Chapter 5

Eyes On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JB still at the office when the night comes. He revised back the case about Eric. The recorded pictures from the scene have been downloaded into the computer. The victim was murdered cruelly. Eric's case was categorized as the beast. 

“Sir...” A sergeant rebuked him and handed over an envelope. “...this envelope arrived this evening but you were not in the office.”

JB nodded and thanked him.

He opened the envelope. A piece of newspaper was in it, he frowned. The name of the sender was not stated. No note was attached. He reads the newspaper; a businessman from Korean death in Beijing, China. Money with note $1USD was patched on the victim's forehead. Similar to the evidence they found at the location of Eric’s murder incident.

“Killer signature? International hitman?” JB murmured.

He observed the date of the murder, three days before Eric's death. It's not impossible to happen. The flight from Beijing to Seoul only takes about two hours. JB thought for a moment. Then, he called his best friend, Jinyoung.

“Where are you, Jinyoung-ah?” JB asked.

"Still at an office. I need to review back company's file under Eric." Jinyoung complaint was audible at the end of the line.

"Hyung wants to ask you, did Papa know Mr.Jung?” JB asked without delay.

“Our company has ever dealt with Mr. Jung’s company, Jaebum-hyung.” Jinyoung told him. Jinyoung’s statement raises suspicion that thickens in his heart.

 

 

It was not hard for Mr.Park to find Mr.Yang, who has been waiting for him in the dining room at a five-star hotel. They shook hands. They were an old friend. But lately, they rarely meet. Busy with their business.

“Sorry, I’m late.”He said after Mr.Yang invited him to take a sit. Then they order their foods. The waitress that has known Mr.Yang immediately fulfil their order.

"It's okay to eat like this occasionally, Mr.Park. Not always, we're old. We need to take care of our health. Additional food...  vitamin, mineral and exercise are compulsory. If not, quick to die."

Mr.Park smiled when he heard a lecture by Mr. Yang.

“I agree, Mr.Yang.”

“So, how business?” Mr.Yang asked.

"Slow a little, Mr. Yang. But I'm not worried. It's normal...stock market was traded cautiously. In the meantime, I took out half of the company's share. When the market has recovered, I'll be back." Mr. Yang laughs a little. He knew Mr. Park choose a safe path.

“What if I take over the share? Agree?”

“Oh... Come on, Mr.Yang. Don’t kill me like that.”

They laugh out loud. Mr. Yang was proud, he knew his power is greater than his friend. Their conversation stopped for a while when their foods arrived.

“Now price for world oil rising again. Last night contract for the price of crude oil ‘Light, Sweet’ rose in electronic trading beyond transaction hours New York Mercantile Exchange in Europe. Many businessmen like us complain.’ While eating their food, Mr.Yang told about current development.

Mr.Park also followed the world's trade but he pretends not to know when chatting with Mr.Yang. But did not show the lack of knowledge by asking nonsense questions.

“What is your opinion, Mr.Park?” the question that testing his mind was also asked by Mr.Yang.

“Perhaps that is why Mr. Jung was killed?”

Mr. Yang stopped eating. Mr. Park’s statement really ‘destroyed’ his mood tonight. He more likes to talk about the future.

“You scare?”

Mr.Yang lost his appetite. He pulled his napkin from his neck to wipe his lips and put it on the table.

"I'm just worried, Mr. Yang."

“Your son’s best friend... who...”

"Jaebum." Mr.Park can smell Mr.Yang's uneasiness when they bring up Mr.Jung's death in Beijing, China.

"Yes, Inspector Jaebum. A police officer of the Criminal Investigation Department in Seoul."

Mr. Yang nodded. His reaction was somewhat cynical. "Just ask for 24-hours protection from the police... End of the story."

“One of my staff was killed, Mr.Yang.”

“So?”

“I’m worried this case related.”

"Mr. Jung has no business with you and me, Park." Such speech indicates that he starts to get angry. "And I don't want to be associated with Mr. Jung, understand!" He continued.

“You not scare?”

Mr.Yang shook his head. However, he swallowed slowly.

 

 

Jinyoung looked over the balcony on the top floor of the house. He watched the stars and moon in the sky. JB has studied the newspaper he received this evening. JB has lived with him since childhood. Their family very closed, JB always come to their house to play with Jinyoung. He already considered Park as his family. When JB’s family moved abroad he didn’t want to come along because he felt attached to the younger and didn’t want to leave him alone.

JB wear thin rubber gloves to hold the envelope. Jinyoung greets him. JB only carved out a bitter smile.

"Mama said... her children will become a single bachelor. Mama said again... Pity for mama and papa. Don't know when they will get a son-in-law. Don't say son-in-law, no candidate also." Jinyoung sat on the swing. Their parents already know their uality and them okay with it.

"So... You already had a boyfriend?" JB asked.

“Hyung?” Jinyoung asked a question without answering JB’s question.

“Busy with work!”

They said that words together and they laughed after that.

“How about Youngjae-ssi?” Jinyoung asked as soon as they stopped from laughing.

“Not guilty.” JB replied.

“What kind of motive, hyung?”

“Mr.Jung had been killed in Beijing, Eric at here. The occurrence is only three days apart.” It was not hard for JB to reveal the agenda. The problem is who’s the killer? The motive still unclear. The connection of the case still vague. Two murders in two countries... China and Korea.

“Must be the same murderer.” Jinyoung made his own assumption.

“Yes. But the motive still blur.” JB concluded.

“But so far, it seems as if the JYP Company involved.”

JB stared at the younger. Since he became the polic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter