The apartment on the tenth floor

Unlucky

SinB and Yerin walk hand in hand to Yerin's apartment that is also SinB's by now, seeing how she always stay the night and hangs out there whether Yerin was there or not. Today is one of their lucky day for the couple because they have the same off day, on the same shift. Sometimes they do have the same off day but one of them is off for the night shift and the other one is for the morning shift, so they can only meet for only few hours. And all they do is catch up with each other over breakfast or brunch. Today is a special day when Yerin gets a two days off and SinB gets one and a half day off, because her next shift is night shift.

Considering this is a special and rare opportunity, one might think they have lined out activities to be done including going out for a date. Eerrkkk! Wrong! They have nothing planned except lazying around the house and eat whatever it is that they wanted to via delivery. First thing they will do once they reach home is jumping into bed, and that's about all the plans they have and in consensus. True enough, that is what they are doing. Yerin takes off her scrubs’ top and pants, leaving her in the t-shirt and a boxer she just put on before diving onto the bed. SinB follows suit but with a more proper attire, a t-shirt and sweat pants but only after washing her face first.

”What?” asks Sowon as quietly as she can to Eunha who is peeking into Yerin’s bedroom from the ajar door.

”They are sleeping,” says Eunha simply while backing up towards to the living room, dragging her girlfriend with her.

”So they caught you peeping on them?” asks Sowon.

”No. No. They are sound asleep. Sleeping. Not moving nor making any sound. They are sleeping,” says Eunha bewildered by what she just saw.

”Are they fighting?” asks Eunha when she doesn’t get a response from Sowon.

”Don’t know, let’s go then. They are probably tired, let’s not disturb them,” said Sowon as she gets up from the couch, walking towards the door.

Eunha is still speechless but follows it anyway. Just as Sowon is about to turn the door knob, the door swings open, revealing Irene on the other side of the door. All three of them are surprised with each other’s company, as anyone should be. 

“You too?” asks Sowon.

”Need a place to chill,” says Irene not moving from the door. 

“Are they here?” asks Irene.

Eunha nods her head and quietly mouthing the word sleeping to Irene that brings another shock to Irene. Irene then looks at Sowon disbelievingly who just nods her head, comforming her girlfriend’s statement.

”Is she sick?” asks Irene, still not moving an inch from where she was.

Sowon just shrugs her shoulder without a care in the world because for her, sleeping is not a big deal for her. Work is tiring and stressful enough that warrants them a good, long sleep. Apparently, the other two women don’t share the same thought when Irene steps into the apartment dragging Eunha with her. Irene walks straight to the bedroom where Yerin and SinB are with Eunha in tow. Just like Eunha, Irene peeks on the couple through the crack of the opened bedroom door. Of course she sees what Eunha saw not a few minutes ago. Similarly, the woman is bewildered. 

The two walk to the couch, slumping against the comfy cushion. Sowon lets out a sigh before following the two, taking a sit on the rocking chair opposite them. Eunha and Irene exchanging a questioning look with each other before spluttering question after question, guessing the reason why Yerin is sleeping.

”She is sleeping instead of doing ‘it’?” asks Irene in disbelief.

Eunha responds with an equally disbelieving nod. But before they can continue guessing the reason why Yerin is sleeping instead of having with her girlfriend, Sowon cuts their discussion short.

”So, I guess we are hanging out here. Might as well cook something. You two have something to talk about, I guess?” asks Sowon before standing up and leave for the kitchen.

**

”Yerin-ah...” calls SinB as quietly as she can but the woman doesn’t responds.

SinB woke up a moment ago to a sound coming from outside of the bedroom. She then slowly turned to see if Yerin was the one making the sound, but clearly she was not as the woman is sound asleep next to her, oblivious of what is happening. SinB calls her girlfriend’s name once again, adding a light shake to the woman’s shoulder. Yerin moves a bit, turns around and pulls her into an embrace without even opening her eyes. SinB calls Yerin again and now the woman responds by kissing her neck, trailing her fingers up towards SinB’s . SinB curses under her breath, her short breaths resulting from getting aroused by Yerin’s kisses and touches which she should not be doing right now when there’s an imminent danger that is separated from them by only the door. The door that is not locked. 

At the thought of someone could barge into the room and probably knock them dead while they are doing it, SinB musters all her courage to break away from Yerin. And her girlfriend’s skillfull hand that is alluringly grabbing her with a strong, yet assured grasp. SinB smacks Yerin’s hand and pulls away from the woman’s embrace, shocking Yerin a bit. 

"I think someone is breaking in," SinB whispers in Yerin's ears.

"Into my heart, you are,” says Yerin as she climbs on top of SinB.

”Stop it! I’m serious, Yerin. Listen, there are noises out there. Someone is in the house,” whispers SinB as she pushes Yerin off her.

”Huu, I’m scared!” says Yerin, side-hugging SinB tightly while pretending to shiver, yet still manage to leave a trail of kisses on her neck, one of her body parts that drive Yerin’s crazy.

”Are you seriously doing this now?” asks SinB, smacking Yerin on .

”Appa!!! That’s probably just mouse ransacking our food supplies. We’ve locked the door. Let’s just go back to bed, or continue this...?” 

Yerin’s suggestion was immediately turned down. SinB pushes Yerin off the bed and follows suit. She keeps pushing Yerin to move forward and stays close behind her. 

“Wait, are you going out with that boxer and singlet? Change into something more decent. What if the burglar sees you like this and decides to get on with you? Go and change into something less y,” instructs SinB, pulling Yerin towards the closet. 

Yerin sighs, thinking it’s a tad absurd but does what she was asked to. She puts on the first t-shirt and pants she sees in the closet. SinB does the same and they continue their quest. As they were about to go out of the room, they heard a loud bang and someone shushing immediately after that. This hits Yerin hard and the realisation starting to dawn on her. She keeps her left fist raised while her right hand is around SinB’s waist, keeping her girl close to her. She sets her foot slowly and carefully towards the kitchen after she checked out the living room is still intact, no sign of intruder. Yerin manages to take one of the superheroes figurine from the living room and takes with them to the kitchen where they believe the burglars are. 

Yerin’s steps immediately halted to a stop when her eyes met with three pairs of eyes in her kitchen. Her raised hand with the figurine lowers as she relaxes her whole body, caressing the back of SinB’s back to calm the woman down as well. SinB stands beside Yerin and is shocked with what she sees. Three people are standing in the kitchen, looking at them, also in shocked.

”Unnie? What are you guys doing here? You scared the hell out of us. I thought someone breaks in,” blabs SinB. 

Yerin on the other hand, sits on the stool at the kitchen island and starts picking food off Irene’s plate. She is starving, so food is more interesting than watching SinB giving her friends a beating over the unnoticed drop by and messing the kitchen just now. Yerin keeps stuffing with food as she watches her lovely fierce girlfriend giving a full length lecture on why is it dangerous to stop by her house without prior notice until she is pulled into the lecture for not believing SinB when she said there was people in the apartment.

"Sorry SinB, but...this is the place we hang out when for all occasions. It has been that way since we were in med school. This is where we are happy, sad, bored, going crazy, when we needed a place to chill because we are having a war at home with our girlfriend and beloved family," says Sowon as she gives Irene a sly leer after miserably fail to cut off SinB's lecture a few times.

"Well, can't you unnies find a new place to hang out?" asks SinB, who is now eyeing Yerin to back her up.

"We tried that. We went to my place, but it's out of everyone's way and it's going to take us some time to get to the hospital. We can't go to Irene's because of that always angry girlfriend of hers. And this apartment on the tenth floor is the perfect one for us to hang out. We can look out the window, the air is breezy, it's near the hospital, walking distance to all sorts of delicious restaurants. It helps us healing... there's something about this apartment that is magical," Sowon, somehow still defending their action when she was the one urging everyone to leave the apartment in the first place. She loves this apartment, it has seen everything, it kept a whole bunch of secrets between them four, five, counting in SinB.

"Speaking of restaurants, and by the look of that pasta you guys cooked are happily resting on the floor,  let's go out for dinner, shall we?" suggests Yerin, not wanting to drag SinB's lecture.

"Yeah! Let's go." 

Everyone is cheering happily and starts moving out of the kitchen except for SinB. 

"Aren't you three unnies forgetting something?" asks SinB, glaring at Sowon, Irene and Eunha.

The three attendings smile sheepishly and clean up the mess they made while SinB and Yerin get dress for dinner. Five of them happily leave the apartment after fifteen minutes, discussing which restaurants should they go. SinB has grew closer and comfortable around the women also chipped in the discussion, standing by her choice of restaurant that happens to be the same as Irene's choice against Yerin's and the Sowon-Eunha couple's choice. The three teams present their own case along the lift's ride until its stop at the sixth floor. Yuju and Umji both smile at them and get on the lift.

"Good evening, doctors," Umji greets everyone in the lift, while shooting a questioning look at SinB.

