Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner.

Unlucky

”Good morning, baby,” Yuju kisses the top of the woman’s head that is resting on her chest. The woman moves a bit before tightening her arm that is wrapping Yuju’s body. Yuju smiles and kisses the same spot again and again while the woman’s shoulder.

”Uhmm... let me sleep a bit longer, it’s Saturday,” the woman whines.

”Thank you for last night, Umji...” said Yuju in between kissing Umji’s head.

”Thank. You. And let me sleep just a little bit more. I didn’t get much sleep last night, thanks to you,” Umji snuggles closer.

”Well...that was late night supper. How about we have a quick breakfast?” suggested Yuju as she her legs up and down Umji’s.

Yes. They have been together for a few weeks now. It started when they were drunk the night of the interns’ dinner. They had that night but they didn’t talk about it after that, pretending like it never happened. Then, Yuju who has a crush on Umji since the second year of medical school mustered all her courage and confessed her feelings to Umji.

They didn’t hit it off right after that, Umji distant herself for a few days, saying that she needed to think about it first. Umji admitted that she likes her too when she confessed, but Umji wasn’t sure if she wanted them to be a couple or just continue being friends. Honestly, she also had the same reservation, but then when they made love that night, Yuju was certain that she didn’t want to be just friend anymore. She wanted to realise her dream of being together with Umji, the only woman she ever fell in love with. When she pleasured Umji that night with all the love and care she had, she knew she always wants to be the one who protects and gives Umji all the happiness the woman deserves in the world.

Yuju chose not to talk about the ual she and Umji had for a few days after that because she didn’t want the woman to misunderstand her intention being tied to that physical activity. She wanted to confess her love for Umji, free from any other factor other than her true feelings for Umji. Plus, she knew Umji is a smart, calculated person that she will ask tonnes of question regarding her feelings and their relationship, so she thought about it long and hard and came out with a list of answers.

And as expected, Umji did ask her series of questions that include the label of their relationship, their roles in the relationship, the effect of the relationship to their work, the status of their relationship, and even what would it be if one day their relationship comes to an end.

Yuju also expected that Umji will ask for some time to think about it although she answered most of her questions. She understands the reason and didn’t press the woman about it when Umji distant herself for a few days. Yuju just hoped that Umji’s answer would not be too devastated for her.

Then, the wait ended and Umji came to a decision. Umji accepted her. Umji reciprocated to her feelings. Umji willingly enters a relationship with her. And as for now, they are the only one who knows their newly built romance. Umji asked her not to tell anyone about them and Yuju didn’t think much about it because it is not a big deal, until last night.

Last night was the second time they engaged in ual with SinB is in the next room. Since Umji doesn’t want the sounds of them getting pleasured to travel next door, she had to minimise her movement and it somehow frustrated her to an extent. She enjoys pleasuring her girlfriend to her peak euphoria, so when she had to control herself, she thinks it’s best for them to tell SinB the truth.

Yuju has been secretly imagining the things she and Umji would do, not the decent friends bonding activities, the more than a friend types of activities for years, and she fully intends to realise it now that they are together. But with the sound limit restriction, she couldn’t. It is bad enough that she couldn’t have as often as they wanted to because their shifts sometimes clashed, and when they have time, they are too tired that they fell asleep during the . Now, when they both have the weekends off, instead of staying up all night making a memorable ic mess with each other’s body, they have to quiet down just so SinB wouldn’t hear them.

She entices her girlfriend for a morning session relentlessly. Yuju keeps her legs against Umji’s, ing her hips lightly towards Umji’s behind and breathing on the woman’s neck. Her hand travels under Umji’s t-shirt, tracing her fingers on the woman’s skin from her stomach all the way up to Umji’s chest. Yuju could feel Umji’s body getting tensed with every movement of her fingers and her lips curved into a satisfied smile.

Yuju grabs her girlfriend’s plump bulge on the chest and squeezes it roughly causing a small moan to escape Umji’s mouth. Yuju could feel Umji’s breath is getting heavier with her every grabs and squeezes. She continues moving her hand and fingers, alternating between a soft squeeze, grab and squeeze, and grab, pull and squeeze. Their bodies move to complement each other and with that, their morning session just started.

”Yu-ju, we need to keep it dow- uhm...hmmph...”

”I’ll t-t-try...aahh...uhmp...j-j-ji...”

And before they know it, they lost control of themselves. The session is getting intense and  they are both panting, squeezing, scratching, grinding, and half-screaming each other’s name.

**

SinB reaches for her phone under the pillow to see the time. It is still too early. She stares at the ceiling and takes a quick glance at the wall hoping that it will not fall over her due to all the bangings. SinB lets out a soft chuckle, closing her eyes, trying to go back to sleep but she couldn’t. SinB sighs. She barely slept last night because of the banging, squeaking and half-screaming noises coming from the room next to her.

At first she couldn’t make out what caused the noises but after a while she realised what it was. Surely, Umji and Yuju didn’t scream or moan loudly, but it was still audible. And, the bed squeaks, it moves and probably the headboard banging on the wall in a rhythmic manner serve as an indication to SinB of what was going on next door. She might be single with no experience, but she is not as oblivious, she did have a few friends whom she watched a few rated videos with.

SinB shakes her head, not disapproving what they were doing, rather finding it funny at the thought that the two really should learn the art of whispering. SinB overheard their supposedly whisper reminding each other to keep the sound to a minimal so she wouldn’t hear them. If they failed at whispering, clearly their aim of keeping it down was and is still not a success.

SinB chuckles as she facepalming herself because she is no better than them, certainly she would hear them when she keeps her head glued to the wall. She too needs to learn the art of not eavesdropping her best friends’ making out, no, judging by the sound, more of ic expeditions. SinB closes her eyes again and her mind immediately wonders if she and Yerin will be doing the same thing one day. A bunch of questions badgers her mind.

Are they going to have when Yerin and she are officially together? Is Yerin a good kisser? Is she a good kisser? Can she even do it? She has no actual experience other than what she watched online for like...three times. How would Yerin make love to her? Is it going to be rough? Is it going to be gentle? Is she going to scream like her two best friends? Are they going to be a mess like those two? Which one would Yerin prefer and which one would she prefer? Will they be doing it in here or in Yerin’s apartment? She doesn’t think she is ready, is it okay with Yerin if she doesn’t want to have ?

Wait, why am I even thinking about all these things? I’m not together with Yerin. I don’t think I can nor should I be with her. But, I think I already fall in love with her. Haih...

SinB shakes her head roughly to get the image of Yerin and her in bed out of her mind. She slaps her cheeks a couple of times and forces herself to open her eyes so she wouldn’t continue imagining things. It doesn’t help much when she could still hear two people in a hot mess next door. SinB sits up and scoots over to the edge of the bed while taking her phone from under the pillow. She sits by the edge of the bed and smiles as this one particular thought crosses her mind.

It is nice to sleep in someone’s arm and getting woken up with a kiss or even a simple, lovely, soft whispers of a ’good morning beautiful’ in my ears...in a low, husky voice.

SinB smiles and sighs. ’Good morning beautiful’ phrase is a clear indication that she is not thinking about a random someone but specifically Yerin because it is the same phrase she wakes up to in the morning via text message. And right now, the text still hasn’t arrived yet when usually it is already there in her text message’s inbox. The in the next room is getting louder and messier, so SinB decides to leave her room and be somewhere where she couldn’t hear the competition.

SinB heads to the kitchen. She sits at the kitchen counter thinking of what should she eat for breakfast with her phone in hand. As she thinks about what would fulfil her empty stomach, her phone buzzes. SinB takes a look at the name appears on the screen and automatically her lips curled into a smile. She taps on the green phone icon to answer the call. 

Yerin: Good morning beautiful. Are you already up or did I just wake you up with my call?

SinB: If I say I was peacefully sleeping just now, what are you going to do?

Yerin: Ahh... I would say, it’s time for your sweet dream to come true, honey. I’m here and this is not a dream.

SinB: Ekkk! Not in my wildest dream, Duckie.

Yerin: I am not normally wild, jagiya. So, it’s okay. 

SinB: I am ignoring that. So, why are you calling me in the morning? And what is that noise? Where are you?

Yerin: I can be wild if you want me to? Haha. I’m in the car, driving home from the hospital, that’s why I’m calling you instead of texting.

SinB: You are working? Didn’t you say you were home last night?

Yerin: I was at home. They called me for an emergency a few hours ago. And then Tzuyu asked me to sign and finish some of the reports.

SinB: Ah, Tzuyu...your office wife. 

SinB rolls her eyes thinking about the tall, slim, small-faced, pretty nurse who is shy with everyone else except Yerin. She seems like she has no ounce of shy when she interacted with Yerin and SinB is not the only one who noticed that but the whole hospital do. And, she was not the one came up with the nickname, she was introduced to Tzuyu by her senior with that nickname.

Yerin: My office wife?

Once again, SinB rolls her eyes and sighs inwardly hearing Yerin feign ignorance of the nickname. 

SinB: Yeah. Your office wife. She takes care of everything for you in the hospital, didn’t she? The reports, students’ evaluation, etc. You have your office wife taking care of you at work. You have your housewives - Eunha unnie and Irene unnie to take care of your home. Em...

Yerin: Uh? I didn’t realise I have so many wives. Wow! But...I still don't have you as my wife. I want you to be my one and only wife.

SinB: ...

Yerin: SinB? Yeoboseyo? Are you still there? Did you fall back to sleep?

SinB: Yeah, yeah, I’m still here. I don’t think you should propose to someone via a phone call. Is this the reason you are calling me? 

Yerin: No. I will propose to you in the most romantic and memorable way for you. I want to ask what do you want for breakfast? I can grab them for you or we can go out for breakfast together...

SinB: What are you planning to have?

Yerin: Don’t know. Up to you.

SinB: Make your decision. And I’m too lazy to get dressed and put on makeup, so can you just grab me whatever you are eating?

Yerin: SinB, you are the most beautiful and the perfect woman for me. You don’t have to do all that, we can just go-

SinB: Others might not think that. And I am not. Can you just grab me something, please...?

Yerin: Can I get a kiss if I say yes?

SinB: No. 

Yerin: A hug?

SinB: No.

Yerin: So, what’s in it for me?

SinB: I don’t know...at least you could meet me other than our lunch today?

Yerin: Alright! Wait for me, I’ll get us some breakfast and we’ll eat together. I love you. Bye.

SinB: Wait, no. Hello? Duckie? Yerin? Jung. Yerin? Did she just hang up on me?!

SinB looks at the phone and Yerin had disconnected the call. She was not planning to eat with Yerin, she thought she could just get the food and eats it here while watching TV, hopefully not while listening to an show from the master bedroom. But, of all the times they talk, this is the fastest Yerin ended the call when she usually lingers around, talking about random things. Yerin talking...

SinB can feel her cheeks are burning up and her heart is pounding hard. Yerin’s words keep ringing in her ears and every time, her smiles getting wider, her cheeks getting hotter and she can’t help but feels happier. What Yerin said was indeed cheesy but no one ever said something that sweet to her and surely anyone hearing those words would be melting just like her.

SinB got lost in her thought, that was inadvertently about Yerin, the two of them, occasionally alternating with -natured things, courtesy of the loud of Yuju and Umji. They must have forgotten the need of keeping it down so she wouldn’t hear them. And thanks to the mess, SinB’s imagination runs wild that a soft moan manages to escape unintentionally causing her to turn into an overly ripe tomato.

Ting! The sound of the new text message she received brings SinB out of her reverie.

Duckie: Your place or mine?

SinB reads the text over and over again while deciding. Yet again, thanks to Yumji, oh yes, she made a nickname for the couple, the sound that they are currently projecting all over the apartment making SinB decides that no one other than her should be listening to that. She quickly types ’ I’ll meet you upstairs’ before hitting the send button and make her way to the bathroom to wash up. SinB thought even if she is not going to get dress or put on a makeup, she should at least wash her face and brush her teeth. 

”Hey beautiful.”

”Oh my! What. Are. You. Doing. Here? I could’ve died of heart attack!” SinB screams in shocked, smacking the grinning Yerin upon seeing her startled. 

”Getting my wife, who apparently gets easily startled,” Yerin said as she smiles at SinB. Her eyes are glued to the younger woman’s bare face.

SinB notices that Yerin is staring at her and she begins to touch her face, wiping any possible smudges on her face. SinB even opens the camera app and examine her face when Yerin keeps staring at her.

”Do I have something on my face? Why are you staring? Is my bare face that ugly?”

”You. Are. So. Beautiful. There’s only perfection on your face,” Yerin said in all honesty as she looks intently at every inch of SinB’s face causing the already pinkish cheeks turn to red.

”I’m hungry, let’s go, Duckie!” SinB grabs Yerin’s hand and drags her to the lift. She keeps walking straight, not once looking back at Yerin because she knows how red she is right now due to Yerin’s unexpected praises.

**

SinB and Yerin arrive in front of the latter’s unit on the tenth floor with SinB still holding Yerin’s hand. They both stand in front of the door as if it will automatically open with them standing there. SinB turns to her side and looks at Yerin who she thinks supposed to unlock the door for them because it’s her house. Understanding the meaning of SinB’s gaze, Yerin says, ”you know the code, both my hands are occupied.”

SinB was about to rebut, but then she realised that she is still holding Yerin’s right hand while the older woman’s left hand is carrying their breakfast. SinB quickly releases the woman’s hand and steps aside, distancing herself from Yerin. Yerin pouts her lips and just stands there, demonstrating her disapproval with what SinB just did. 

”Aren’t you going to key in the code or are we going to just stand here?” SinB asks.

”No. Probably,” said Yerin, continues sulking.

SinB sighs and key in the code, knowing well that Yerin meant every single word she said. They might end up standing in front of the door for hours if she decided not to give in to Yerin’s childish fit of sulk. After the beeping sound, Yerin opens the door to her apartment’s unit and lead SinB in. Yerin puts the plastic bag on the kitchen’s island, SinB follows the woman closely and sits on the bar stool at the kitchen island. SinB takes out the takeaway container while Yerin gets them water.

”Which one is yours?” SinB asks as she lifts up the food container, examining its content that is different than the other one.

”Anything is fine,” said Yerin, placing the water on the kitchen island, then hops on the stool on the other side of the island from SinB.

”Four?!” SinB asks and Yerin just hums in response.

Yerin sits there waiting for SinB to choose among the food she bought for them. She bought extra for SinB’s roommates as well, and everything she bought was the dishes that she thinks delicious.

”Why?” SinB asks, still examining the food.

”For your roommates too,” Yerin answers, staring at the food container intently. She is super hungry but she doesn’t want to urge SinB to make up her mind quickly because she sure that she will get scolded if she does when she was the one giving her the job of choosing them.

”Why? I didn’t ask you to,” SinB asks again.

Yerin sighs inwardly. Her stomach is growling but she powers through and still engage with SinB’s question that seems like it will never end.

”Because I love you, jagiya,” Yerin answers and drinks the water to fill up her hungry stomach. She plops her head weakly on her arm that she rested across the kitchen island. Yerin mumbles to her growling stomach, ”wait a minute baby, our jagiya is choosing...”

SinB clearly heard what Yerin mumbles to her stomach and grunts. She places the food container she currently has in her hand in front of Yerin, ”there, eat.”

Yerin lifts her head, smiling, beaming with happiness. 

”Don’t ask me to choose if you are too hungry and can’t wait,” SinB grunts before settling on one of the western breakfast set Yerin bought.

”See, baby, I told you to wait. You make our jagiya mad. Say sorry to our jagiya,” Yerin said to her stomach.

”Don’t.” SinB said sternly, pointing the fork in her hand at Yerin’s stomach that is already being pinch and ready to be wiggled as if it is the one talking. Yerin always did that and she is really cute when she does which right now SinB can’t stand to look at. 

Yerin pouts, ”are you that mad, jagiya?”

”Don’t call me that...”

”Why? You don’t like it? How about Yeobo? Honey? Darling? Sweety? What do you want me to call you, Bi?” 

SinB stops eating. Her lips twitch as she tries hard not to smile. That name - Bi. It sounded so sweet when Yerin said it in a tone full of love. She loves it when Yerin calls her that. There are a few people call her that way sometimes, but it sounded right and full of love when Yerin says it. 

”That. My name. Can you just call me that?” SinB asks. Yerin has a frown on her forehead but her lips still curved into a smile.

”Bi?” SinB nods shyly. 

”Okay. Bi, do you want to have a taste of this?” Yerin asks. 

SinB looks up from her food and stares quizzically at Yerin. The woman just smiles as she puts down the chopsticks in her hand, looking at her while waiting for her answer. 

”Why? Do you want mine?” SinB asks, wondering why Yerin always asks her that question whenever they eat together.

”Because everything that is mine is yours too. If you let me have yours, I can get a taste if you don’t mind?” Yerin said with a smile, pushing the container in front of her to SinB.

”And what’s mine is yours too?” SinB asks.

Yerin shakes her head. ”Aniya, what’s yours is yours. What’s mine is yours.”

SinB’s cheeks reddened, but, instead of looking away, she engages in a staring contest with Yerin. She is melting right now. The woman in front of her who is looking right through her this instance is making her fall in love with her. The crescent-shaped eye smile, the sweet smile has been making her heart flutters, her determination falters and the result is her heart is now always yearning for Yerin’s love. SinB could see Yerin’s eyes moving back and forth from her eyes and her lips, just like hers. Yerin leans closer and the tip of her nose almost touches hers. Yerin stops and stares at her before asking her, ”may I?” 

SinB perfectly understands what is the question and Yerin’s action implied, and she shares the same desire. However, her lips move and the word ’no’ comes out. Yes, no. Not a typo, it’s a no. Clear as the sky after heavy rain, the word comes out of . The word surprises them both. Yerin is still staring at SinB, blinking her eyes rapidly in disbelief, so SinB thought it would be less awkward if she justifies the answer that she also dumbfounded with.

”I want my first kiss when I’m in a relationship with someone,” SinB said, shocking herself yet again with words that could come out of .

”Ah, yes. Okay. Let’s eat,” Yerin said as she picks up the chopsticks back and continues eating her food. SinB smiles flatly and follows suit. 

**

”You went out for breakfast?” Umji asks as soon as SinB walks into the apartment with a plastic bag filled with food containers.

”Here’s breakfast for you guys,” SinB said as she puts the plastic bag o the table and goes straight to her room. She doesn’t want to answer questions that Umji has for her.

SinB throws herself on the bed. She stares at the ceiling and sighs. What happened in Yerin’s house replays in her mind. She admits that she also wants to kiss Yerin and although it was not a perfect moment but it is not that bad. However. However, she can’t bring herself to do it. There’s something in her stopping her from doing it. Perhaps her self-conscious of not wanting to give Yerin a false hope. SinB heaves a sigh. She shakes her head rapidly trying to get it out of her mind. She tries to think about something else. 

Clothes. Yes. Let’s choose what to wear and not think about the kiss that I missed.

SinB gets up from her bed and stands in front of her wardrobe, staring at the clothes hanging. There are a range of blouses, shirts, dresses and skirts that she can choose from, still she thinks she doesn’t have anything to wear. She wants to wear something comfy because after their lunch date, she is going back to her parents’. As she chooses among the shirts she had ironed and hanged, what Eunha and Irene said to her yesterday ringing in her ears.

The two women asked her if she needs them to help dress Yerin for their date. Surely she politely declined the offer saying that it won’t be needed since it is not a date, they are just going out for lunch; and because she doesn’t think Yerin needs it. 

”Just make sure she doesn’t wear her tracksuit, especially the yellow one.” 

SinB thinks back on what Irene said to her yesterday. All of the sudden, a cold shiver runs through SinB’s spine. She once saw that three-lined branded bright yellow tracksuit. Yerin wore them proudly when she came to the hospital to pick her up after work. And, Yerin didn’t have any problem to go out for dinner in those bright yellow clothes but she fervently convinced Yerin that she didn’t want to eat and needed to rest at home although she is starving. She rather starves than go out with that yellow being.

The realisation dawned upon SinB that Yerin really need someone to style her or she will just wear whatever it is that comfortable for her. She now understands why Eunha and Irene care a lot about Yerin’s clothes and home. SinB quickly grabs her phone and dials Yerin’s number. The woman answers after only one ring.

”Emm...” Yerin hums happily.

”What are you doing?” SinB asks.

”Getting ready for our date,” Yerin answers.

”Don’t move. Don’t do anything. I’ll come up.”

”Huh? O-kay?” Yerin said unsurely. SinB ends the call immediately. 

SinB gets her towel and goes to the bathroom for a shower. She puts on her black shirt and skinny jeans, applies some light makeup and pulls her hair into a ponytail before leaving for Yerin’s apartment. All in all, she took about 45 minutes to get ready. SinB rings the bell but didn’t wait for Yerin to get the door, she keys in the code and let herself in. 

”Whaaaat?” SinB screams in shock upon seeing the woman sleeping on the couch wearing only a towel and a t-shirt.

Yerin rubs her eyes and whines like a child whose nap being disturbed. She air-kicking while tossing her body right and left but immediately stop when she finds out the person disturbing her sleep. Instantly, her lips curled into the widest and happiest grin. 

”Why are you like this?” SinB asks, staring at the woman.

”Bi, you told me not to move or do anything. Sorry, I fell asleep...” Yerin bites her bottom lip showing a guilty expression.

”Were you wearing this when I called you earlier?” SinB asks and Yerin nods.

SinB sighs. She just shakes her head. This woman really listens to me well. SinB then asks Yerin which one is her room and the woman leads her there before plopping down on the bed while she explores the wardrobe. The wardrobe is neatly arranged with shirts, blouses and dresses that are already ironed hanged in the wardrobe while the t-shirts and pants are stacked neatly at the side. SinB couldn’t help but feel a pang of jealousy creeping inside her heart upon seeing the neatly arranged wardrobe as she knew it was not entirely Yerin’s doing, probably most of them are Irene’s doing. She was about to throw a fit as the feeling enveloping her, but then she gets ahold of herself and starts flipping through the clothes. SinB settled with a dark grey shirt and a pair of jeans for Yerin.

She deliberately didn’t choose a dress to complement her style, instead, she chose the same style - shirt and jeans. This is so Yerin wouldn’t think their lunch is a date-date. Although the chances of getting the point across to Yerin is somewhat slim, she still tries to. Try as she might, SinB knows that Yerin would still treat their lunch as a date. 

”Let’s go. Uh, and where are we going, Bi? Do you want to go straight to lunch or do you want to go shopping first?” Yerin asks as they leave the apartment.

SinB just shrugs her shoulder. She is determined not to cave in this time. She doesn’t want to be the one who decides. 

”Where’s your parents’ house?” Yerin asks and SinB just stares at the woman questioningly. 

”I think it would be more convenient if we go somewhere nearby your parents’ house. We wouldn’t be stuck in traffic and arrive late at your parents’,” Yerin explains the reason for her question.

”It’s not like I have an appointment with my mom and dad. But, I do like a restaurant in the mall near our house.” Huh, so much for not deciding, SinB. 

”Okay then, let’s go there,” Yerin smiles while taking SinB’s hand in hers and walk towards the lift. SinB didn’t try to avoid nor try to untangle their hands.

**

Ting!

SinB reads the new text message she received. Just her mother confirming with her if she is coming home tonight. SinB types her reply and hit send. Then a new message comes in. 

Mom: Don’t be late, we are having people over.

SinB’s brows furrow when she reads the text from her mother. She wasn’t told about the special dinner and to be honest, she really hope it’s not what she thinks it is. 

SinB: Who’s coming over for dinner?

Mom: Your father’s friend. Your uncle.

Mom: And of course, Jackson. I’ll ask Jackson to pick you up.

”Hello, mom?” SinB immediately calls her mother as soon as she reads the last message.

”Mom, you don’t have to. I’m already out. With my friend. No, no. I’ll go back home myself. No, my friend will drive me home. Yes, mom, I am not going to invite my friend to have dinner together. Yes, she is beside me. Yes, she should be able to hear me. Okay, mom. I love you too. Bye. Yes, mom. I won’t be late.” 

SinB stares at her phone, feeling a little devastated and defeated. Just when she decided to follow her heart’s desire, her mother will remind her of the reason she couldn’t. Her determination to let Yerin in her heart, in her life, ignoring her family’s set up, pairing her with Jackson. But her mother never fails to remind her about it and every time, her determination falters. She succumbs to her family’s plan and aspiration.

”Bi, are you hungry?” Yerin asks.

Oh man! It sounded so nice and lovely when you say my name like that, Duckie. SinB shakes her head slowly. 

”Oh, okay then. Let’s go around first, then we’ll go and have lunch. Okay?” Yerin said and wait for SinB to agree with her.

Haih... You are way more appealing when you are like this, Duckie. Oh my heart...bear with me please.

”Okay.”

Immediately, Yerin stretches out her hand to SinB. SinB looks at it, contemplating whether to take it or not. 

”I should get something for your mother,” said Yerin as she retracts her hand back and starts walking.

”Huh? No. No, you don’t have to,” SinB said, cursing herself internally for hurting Yerin by not taking her hand. It is clearly shown from the woman’s face that she is, just like what SinB is feeling right now.

”Oh? Well, can I at least buy some fruits for your parents? You are having a family dinner tonight,” Yerin said, in a voice slightly lower than before.

”Yes.”

***

Umji takes Yuju’s hand and drags her girlfriend towards a restaurant, ignoring what Yuju currently doing and her screaming. She thought she saw someone she knew and she can’t believe who that someone is with. Umji’s eyes nearly jumped out of the sockets when she first saw the two, walking with their hand tangled with one another.

”Umji, where are we going? Are you okay?” Yuju asks while being dragged like a mannequin.

”I saw someone I know, someone you know,” Umji said as she fastened her pace, still dragging Yuju with her.

”So are we running away from them or running towards them? Umji, honey, can we stop a bit?” 

Yuju bumps into Umji who immediately stops. She swears her girlfriend is being weird right now. She did ask for them to stop but she didn’t mean that they should stop immediately.

”Baby?” Yuju asks as Umji lets go of her hand, she stops dragging her and just gently holds her hand as they enter a restaurant, following a woman who she assumes the hostess of the restaurant.

”Umji? Baby? Are you okay?” Yuju asks, still confused with what just happened in the past few minutes. Umji just responds with a sigh while her finger is pointing in a direction of a table not far from them.

Yuju looks at the direction and her eyes widen and mouth agape as soon as her eyes see what Umji is seeing. She blinks her eyes, rubs them and blinks them again repeatedly. Then she smiles while Umji still looks devastated with it.

”Why are you sad? Now, we don’t have to worry about keeping us a secret or worry that she might not accept us,” Yuju caresses Umji’s hand tenderly.

Umji sighs, forcing a smile but shaking her head. She can’t tell Yuju the reason why she is shocked by what they are looking at now, she has promised to keep it from other people. It is only for her and the woman to know. 

”Why the long sigh? Don’t tell me you have a feeling for one of them? Or both of them?” Yuju asks seriously. 

”Hey! No. Not that. Didn’t we tell her not to fall for that particular person? Just why would it be Yerin?” Umji sighs for the nth time.

”C’mon, they are just having lunch together. They sometimes have lunch together in the hospital, so, it’s probably nothing. It’s not like they are together...” Yuju tries to console her worried girlfriend.

”They were holding hands,” Umji rebuts.

”Probably one of them is falling, so she holds her hand to avoid it...” said Yuju. Umji shakes her head, denying Yuju’s claim.

”Hey, look at me. Let’s order something and not let them ruin our date. Okay? I’m sure SinB just go out for lunch with Dr. Yerin. She already has Jackson, that man is quite a catch,” Yuju exclaims.

Umji immediately looks up and glares at Yuju. She is sure she didn’t hear her wrong. The woman who is her girlfriend is talking about another man being a catch in front of her when they are just together for a couple of weeks. They were both new in this kind of relationship and the woman just talk about a man.

She is not someone who gets jealous easily but it is like an unspoken rule that in the first phase of any relationship, we shouldn’t talk about other people that might or have the potential to be our partner. Umji keeps staring at Yuju who doesn’t seems to have a clue what she just did and she doesn’t have any intention to tell her. She wants Yuju to figure it out herself.

”Did I do something? Don’t stare at me like that, it’s scary...” Yuju asks.

”Please know that I am capable of being a scary woman. And do you really just say Jackson is a catch? To me?” said Umji not beating an eye.

”Mian, I’m sorry honey. You know you are the only one for me. No one can beat you. I love you, Umji,” Yuju caresses Umji’s hands on the table.

”No, I do not know that. I just know you said Jackson is a catch.” Umji retracts her hand, looking bitter.

Yuju apologises repeatedly while making funny faces, trying to make Umji laugh and forgive her honest mistake. She didn’t take Umji a jealous person and she knows Umji is not jealous, rather it was something that she shouldn’t say to her new girlfriend. She used to be able to say things like that when they were only best friends. But, it changes now, they are together as a couple, so she needs to be more sensitive. 

The two get lost in their own world, bantering over a man they only met once and know about from the man himself. SinB never talks about him nor mention about him. Umji and Yuju stop fighting for a moment when the waitress takes their orders. Yuju steals a few kisses on Umji’s hands and cheeks although the majority of times, Umji avoids her. Yuju does not get discouraged by Umji’s avoidance because she clearly sees how red the woman’s face and the shy smiles.

”C’mon, you know you love me and can’t stand to be mad at this face...” said Yuju as she looks at Umji with her puppy eyes and pouting lips. Umji just shakes her head and in a beat, she claims Yuju’s lips.

***

”What fruits do your parents like?” Yerin asks as she reads the menu.

”I think they eat everything,” SinB answers, eyes fixed on the menu just like Yerin.

”Uh, and I think I’ll buy some desserts for your mother too. I think they are good, we passed a bakery back there. Did you notice it? Unless your parents have a strict policy of no store bought desserts?” said Yerin.

”Huh? Is there such a thing?” SinB looks up, staring at Yerin.

”Emm...If your mother is one? Then, it will be the first for me,” Yerin shrugs her shoulder and smiles.

SinB laughs heartily. She finds it amusing that Yerin could think that way. Her mother cooks but she is not that strict. In fact, they sometimes eat out purposely because her mother is not up for cooking.

”She is not. Even if she is, what would you do then?” SinB asks, still laughing.

”I’ll make something for her. I’ll learn to make something she likes,” Yerin said in all seriousness as she flags the waitress.

SinB’s laugh immediately halted. She stares at Yerin who is ordering their food. Yerin smiles. She knows it was meant for her, not the waitress standing next to Yerin although the woman didn’t even look at her. She is certain of that. But the smiles feel like a lightning strike directly at her heart. It stings. It shines her heart. It scares her. SinB can sense how sincere Yerin’s words and smiles. 

”You really love me, huh?” SinB asks, her eyes still fixed on Yerin’s face

”Beyond a shadow of a doubt. I do. I really do. With all of my heart,” Yerin said confidently.

”Why? And how come you already decided when you don’t even know my feeling. What if I don’t love you? What if I can’t love you back?” SinB asks, her voice trembles, on the verge of bursting into tears.

Yerin flashes the sweetest smile of hers, she takes SinB’s hand and holds it gently while rubbing her thumb against it. 

”I have no reason for loving you. I just do. I love you and it’s not a requirement for you to love me back for me to love you. Even if you don’t love me or can’t love me, I love you still. It might hurts, but I love you and there’s nothing I can or want to do about it but to just continue to love you. You are not obliged to reciprocate my feeling, SinB,” said Yerin calmy and lovingly, without once taking her eyes off of SinB’s.

SinB’s eyes are getting teary and it goes unnoticed by Yerin. Yerin quickly rubs SinB’s hand and shows a toothy grin at the woman, attempting to stop her from crying.

”I’m not going to bake something for her today because it’s going to ruin my chances as little as it might be. She will surely curse at me because it’s either going to be burned to almost inedible or taste horrible. So, I’ll just buy something that we both sure are good and edible, okay?”

SinB nods weakly. Yerin smiles contentedly.

”What are we, Yerin?” SinB asks.

Yerin still wearing her contented smile answers, ”whatever it is you want us to be.”

The waitress gets to their table and places the drinks that they ordered. Yerin carefully slides the glasses to SinB who still wears a wary look.

”But for now, we are two hungry people looking forward to tasting these alluring and tasty-looking drinks and foods that are coming... in less than ten minutes I think. After you, my dear,” Yerin smiles as she stretches her arm, pointing at the drinks.

SinB just looks at Yerin, not knowing what to say or what to do. Yerin just looks back at her in those loving expression. It tugs her heart even more seeing that expression. Yerin probably sense what is she feeling, wiggles her eyebrows, pursing her lips in the direction of the glasses in front of her. There are two drinks, both were chosen by her. She couldn’t make her mind which one should she ordered, so Yerin told her to order them and let her have the one she likes less. 

Dang! She makes it hard for me to not love her back. 

SinB takes a sip of the drink one by one while Yerin just look at her intently. Seems like she can’t hide her expression well because Yerin instantly takes the drink that caused her face to frown once it enters without even saying anything. She is falling deeper with every second she and Yerin spend time together. With every loving and considerate move Yerin made, SinB feels her heart beating fast, her lips curled into a smile and her happiness reaches its peak.

***

”Bi, are you okay? You’ve been quiet. If you don’t want to bring the fruits and desserts I bought for your parents, it’s okay, you don’t have to. I’ll bring them home with me,” Yerin said as she pulls over in front of a big house, SinB’s parents’.

