Barbie

The Flower In My Garden

Jimin lied. He had no idea on what happiness is, how happiness feels. All he knew was that he will never have a friend, when he thought he had, they left and never came back.

It was 10 in the morning and the breeze was caressing his hair softly. He had a strong will to go down to the meadow to take a walk but he couldn’t. He was imprisoned inside his fragile physique. He could blame no one, so he blamed everything on himself. When he was reaching out for a book on his bedside shelf, the door was swung opened harshly sending another gust of wind. Jimin trembled and the book fell off his hand. The loud thud of the book falling startled him causing him to gasp.

The nurse rushed in to close the window and the doctor wrapped a blanket around him. Jimin was being treated like some royalty, the new comer made a face.

“Don’t catch a cold, jimin” the doctor said furrowing his brows. Jimin was overwhelmed by guilt for making everyone worried.

A cough from the door caught jimin’s attention and he shifted his position to get a clearer view. A tall boy around his age was walking towards his direction. Getting closer, jimin could see a pair of doe eyes under his thick eyebrows. A pointy nose making him look arrogant and a small mouth with a tiny mole under his lower lips. His well-defined jaw was being clenched and he looked nowhere close to friendly. Jimin felt weak and exposed under his intense stare. Gripping onto the blanket, he tried to hide himself under it.

“Jimin this is the new patient I mentioned yesterday. His name is jungkook”

Jimin nodded a little, eyes still fixated on the floor. Jungkook was studying jimin and no one spoke a single word. Sighing, the doctor broke the silence by telling jungkook his bed was right next to jimin’s. Jungkook blurted out a ‘thanks’ and plopped down on the bed fishing out his phone from the pocket of his hospital gown. Jungkook’s behaviour disappointed the doctor when he thought jimin would finally have someone to talk to.

“Jimin I am leaving. Press the emergency button if you need anything”

Again, jimin nodded. His eyes lingered on the doctor until he disappeared on the other side of the door. Jimin looked at jungkook carefully from the corner of his eyes. The boy was concentrating on his phone, not a single glance was spared at the smaller.
Jimin bit his lips, got down from his bed and picked up the book he dropped.

☆☆☆

He was so used to the silence, so used to the chirping of the birds, the swaying of the tree, the sound of the sun shining.

Jimin was standing by the window listening attentively. They sang only for him, he listened only for them. That was the most captivating thing that jimin had ever encountered. The feeling of owning something, having something to hold on to before closing his eyes every night. Being able to wake up every morning never failed to bring him surprise. So astonishing, able to get kissed by the sun on the cheeks, hair dancing in the wind. Even the slightest bit of phenomenon, he would never not to appreciate. Facing the winter blossom, he beamed.

Jungkook was studying jimin from his back. Trying to speculate but thoughts got carried away by the breeze. For him, jimin looked like a bisque doll. Brownish black hair, pale and skinny. He thought he could almost see through his skin, silky smooth, pallid. The fact that he didn’t even try to initiate a talk with jungkook agitated him. Everyone in school was dying to befriend him, but he was more than nothing in jimin’s eyes. Defeated, he raised his voice.

“Barbie!” he called out. Jimin didn’t even flinch.

Jungkook cursed under his breath.

“Hey you! Are you deaf? Can’t you hear me?” jungkook got down from his bed and walked towards the smaller.

His footsteps snapped jimin out of his senses. His daydreams scattered. Fiddling with his hospital gown, finally, he turned around and faced jungkook in the crook of his neck.