SinB

Unlucky

Now what is she doing here? She didn’t even text me telling me she’s coming.

SinB squints her eyes, trying to see clearly the person a few metres away in front of her, amidst the busy ER, laughing happily with a nurse. The nurse that was responsible for causing SinB and Yerin to be apart for a week. SinB marches towards the woman in her dynamic splint on her left leg, who is still laughing and now standing an inches away from the nurse.

Aih, this Tzuyu! And this Yerin! 

SinB balls her fists, picking up her pace, avoiding people, wheelchair and gurneys. Her heart rate increases, her steps too. She can’t believe that Yerin is there laughing with other women when they were just talking on the phone not more than five minutes ago. Yerin didn’t mention anything about coming to the hospital or even coming back to Seoul. The nearer she is to the scene, the greater her desire to snatch Yerin’s arm and drags the woman away from Tzuyu. But, she replays it over her mind and decided that it’s not a good move when she is still an intern, and she is the one decided to keep their relationship in the low. 

“You are back to work, Dr Jung?” asks SinB with the attempted controlled voice. Her face on the other hand, shows the hell-level of annoyance.

”Ahh, Dr Hwang. No, I’m not officially back. Just came to finish my report. Nurse Tzuyu called and asked me to get it all done,” answers Yerin carefully, not wanting to make things worse with SinB as the girl is burying her nails in her back and trailing it down her spine.

”Oh? Weren’t you still on leave because of an injury? Should you even be here when you are still not well? Couldn’t the report just wait? Or someone else could do them for you, that’s possible, isn’t it? Or, you are already well and ready to work?” asks SinB slapping on Yerin’s thigh, hard, really hard that the sound resonates across the room, shocking a few nurses and interns surrounding Yerin.

Yerin tries her best to keep her tears in because of the painful strike on her thigh. She just shakes her head, responding to the question. 

“This is one cruel system, asking a still unwell doctor to come in for a report,” rebut SinB.

”Reports, not just one report,” rebuts Tzuyu, rolling her eyes at SinB.

As SinB was about to say something, she feels a hand gently placed on her back, slowly tracing down her spine.

”I’m all done. Are you heading towards the change room, Dr Hwang? I’m heading there too. Let’s walk together,” suggests Yerin holding out her hand to SinB.

SinB bows a bit, excusing herself and walks out of the ER without saying anything nor taking Yerin’s hand. She is angry that Yerin didn’t back her up or even express her dissatisfaction for having to come to the hospital for a paperwork. For some paperworks. She was heading to the change room to change and heads back home, but now, since Yerin said she’s heading there too, she changed her plan. Where to? Anywhere else but there.

”Bi...” calls Yerin as discreetly as possible, trying to catch up with SinB.

SinB can hear it loud and clear but chose to ignore the woman. She is too furious that Yerin has never backed her up everytime Tzuyu is mentioned being the one causing Yerin to be in this predicament. Yes, it’s true. Every single time SinB said it was all Tzuyu’s fault for finding Yerin at the change room to handle the case when Yerin’s shift has already ended, thus causing her to get injured for treating the patient the way it was supposed to be. Yerin never put the blame on Tzuyu. She even backed the woman up saying it’s her job to find a trauma surgeon to handle a case and no one could’ve known what will happen that day. No one could’ve thought that the man would shoot the doctor trying to save his boss and also his lover.

Thinking how Yerin backed Tzuyu up makes SinB even angrier. Her steps becoming faster to a jog. She jogs away to the park beside the cafeteria, not knowing where her feet will take her. SinB stops and she turns around to see no one is coming after her. Yerin is not at sight. She was angry then, and now she is frustrated. 

I guess I am not that important to you, am I Yerin? You didn’t bother to run after me to coax me eyh? 

SinB sits on a bench nearby, taking a deep breath, trying to calm her erratically beating heart. She taps her foot continuously, looking down at the floor, attempting to stop the tears that are threatening to escape her eyes. Tears of anger, of sadness, of frustration with Yerin’s action.

How could she? Don’t take my heart and toy with it, Yerin. I have given my heart to you, and you did this to me?

Tears rolling down SinB’s cheeks, fast. She couldn’t hold it in anymore. This is her first time experiencing this kind of situation. SinB seriously doubting her decision of falling in love with Yerin and giving her heart to the woman causing her misery right now. SinB cries her heart out, but not wanting people to stare at her, she keeps her head down. Not long after stream of tears running down her cheeks, a set of cold hands caress her cheeks, wiping the tears off them. Then a pair of lips kissing her forehead tenderly. 

“I’m sorry Bi,” mutters the person kneeling on the ground in front of her, wiping her tears off, kissing the top of her head. 

SinB smacks the hands as the gentle touch gets to her heart, causing her sobbing to become audible. SinB suddenly being pulled into an embrace and its making her even angry and sad all in the same time. SinB tries to escape Yerin’s embrace but the woman tightens her embrace. SinB smacks and punches Yerin’s chest repeatedly, wailing even harder. Yerin just withstand the painful punches, not saying anything. SinB keeps pounding for who knows how long until she gives up and just rest her head against Yerin’s chest. 

“I’m sorry,” whispers Yerin after a long silence.

“I hate you!” cries SinB, starting to smack Yerin’s chest again.

“I love you, Bi. Don’t you love me?” Yerin tightens her embrace, whispering in SinB’s ear.

“I hate you!” SinB’s punches turn to light smacks as Yerin continues whispering “I love you” in her ear.

”I hate you...” said SinB between her sobs.

Yerin relentlessly says “I love you” like it is some mantra to soften SinB’s heart. 

“Don’t you hurt my heart like this!” shouts SinB as loud as she could, still sobbing hard.

”I won’t. I’m sorry, Bi. I love you. I’m sorry. I love you...”

”I love you. Don’t hurt me, don’t do this to me anymore,” said SinB, finally stops sobbing.

”I won’t, I promise you.” 

Yerin then kisses SinB’s right, then left eyes. SinB’s heart melts. This is the first time in her life that someone kisses the tears away, instead of the conventional wiping them off method. SinB hugs Yerin and rests her head on Yerin’s shoulder. She stays there for a while.

”What are you even doing here? You didn’t say anything on the phone,” SinB asks as she pulls away from Yerin’s body.

Now that SinB can see Yerin clearly, then it hits her. It hits her hard, right between her eyes.

You stupid SinB! You just make her run after you when her leg is still in a splint! And she has been kneeling on the ground the entire time you were crying and punching her. All with her leg is still in a splint.

“I thought I’d surprise you and drive you home today. On my way here, Tzuyu called asking me to finish my backlogged reports. Sorry...I didn’t tell you about it, I miss driving you home...” explains Yerin,to which SinB thought she should’ve listened to before storming off the ER and ran all the way to the park.

Seeing Yerin is still kneeling on the ground makes SinB feels more guilty. She takes the woman’s hand and pull her to stand. Yerin stands up with difficulties, and sits on the bench besides SinB. SinB consumed with guilt when she sees Yerin massaging her thigh and knee, and around the place where she got shot.  She wanted to say how sorry she was, but every time she tries to utter her apology, Yerin cuts her off by asking her or saying something.

”Do you want to have breakfast first?” Yerin asks.

SinB looks at Yerin with questioning look. Then, Yerin shows her phone to SinB. SinB reads what is on the screen.

How’s your surprise? Let’s grab something before you two went home. Sang Min is making his special breakfast that you love today.

Jealousy creeping in SinB’s heart yet again. Eunha knew about the surprise, but she didn't. Well, of course it wouldn't be a surprise anymore had she knew Yerin was coming, but why should Eunha knew about it?

Does she has to tell Eunha everything? Does she has to tell her ex-girlfriend what ever thing she wanted to do with her girlfriend?

SinB sighs inwardly, not wanting to show her feeling about the situation. Yerin massaging her knee in silence is not helping her to let the offer down at all. She is consumed with guilt that she ends up nodding her head, agreeing with the suggestion. They stay there for another five minutes before they get up and leave for the hospital’s cafeteria.

When they arrive, the food is already on the table where Eunha and Sowon are. SinB exchanges hugs with Sowon and Eunha. Yerin does the same. The only exception is, Eunha stares at Yerin’s lower back intensely before looking at the t-shirt Yerin is wearing closely. Without saying anything, Eunha lifts up Yerin’s t-shirt a bit and her eyes widened.

”What happened to your back?” asks Eunha, scrutinising Yerin’s back.

”Huh? Ahh. Nothing. Probably I bumped into something. It’s not that bad, isn’t it?” Yerin asks as she takes a seat. 

Eunha stares at Yerin intensely and then moves to SinB. SinB’s tries to avoid Eunha’s eyes, clearly showing a sign of guilty. Eunha sighs before she takes off and comes back with a first aid kit. Right there and then, Eunha treated Yerin while criticising how bad she is taking care of herself, how she should take care of herself better and all. Yerin just continues eating without rebutting, sometimes, wincing when it stings a bit, resulted from Eunha pressing down the gauze out of anger.

”Eunha-yang, you should stop taking care of Yerin like she is a child. And she has a girlfriend now, let her new girlfriend do it,” says Sowon, handing the coffee to Eunha after she finally done with Yerin.

