Where Hearts Lay

This is My Love

◊◊◊◊◊

“Think you can be a little more discreet?” Joonseok eyed him when he walked in.

“What?” Sehun asked.

Tugging out some tissues from the box Joonseok tossed the papers at him. “Wipe your mouth, you jerk. I don’t want to know about your hot morning.”

Sehun frowned at his colleague before grabbing his phone to use as a mirror. He wasn’t wrong. Namjoo’s lipstick had smeared his mouth. He laughed happily at the memory and began scrubbing the stains away.

It had been quite the kiss. He had enjoyed every second of it. If they were a little closer, he might have climbed over the drive stick to be with her. Like giddy teenagers they had left off with a promise of lunch. And he couldn’t wait to see her again.

“Stop smiling,” Joonseok stared at him. “What are you, in a relationship now?”

“In fact, yes.” Sehun looked up from his phone. “She’s very pretty, too.”

Interested, Joonseok slid over. “Picture?”

“It’s kind of rated.”

Joonseok smacked his arm.

“Joking,” Sehun chuckled.

“So, where’d you meet her?” Joonseok wondered. “This woman that has you suddenly wired.”

“She’s my son’s friend’s mother.”

The colleague blinked lost, confused. “What? A mother?”

“You’ve a problem with that?”

“No, no,” he shook his head rapidly. Saying more acceptably, “So, a mother.”

Ignoring his surprise, Sehun said, “Gunta loves her. She’s great with him.”

“She is,” Joonseok agreed with the obvious, “a mother.”

Sehun flatly stared at him realizing that Joonseok was turned off after finding out Namjoo was a mother. “Whatever. What are we doing today?”

He didn’t care. A woman didn’t need to be single to be attractive. What mattered most to him was the innate qualities Namjoo possessed. The plus side, she was pretty and looked great in whatever she wore. The thought made him bite his lower lip. Next time when they went on a date, he’d ask her to wear a dress.

◊◊◊◊◊

Pretty. He watched Namjoo walk toward him with his heart on fire. In a plain black jacket, business pants, and a white blouse. She was so pretty he couldn’t keep his eyes off her.

“Hi,” he greeted immediately taking her hand. To show others she was his girlfriend.

“You’re here early,” she commented.

“Nah, I’m just nearby,” he grinned as they turned to head into the restaurant. The smell of Japanese food assaulted his senses. At the front door a greeter led them to a table for two. Water arrived and their order was taken. Namjoo ordered udon. He chose shrimp tempura and ordered sushi for them to share.

“Want to come over?” he asked once they started digging in. “I can make dinner.”

Namjoo glanced at him and hesitated.

“What?” he worried. Did he say something wrong?

“I invited Daehwi over.” She looked at him guiltily. He felt his heart sink fast and tried not to let it show on his face. “Moowon mentioned him the other day. I feel like it might be a step forward.” She hesitated again as if unsure to explain, “They haven’t been doing so well. You know…”

“It’s fine,” he insisted. “I understand.”

But he didn’t.

He honestly didn’t.

Why did she have to see Moowon’s father when she had him?

Her evening should be spent with him.

◊◊◊◊◊

Sehun had said it was ok, so Namjoo tried not to worry whether she was doing the right thing. She was tempted upon his invitation. Dinner with him and Gunta would be nice. Sounded utmost relaxing and like something out of a dream. She’d take any second to be with Sehun, but Moowon mattered more. She wanted him on good terms with his dad. It was important to her that he had a father he could rely on. Daehwi promised to fit the bill, so she had to trust him.

He was free today. He’d texted her, so she had invited him over for dinner. See if he could try to hang out with Moowon. If it didn’t work out…well, there was next time. One day, eventually Moowon would accept him again.

They were family.

Namjoo picked up Moowon early and went shopping with him. Letting him pick out one item of his choice before they left. He chose pocky sticks. To share with Gunta he said. To hear him say that warmed her heart. Even if he found Sehun hard to like at least he liked Gunta.

“Keep those well. We’ll bring those to daycare for Gunta, ok?” Namjoo said opening the door to let him inside and lugged the rest of the grocery in with her. Placing them on the table with a heave. One glance into the living room to make sure Moowon was there she went to work.

A good way through dinner preparation the doorbell buzzed. Daehwi greeted her with a smile at the door. No flowers this time. Good.

“Moowon, look who’s here?” Namjoo called out after closing the door. Her son turned to look at their visitor. No reaction. Still quiet Moowon turned away to focus on the toy in his hand.

“At least he’s not crying?” Daehwi said remaining hopeful.

Namjoo cautiously scanned her son aware he was listening to their every move. She had to be very careful with Daehwi or else anything they did would set Moowon off. That meant she couldn’t be angry with him. Couldn’t intentionally pick his bone. Had to use all her will to control herself.

She was doing this for Moowon. And also, because she hoped Daehwi was keeping his word this time around. She had to try and start somewhere. Trust he could change. Trust she could change.

No getting angry she reminded herself.

“I’m just making dinner,” she said as if he’d wondered. “How’s work?”

“I think I have a buyer,” he gladly shared. “Now I move on to my next project.”

“And where’s that?” she glanced up from the stove.

“I’ll find out.”

“So, it’s not clear where you’re heading?” Namjoo asked with concern.

“I’ll figure it out.”

She about nitpicked about his unsteady career, but reminded herself to remain calm. No point in making judgement. Telling him nothing was certain for him, had ever been, will ever be. She was riling herself up. in a breath she calmed herself.

“How’ve you been?” Daehwi asked. “I thought maybe we could try having dinner sometime. The two of us. I know someone who can watch Moowon for an hour or two.”

“I’m seeing someone,” Namjoo blurted without thinking. Catching herself a second too late.

Daehwi’s eyes zoomed in on her. “You’re…seeing someone?”

She sensed his dismay as the gaze in his eyes changed. It wasn’t the kind of news he’d been fishing for. On the other hand, she was tired of repeating herself.

Giving him another chance did not mean she could love him the same.

Gulping, Namjoo tried to save herself. Nervously, “Did I make it sound that way?”

“You’re seeing someone.” A dead clear statement. Daehwi’s eyes landed on her. Sternly.

Namjoo blinked, flustered. “Well…yes.”

First, Daehwi scoffed. Murmured, “Unbelievable.” Looking at her dead on, “I can’t believe you. When you have me.”

Namjoo could have choked on air. Or maybe her own spit. Flabbergasted by what she just heard. “What?” To think he thought they had another chance after she already said letting him back into her life did not mean she forgave him for everything.

Never forgetting his demeaning words or that he’d abandoned her and their son.

“Who is he?” Daehwi demanded raising his voice. “Who are you seeing?”

Namjoo stared at him. Dumbfounded by his reaction. What the hell was he on?

“How can you do this to me?!” Daehwi shouted at her. Engulfed by his jealousy. The injustice of her moving on. He huffed, in air. “It’s him, isn’t it? The one from the daycare.”

Biting her tongue, Namjoo kept her silence. Feeling the room spin. Aware Moowon had turned to stare at them, but unable to process any action to her brain.

“I knew it! I just knew it!” Daehwi could be stamping his feet in his fit right now, but he continued to stare her down. Upset. Tormented that Moowon was right and she was about to replace him.

“Daehwi, stop.” Namjoo said calmly.

“He’s handsome, isn’t he? Is that why?!” Daehwi yelled at her.

“Daehwi,” Namjoo breathed with a frown wishing he’d listen.

“How is he better than me?” Daehwi demanded to know. “In what ways, Namjoo?”

Namjoo’s mouth gaped open when Moowon’s toy flew into Daehwi’s back landing on the floor with a noisy thud. Racing up to his father he began pounding his tiny fists into Daehwi’s legs. Screaming, “Don’t yell at my mommy! Don’t yell at my mommy!!”

Moowon glared up at his father defiantly. Standing his ground fiercely. It was the first time Namjoo was seeing him like that.

“Go away!” Moowon punched Daehwi in the kneecap. “Go away! Bad man!”

Her heart pounded louder inside her chest. She felt hurt. Wondered if Daehwi felt betrayed by his own son. Was he disappointed? Was he sad his son had him? Or was he angry their son had become like this? Was she to blame?

Springing into action, Namjoo skidded forward, falling onto her knees to pull Moowon into her arms. “Moowon, it’s ok. It’s ok. You can stop now.”

She breathed faster. This was so wrong. All wrong.

Why were they being such horrible parents?

Hugging him tighter, hand on the back of his head to hold him more protectively Namjoo glanced up at Daehwi. More apologetically than she meant to. Saying quietly, “You should go.”

Blinking, he looked away. Namjoo noted remorse. Regret. Finally shifting he shuffled out the door closing it quietly behind him.

That night, Moowon slept with her. He wouldn’t go to his room. Needing to stay by her side. He didn’t want to talk about his dad so Namjoo didn’t press him about it. During dinner Daehwi had texted. Apologizing. Hoping they could talk again. More civilly this time.

They needed to talk. The biggest denominal between them was that too much time had passed. Choosing to pop up now meant a lot of things had to change. A lot needed adjusting, so they could all fit into each other’s lives.

The biggest change being she was finally dating again.

◊◊◊◊◊

The one thing he looked forward to every morning was getting to see Namjoo. As soon as they arrived, he waited in the parking lot watching out for her car. They would walk in together with their children and walk back out together. Just the two of them. Five minutes alone with her was more than enough time to get his day going. No need for coffee.

His heart picked up when he spotted her car entering the parking lot. Taking Gunta’s hand he said, “Come on, buddy.”

Moowon hopped down from the back clutching a small box of pocky sticks against his chest. He grinned when he saw Gunta. Releasing his son, he listened to the boys croon over the chocolate. Attention veering at once onto Namjoo who gave him a pretty smile.

“Yummy yummy,” Gunta sing-songed as Moowon handed him another handful even though his mouth was still full.

Clumsily matching his mother’s footsteps while fully focused on his snacks, Moowon stood between them. Namjoo adjusted his shirt affectionately as they headed to the daycare. When they reached the building, he turned around to look at her. “Mommy?”

Bending down Namjoo squeezed him into a hug. Sehun watched the gesture feeling warmth spread through his heart. He’d always known she was so full of love.

“I’ll pick you up later ok? And then, you get to go play with Gunta.”

Upon hearing this, Gunta’s eyes shone with excitement. “Me?”

Laughing prettily, she said, “Yes. You can play with Moowon after daycare.”

Sehun wasn’t aware of the plans. Maybe Namjoo could elaborate to him on the way out. Expecting to leave immediately after the boys scurried inside, but Namjoo remained standing, watching. His eyes landed on her. Yearning for her attention.

“Come on.” He touched her hand. As they turned to walk away, he twined his fingers through hers.

“It’s ok if Moowon comes over?” Namjoo asked.

“I’m fine with it if you are.” Sehun replied.

“I mean just Moowon.” Namjoo emphasized.

He stopped and turned to look at her confused. “What do you mean just Moowon?”

“That’s what I meant.” Namjoo stated.

Sehun blinked once, twice as if he hadn’t fully grasped the concept of just Moowon. “What about you?”

“I’m going to see Daehwi.”

“What?” he breathed with disbelief. Not meaning to, but asking accusingly, “But you saw him yesterday.” Adding again, “For dinner. You spent an evening with him.”

“It didn’t actually turn out the way I expected,” Namjoo explained.

He blinked again. “Is there something I’m missing?”

Namjoo gave him a skewed smile, confused. “What are you talking about?”

“Why do you need to see him?” Sehun asked. “I thought you meant coming over, so we could spend an evening together.”

Her eyes landed fully on him. Gaze turning soft before she brushed her hand over his face and tiptoed to give him a peck. “You can’t be jealous, right?”

“No,” he denied, flustered.

“I can’t put this off with Daehwi,” Namjoo explained. “He wasn’t happy when I told him about us.”

“Why?” Sehun frowned. “What’s his problem?”

She grinned amused. “So, I have to talk to him. Us having a bad relationship affects Moowon and I want him to be able to get along with his dad.”

“Then you’ll come? I’ll cook dinner,” Sehun prompted.

“If it’s not too late.”

“You will,” he bargained. “I’ll wait for you even if the kids don’t.”

“Fine,” Namjoo gave in.

Victoriously grinning, Sehun kissed her. “I’ll walk you to your car.” where they kissed three more times before he reluctantly let her go.

This time he made sure to get rid of her lipstick stains before arriving at work. He picked Gunta up as usual and took him shopping. Picking up treats for him and Moowon. Still waiting for the day when Namjoo’s son would warm up to him. Then grabbing some fresh meat to cook praying Namjoo wouldn’t have to stay with Daehwi long.

Hurrying back home he waited for Namjoo to arrive. Hurriedly sweeping and cleaning up. Spraying air freshener around his home hoping his house would smell nice and inviting. Within the half hour the door bell rang.

“It’s ok, go on in,” Namjoo urged when Moowon stared up at him.

“Moowonie! Moowonie!” Gunta helped save him by running over. “I show you!” grabbing his best friend’s hand he led him into the living room to show off his new collection of dinosaurs.

Looking at Namjoo, “You really have to go?” Tempting her to stay, “I bought meat.”

“I can’t stay,” Namjoo said.

“I don’t want you to have to go see him,” Sehun said.

Reaching out to touch his hand she reminded, “You said you’d wait up for me.”

“I will,” he promised. Peering over his shoulder to make sure the boys were occupied he took a step forward to give her a kiss. “Fine, leave me.”

Grinning, Namjoo took a step back and held her hand up to wave before walking away. Closing the door, he headed into the kitchen to prepare a snack for the children. Completing a sandwich of cheese and ham he headed into the living room with the diagonal pieces. Gunta accepted his share greedily. On the other hand, as soon as he arrived Moowon jumped onto the couch scooting further from him.

“I don’t want,” he told when Sehun approached.

“Why not?” Sehun asked. “Gunta is eating. Don’t you want to eat like him?”

Moowon’s eyes jot to Gunta. Noticing, Gunta proudly held out his piece of the sandwich to show that he’d eaten this much of it. Eyes lowering, Moowon remained quiet.

“I’ll put it here,” Sehun said placing the plate onto the small table in front of the television, “so you can eat it when you want, ok?”

Still staring at the ground, Moowon muttered quietly, “Don’t like you.”

Sehun glanced at the boy. More seriously this time. “Why not?”

“You not my daddy. I don’t like you.” Moowon mumbled.


***I reread the oneshot and I wrote Moowon forgave his dad regardless of all his faults, so here we have it. He will eventually accept Daehwi again, but in his current phase he thinks Namjoo is trying to replace his dad in his mind. He's not used to his mom dating. It's kind of sad Moowon thinks he needs to protect his mom at his age. Adopting this persona at a young at from seeing how his parents interact definitely hurts him. At least Namjoo realizes that

***And I don't think I explained how Sehun's wife died yet, right? Cause I realized I did give her a cause of death in the oneshot hahah, so if I messed that up here forgive me cause I'm gonna write that in later. Right now, I have the ending figured out and just need to make my way towards it. Sorry for the delay in update! I've been working ;;