll get changed in the same room as her. Do you mind, Eunha?” Yerin asks as she picks up her clothes that she hangs in the changing room she used earlier. Eunha shakes her head and gestures Yerin to come with her while one of the workers gets Yerin’s shoes and the hangers for the suit. The worker puts them in the changing room that contains Eunha’s clothes.

The changing room is spacious and it is not a problem at all for two people to change their clothes. Plus, it’s not a big deal for the two as they have seen almost every part of each other’s body. Well, every inch of Eunha’s body has imprinted in Yerin’s mind. But, it is not the same case for Eunha. Throughout the years they were together romantically, Yerin was always the giver, rarely the receiver. Not for any reason other than Yerin just likes to be in the giving end and not the other end. 

Eunha looks at Yerin whose back is facing her. They have been together as friends for almost half of their lives, and romantically for a couple of years but Yerin has always been respecting her privacy. She and Yerin shared the same room back in medical school and when she and Sowon still living in the apartment that now Yerin had bought from the original owner. So, there were not many changes when they were dating. And all those years, Yerin had always get changed in the same room as Eunha but she will face the other way. Yerin has always been a respectable, well-mannered person in that way although she might have not seem like one.

Yerin will only fix her lewd-natured gaze on Eunha while she is taking off or putting on clothes when she has the intention of having ual in mind. Otherwise, she rarely looks at Eunha when she is performing the activity. Yerin’s chivalrous manners extended to when she is in bed as well. Not once did they ever had ual without being covered with the blanket or comforter. So, Eunha never saw Yerin completely .

There were so many times that Yerin was able to bring Eunha to her peak euphoria in bed while they are still completely dressed. People might think that it is impossible, and she too had the same thought until Yerin proved her wrong. How could Eunha never see Yerin completely ? Because she could never keep her eyes open once Yerin’s gentle touch and kiss landed on her that never left until she at least finished twice. And she has never gone dining downtown on Yerin as the woman never asked or directed her to do so. She and Yerin are both not fond of doing that although she did lead Yerin to do that once or twice when they started dating, thinking that was what Yerin would have wanted to like her previous lovers and what she needed to to get aroused and finished. But, she found out that Yerin could do wonder without even doing that to her. The woman could bring her to the peak and stay there for quite sometimes without penetrating. Those hips are really something that it could move in all direction that sends shivers to every inch of Eunha’s body.

Plus, Yerin was always the one giving, she doesn’t even ask or lead Eunha to satisfied her that sometimes it hurts Eunha. And when Eunha showed her emotion, those were when Yerin gives in to be on the receiving ends. Well, that only happened like twice because most of the time, Yerin could go on for long and tires Eunha that she can’t even move her muscle to do anything except for cuddling and kissing. And even when it happened, Yerin never let Eunha went down.

She and Yerin had showered together numbers of time and sometimes that shower led to ual . And Yerin is not one of the people that shower with some clothes on but although they had engaged in some passionate shower ual , she hasn’t got the privilege to study the woman’s body in its bare form. Eunha was always the first to get into the shower and Yerin will sneak behind her and once the woman’s hand touches her body, trailing her body with her lips, her eyes shut to a land only Yerin could take her. Hence, Eunha throughout the years, has never got a full picture of Yerin’s body. 

Thinking about her good times with Yerin, her ex-girlfriend, makes Eunha’s mind wanders about her current girlfriend, Sowon. As much as Eunha doesn’t care much about the ual part of her relationship, it bothers her to the least with Sowon’s performance for the two times they engaged in ual . Much to Sowon’s displeased, they were both a disappointment for Eunha. She loves Sowon and that is enough cause for her to let it go but since Sowon brought it up herself, and even went to the shaman for help, the shaman that Sowon sought originally to help cast away Yerin’s bad luck. By the way, Eunha doesn’t think the shaman did anything worth her price. Just like Sowon said this morning, she and Yerin are still doomed.

”Here, let me help you with that,” Yerin’s words and hand movement on her back, ping her dress drag Eunha back to reality. Eunha mutters her thank you and finished changing her clothes after ten minutes. They both walk out of the changing room and wait for her sister to get out of hers in her wedding dress. Yerin wanted to go out and walk a bit while waiting for them to finish when her sister got out of the changing room, scorning at her. Eunha somehow manages to get Yerin to stay with her pleading eyes. Yerin did step out of the boutique for a few minutes to get some drinks and bread, but she came back as quickly as she could and stays beside Eunha the whole time without uttering a single word.

The long day with her sister finally come to an end, she and Yerin parted way with her after grabbing some tea and light snacks. Yerin drove them to her parents for dinner which goes smoothly as expected with only a few concerned remarks from Yerin’s mother on her daughter’s injury. Yerin’s parents probably don’t worry as much because she was with her. After staying for two hours, eating and catching up, Eunha excused themselves to go to her parents’ house that is only fifteen minutes drive from there. She and Yerin talk to her father and help her mother prepares the supper. They eat while continuing the chatting session for more than two hours since Eunha haven’t gone back to her parents together with Yerin  for a few months.

Eunha lets Yerin wash up first while preparing the clothes for the woman and fixing the bed for them. She always feel contented when taking care of Yerin. Since they were young, she loves taking care of Yerin as if the woman couldn’t do it herself. Yerin is more than capable of doing so, but she just likes the feeling. She cooks for Yerin whenever she has time and Yerin doesn’t mind eating all the foods she experimented since they were in high school. She prepares the clothes for Yerin’s important events and her work clothes when they were still living together.

Probably because Eunha is very independent ever since she was in middle school that when she first saw Yerin still eating like middle schoolers when they were already in high school and dressing up like a kid, she compelled to take care of Yerin. Little that she knew at the time that Yerin just likes it that way. She most of the time prefers something simple. And she still does and acts like a child most of the times.

Although Eunha is very independent and she doesn’t like or let others to take care of her too much, she only let Yerin do so. Technically, she didn’t let her because Yerin never asked her. She just imposed herself on Eunha just like what Eunha did to her. Yerin knows her better than anyone. Yerin takes care of her without asking permission nor asking something in return.

And the best thing is, sometimes Yerin knows what she needed before she even realised she needed it. Yerin is the only person that she fully let in her life, she opens up to Yerin without even knowing it and no one else in her life is comparable to Yerin. She didn’t even tell her parents everything but she tells Yerin and sometimes she didn’t tell the woman, Yerin just knew it. Yerin can read her like a book. 

When Yerin is done showering that is so quick that Eunha had to smell her body to check whether the woman really did take a shower or just wash her face. Yerin did shower. Sometimes she does that, showering in a flash and sometimes it is painstakingly long. Yerin puts on the duck printed cotton pants and a soft yellow t-shirt that Eunha has laid on the bed for her before jumping on the bed. Eunha excuses herself and heads towards the bathroom to wash up.

”Yo!” Yerin picks up the call. Sowon is video calling her on her phone instead of calling her girlfriend causing Yerin to puzzled.

”Yo Duckie! Getting ready for bed?” 

”Yass. Wae? Do you want to talk to Eunha? She is in the shower. And no, sadly we didn’t shower together...” Yerin said in a sad voice, pouting , purposely making her friend feeling more miserable than she already is.

”I know. She texted me. Tsk...you wouldn’t dare. So, enlighten me on your sleeping arrangement tonight.” Sowon demanded and it is just making Yerin even fired-up to .

”I’ll be sleeping on the right side of the bed, Eunha will be on my left. My left hand is going to be under Eunha’s neck and pillow. She will rest her head on my chest and wraps her arm around my belly, and puts her leg on mine. While I’m going to rest my arms on her body and pull her closer when it gets cold. Just like usual. You know us.”

Yerin tries her best not to laugh crazily at Sowon who looks like she had been chewed on and spat out. She swears she just saw Sowon’s soul just left her body when she begins describing her and Eunha’s sleeping position in detail. Sowon’s eyes quiver, and she opens but nothing comes out. They both know Yerin is merely describing it truthfully. Sowon had seen how Yerin and Eunha sleep, it has always been like that before, during and after they were together romantically. Probably this time it strikes a blow to Sowon’s core as Eunha is her girlfriend now and not just someone she has been in love with.

”Yerin-ah, can you please not kind of do that tonight?” begged Sowon. Yerin has made a mission to best friend to the fullest and Sowon’s behaviour of acting all might and now begging is just making it easier. 

”I don’t know, Sowon-ah. It’s like our body had been embedded with the position. Even if we don’t do it, our body naturally curled up into the position. When we had our biggest fight, we tried sleeping at each end of the bed but somehow ended up in the same position. I don’t know if I can be a big of a help in that part. Anything else can I do for you? Like don’t kiss her head? Don’t caress her arms? Don’t hug her?” said Yerin successfully toying with Sowon’s heart when she asked the woman if she can help with anything, sounding utterly sincere.

”Yah! C’mon, stop toying with my heart,” Sowon said lowly, and it is visible that her eyes are teary with only another word from Yerin could tear down the dam, flooding Sowon’s apartment with tears.

”Okay. Okay. Don’t cry, you baby giraffe. I’m serious now. Let’s get down to business. Since Eunha is away, you should research and practice. Remember, knowledge should be sought and skills can be nurtured. If you need your old stash, the keycode is still the same. Under my bed in the black backpack. Don’t use my laptop on the desk, use the old laptop in the bag. But, I think those are a bit outdated, you should try googling it,” Yerin smiles cheekily at Sowon.

”Yerin-ah, I’m being serious. I’m nervous and scared. I don’t want to waste my chance being with Eunha over this thing. Please Yerin, help me. You’ve helped me before. Think about all the nights of encouragement, words of motivation and the push you have given me these past years, should you let them be a waste and see me failing as Eunha’s girlfriend?” Sowon says with a determination on her face.

”Sowon-ah, you take this thing too serious. I’m telling you, she bothers about this thing the least. And trust me when I say you and Eunha are in it for the long run. This little thing won’t be enough to crack your relationship. Stop worrying about it, you’ll never perform well under stress. You should know better.” Yerin’s voice is soft but clearly stern.

”I’m not too sure, Yerin. I really want to be the best for her in everything I can. Yes. I want to perform, Yerin-ah, I don’t want to just make to her, getting her finished. I want to perform! You’ve taught me in the past, help me once again. Talk to Eunha, ask her what do I need to improve and then teach me how to,” Sowon’s determination never fades but her eyes are filled with worries and fears, touching Yerin’s heart.

”Emm. Okay. I’ll try and talk to her.”

Sowon’s face lit up instantly when she heard what Yerin said. And it is the first time today that she sees Sowon smiling happily, her eyes sparkle with hopes. Just then, Eunha enters the room and smiles at Sowon. Yerin passes her phone to Eunha and left for the kitchen to drink some water before sleep to give the new couple some time alone.

Just like what Yerin told Sowon earlier, Eunha rolls over and they are locked in their standard sleeping position. Eunha trails her fingers on Yerin’s chest, clearing her throats several times attempting to say something but seems like the words are stuck in . Finally, Eunha managed to form a coherent sentence in her mind and successfully delivered them via , ”Sowon really loves me that she sweats over the little issue, doesn’t she?”

Yerin nods. Her chin and Eunha’s top of the head brushed over one another a few times.

”I told her it was nothing and she shouldn’t worry about it. But, she still does. What can I do to help? Would it be okay if I teach her a few things? I gave her a few tips already but not sure if she really gets it. Should you go back and try one more time and if it still fails, I’ll teach a few things. Does that sounds okay with you? Have you two talk about it?” Yerin asks.

”I don’t know. Don’t feel like talking about it with her. I don’t know. I don’t think I want to see you or feel you when I’m with Sowon if you teach her something.” Eunha continues trailing her fingers on Yerin’s chest, contemplating a lot on Yerin’s suggestion.

”Okay then. I won’t teach her anything then. Probably you should talk to her, reassuring her. You know how she is. I think I joke with her too much that she doesn’t take my words for it nowadays.” Yerin laughs a bit thinking about how easy for Sowon to get flustered now that she and Eunha is finally dating.

”This is all your faults. Why did you do that to her?” Eunha complaints.

”Me? Isn’t it your fault? You were the one shooting hopes from your eyes at the thought of the shaman could do something about Sowon’s ual prowess. Why don’t you just say she is great. A lie after faking it shouldn’t be too hard,” Yerin retorted, but because she loves her two best friends she suggested a smart solution for the problem.

”I love her. And you know I don’t care much about . But, I still want to be happy sometimes, and I know you still remember correctly that it took way more than three minutes. I guess all the girls were lying and it encouraged her. Now, look what is the result? I can never stand the cold shower like you two. Oh, by the way, do you still have to?” Eunha asks and immediately stops moving her fingers softly on Yerin’s chest realising that it might arouse her.

”Three minutes? Really? Woah. Didn’t think it was that bad. Heh. Cold shower is my field of specialisation,” Yerin smiles proudly before continues, ”yes, still do and will always do I guess.” Yerin plays with Eunha’s fingers making the woman feel comfortable like before.

”I guess I have to talk to her then. Just say don’t worry too much is enough, right?” Eunha asks.

”And don’t throw her out to the couch. Oh, keep the faking to a minimal. She needs to work on it more, you have got to help her then. Tell her what to do. If it still fails, I’ll teach you how to master the art of cold showering.”

Eunha smacks Yerin’s chest causing her to let out a whimper. Yerin just laughs it out.

”Did you ever had to take one when we were still together?” Eunha asks, genuinely curious about it.

”Couple of times when I ran into you at the hospital and had to pull a 36 hours shift.” 

Eunha’s gasp in shocked. She propped her chin on her hands and stares at Yerin. She never thought Yerin had experienced that. Yerin never showed that to her. They had only kissed a few times in the supply room and on-call room, but just a lingering kiss and never passionate ones.

”Why didn’t you say something to me or do something? I don’t think I would say no,” Eunha asks, amazed by Yerin’s sheer determination.

”What’s there to say? We are at work. And you know I wouldn’t do such thing. It’s not like I’m new to cold shower. I have befriended the cold shower when I was still in high school, Eunha-ya,” Yerin smiles remembering the years of raging hormones and Eunha pampering her like a child leading to cold showers in the changing room or splashing some on her face to calm herself down. Her hormones might be crazy in the inside, but Yerin always treat women with unadulterated respect. 

***

SinB gets off work at 11 p.m. She is okay with walking to the bus stop in front of the hospital, it’s only a short walk. But, she is not a fan of walking from the stop she gets off the bus to the apartment. It’s a bit of a walk but sometimes she gets anxious walking by herself at night. The breeze is quite cold tonight, SinB slips her hands in her jacket’s pocket. That’s when she remembers the piece of paper that she had kept in one of her pockets this afternoon. While waiting for the bus, she takes out the paper and read what’s written on it. A name and a phone number. Unconsciously, SinB smiles, shaking her head in disbelief.

She stares at the paper, contemplating on what she should do with it. SinB couldn’t believe that Dr. Jung Yerin wrote down her phone number on a piece of paper and gave her that. Who still does that? Of course the person who doesn’t have an SNS account in this technocentric era. She remembers exchanging her home phone number this way with her friends when she was in elementary school. That trauma surgeon is really antiquated. But, judging from her choice of car, it is not that bad. SinB didn’t ask whose car was it this afternoon a few articles about trauma surgery and comic books in the back seat was an indication that the car belongs to the woman who drives it. SinB takes out her phone from her bag and saves the number in the contact.

SinB contemplates on what name should she save the number under. Dr. Jung? She might confuse it with Dr. Eunha who by the way a respectable general surgeon that she looks up to professionally and likes, personally. She is really gorgeous in that dress and treats her really nice even though she is just a lowly intern who is not acquainted with her personally. SinB is sure that she never overly exposed her family’s background while she was still in medical school or when she started the surgical program, so there is a slim chance of Eunha treating her nicely because of her background.

Dr. Yerin? SinB doesn’t like how it sounded. Don’t know why, but, she doesn’t like it. Yerin? The name has a nice ring to it, but it’s a bit awkward and unprofessional to save an attending name without Dr. in front of it. Someone might read accidentally see her phone if the surgeon calls her or text her for work-related stuff and people could misunderstand the nature of their relationship. Duckie! SinB’s lips curled into a smile while her fingers busy typing the name and saves the number on her phone. She knows it is nowhere near professional but she just loves the name. Duckie it is. 

The bus arrives, SinB hops on and takes a seat. She texted her two roommates who are lying lazily at home. Then she stares at her phone. She didn’t know why but she stares at the contact she just added a while ago. She rubs her temple, she doesn’t know why but everything that is related to the trauma surgeon never failed to baffle her. There is no icon of the widely used messaging app appears under Duckie’s phone number. Duckie or professionally known as Dr. Jung Yerin is not using any kind of messaging app, indicating the woman is only using the standard text messager that comes with all types of phone. Luckily the attending is using a smartphone and people can video call her instead of using the basic phone that their really old people used to use. Speaking of which, SinB has to admit that the woman looks handsome and quite impressive in a suit.

She could see how people could melt and falls for the monster Dr. Jung Yerin. This is all courtesy of Dr. Kim Sowon who suddenly came up to her and talk to her while she was video calling the other two attendings. SinB was puzzled as to why did she end up in the attendings’ conversation even though she had only met the pediatric surgeon three times and talked once during those instances, but she didn’t ask. She finds herself complimenting Dr. Eunha who was really pretty in the bridesmaid dress, expectedly, and Dr. Yerin who was dressed in a suit, unexpectedly. She couldn’t have misheard how unwanted the duck-loving trauma surgeon’s presence on that fitting session, so why was she in a suit has been boggling her mind.

The suit is the least that bothers her mind. She is actually thankful for that. At least, Dr. Jung Yerin has something that SinB is impressed by. How great she look in a suit. The thing that bothers her mind without her permission today is the closeness between Dr. Jung Yerin and her ex-girlfriend, Dr. Eunha. Yes, she never had a past lover of some sort but she had never seen her friends still being close with their exes. Most of the time, they avoided each other or just keep it civil if they happened to be in the same class or working together. She had never encountered two exes that are still close, hangs out together and shockingly, cares for each other.

For example, Dr. Eunha was going to her older sister’s wedding dress fitting and Dr. Yerin was accompanying her. Not only they hang out together, but they are more than comfortable being rather intimate with one another. SinB remembers clearly how the petite general surgeon caressing the trauma surgeon’s thigh, covering the trauma surgeon’s exposed pelvic area, slapping the thighs before zipping and buttoning back the trauma surgeon’s pants. Dr. Yerin had her ex-girlfriend’s hand on her lap for minutes and neither of them blushed nor flinched, like it doesn't even bother them. The two are really close, and this thing had been in her mind since the changing room incident. 

As everyone working at the hospital knows, Dr. Bae Irene is one of the women who had dated Dr. Yerin. She accidentally heard Dr. Kim Sowon reminding Dr. Yerin to call the OB/GYN surgeon because apparently Dr. Bae is worried about her. She also overheard Dr. Park, the third year resident telling his friends how nervous he was when he did the dressing for Dr. Yerin in the morning with Dr. Bae watching him like a hawk. As she was eavesdropping, suddenly Dr. Im Nayeon, a second-year intern taps the man’s shoulder, startling everyone at the table. The cute Dr. Nayeon then chuckles seeing the man turn pale because she caught him talking about Dr. Bae and she reassured him that her job is only keeping track of Dr. Yerin and reports to Dr. Bae. There are other people who report things about Dr. Bae to Dr. Kang and those are the one the man should be careful with.

The result of her eavesdropping, she got a confirmation on the nature of Dr. Yerin and Dr. Bae current relationship. They are still close and care for one another, just like how it is between Dr. Yerin and Dr. Eunha. This lead to her mind relentlessly thinks about it and getting her pumped out to ask Umji and Yuju about it once she got home since she is inexperienced in this topic.

”Dr. Jung Yerin was first best friend with Dr. Bae and Dr. Jung Eunha before they were lovers. Then, they went back to best friends after they broke up.”

Umji simply said that and Yuju second her. SinB stares blankly at the two as they acted casually like it is something normal. So she asks them is that how they are with their exes. The two exclaimed, ”hell no!”, and it makes SinB even more confused. SinB asks again why.

”Emm...one because I hate them since they cheated on me. Two...I hate them!” said Umji with hatred in her eyes.

”And we were never close before we dated. So, when it ends, it ends. We just keep it civil, no more, no less,” Yuju smiles at SinB while caressing Umji’s hand to calm her down.

”Then why did you say what they are doing is something normal?” SinB asks, still can’t understand it.

”Because you love them. You were best friends, then fall in love with them and luckily become lovers. And even if you fail romantically, you still love them as best friend and you are going to keep caring for them. Nothing can change that,” said Yuju earnestly like it comes from her heart while she looks at the back of Umji’s head lovingly. She sighs while smiling rather sadly.

SinB being observant smiles apologetically at Yuju. She could sense that Yuju is talking from her heart rather than describing it from a logical reasoning point of view. 

”Yeah. What Yuju said. They were lucky that their best friend loves them as much as they do and reciprocate their feelings... But then, they have to be really brave to risk their friendship when they first decide to confess.” Now it’s Umji who explains in the same tone as Yuju earlier.

”They believe in the strength of their love for each other. No matter what happened, I guess they come back to their love for their friend and continue caring for them just as they usually do,” Yuju responded.

SinB nods her head, beginning to understand how it is possible. And then she shakes her head, couldn’t believe how oblivious her two best friends are but decides not to meddle and hopes for the best for them. She might not know much about love but she could at least tell when someone is obviously in love with the person sitting a few feet away from them.