Both Yerin and SinB eat in silence. But SinB is agreeing with Sowon in her mind. Although Eunha was staring in rage at her when Sowon said to let she does all the taking care of Yerin tasks, she still thinks she should be the one doing all that. Eunha’s staring was right too. She was the one inflicting injury to Yerin, so, it would be illogical that the same person was to take care of Yerin. That, she understands and agrees with. But, in her defence, she didn’t think her scratching is injurious. And, she is not sorry that she scratched Yerin, but she is for making her bleed. 

”She’s-” Eunha didn’t finish her rebuttal and starts eating when Yerin caresses her hand that is resting on the bench. 

SinB looks at them jealously. She sighs. They can control each other’s behaviour, still, after all these years. SinB knows she is not supposed to feel this way but she wonders when will this feeling subsides. Yerin suddenly caresses her hand and smiles at her. Immediately, everything that is playing in her mind melts away and she is reassured that Yerin’s heart belongs to her.

**

”Let’s stay like this all day,” says Yerin as she tightens her embrace around SinB’s waist who is lying on the couch with her, watching something on TV.

SinB kisses Yerin’s hand tenderly, ”we can’t, I have to go home, my parents are expecting me.”

”I miss you. Please?” says Yerin in a cute voice, trying to coax her.

”I want to, but I can’t. I miss you too. We’ll see each other on Monday,” SinB flashes a sorry smile at Yerin before wiggling her way out of Yerin’s embrace.

”Arghh...where are you going?” Yerin pulls SinB close to her, not letting the woman escape her embrace. 

”I’m going to get ready. I have to be home for lunch,” explains SinB.

”Let’s stay like this a little bit longer. I’ll drive you home as fast as I can later. You will make it for lunch, don’t worry, I promise,” Yerin raises her hand as a sign of promise before kissing her girlfriend’s forehead and pulls her closer.

SinB shakes her head, mouthing ’no’, only to get a pouting Yerin as a respond. Then Yerin asks her if she is still angry at her and it makes her think for a while. She shakes her head indicating no to which Yerin replies with a smile. Yerin tries pulling her closer again and SinB props her hand against Yerin’s shoulder, fighting the urge to just collapse on the woman’s chest and cuddles all day. Her mother’s yapping for not helping her keeps SinB from doing just that. 

”I can’t, honey. We’ll do this later. I have to get ready now or I’ll be late and get scold by omma,” SinB flashes a frowning smile at Yerin before giving the woman a quick peck on the lips and gets off the couch.

SinB didn’t get to take a step away from the couch when her hand being grabbed by Yerin causing her to lose her footing, and falls back onto the couch, sitting on Yerin’s lap. Yerin doesn’t say anything and just pulls her for a kiss, to which SinB does not say no to or even refuse. The two only break the kiss when they desperately needing some air to be alive. SinB takes the opportunity to get up from Yerin’s lap, only this time, she is not leaving the woman behind. She takes Yerin’s hand and leads her to Yerin’s room.

Yerin smiles widely as she follows her girlfriend to the master bedroom. SinB takes Yerin to the bed, slowly and softly pushes the woman to sit on the comfy mattress. Then, SinB pushes Yerin softly, indirectly directing the woman to lay down on the bed. SinB takes a glance in the direction of the door and sees that it is wide open. So, she points her finger at the door, and walks towards it and close the door using her leg before she gets back to the bed. SinB leans down and smiles at Yerin who’s eyes have been following every single movement SinB made. SinB kisses Yerin’s forehead tenderly. And then she whispers in Yerin’s ear, ”I love you. I need to get ready.”

Then, SinB sprints toward the ensuite bathroom and locks the door, leaving Yerin who is confuse and devastated with the whole situation on the bed. SinB does feel a mountain of guilt but she is not capable of withheld her mother’s rage. Plus, she needs to be on her mother’s good side if she wants this relationship with Yerin to work out. If she is on her mother’s bad side, she might never get the woman’s approval which she doesn’t need to have but wants to. SinB waits for a while to see if Yerin is going to bang on the door or say something, but nothing seems to move. So, she takes off her clothes and leaves them lying on the floor and steps into the shower.

The warm shower is relaxing her tensed muscle. SinB smiles. Now, she can take a shower and spends the night here, at Yerin’s place because during the week of Yerin went back to her parents’, she brings a few clothes and stores them here. She asked Yerin about it and the woman said okay without questioning her. When SinB gets out of the bathroom, Yerin is already changed, smiling at her. 

”I wait for you in the living room,” says Yerin before leaving the room.