"Umji-ssi, you don't have to call us that. You can just call us unnie, we are not at work. Are you going for dinner?" asks Sowon, warmly smiling at them.

"Ahh, okay. Yes, we are going out for dinner. Where did you all come from? SinB?" asks Umji.

"My unit is on the tenth floor," Yerin answers casually.

"You too, SinB?" asks Yuju, confusedly.

"Emm...I did come from the tenth floor. I mean not with them, with them, we met here when we were waiting for the lift. I was on the tenth floor. I was taking a breath, from the tenth floor, not from Yerin unnie's apartment though. Just stand at the corridor, you can see a great view up there, and the air is fresher. I don't always go there, that was the first time, maybe the one and only time I will be going there," SinB lies elaborately, stuttering once in a while. 

SinB can see that Yerin and her friends who know the truth are holding in their laughter when she told an elaborate lie just now while Umji is looking at her like she doesn't believe any of the word she just said and Yuju seems lost as usual. But, she acts cool and to distract the attention from her, SinB asks her best friends where are they heading to and suggests to the other unnies to tag along with them. Luckily, everyone just agrees.

**
"We probably should go up the tenth floor after this, Umji-ya," Yuju suddenly blurts out a suggestion that no one sees coming in the middle of surgeons guessing of the ingredients and how to cook the chinese dishes they are enjoying right now.

Yuju's suggestion manage to get everyone to stop guessing and stares at her. She just smiles and repeats her suggestion, adding her reasoning of why they should do it and even invites everyone else besides Umji, the one she first suggested the idea to. 

"Yes, sure. Let us all go up to the tenth floor after this." Yerin smiles and continues eating before chocking, resulted from being punch on the thigh by her girlfriend. 

"Can you please eat properly, Yerin," says Irene as she gives her ex-girlfriend's a glass of water. Yerin chugging the water without saying a word or even looking at SinB who is glaring at her.

As suggested by Yuju, and surprisingly everyone including Sowon, Eunha and Irene who are not living in the apartment building tag along on Yuju's expedition of the tenth floor. True to SinB's lies earlier, the view of the city from the tenth floor is amazing, and for the first time for the seven of them, they just realised that the air really is fresher up there.

"I never knew how breathtaking the view is from up here," comments Eunha as she takes a deep breath, looking afar from the corridor. 

"I know right? After all these years we've been living here, we never take a breather and enjoy this view. We really should take some time off work and rest, appreciate nature more," says Sowon, that comes as as surprise for Yuju and Umji whom never heard the paediatric surgeon said something non-work related. It is not a surprise for the rest of them as Sowon turns out to be a poetic, nature-loving person despite her serious look.

They enjoy the serene view and quiet night, a scene that they rarely get to enjoy because of the line of work they are in. A quiet hospital is just not right, and the time everyone should be wary of because if it's too quiet, it means there is something wrong or something big is about to hit them. A chaos is a normal scene for them. Taking in the view and the fresh air, Yerin tries to hold SinB's hand in hers but was denied by SinB. SinB moves a bit from Yerin and stays close to Umji and Yuju. She signs Yerin not to act that way with both her friends are here with them and Yerin just smiles knowingly. She understands that SinB wants to keep their relationship off her friends' knowledge. With that, they stay there enjoying the relaxing view for almost an hour before SinB goes home with her roomates, leaving Yerin and everyone else going back to Yerin's apartment unit.

"Spend the night here, everyone?" asks Yerin and everyone just nods their head before going to their own respective places. Sowon and Eunha retire to Sowon's old room, Irene to Yerin's bedroom while Yerin throws herself on the couch in the living room. Fifteen minutes later, Irene comes out of the master bedroom with a blanket and lies down on the other couch.

"Do you want to talk about it?" asks Yerin after a few minutes of silence.

"I don't know what else to do. She cast your shadow on her, and it's... difficult for me, for her especially," Irene sighs as she stares at the ceiling.

"Do you want me to talk to her about it?" asks Yerin.

"I don't think it's going to help. Do you think maybe I should just end it?" 

Yerin lies on her chest, proping her head on her hand and stares at Irene in the dark, asking her ex-girlfriend, "is it going to make you happy?".

"I don't know. I don't think so, but I am not happy right now. I don't need to be with your shadow," for the nth time, Irene sighs again, the longest one in the past few minutes.

"Do you still sleep out here?" asks Irene, trying not to think about her problems with Seulgi.

"When I am by myself, most of the time." 

"Do you still see us in there?"

"Yes," answers Yerin, closing her eyes.

****