A million pieces

The Flower In My Garden

If only he knew things would lead to this affair.

Jungkook was sitting on his bed, hands tugging at his hair in annoyance. Never had he been this distress, it felt like the last piece of sanity was slowly slipping away from him, but he couldn’t care less. His mind was too occupied by the name, the name that he would never grow tired of speaking, the name that had the tendency to put a smile on his face. He was not lying when he told the boy, for him, he is the most beautiful person. How could he lie about something so prepossessing to someone so enchanting. Everything the boy did was breath-taking in jungkook’s eyes. Even the slightest gesture would knock the air out of his lungs. Jungkook was so defenceless in front of him, like a knight who wouldn’t hesitate to take off his shining armour just to feel his beloved press against him. The boy could always hit his soft spot, he was so helpless, but he willed.

“Jimin” the name rolled off his tongue.

The image of jimin looking all ashen invaded his mind without warning. The boy was as white as the primrose you would find blooming under the most gentle breeze, and even under the storm, she would still stay brave, as beautiful as always. But it came to a day she was being plucked mercilessly by the hand that wished to bring her home, to cultivate her. The hand never knew she would wilt right away, he cried, wished he had known her better.

Jungkook wished he had known jimin better.
He turned his head to the left wanting to catch a glimpse of the boy, but all came into view was just an empty bed. For a moment, he forgot jimin was in the intensive care unit.

☆☆☆

In the midst of reading one of jimin’s novels, the door creaked opened startling jungkook. His physique acted faster than his mind. He ran towards the door expecting a smiley jimin to ran into his arms like he always did. Jungkook had so much to tell, to tell the boy how much he missed him even if they were apart for not more than twenty-four hours, to tell the boy how sorry he is for a thousand times, until jimin’s ears bleed and would smack his arms softly asking him to stop. In the end, he knew jimin will always forgive him.

“Ji.......” his words left hanging in the air.

There was no jimin.

A woman in her late 40’s was standing by the door. Hazel eyes, small button nose, thin lips covered in pink lip gloss. Her long curly hair was being tied into a pony tail and she was in her formal attire. Her petite face with pointed chin reminded jungkook of the boy he missed. Jungkook approached her and bowed.

“Are you the Jeon Jungkook?” she asked in a dead tone.

“Y...yes, ma’am” jungkook stuttered.

“Jungkook, I am a very straightforward person and I have no time to waste. I am here to ask you to stay away from jimin. Let’s say he has been constantly in pain since your arrival. I need no explanation from you since it will just waste my time. But please, don’t ever step close to my son” she turned around and was about to leave when jungkook stopped her.

“But ma’am, I know I was wrong. I didn’t know jimin enough and was too careless. I promise I will try to be gentle with him. Please give me a chance, please” the boy was so close to begging, voice quivered in anxiety.

Jimin’s mother turned around, the same blank expression was still wearing on her face.

“I don’t trust kids who dye their hair” she glanced at the mop of brunette not feeling pleased.

“But I am his friend” jungkook stepped forward. “ And ma’am I am sorry but you shouldn’t have this stereotype, I am not a bad guy”

“Jimin doesn’t need a friend like you” she gave no chance.

Jungkook never knew his heart would ache so much. It felt like it was being clenched by a hand and squeezed it harshly to the point the pressure was too much to endure. It was then being scratched by the sharp fingernails leaving it covered in wounds.

Jungkook clenched both his jaw and fists, trying his best not to break down.

Followed by the closing of the door, his heart broke into a million pieces.

☆☆☆

Jungkook was standing by the window, gaze fixed on the winter blossom when the door was being opened again.

He didn’t turn around but closed his eyes trying to focus on the footsteps approaching him. They were firm and uniform, like the thudding of a horse, powerful yet calming, there were not jimin’s. Jimin’s footsteps were always gentle and graceful, as balletic as a contemporary dancer, as light as the butterfly landing on a stigma.

“It always blooms in the late December, but shows no sign of being alive this time, even if it is already the second month of the year” the doctor spoke up standing beside the brunette.

“Does jimin love winter blossom a lot?”

“Not really, but definitely loves this one since it is his only company for five years”

“So silly” jungkook laughed. “He should just make friends”

“Jungkook” the doctor paused.

“Jimin is here for five years. Five years, who will stay for such a long time? He is afraid of losing, thus he doesn’t want to own any”

Neither of them spoke, the chattering of the patients could be heard.

“Doctor” jungkook broke the silence. “Please tell me what kind of disease he has, why is he so weak? What should we do for him? Can we please at least do something for him?”

The doctor heaved a sigh. “Acute myelogenous leukemia”

“What?”

“AML for short. It is very common among children and adults. Eighty percent of jimin’s blood cell can’t function normally, it requires aggressive and timely treatment”

“But am I not the same?”

“Yours is different jungkook. You have realised it in the earliest stage, and chronic leukemia is not as serious as acute, your transplant can be carried out by next month”

“What about jimin?”

“The rate of a successful transplant may not be high, but we hope for the best”

Jungkook kept quiet, not wanting to talk about it any longer.

“Jimin has moved out of the intensive care unit. The change of room was demanded by his mum, he is now in 402”

Jungkook was taken aback, he didn’t expect things would have escalated this fast.

“But...aren’t you not supposed to tell?”

Grabbing the doorknob, the doctor turned around and smiled at the boy.

“At least jimin is more cheerful having you by his side”

Jungkook stood still, eyes lingered on the leather shoes stepping out of the room.