Chapter 4

Eyes On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Aroha’s car drifted away, Mark still can picture the Maori girl’s smile. Suddenly, his ears ring. Simultaneously, a white light flashed in front of his eyes. Like a sharp camera’s flash that hurt the pupils. Mark turned away with his eyelids closed spontaneously; avoid the flash that dazzled him. He realized this situation happened again.

The ring in his ears has stopped, silenced surround him. His body felt hot but his feet felt cold. When he opened his eyes, Mark found himself in a different place. However, he not panics. Such a situation often happened. The repetition of mere phenomena, only a fantasy for him. Right now, he was at the beach. In front of him, a teenage boy watching him with a pair of witted eyes. His hair was dirty with dust; skin reddened because of the sunburnt and sweats drenching his body.

There, in the middle of the sea, they stood opposite each other. No interaction. Even the eyesight did not speak. Both of them accompanied by sunlight along with the beach breeze. While their bare feet immersed in water.

Mark look at the dull boy. Blood flowed from his skin pores on both arms. The boy looked almost dead but trying to survive with a dry lifeless body. Mark took a step in the water... walking towards the boy.

“Mark... Mark.”

A voice called for him. He felt his shoulder was tapped by someone. He turned, a rustling sound was heard. His view becomes dark. He felt dizzy then he closed his eyes. He stayed like that for a while before he opened his eyes. Right then, the situation changed. He was in the current situation, here.

“Mark, are you all right?”

Johnny smiled at him.

They sat in the courtyard in the dim lit of the light outside the house. Enjoyed the cold night with a cup of coffee. For a moment, they were silent but felt like hours.

"You like Cromwell, Mark?" Johnny said in Korean language with America slang. He liked to practice that language although it been a long time since he leaves Korea.

"I like New Zealand, Uncle John," Mark replied without a smile.

“Over 16 years left Korea... I understand you will miss your homeland. But don’t worry, the time will come soon.” In soft, he could trigger a spark even as small as a matchstick. It’s not hard to trigger the anger of the man called Mark.

Mark turned his head toward Johnny.”I really like New Zealand.” He said in a serious tone. Johnny chuckled while looked at his watch. 11.00 p.m sharp.

“8.00 p.m in Korea.” Johnny sighed.

Mark just silenced, waiting for further details.

“As long as our work not done yet... You can’t live normal, Mark. You can’t have a family, stay away from love. I worry them will...” His voice deliberately stopped. He often said that words when they meet. It’s a warning though spoken with softness.

“Where’s our target now and who?” For a bloody past, Mark straight to ask questions related to the task that needs to be done.

“Mark, you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter