Chapter 5

Once an Ambivert
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I fixed the mic on the stand before sitting on the stool beside Jisoo oppa who was busy tuning his guitar with his friend Jihoon-ssi who was also setting up beside him. I tapped on the mic to see if it was on, which also got some of the people's attention. 

It's Friday night and my 1st set of exams just came to an end. To be honest, I feel nauseous right now. But my nervousness faded away when my eyes landed on Jieun eonnie who was standing beside her cousin, who came to check out tonight's attempt at our indoor entertainment. 

"Good evening everyone. I'm Jisoo," "I'm Eun." "Tonight we will be performing our first song of the night. So sit back, relax, and We hope that you'll like it." Jisoo oppa smiled at everyone, including me. I waited for his cue, looking at him as he lightly tapped on the wooden frame 3 times before he started strumming. 

I closed my eyes, feeling the music echo and enter my body while immersing my emotions before singing. Our first song of the night is titled Time and fallen leaves by Akdong Musician. Which I personally think really suited the current atmosphere of the cafe. 

The sun is setting on the east side of the city, which perfectly lit the inside of the cafe. The already peach walls of the place just turned a warmer color because of the rays of the sun seeping in from the glass windows, that we opened for people to see what was going on inside. 

The weather too, was a mixture of warm and cold. I mean, it is already mid September. Autumn is just around the corner so again, the song is just perfect. Plus it's a duet. 

Despite studying for two sets of exams both in music and science,  I managed to practice for our performance tonight with the very little spare time that I had while preparing for school.

There isn't much to study in music anyway,  just your basic terms and history. Freshman stuff. For science however, since I am in my fourth year. I had struggle with my other subjects. That's why with all these, I told my friends, my parents, and my boyfriend, that I'd be off the grid for the time being. And it took me almost 10 days. 

My parents, of course didn't say much about me going offline because well studies comes first, everything else goes second for them. My friends... they're already used to it. My boyfriend however, was surprisingly calm about it. 

I thought he would be freaking out on the second day, but he surprised me on the fifth day instead. He stayed with me for the next two days, watched me review, and was really helpful and supportive with my academics. 

There was even this time when I was already blankly staring at my notebook, then he took it from me and read it out loud for me to listen. He knows that I understand better when I'm listening than when I'm reading. 

I thought it was pretty sweet. Because when he saw me confused and all, he slowed down and repeated the words a few more times until I wasn't frowning because I wasn't confused anymore. 

He was really bored at home. Some of the guys went to school, some went out to meet their own friends and families. Some just stayed at home catching up with laziness. And then there's him, who came to help me review for my exams. It was really, really sweet of him. Thinking about it now, I still get giggly about it. 

If you think he didn't interrupt me at some point, well he actually did. One night, when he was about to leave, I wasn't really paying that much attention because I was in the zone with my reviewing. He got grumpy because of that so he stayed and made me notice him. *cough*

I was lying in bed, flat on my stomach, when he suddenly hovered over me and then grabbed my .

"I thought you left?" I asked, looking at him and feeling suddenly shy because he was on all fours trapping me under him. "Your was inviting." He smiled. I coughed at how blunt he said that. 

I was wearing black leggings and my brother's old hoodie, which I am only noticing now that it went up to my ribs. "Why so shy?" He tilted his head to the side, still smiling at me. "Nothing." I muttered, feeling slightly . 

"Don't mind me. I'll just have some alone time with your instead."  He grinned sarcastically. Kang Daniel, really... Biting back my laugh, I turned my body to face him. I pulled him down and gave him a long and apologetic kiss on the cheek. "You can still stay, or not. Totally up to you." I smiled at him when he pulled away and looked at me. 

"If I'm staying, you're gonna have to stop looking at that book. Just an hour of course. " he said, looking at the book then back at me. I shrugged my shoulders in reply. "I can do three hours." I said while rubbing my finger over his cheekbone and finally making him smile. 


We sat on the bed. He was leaning on the headboard and I was leaning on his chest, in between his long legs. I wanted to stop reviewing for the time being, simply because I was exhausted to even think anymore. But he laid the book on my lap and bent my knees so that we could still read it. 

"This is a school book. Not harry potter." I said to him when he momentarily stopped reading to flip the page. He laughed. "True. But I really don't want to interrupt you. I just came here to be with you." He said, leaning his cheek on my temple then kissing it. 

"My brain stopped functioning 30 minutes ago. I want to sleep." I said, closing the book and putting that on the side. Pulling the blanket, I wrapped myself with it and snuggled on my boyfriend's huge physique. 

"You want me to wake you up later?" He asked, pulling away the strands of hair away from my face. "No. Let's just sleep for 10 hours." I said, snuggling closer when he laughed. 

He suddenly sat me up and moved so that we could be side by side. When he laid on the bed, he pulled me down on top of him. Then he pulled my knee to tangle my leg with his, and he wrapped my arm around his waist, and then...he made his chest my pillow. 

"I'll be here when you wake up." he whispered while rubbing my arm. "No guarantee that I'll be reading that book again." I smiled, closing my eyes and pulling him closer to me if it was even possible. 

That night, I didn't get back to it. I only read it again the following morning, but I have no regrets whatsoever.  If anything, I'm glad he was there. He was my personal stress reliever at the same time my distraction, but more of the stress reliever part. How could he have been a distraction when he was literally there forcing me to study when I myself didn't want to. 

And thank God he helped me, because I almost was so much at ease when I took all of my exams. All the stuff he read to me came out on the exams. And the tricks he did to help me remember actually stuck in my head, making it a lot more easy for me. He's honestly too perfect as a boyfriend it worries me sometimes if I can live up to the title as his girlfriend. 


Shaking my head of the insecure thought I went back to focus on my singing. This is not the right time nor place to get emotional over your insecurities Choi Eun, keep it together. 

The thought of talking to my two best friends suddenly popped in my head making me miss them even more than a minute ago. I called Dahyun last week but... God, I just wish they were here right now. 

Oh. You also must be wondering what happened on the first Friday night that we performed. Well...

"Eonnie, I look ok right?" I asked Jieun eonnie who was behind me setting up the stage for us. "Yes Eun. For the millionth time. You look decent and pretty. So come help me with this already." She called, waving her hand for me to come to her and help her with the stools. 

I took one while she took another, I didn't expect them to be this heavy. Gosh, I suddenly feel awful for her who brought this down from upstairs. 

"Eun!" I turned to the owner of the voice and saw Seungkwan at the door. He waved his hand at me with a smile making me smile back,  when another man from behind him came inside. He really came. Huh. After all that bitterness, he actually came. 

"Sit anywhere you like. We'll be starting soon." I told Seungkwan and Wonwoo oppa, who immediately found a spot in the middle of the crowd. Seats were filling up. It was crazy really because most of them were high school girls. I don't think I need to explain much though. Jieun eonnie's proud yet annoyed face said it all. 

I watched these girls suddenly start whispering when my senior came in. Their attention went from the flower angel guitarist Jisoo oppa to the charismatic chic looking Wonwoo oppa. I literally felt Seungkwan roll his eyes when he felt the crowd stare at their table, and with much discomfort, he stood up and went to me. 

"Come sit with us please." He pleaded softly. I held back my laughter at his pouting face. "I have to get ready." I said to him. "No you don't. Just go sit there. Seungkwan can stay with me." 

Jieun eonnie pulled Seungkwan to her and ordered him to help her with serving and making the drinks. Seungkwan and Jieun eonnie know each other way back. They went to the same highschool, obviously Seungkwan was a lower classman of Jieun eonnie. 

And since I had nothing else to do, and I was quite curious why the cold man decided to show up. I walked to his table and sat on Seungkwan's seat. He was looking at me the whole time I went to him. I've gotten used to it now. With much observation,  I noticed that he stares at things he finds interesting. Like a cat, or a kid playing with bubbles, or a mascot handing out flyers. 

"What's with that face?" He frowned when I was looking at him with much amusement.  "Nothing."  I chuckled.  "I didn't expect you to actually come tonight. Thank you." I smiled at him. 

He blinked his eyes at me then suddenly turned elsewhere, but I didn't fail to notice that his ears went red. "I didn't want to review for my exams yet, and I had time to kill so I came." He said, still not looking at me. "Right." I laughed.

"I thought you were mad at me or something." I quietly said. Finally, he turned to face me again this time looking confused. "Why would you think that?" He asked. I bit the inside of my cheek, contemplating whether I should tell him or not but decided to just go for it. "You've been cold towards me lately." I said. 

After that time when he drove us from my house to school, he was giving me the cold shoulder for the following days. We talked less. We didn't hang out. We only have 2 subjects together this term and during those classes, he was either quietly sitting beside me or sitting beside Soonyoung sunbae while I was with Seungkwan. 

At first I thought he was still mad about the meds, but It went on for days. And I honestly think that if that was his reason, he was way too sensitive and I don't like dealing with people who are troublesome for me. So I went with his game of cold shouldering people. 

"I just have a lot on my mind lately. I'm sorry if I scared you." He said, giving me that apologetic smile of his. "I wasn't scared..." I sighed. "I was worried if I did something wrong to piss you off, or if this was some sign of hatred towards me."  I did think about that, with all honesty. 

