A withered flower

The Flower In My Garden

They were currently on the second floor where the cafeteria was placed. Jimin lead jungkook to the staircase instead of the elevator.

“Why are we using the stairs this time, Barbie? It is tiring to walk” jungkook spoke lazily as a way to protest.

“We can’t take the elevator to the basement, jungkook. It is only for the staff. We can’t let others see where we are heading”

“The basement?”

“Yes, the basement”

“But how are we supposed to get some cool air under the whole building? We might suffocate and die!”

“No we won’t, jungkook. Trust me”

“I have no choice but to trust you from the very beginning. Well, if I am going to die, at least I die with the most beautiful person I encountered in my life” jungkook blurted out unknowingly but immediately zipped his mouth when realisation hit him like a truck.

Jimin was mortified, frozen to the spot, blushing would have been an understatement. From the side, jungkook could see jimin’s ears as red as the beetroot. As if jungkook had suddenly an internal heater inside his system, pale skin slowly turned from a ghastly white to a shade of ripe strawberry. Jungkook could feel himself burning from head to toe, face burned bright enough to outshine the sun, mind scattered like a scared rabbit. Jimin’s fingertips were dancing in jungkook’s palm. Even the slightest touch would create sparks giving jungkook electric shock.
Jungkook tightened his grip and cleared his throat.

“Let...let’s keep going”

☆☆☆

The basement was not illuminated like upstairs. The space was poorly lit and it was a little hard to focus on distanced objects. Jungkook’s stomach churned recalling the scenes in horror movies showing how spirits might appear in myriad ways. He could hear the thumping of his heart against his chest, fingers curled into a fist, nails digging into his palm. He thought he could almost hear the oxygen flooding in and out of his lungs. Their footsteps broke the serenity of silence.

“We are here jungkook” without jungkook realising, they had arrived.

Brushing his bangs stuck to his sweaty forehead, he shifted his gaze upwards. A huge pair of metal door fell into his sight welcoming the lad.

“Here?” jungkook questioned. “Are we supposed to go in?”

“No, we can’t go in there. The doors are locked” jimin shrugged looking at the gigantic doors towering over the both of them.

Jungkook stepped forward and tried to push open them but to no avail. There was a huge gap under the door with an estimation of six inches. Air seeping out from the gap was bitterly cold, it almost felt sub-zero. Jungkook never expected a punny jimin, having a small and frail frame, to visit this place all the time by himself. All alone, exposed and unprotected. Five years was indeed too long. Jungkook wondered how did the boy overcome all his hardships. Jimin was like a rose with thorns, a strong character under his soft appearance.

“Where is here Barbie? What’s in there? Why are the doors locked?”

“It’s a room for those in this hospital too” jimin smiled sheepishly, not answering all of the questions.

Jungkook grew agitated.

“Please tell me what is this place jimin. Stop being so mysterious it is frightening”

Jimin leaned in and tiptoed to reach his ears. As if not terrifying enough, jimin’s words sent shivers down his spine.

“It is the mortuary” jungkook’s heart dropped.

Without hesitation, he grabbed jimin’s hand and began running towards the staircase, making a haste to reach the entrance. Jungkook was like lightning, rapid and tough, always in a dash. But he forgot jimin was a flower with soft petals that would break easily in the wind.

After running up four flight of stairs without stopping, finally, jungkook slowed down his pace and took a deep breath. When he thought he left the freezing air behind, the cold his hand was gripping on tugged at the root of his hair. He quickly turned around to examine the boy he neglect. Before he could give a single response, jimin ran into his arms clutching his gown firmly. His breathing fanning against jungkook’s neck was too shallow to detect. Jungkook wrapped his arms around jimin’s waist.

“Jimin...” jungkook’s voice cracked.

Like a withered flower, the pretty boy collapsed.