**

SinB arrives at her parents with another hour to spare before lunch. She is thankful that Yerin didn’t drive like a maniac and she didn’t even press her to talk about her parents. Yerin drives her home and dropped her in front of the gate. The woman just caressed her hand and asks her to get a good rest while at home without the normal kiss on her cheek’s parting act. SinB was praying that Yerin wouldn’t do that along the drive, but she didn’t say anything. She was worried that someone might catch them doing so. 

She changes into her comfy clothes and helps her mother in the kitchen. They catch up with each other’s life and SinB carefully picks the stories she shares with her mother, not wanting to slip anything related to Yerin. It’s not as exhausting as people say it would be hiding her love story from her mother because she doesn’t always share everything with her mother. Surely her mother would report on her father’s behaviour and what they did last weekend when she didn’t come home. And when it comes to the anticipated story, that is her mother’s favourite story, SinB leaves the kitchen. There is nothing about Jackson that she wanted to know.

The lunch was unbearable as her mother openly  discussing her plan to marry off SinB to Jackson. SinB hasn’t said a word since the start of lunch, but she makes sure everyone at the table knows she dislikes the topic that is being discussed. Jackson is all hyped, pitching in his ideas and thoughts on the plan. SinB doesn’t know what’s getting into her when she bluntly responded to Jackson’s proposing her with a hard no. Even when the man laughs it off, and asks her once again, SinB rejects him in a blink of an eye, in a serious tone. Everyone can see and hear how dead serious is she when she rejected the proposal. Just when Jackson is about to ask her the same question again, SinB looks up and stares straight into the man’s eyes and says, ”I’ve said it twice, and it’s still the same. No.”

SinB puts the fork down, preparing to leave the table. She has not spoken anything until Jackson proposed and she outright rejects him. As she has been taught well, she asks the permission to be excused from the table. 

”No, you may not. Everyone else is still eating,” rejects SinB’s mother sternly to her request. 

Not wanting to be a child who has no manners and risk her family being ridiculed, SinB stays without saying anything. She sips on her water and gets it refill for a couple of times, patiently waiting for the rest of the people at the dining table is done with the main course. She is waiting to eat some dessert and get to her room. She feels like throwing up every time she heard Jackson saying that she is kidding and she is not saying yes because of the circumstances, because she is shy, because his proposal is not sweet and grand enough. None of that is true. She doesn’t like nor love Jackson like the way he does for her.

SinB sits there quietly and she keeps thinking what is she going to talk about with Yerin on the phone after this. And the thought is what kept her there, sane, while sipping on her tea. But then, her sweet mother has to bring up the issue about trauma surgeon and while she is talking about it, Yerin’s name had to come up. If it’s something good, she doesn’t mind and she will be flattered to hear it. But, there are always things that are not true and far-fetched. And now, she has an irresistible urge to leave the table and go back to Yerin’s house, staying in her warm embrace.

”Auntie, don’t worry. I will make sure that Yerin doesn’t come near my SinB. That’s my promise to you, auntie,” says Jackson confidently, before winking at SinB. 

Automatically, SinB’s stomach churn and she gagged causing a discomfort to the people sitting at the table. 

”Excuse me, I don’t feel good. Need to go to the bathroom,” says SinB covering , quickly leaving the dining table. Seeing SinB is gagging, no one stops her from leaving.

SinB goes straight to the bathroom in her room and true to her gagging, she throws up every pieces of the food she just ate. What a waste of such good food. She heard the knocks on the door but she is busy emptying her stomach content, all thanks to Jackson sputtering nonsense about him and her. After she manages to get out of the bathroom and sits on the floor, leaning against her sturdy bed, Yerin’s image immediately flashes in front of her. 

At this rate, her relationship with Yerin might not see the light of the day. Hanging by a thread, wiith her mother going on full blast with her plan and her grandfather giving his full support. Her heart hurts. She was never meant to fall for Yerin or any other girls. She knew her grandfather and mother all too well that this relationship is impossible. And yet, for the first time in her life, she follows her heart desires despite all the known chances of failing. She happily set sails with her love of her life, giving nothing but to her mother’s warning. 

Don’t give up, SinB. Appa is in our side.

SinB stares at the ceiling. She takes a deep breath and waits for her phone to ring for the third time before picking it up. That’s the love of her life that she is fighting for who is calling. She needed to collect herself up first before picking up the call.

”Hey,” greets SinB as cheerful as she can.

But, Yerin sees right through her, well, heard her. The woman immediately asks her if she is feeling okay, to which she just lie through her teeth saying she is okay. She knows Yerin doesn’t buy it but just let it slip. They talk about the lunch they both had, and the lunch that went down the toilet for SinB. And right until then, Yerin managed to restrain herself from asking SinB about what happen. The woman asks again.

”Something, I don’t want to get into it,” SinB responded briefly, not wanting to lie to her girlfriend again, but also not wanting to tell her the truth.

Yerin tries to guess what was wrong with her, and all those guesses are wrong. 

‘Our relationship is not getting your family’s blessing, isn’t it?’

Those words hit directly at her heart. It hurts so much because it’s true. It hurts so much that it mums . It hurts so much that tears are threatening to escape her eyes. SinB can hear a quiet sighs from the other end of the line. Those words keep both their lips sealed. The only sounds that can be heard is the restrained sighs from both ends. 

Yerin initiate the conversation back by telling her to get something to eat because she just throws up. She might has irritated stomach if she waits for dinner to fill it again.

”Can we go out to get some food, then?” asks SinB, responding to Yerin’s suggestion.

Yerin’s response is not what she expected it to be. The woman reasons with her how impolite it would be if she was to take her out now that she is already home. Yerin usually will be jumping delightfully at her suggestion, regardless of the time of the day. This is not the normal Yerin.

”Hey, we shouldn’t upset your parents, they don’t like me in the first place. I shouldn’t be doing things that make they hate me even more,” explains Yerin. 

Omma already hate you as a person. Not because you are my girlfriend.

“Appa likes you, and he loves me enough not to let me die of hunger after I had emptied my stomach,” SinB tries to reason back with Yerin.

Yerin is pretty adamant that SinB beginning to feel that Yerin is not going to budge. She gives up trying to ask Yerin to get her out of this house for some food. She opts to listen to Yerin’s suggestion instead, ask the maid to cook something for her. But, that requires her to go down to the kitchen and might have to walk pass Jackson who she is confident is still loitering around the house, not knowing when to leave. As she thinks of her options, someone is knocking on the door. Yerin quickly excuses herself using that as her reason. They say their goodbyes and exchange their love assurance, ‘i love you’ before ending the call.

”Yes?” asks SinB as she opens the door.

Enters her older brother with foods in both his hands and mouth. SinB welcomes him with a smile. She rarely gets to see her brother unless they are having family dinner. Him being here indicating that tonight they are having one of the big family dinner involving their grandparents, close family friends and unfortunately Jackson and his family. SinB tries not to think about the last person and enjoys the foods her brother brought for her but failed miserably when she crumples the snack’s packaging a tad too hard.

”Hey kiddo, are you okay?” SinB’s brother asks.

”They didn’t tell you? This is the first time,” SinB asks her brother back because her mother usually would report to him what she did and how disobedient she was. Even if her mother didn’t tell him, one of the maid must have. They always do. They keep them updated with what is happening around the house.

“Omma said you turn down Jackson’s proposal,” SinB’s brother responded nonchalantly as he continues stuffing his face.

”What do you think I’m going to say? Yes, my darling?” asks SinB sarcastically.

”Do you think you will ever get out of the arrangement?” 

SinB’s brother’s question got her thinking. He has a valid argument. It does seem unlikely for her or in fact, anyone in her family to get away with their own plan if it’s not her mother’s. 

”You did,” said SinB as she just remembers that her brother did manage to get out of the arranged marriage with one lovely woman.

”Didn’t get to marry the one I love either. She got tired of waiting for something that will never happen any time soon and found her own happiness with someone else,” SinB’s brother answered solemnly, smiling bitterly at the fond memory of the only woman he ever truly loved.

Then, they both stares into space, brood over the subject. Sometimes she feels this is why her brother is rarely around at home, he buries himself in work at the pharmaceutical company that their grandfather owned. If he sets foot in the house, their mother will keep reminding him of her sadness for losing the perfect woman and daughter in law to someone else. Yes, the woman that her mother trying to marry off her brother to, is already happily married with two kids. Still, their mother is still longing for her to be this house’s daughter in law.

And she is still trying to find him a new girl despite knowing the sole reason he adamantly not wanting to get married to the woman of her choice. Their mother is a hard-headed woman and set her foot down not to allow them to marry. But, somehow she gave her blessing when the woman is getting married in a day. Her brother did think about it, to get the woman that has her heart away on the wedding day but didn’t. He loves her too much that he doesn’t want her to suffer because of him. He thought he had caused her a lot of suffering and difficulties when they were still together because of their mother. And he can guarantees that their mother will try her best to make life as a living hell for both of them even if she gave her blessing already. They saw it with their own eyes. It is a sad truth about their mother that they have come to term with. 