SinB shakes her head in response but didn’t say anything or even look up. She keeps staring at her hands ever since they got into the car. Yerin doesn’t press SinB for a verbal response. The two just sits there without talking, just a slow ballad song played in the background from the radio. Yerin already unbuckles her seatbelt and sits back, relaxing her body. The woman also unbuckles SinB’s seatbelt in hoping to make her relax. Yerin rested her hand on top of SinB’s hands that are lying on her knees. Yerin rubs her thumb against the side of her hands and it actually calms SinB’s nerve down. They continue sitting there in silence.

Meanwhile, a man in his fifty’s looking out the window of his study, looking directly at the foreign car, parks on the opposite side of the road in front of his house. He scrutinises the car as it is foreign, yet so familiar to him. He waits patiently for the driver and the passenger of the car to get out of it so he could see them and perhaps it will jog his memory. After fifteen-long-minutes, both the driver’s and passenger’s doors open, revealing two young women and it immediately clicks in his mind why the car is so familiar. Of course, he knew the car, it is familiar to him because he was part of the task force discussing and forcing the owner to buy the car.

The man smiles and nods his head approving what he is seeing from the window of his study. There stands his daughter, SinB and his favourite student of all time, Yerin. Not long after, he starts to feel a bit sorry for his daughter. He knew his wife arrangement involving her nephew and SinB, and he never approved of it. But, he just mention about it in a passing for a few times for the last few years. He never pressed his wife about it. 

The man follows every single move of the two women and his lips curved into the widest smile his facial muscle allows him to. The older woman, Yerin, the woman that he trained to be his successor in the field of trauma surgery is still the same woman he knew over ten years ago. The woman will never forget to buy or give something to her lover’s or friend’s parents. The thought makes him lost in space for a moment before his eyes caught something more interesting.

His eyesight is still great for seeing things afar and he gives Yerin a thumbs up when he sees the plastic bag with the name of a bakery written on it. Tonight, he sure he will get to eat delicious desserts. He is confident that whatever it is in the bag will taste good since Yerin was the one buying. He never once doubted the woman’s palate since he first met her even though it was when Yerin was still a student in medical school. 

”What are you smiling at?” 

SinB’s father immediately drawn the curtain close upon hearing his wife’s voice asking him a question that he didn’t really catch. He just hums in respond. But, the woman that she loves with all his heart is a lovely woman but sometimes can be a fierce and scary woman. And, this moment is the perfect example of how scary she can be. So, he opt for his go to answer, “nothing”. 

“You were looking out the window and smiling, yet you said nothing? Is your daughter home? And don’t tell me she invited her friend with her?” SinB’s mother said as she approaches the windowsill to look at what her husband was looking at just now. SinB’s father stiffen when his wife getting nearer.

”Omma! Appa! I’m home!” 

SinB’s father exhales deeply, relieved that SinB just scream for them from downstairs. SinB really nailed the timing because if she didn’t  scream for them as soon as she steps into the house, he and SinB will definitely have to listen to a long lecture delivered by none other than Mrs. Hwang herself.

”Speaking of the devil, come, let’s go downstairs or we will hear her screaming all over the house looking for us,” SinB’s father quickly leaves his study and drags his wife along.

The Hwang couple exchanges hug with their daughter once they got downstairs. SinB is closer with her father, so the hug is longer. Plus, her father always treats her like a child, hugging her and ruffling her hair before letting go. Only this time, one of the rare occurences, her father planted a kiss on her forehead longer than usual. SinB looks up at her father and the man just look at her with a mixed of loving and guilty expression. She flashes a questioning look at the man she respect the most.

”Can I eat the desserts first?” 

SinB’s eyes widen upon hearing her father’s question.

”Why? You are wondering if all trauma surgeons have sweet tooth?”

Now, SinB’s eyes are about to jump out of the sockets. She hasn’t got the chance to tell her parents about the fruits and desserts that Yerin bought for them, and she certainly hasn’t mentioned Yerin’s name nor her profession. So, how on earth did her father knows?

”Just so you know, I approve. And I don’t think all trauma surgeon has sweet tooth, but the two of us certainly do. So, can I get my treat now?” SinB’s father winks at her and flashes a toothy grin. SinB was about to ask her father what does he means by that but her mother appears out of nowhere cuts her before she could mutter a word.

”What treat? And what is this I hear about trauma surgeon? SinB, don’t tell me you are considering taking trauma surgery?” SinB’s mother asks while shooting daggers at her and her father.

”Oh, my friend bought some fruits and desserts. Appa is asking if he can have some dessert now,” SinB answers half of her mother’s question deliberately. She doesn’t want to say anything about trauma surgery.

”Oh? Well, thank your friend for me. And honey, why can’t you just wait after dinner? It’s only in a few hours,” said SinB’s mother.

”I am craving for something sweet, I’ll just have a few bites. I promise,” SinB’s father raises his hand up, smiling, convincing his wife.

”Haih, fine. Just two bites maximum!” SinB’s mother said sternly.

SinB’s father counter offer his wife’s permission by showing three fingers at her. Behind the fierce looking woman, lies a soft-hearted, loving woman who always give in to her childish husband that she loves so much. Slowly, the woman nods her head, heaving a sigh before shaking her head in disbelief. The man always loves desserts and he is a fool for desserts, sometimes she uses his sweet tooth for her advantages. SinB watches the sweet exchange between her parents and smiles. She sees herself and Yerin in that situation and her parents are exactly like she and Yerin.

Somehow, she sees a lot of resemblances between her father and Yerin. Their childish personality, their sense of responsibility both for their personal life and work, and how loving they are when they are with their loved ones. Perhaps, those are the reason why she fell for Yerin. SinB just sends her father to the kitchen to get a taste of the desserts Yerin bought with the corner of her eyes. She was ordered to wash up and get ready for the dinner by her mother.

SinB trudges to her room and takes her sweet time lying on the bed instead of hitting the shower. Plus, the guests are not going to arrive in another two hours and she can get ready in just thirty minutes. She plays with her phone and starts texting Yerin asking her whereabouts. She doesn’t get an immediate reply and she already predicted that because the trauma surgeon is driving back home. SinB finally gets off her bed and trudges to the bathroom when her mother knocks on her door, reminding her to get ready.

After thirty minutes, SinB is ready. She still has about forty-five minutes, so she decides to go and visit her father in his study to pick up where they left before. She wants to ask him what does he meant with he approval and how did he know about Yerin.

”Appa, what do you mean earlier?” SinB asks the man who is sitting at the desk and he just hums in response.

”Appa...what do you mean by you approve? Approve of what?” SinB asks vaguely.

”What are you really asking, SinB?” asks SinB’s father back. He is being the serious him.

”When you said you approve earlier. What are you approving of? And how did you know about my friend being a trauma surgeon?” SinB asks again, knowing that her father perfectly understands what she was saying but will never answer her unless she asks him specifically.

”It means, you are an adult and you can always choose whoever you want to be with. And of course, I know Yerin. I trained her to be my successor in the field and in the hospital before I left,” the senior Dr. Hwang said, looking up from the paper, staring at his daughter.

”Can I really? How about omma?” SinB sits on the chair in front of her father, looking wary.

They both sighs at the question. They both know what it is about. Jackson and the disapproval of being with a trauma surgeon. The woman they both adore have too much liking towards Jackson being a part of their family. Jackson, the son of Dr. Hwang’s little brother’s wife’s side’s nephew. SinB’s mother has been matchmaking her with Jackson ever since she was still in high school. She never feels anything romantic with Jackson despite the dates her mother orders her to go with him. SinB is just fulfiling her obligation, nothing more. 

SinB’s mother, despite being married to a renown, one of the best trauma surgeon in the country, despises even the idea of any of her children taking up trauma surgery, let alone marrying one. 

”Well, I get your mother’s concern. But... I firmly believe that you should be with someone you love. I want you to live your life happily too. I’m sure you still remember you didn’t get to see me much when you were little. Eyh, but, did you and Yerin plan to have a child? Or children? She’s great with kids.”

SinB’s jaw drops to the ground. Her cheeks reddened. A child? She never thinks that far in the future. Heck! She didn’t even think she could be in a relationship with Yerin. Her father’s thinking is way, way too advance. 

”Appa! We are not together! We just went out for lunch,” SinB’s stutters.

”Oh? Well, okay then. I will get to enjoy free desserts, foods and all kind of weird stuff still,” the man grins happily.

”Huh?”

”Well, your friend Yerin. I expect that she will send us things from time to time, and I hope you would at least tell her about my sweet tooth even if you are not going to tell her who I am,” explained SinB’s father. 

”Huh?” SinB asks, more confused than ever. 

”Honey! SinB! Come down and help me with the table.” 

”You’ll get what I mean later,” SinB’s father winks at SinB before dragging her out of his study, leaving for the dining room.

SinB helps set up the table as per her mother’s order even though they have maids who can do that. Meanwhile, her father is helping her mother in the kitchen. Probably tasting the dishes for the last time before they are being served. Just as the clock hits 7.30 p.m., the door bell’s rang and one of the maids gets it. SinB waits for the guest with her parents at the living room.

”Chief? Irene unnie?” SinB asks right after she sees the guests that she was waiting for.

”Bae! Long time no see, my friend,” exclaimed SinB’s father while shaking Chief Bae’s hand.

”Cut the crap, Hwang! We went out for drinks two weeks ago,” responded Chief Bae.

”SinB. This is my wife and my daughters. I assumed you and Irene know each other. And this is my youngest daughter, Wendy.” Chief Bae introduces his family to SinB who looks utterly surprised with his appearance in her house.

”SinB, close your mouth. Don’t be too surprised. You knew appa and omma worked there before,” SinB’s mother lightly taps her shoulder. SinB quickly closes that opens wide just now due to the shock. She goes and shakes hand with Chief Bae’s wife, Irene and Wendy.

SinB feels slightly awkward but tries to power through the night. She never knew her father is best friend with Chief Bae. And her mother is close with his wife. Her mother knows Irene too. The awkwardness level heightened to a higher level when Jackson joins their dinner. Jackson comes alone with SinB’s uncle and her wife. 

The dinner gets super awkward and SinB prays hard for the earth to consume her, or transport her to another place other than her mother’s dining table when her mother introducing Jackson and her arrangement and hope that she and Jackson marrying each other. She can feel a pair of eyes staring sharply at her. But, thankfully the eyes leave her alone when her mother praises Irene’s choice of dating Kang Seulgi. Her mother said it was a good riddance when Irene left Yerin.

Although she likes that Irene is no longer staring at her, she feels sorry for the older woman too because clearly she and surprisingly Irene’s mother and her little sister are uncomfortable talking about it. SinB’s mother keeps on rambling about Yerin and how bad she was, not one of them say anything in response. They keep trying to change the topic but her mother seems to have a lot to say about Yerin and all of them are bad. SinB could see that not one of the Bae’s clan is fond of or even agree with what her mother is saying about Yerin. SinB steals a glance at Irene and the latter just smiles flatly at her with regret drawn all over her face. It scares SinB.

What does that face mean? Is Irene regretting her decision of breaking up with Yerin years ago? Does Irene still have feelings for Yerin? Is she leaving Dr Kang Seulgi for Yerin? What would happen to her if Irene is coming back to Yerin? 

**

”Jackson?” Irene asks SinB sternly.

 

****

A/N 

Dear readers,

Thank you for waiting. Sorry for the hiatus from the last chapter. Busy with graduation, moving back and start working back. 

Thank you again and enjoy.

***