Maybe he was starting to feel resentful because I was treating him so much as a friend when I turned him down. Maybe he was starting to see how wrong it is for me to ask him to be friends when he even told me that he wasn't going to give up just because I'm not single.  

"Eun, why would I hate you? I told you I like you and I'm not going to stop just because you like somebody else." Sigh. I love somebody else, not simply like. I love Daniel oppa already, and too much for that matter. "It was just a thought." I answered his question with an awkward smile. 

"Eun. You're up." Jieun eonnie called me from the counter. I turned back to Wonwoo oppa and asked him to wish me luck,  which he did. I went on stage and sat beside Jisoo oppa who also sat down and took his guitar from the stand before he introduced us for the very first time. 

We sang the most classic duet song, Some by Junggigo and Soyou. Then after that, we sang two more songs, Yanghwa Bridge by Zion.T and Beautiful by Crush, before taking a short water break. But before we did, we handed out a survey on what songs would the crowd want to listen to when we get back. 

Looking at the amount of small folded pieces of paper, we decided to randomly draw 5 random pieces of paper and checked if we could sing them or not. Luckily, we did all 5. 3 of them were english and it was a really good pic too. 

I was impressed because the crowd took our survey seriously, suggesting songs that were really good for the cafe's ambiance and easy to sing too. We even talked about going over the other suggestions some other time. 

When we finished with a total of 8 songs, the crowd asked for one last song. And since it was our first night and we were feeling great, we said yes. 

Our final song was Soulmate, by Zico and IU. Guess who rapped though? Hmm. 

"How did you even think about switching the parts? That was amazing!" Jieun eonnie beamed when we went down the stage and to where she was. "Babe. You know I can't rap. Obviously someone had to do it." Jisoo oppa said, plopping on the swirling stool and slowly spinning around. "And I know all the lyrics. Oppa knows IU's parts,  no surprise there." I bit back my laughter when Jisoo oppa threw me a warning stare. 

"I'm just glad this went well, cheers to you two." Jieun eonnie smiled, bringing out large mugs of beer for us. I stared at it for a long time. "I don't think I should be drinking." I said to them after I took one sip. 

"Oh right. You're driving. Sorry." Jieun eonnie said, taking back the beer. "And I have to start preparing for my exams tonight." I said. "With that said, I should get going." standing up, I patted their hands when they started groaning at me. 

"Boo you. Start tomorrow." Jisoo oppa said. "I have 2 sets of exams. I need all the time I can get." Putting on my jacket, and taking my bag from Jieun eonnie who took it out from under the counter.  "How are we going to practice?" He asked. "Mmm. What are we singing next week?" I asked instead. 

"Time and fallen leaves, Spring Day, and Sandglass. Just those three first. I'll text you for updates."  He grinned. My eyes narrowed. Did I hear him right?  "Sandglass? As in..." "Yes. Wanna one." he smiled. "But that's piano." my lips curled at him. 

"I have a friend who can help me with that." patting my shoulder, he smiled reassuringly. I nodded my head slowly. I trust Jisoo oppa's words so I guess this will work out. "Ok then. I'll go now." I said, giving them both a wave of my hand while they pouted and waved back. 

Just when I was about to leave, Jisoo oppa called me. "Hey Eun." I raised my brows, smiling at him. He raised his closed fist at me and said, "Good work today."  I grinned back, returning the fist bump before I really did leave the cafe. 

When I went out, I saw Seungkwan and Wonwoo oppa standing outside.  Walking towards them, I stopped and nudged them both. "Leaving already?" Wonwoo oppa asked, looking surprised to see me outside. "Yes. We have exams." I chuckled.

"Well. I was just about to leave as well." Seungkwan said, lightly punching my arm. I looked at him. "What?" I asked. He batted his lashes at me and smiled. "Can you give me a ride home?" He asked not so cutely. 

"Come on Seungkwan, she performed tonight. I'll give you a ride."  Wonwoo oppa said, putting his arm around Seungkwan's neck. 

"Since when did you two become so close?" I asked them with much amusement. I've never seen them act like this before at school. "Since he asked me to tell the first years that you were dating someone." Seungkwan answered. My eyes doubled in size. "you what?!" I said a little too loudly towards my senior. 

"Seungkwan!" Wonwoo oppa pushed the man hard making him stumble to the side. "To tell you honestly,  that just came out of my mouth. I'm sorry." The lad blurted.  

"What did you tell them?" I asked, freaking out and panicking.  "That you're dating someone. That's it." Seungkwan answered, picking his ears because two people were shouting at him. 

"I need to talk to you." I faced my senior as I said those words through gritted teeth. He flinched when I looked at him. "I...will go now. I'll ride a taxi." Seungkwan said, patting our shoulders then running off to the side of the road to hail a cab while I lead my senior to somewhere more private. 


W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter