Not that Kind of Date

This is My Love

◊◊◊◊◊

The woman whose name he didn’t know opened the door again for them. Gasping, “What happened to you?”

Sehun followed Namjoo inside, set his folded umbrella to the side.

“Are the kids still asleep?” Namjoo asked. Her clothes were soaked through and through. Sehun debated about offering her his jacket, but it didn’t sound like a good idea.

“They are,” the woman replied then glanced at him warily.

“Thanks, Yurim,” Namjoo touched her arm. “You can go now.”

“Oh…yea,” Yurim muttered uncertainly. Passing by Namjoo went into where he guessed was her bedroom and closed the door to change. His eyes shifted over to the woman eyeing him curiously.

She didn’t head out the door but into the kitchen. Turning on the electric kettle she said, “The tea packets are in the cupboard right here. You know how to make tea?”

“Yes.”

“Then I’ll leave it to you,” Yurim said. Walking over to a chair she grabbed her sweater. “I’ll be leaving.”

The door opened and closed, and he was left with the kettle yet to boil. Making his way toward the cupboard as instructed Sehun spotted several boxes of tea. There were various kinds. Tea for muscle aches, green tea, chai tea, tea for vision improvement, tea for memory and so on. Going with his safest bet he pulled out a packet of green tea. Green tea was always good in his memory.

The kettle hissed steam as the water started boiling. Tearing open the packet Sehun took a mug from the dishrack and placed it inside. Then the door opened and Namjoo stepped out in fresh, dry clothes.

Leaving the door open a crack she told, “They’re still sleeping.”

“They must have tired themselves out,” he said.

“Are you cold?” she wondered.

“Huh?” Realizing what she was talking about he explained, “Your friend suggested making a cup of tea for you.”

Pressing her lips together, Namjoo pulled a chair out and settled in. The kettle automatically turned off after boiling. Sehun poured the hot water into the mug and turned around to place it in front of her. Deciding he would have to wait for Gunta he also pulled out a chair to sit down.

An air of silence surrounded them. Placing elbows on the table Namjoo rubbed the exterior of her mug. Her overly large sweater appeared fluffy around her. Dry now her hair was still damp.

“Did you hear everything?” Namjoo started.

“Only some,” he admitted.

An embarrassed smile crossed her lips. “I’m embarrassed. Sorry.”

It probably wasn’t all right to say it was ok. This was her moment and he had walked in on it.

“I’m divorced,” Namjoo confessed. Her eyes ran up the steaming mug, over the tabletop then back down. “I left home. It’s been just me and Moowon when he was barely six months.”

“I’m sorry,” Sehun apologized because he didn’t know what to say.

“We managed,” Namjoo said then glanced at him conceding, “the money I got helped me get up.”

Hearing this, he looked at her. When he got Gunta he hadn’t wondered what the money had been used for. Now he knew.

“I’m glad,” he smiled, “it helped.”

Turning away Namjoo lifted the mug to her lips and took a cautious sip. He watched still hearing her cursing her ex-husband. The exchange she’d shared with him hadn’t looked smooth sailing. There must be a lot on her mind, but he didn’t know what to say.

“Anyway,” Namjoo broke off the pending silence, “what business did you go do?”

For some reason he felt ashamed telling her, “My mom arranged a date for me.” Namjoo looked at him silently; not asking, not saying. “Gunta’s mother passed away.”

“Oh…” Namjoo’s turn to go speechless. “I’m sorry.”

“We’ve managed, too,” Sehun said hoping she wouldn’t feel pity for him or his son.

Silence resumed. Namjoo took another careful sip of her tea.

Why was it that their sons became friends so easily, but it was so difficult for them? They could talk about favorite colors, shows, hobbies, foods, but the mood didn’t match. How did children do it? Why were adults so different?

“How was the date?” Namjoo asked just so the silence wouldn’t be so awkward.

Sehun peered at her then away. “It was ok.”

“Seems like you had a good time,” Namjoo commented.

He shared a smile. Thankfully they were interrupted by the door creaking open. They turned to see Moowon walking out rubbing his eyes dazed.

“You’re awake?” Namjoo immediately abandoned her tea to go to him.

“Mommy…” Moowon muttered leaning against her shoulder.

Leaving the table as well Sehun peeked into the darkened bedroom. Gunta’s small form was on the bed buried underneath the ruffles of Namjoo’s blanket. He was kicking and then he rolled over. Laying there so quietly Sehun thought he’d gone back to sleep. After a moment he pushed himself up and looked around. Spotting him, Gunta slid off the bed and toddled over to him. Wrapping his arms around Sehun’s leg he rubbed his eyes.

“Thaddy?” he called.

Kneeling down to fix his hair Sehun said, “I’m back. Did you sleep well?”

“Mmm!” Gunta nodded and looked behind him to see Moowon and his mother.

“You ready to go home?” Sehun asked standing up. Making way to the diaper bag he began packing up.

“We go?” Gunta asked. “Why?”

“Because it’s late and we shouldn’t keep your friend busy.” Sehun replied.

“Why?” Gunta followed him toward the couch.

“Because we have our own home,” Sehun answered.

“Why?”

He turned to look at innocent Gunta as Namjoo laughed.

“Silly boy,” Sehun said touching his son’s head. Slipping the diaper bag over his shoulder he turned around. “Say bye. You’ll see Moowon again Monday.”

“Why?” Gunta asked.

Smiling, Sehun took his hand and started toward the door. “Sorry for keeping you so long.”

“It was fun,” Namjoo assured. “Say bye, Moowon.”

Standing right by Namjoo’s side, Moowon quietly waved. Lifting Gunta into his arms, Sehun grabbed his umbrella and walked through the door.

“Daddy,” Gunta said as they walked down the hall.

“Hmm?”

“I like here,” Gunta babbled. “Moowon haft mommy. Dey fun. I like.”

“I’ll bring you back next time,” Sehun promised. “Now we go home.”

◊◊◊◊◊

Moowon stayed up an extra six hours before Namjoo was able to get him into bed with her. He’d agreed happily when she said he could sleep with mom. Currently sleeping nearby Namjoo patted his chest rhythmically while staring at the thick envelope sitting on her vanity. Out of pride she wanted to return it, but Daehwi owed them that money. That money was rightfully Moowon’s.

The rain was still pattering against the window behind her. Sleep was far gone, untraceable. Namjoo gazed at her son and brushed his bangs off his forehead. He would look more like his father as he grew up. Would he keep asking for his dad once he understood what that man had done to them?

Namjoo sighed and closed her eyes.

She spent the entirety of Sunday cleaning her home. Scrubbing the toilet, the tub, the sink. Mopping the floors. Dusting the walls. Until she felt depleted of energy. She took a break to sit with Moowon in front of the television and in the evening took him grocery shopping with her. She let him push the mini-cart reserved for children and let him choose snacks of his choice. Then they returned home, and she spent another sleepless night in bed.

Namjoo felt even more tired Monday morning when she dropped Moowon off at the daycare. It was also embarrassing running into Gunta’s father. She hadn’t inquired, but she still wondered how much of the conversation with Daehwi he may have heard before she cursed him out. And she had nearly slapped him with her shoe.

Thinking about it made her flush with even more shame. That night she had slipped on her soggy shoe and walked all the way home. The sneakers had squeaked noisily inside the building and water dripped off her like she was a runny faucet. What a sight she had been.

Namjoo groaned and gently hit her forehead against the window in the staff room at work. The sunray shone right down on her instantly warming the glass up.

“What is it?” Yurim asked leaning her back against the wall beside her.

“Nothing.” Namjoo mumbled.

“So,” Yurim began, “that guy…are you seeing him?”

“Who?” Namjoo moved away from the window to look at her friend with a frown.

“He was at your place, remember?” Yurim raised her brows.

“Sehun?” Namjoo asked then shook her head. “He’s Gunta’s father.”

“Gunta?” her colleague repeated confused.