”Thinking about what is it going to be with you and that person?” asks SinB’s brother, bringing her back to reality. She keeps mum, neither agreeing nor objecting him.

”Do you think it’s worth the fight?” asks SinB.

Her brother just lifts up his shoulder, mouthing the word ’don’t know’ before letting out a sigh. They both sighs deeply.

”No, I am not going to give up this time. I won’t lose her,” says SinB under her breath with uttermost determination.

”Her?!” asks SinB’s brother surprised, eyes wide open.

”Ne, why? Not you too...oppa,” asks SinB, feeling defeated for the second time today.

”What? I’m just asking. You know I want the best for you...”

”But?” asks SinB, detecting a hesitation in her brother’s voice.

”I don’t know. This is not the first time,” SinB’s brother says unsure of what the future holds seeing what has happened in the past.

”Appa is with me this time, he said so the other day,” SinB tries convincing her brother. She is actually convincing herself more than her brother.

SinB takes her phone and impulsively texts her girlfriend.

’I am not giving you up’.

And not a few seconds passed, SinB got a new text from Yerin.

’I am not giving you up as well’.

Instantly, SinB’s feeling is reassured. She knows that she is not alone and that Yerin, without a clear clue of things that are going on jumps aboard without hesitating. It feels like she can overcome this obstacle this time. SinB feels energised that leaves her brother baffles. 

“Wae?” asks the man who is older than her by a few years.

”She is in this together. We can get through this,” shares SinB confidently.

”She better be. Or else, I would beat her up like she’s a man,” says SinB’s brother, air punching smugly.

”She’ll take it like a man too,” responds SinB, equally as smug, not wanting her Yerin to lose.

The two talked and stuff their face non stop with those junk foods that they are aware of its non-nutritous values. They jump from the topic of SinB’s love life to her brother’s, then their mother’s eccentric plan for both their love lives, the undying love of their father for their mother and also work-induced stress, especially SinB’s brother who is working in their family company. They continue chatting without a care in the world for the guests downstairs until one of the maid comes knocking on the door.

”It’s tea time and your mother asks both of you to come down,” explains the woman behind the closed door.

”Okay, we’ll be down in five minutes,” responded SinB and unexpectedly, the maid who is supposed to leave, responds back, ”I have to come down with you two.”

SinB’s brother gets up from the floor and holds out his hand for helping SinB up. They exchange bitter smile before walk out of the room while saying thank you to the maid. The two get downstairs with the maid on tow. A beautiful, familiar face welcomes them once they reached do88wnstairs. SinB’s brother starts twitching and his lips immediately quirks into a knowing playful playboy’s smile who just found his new target.

”Off the market, not into guys right now,” whispers SinB, elbowing her brother who just responds with eyebrows wiggling.

”I mean it!” SinB whispers again in her brother’s ears, but now with lots of emphasise.

”Oh? Is that her?”

SinB’s brother nearly caused her to trip on her own foot. She shoots a deathly glare at the man clinging onto his hand to stop him from approaching Irene who is smiling heavenly at them.

”No. And she is not available. Please, do not do anything to her.” 

SinB looks at her brother with a pleading eyes making the man’s determination falters. He raises his hands up, surrendering any of his intention and plan to approach Irene, and probably toying with her heart. This, this has become his hobby ever since he lost his love of his life. SinB then walks over to Irene’s side and helps the woman with the desserts that she brought with. 

The two most beautiful women in the house unpack and arrange the desserts silently before Jackson comes and greet them enthusiastically. Irene greets him back while SinB just ignores him. Jackson tries lending a hand, but SinB quickly finishes the job and move out of the kitchen with Irene on tow.

”Jackson?” asks Irene. SinB just nodded as a response.

SinB closes her eyes, mustering the strength to face all this tiring and annoying dinner with Jackson. The man has shown his annoying and obnoxious’s side as soon as she came down minutes ago. And just like lunch, the appetiser is served alongside SinB’s mother welcoming introduction of Jackson, her most priced future son in law, soon to be married to SinB.

”Don’t like him,” whispers Irene in SinB’s ears all of the sudden.

SinB just looks at her confused with what she just said. That’s the last thing she thought would comes out of Irene’s mouth because the goddess of the hospital is not known to say such words. SinB thought she misheard the woman, but Irene’s face tells it all. The woman frowns, distorting her heavenly features. 

“Will try my best to make sure he doesn’t get you,” says Irene one last time, side-eyeing the loudest and obnoxious man at the table.

**

”Morning beautiful.”

SinB’s cheeks immediately blush as soon as Yerin greets her once she set foot in the car. She wanted to scream joyfully but she still needs to keep her cool in front of Yerin. But, she lost it instantly when Yerin cups her face, turning it to face hers and claims her lips tenderly, with all the love Yerin can give her. And she, she responds with equal amount of love and added a bit of passion that leads to a slightly longer kiss than Yerin had originally planned but gladly obliged to.

”Didn’t think it would be a good-good morning like this,” says Yerin when they both pull away.

”Then don’t kiss me next time,” says SinB coldly, looking away, trying to hide her beetroot-coloured face.

”Wouldn’t miss a chance, and I’ll be prepared next time,” Yerin sticks out her tongue and wiggle it ually before laughing her heart out and starts driving when SinB responded with smacking her thigh and points her finger at the road.

The first fifteen minutes drive, SinB didn’t say anything other than playing with her girlfriend’s finger who is focusing on driving. They both have morning shift today, so SinB asked Yerin to pick her up at her parents’ at the crack of dawn. SinB only started making a sound when Yerin turns at a corner, taking a route that is not the one heading to the hospital. She asks Yerin but the woman just rubs her thumbs and smiles at her. They drive for another ten minutes before Yerin pull over in front of a cozy cafè. SinB turns and looks at Yerin.

”You don’t like the one that I frequented with them, so I get around the neighbourhood to find our own cafe,” says Yerin, squeezing SinB’s hand, shooting a warm smile.

SinB falls for Yerin all over again. This. This is why she couldn’t resists Yerin. Why Yerin managed to tear down the wall that she put up for not falling in love with her. And the woman tore it down with her caring and loving attention. She gets off the car once Yerin opens the door for her. They walk hand in hand to the cafè. The cafè looks nice, not too busy but there are people eating in and just drop by for a quick fix of breakfast. And, apparently specialises in both western and Korean cuisine. It’s rare.

”I have tasted the food in restaurants and cafès around here and this one serves the best of its kind. Don’t worry, this is not some kind of quirky fusion food, they just serve both western and Korean. I’m not sure which one do you like the most, so, I thought this would suit us?” explains Yerin when she sees SinB’s frowning upon reading the cafe’s sign.

”Anywhere that is us, is perfect for me,” says SinB before leading Yerin into the cafe.

It turns out it is perfect for them as she said it would be. They both order different menus. Yerin orders the hearty Korean breakfast while she herself orders the hearty American style breakfast. They eat, picking up food from each other’s plates while talking about their days. SinB of course skips the parts where Jackson is involved in the stories, and she asks more about Yerin than sharing about her days.

Yerin did something that SinB never thought was important, that she never thought would swooned her over someone. She always thought being chivalry is a waste of time and energy, that it is not necessary, and impractical.  Why should anyone waste their time searching for a place to have breakfast with the one they loved when they can just eat anywhere there is food! It’s completely impractical and unnecessarily complicated. But then, Yerin proved her wrong. Yes, they had breakfast at the cafe nearby the hospital before. And yes, the food, coffee, the ambiance and even the waitress is nice. The downfall is, that’s the cafè that Yerin frequented with her previous girlfriends a.k.a her bestfriends and everyone working there already know them.

Often, people are talking about food or drinks that Yerin usually orders when she was with them. Yerin also having no trouble remembering and sharing one too many informations about the unnies. Truth be told, it hurts sometimes. More than often, she couldn’t control her facial expression and Yerin noticed them.

And today, having breakfast with Yerin in a new cafè where no one knows them. A place where they will try all the menus, shares with each other and discover their favourites. Create memories of them together, with no one in Yerin’s previous love life is involved. She loves it. She really loves it. She never think it is a big deal before, but it does. They talked, they laughed, they exchanged one too many suggestive remarks and touches that they almost missed work.

“Do you want to call in sick? We are going to be late...might as well just skip the day,” suggests Yerin as they stuck in the morning traffic jam.

”Would love to, but...” responds SinB, showing her girlfriend the text that she just got from the third year resident she is pairing with for the week.

Yerin sighs. SinB does the same. They haven’t got the chance to hang out lately because of their schedule. It’s either they are working the same shift, or the opposite shift, but their off day has not matched in weeks. So, Yerin’s suggestion is very tempting for both of them but they can’t afford to indulge themselves. So, the only thing they can do is, embrace the time they have, doesn’t matter how little time there is. SinB gently places her hand on Yerin’s, interlocking their fingers, caressing them tenderly.

Yerin stares at their interlocking fingers and smiles slyly, wiggling her brows suggestively at SinB. SinB blushes. Nowadays, SinB always blushes easily from Yerin’s sly innuendoes. Worry not, she only gets easily blush but her hands are as quick and agile as before.

”Uhh appa! Nomu appa, jagiya...” cries Yerin over a little too hard smacking she received.

”It’s not! Stop being a cry baby,” rebuts SinB, pretending not too care while peeking at Yerin’s precious surgeon’s arm. Yerin doesn’t say anything and just cries silently, making SinB flustered. 

“Where? Where does it hurt? I’m sorry, hey, hey, stop crying. Show me where does it hurt? What can I do?” asks the flustered SinB.

“Here. Kiss me, please?” responds Yerin, pursing her lips at SinB.

“Kiss Yerin! Kiss Yerin! Kiss Yerin!” chants the person asking to be kissed.

SinB assesses the request and factors involving in fulfilling the request. As much as she wanted to give Yerin what she wants, she is not going to risk their lives over it. Instead, SinB kisses her fingers and gently places the fingers onto Yerin’s lips, earning her a cute whining from Yerin and a harmless, playful bite on her fingers.

”Eyes on the road, hands on the wheels, please. We will pick this up later,” says SinB sternly.

**

SinB’s day goes by in a second. It was a hectic day as she is stationed in the ICU for this rotation. It has to be today that all three patients under her care coded and needed resuscitation. SinB is walking down the hallway towards the cafeteria when her hand being grabbed and she helplessly let herself being pulled into a break room. Her feet and hands are too tired from running and standing, compressing the patient’s chest, maintaining pumping the Ambu bag while others work their wonders. 

“Yerin?!” asks SinB half-screaming upon seeing the woman simpering giddily under the dim light of the break room.

”What are you doing?” SinB asks again, now in a lower voice.

”You said we’ll pick it up later?” asks Yerin dumbfoundedly.

SinB almost let out a scream, disbelieved by what she just heard. Yerin takes what she said literally. And she is too tired to be angry at her and to even think what is the appropriate response to what just occurred. This is exhilarating but she is just too tired. As SinB is thinking, Yerin guides her to the bed and lots of thing come into her mind, nasty things at it. So, she just follows the woman's lead and lays on the bed, resting her head against the metal bed frame.

Yerin without saying a word, places her hand on SinB's now shoeless feet. Gently, Yerin's fingers work their wonders. They move ups and downs SinB's feet, moves in circular motion, pushing the right part with the right amount of pressure, sending shivers ups her spine. Yerin doesn't stop there, the woman trails slowly upwards and now her hands are on SinB's calf. With the same care she pours at SinB's feet, Yerin does it again and the effect is also the same. Yerin brings SinB to a land she has never been to. Every single fibre in her body tenses and relaxes upon being touched by Yerin's magical hands. Her breathing changes from erratic to slow and calm, all thanks to Yerin. With all the care Yerin showers her with, SinB feels overwhelmed that at one point, she can't remember what she feels or even anything that happens other than the feeling of relieved. SinB gets lost in the feeling with a smile. 

"Yerin?" SinB calls for Yerin when she opens her eyes and Yerin is not where she was.

SinB gets up and sits on the bed, looking around the room to find Yerin. However, the woman is no where to be found. She fishes out her phone in the pocket and sees a text message. She reads the text message that she received about 30 minutes ago from Yerin. SinB blushes by herself. Apparently, she has fallen asleep while Yerin was giving her a foot rub and the woman had to leave because of an emergency case. So, what she felt was from a foot rub and not from any ual that she had believed so. It was a bummer but also embarrassing for her for thinking something that inappropriate while still in the hospital, their work place.  All she could do is blush and replies the text with an apology and a thank you, which was not read and replied as usual when Yerin is working. 

****

"Hey, I am here and we are finally together, here!" 

SinB's eyes grow wild when Jackson enthusiastically greets her in the hallway of the hospital at the top of his lung, as if he is announcing to the whole hospital. She just smiles and whispers to him to keep it down seeing that they are in a hospital and not in a night market. SinB tries to dismiss Jackson as soon as possible by walking away, pretending to be busy. And this is what she aims to do every single time she run into Jackson in the hospital. Or so she thought it would be. In the very moment they bump into each other, her mother calls Jackson and ask to talk to them both. 

"When you get off work, come home with Jackson. We'll celebrate Jackson's first day in the program, I'm cooking something special. Come home right after work."

SinB sighs, and without any word, walk away towards any place other than the hallway where Jackson is. She can already see how difficult it would be for her and Yerin after this. Especially for her to avoid engaging in any form of contacts with Jackson and if she had to, to prevent Jackson from talking about them. It would be tiring, but she needs to consider Yerin's feeling and of course because she too doesn't like it. 

Appa, you are still on my side, aren't you?

***