“He’s Moowon’s friend at the daycare,” Namjoo explained and mentally added the boy she had been a surrogate for. She unnecessarily added, “He had an arranged date that day, so Gunta and Moowon had a play date.”

“That’s too bad,” Yurim flicked her fingers together.

“Why would you ask?” Namjoo wondered.

“I was just curious,” Yurim shrugged a shoulder.

“Are you interested? If his date doesn’t work out, should I give him your number?”

“No!” Yurim shyly shrieked.

Namjoo laughed and slapped her on the back. “He’s on the market, so feel free to make a move.”

◊◊◊◊◊

“Don’t do it, mom,” Sehun chided as his mother gathered his laundry into a basket. “Gosh, I’ll do it myself.”

“Look at all this lying around,” his mother nagged picking up this and that. “How will you ever look after yourself?”

“I believe I’ve been doing that for several years now,” Sehun muttered.

“Anyway, I heard it went well!” his mother beamed walking out of his bedroom with a laundry basket. “You’re seeing her again this weekend?”

“It’s not a date,” Sehun corrected. “I’m just taking Gunta out.”

“But she invited you. That makes it a date,” his mother smirked.

“No, it isn’t,” Sehun denied.

“Moowon come?” Gunta’s attention was caught.

“Who’s Moowon?” his mother questioned looking at him.

“He’s a friend.”

“Yours?”

“Gunta’s friend from the daycare. We talked about it last time,” Sehun reminded.

“Did we?” his mother wondered rapidly blinking. “I don’t recall.”

“Gunta was telling you about it,” Sehun said.

Pressing her lips together his mother gave up trying to remember. Looking at him, “Wear your best outfit this week. If she wants to see you again it means she likes you.”

“There is nothing romantic about a picnic.”

“Oh?” she perked up delighted. “A picnic. How nice.”

“A fundraiser,” Sehun corrected himself.

“Same thing,” his mother waved her hand as she strutted off toward the washing machine. Sehun sighed and rubbed his forehead. He looked down when Gunta tugged at his pants.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Moowon,” Gunta said. “He come?”

“He’s not coming here,” Sehun said.

“Picnic,” Gunta struggled for words. “Picnic. Moowon.” He tilted his head questionably.

Sehun stared at his son then asked, “You want Moowon to go, too?”

“Yes!” Gunta nodded excitedly.

The picnic. Saemi hadn’t said anything about a date. It wasn’t a date.

Not a date.

Sehun pulled into the daycare the following day, his eyes searching the parking lot for any sign of Moowon and his mother. The previous day Moowon hadn’t attended. Sehun had picked up Gunta who pouted sadly. When asked, Mrs. Lee explained that Moowon was home with his mother.

Today Gunta had brought some of his beloved gummies to share with Moowon and his mom.

“Ok, little guy,” Sehun breathed lifting him from the car. Closing the door Sehun took his hand and led him toward the daycare. They were greeted by Mrs. Lee like usual.

“Moowon isn’t here yet,” she told.

“Wait!” Gunta exclaimed stamping his feet.

One vehicle after another pulled up to the daycare. After two cars passed he recognized Namjoo driving in with Moowon in the back.

“I see them,” Sehun told Gunta, “but we wait here.”

“Yay!” Gunta jumped from feet to feet.

A minute passed then two went by. A figure then two appeared. Moowon’s eyes brightened up when he spotted his friend waiting.

“Gunta!” Moowon greeted. Letting go of his mother’s hand he hurried forward.

“Gummy!” Gunta held out one of the packs he was clutching tightly.

“For me?” Moowon cutely asked.

“Don’t forget to say thank you,” Namjoo reminded then greeted Mrs. Lee.

“Hea,” Gunta held up his last pack tapping her fingers with the foil.

“For me, too?” Namjoo crouched down. “Why, thank you, Gunta. I’ll eat it right away.”

He giggled brightly.

“He missed Moowon yesterday,” Sehun told when she straightened.

“I wasn’t feeling well, so we stayed home,” Namjoo said.

“It must’ve been the rain,” Sehun supposed.

“I think so, too,” Namjoo nodded. She glanced down to see Moowon chewing away at the gummies. “I’m a little late for work, so I’ll leave first.”

Touching Moowon’s head she bid her farewell before turning to leave. Turning to Mrs. Lee Sehun bade goodbye and hurried after Namjoo.

“Oh…uh…wait,” he called out.

Stopping, Namjoo pivoted. Sehun reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out the folded paper he’d received from Saemi.

“There’s a fundraiser this weekend. There’ll be activities, food, and drinks,” Sehun told. “If you’re not doing anything, take Moowon. Gunta will be going.”

“A picnic?” Namjoo read the top line.

“It’s…something,” Sehun said. Actually, it was because he didn’t want anything about Saturday to be a date, so he was inviting her and Moowon. If they came he and Gunta wouldn’t have to be alone with Noh Saemi. He wasn’t sure he wanted Gunta to meet her as some potential mother.

“I’ll think about it,” Namjoo gave her word. “If nothing comes up, we’ll be there.”

“That sounds good,” Sehun smiled.

◊◊◊◊◊

Namjoo parked her car in the busy lot that weekend. She hadn’t heard from Daehwi the entire week. She didn’t know whether to be disappointed or happy. She was a troubled mix of both, and she hated it. She hadn’t told Moowon about him coming by. Maybe she should have.

“Wow.” Moowon’s eyes went wide when he saw all the colorful tents beyond the fenced line. “Mommy! Look!”

She spotted the lady weaving cotton candy from a machine for a line of children. Excited, Moowon pulled on her shirt for her to hurry. The smell of grilling meat permeated the air. Hot, Namjoo fanned herself as they walked in. Music echoed from a stereo. There was chatter, children happily yapping, babies crying. The usual noise a person heard within a crowd gathered for an event.

Namjoo pushed her way through and waited in line for cotton candy. She’d bought cash since Sehun said it was a fundraiser. She didn’t have his phone number, so she had no idea whether he and Gunta were here already. Since there was nothing going on today and Daehwi hadn’t shown up, Namjoo had dressed Moowon and they were here for the heck of it.

They walked off with their cotton candy to explore the field. There were games for children and young adolescents. Too invested in his cotton candy Moowon wasn’t interested in the games. Namjoo really wanted the gyros being cooked, but she needed Moowon to be hungry.

“Moowon, are you hungry?” Namjoo asked. Her soon shook his head. “Ok, lets walk around some more.”

They joined the crowd at the end to watch a band playing on stage. After the song finished they clapped and headed off because Moowon wanted food now. Namjoo led him to the gyros station, where they would share one. If they didn’t find Gunta and his dad she planned to leave. She was bored. There wasn’t anything she wanted to do.

“Auntay!!” Namjoo first heard the voice of a child screaming before she almost stumbled forward into the grill when Gunta ran into her.

“Oh my god…” she gasped steadying herself. The chef behind the grill stared at her wide-eyed, his hand stretched out to push her back if she did fall.

“Gunta!” Sehun scolded hurrying toward them. “Jesus. Are you ok?”

“I’m fine. I didn’t fall,” Namjoo held her palms out for assurance though her heart thumped noisily. Glancing down she saw Gunta clinging onto her jeans and giving her a wide-tooth grin. He was so innocent. She touched his head, “Hey, there.”

“Come here,” Sehun pulled Gunta toward him. “Don’t do that again. That was dangerous.”

Gunta’s face contorted into confusion. Heart going out to him Namjoo said, “I didn’t get hurt. You don’t have to yell at him.”

Sehun turned away from the son who looked like he might start bawling. “Did you just get here?”

“About forty-five minutes ago,” Namjoo answered. “We were about to leave if we didn’t see you.”

“We were walking around,” Sehun told.

“Oh? We were, too,” Namjoo piped. “I guess we may have missed each other.”

Their eyes made contact and broke off when the chef called out to her.


***did he avoid a date to go on a date?? xDD