Following the Trail

The Spider
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was lunch time, and Jisoo couldn't concentrate.

Jisoo's morning classes went well enough, but it was hard to focus. One reason was because everyone would stare at her, and whisper amongst themselves as they pointed. She knew it was because of the fight with Jiyong. She was glad that all she got was a few detentions for that.

The second reason was because she couldn't stop thinking about what Mr. Oh said to her that morning in his office. Self-control? Can't make more mistakes? She had been tossing the words around in her mind the whole morning, and Jennie noticed it. She had asked her about a hundred times what was wrong, and Jisoo kept telling her it was nothing. Because it probably was nothing.

Right?

"Babe, are you listening to me?"

Jisoo was startled out of her thoughts by Jennie's gentle voice, and she raised her eyes to meet concerned brown ones aimed at her. Jisoo picked up her fork and played with her food on her tray, looking down at it.

"Sorry, lost in thought." Jisoo mumbled. Jennie frowned and put her fork down, reaching across the table to touch Jisoo's hand. Jisoo stopped playing with her mush of a lunch, glancing at the hand on hers. She sighed and put her fork down, grasping Jennie's hand and meeting her eyes again. Jennie smiled, but she clearly knew something was up with her.

"Wanna talk about what's going on in that pretty head of yours?" Jennie said. She ran her thumb along Jisoo's knuckles, the movement causing a shiver to travel down Jisoo's spine. Jennie really had a way of messing her up.

Jisoo cleared , shrugging her shoulders.

"There's nothing really going on. I swear." Jisoo replied. Jennie's frown deepened as she stared at her, her thumb continung to draw circles on her hand.

"Jisoo, I know you. I know that something's up." Jennie said. "How are we gonna be a team if you aren't talking to me?"

She had a point, Jisoo mused. She didn't want them to even be a 'team' in the first place, really- it was her dumb decision to kiss her that night and let her figure out her secret. Though, it was also the same decision that got Jennie to be her girlfriend, so she concludes that it wasn't really that bad of her to do. Jisoo bit her lip in thought, chewing on it. Jennie had stopped caressing her hand, and instead had moved both girls' trays out of the way so she could lean on the table, grasping both of Jisoo's hands in her own. She squeezed them, hoping to gather Jisoo's attention.

It worked; Jisoo sighing lightly and squeezing her hands back, their eyes locked together. Jisoo released a breath in defeat and leaned towards the girl, keeping her voice low.

"I've been thinking about what Mr. Oh said today." Jisoo said lowly, and Jennie furrowed her eyebrows.

"What did he say?"

"Remember when he said something about needing self-control? And making mistakes?" Jisoo answered.

Jennie nodded, tilting her head like a puppy. Jisoo brushed off how cute she was being so she could focus on what she was saying.

"I've been thinking all morning about that, and..." Jisoo trailed off, glancing around to see if anyone was paying attention to them. No one really was, except the occasional disgusted glance thrown their way by ignorant people. Jisoo returned her gaze to Jennie. "I just think something's up with him. It was just... Oddly specific for him to say those things, you know? It was like he knew, Jennie." Jisoo said.

Jennie was silent for a moment, her mind processing this new information. She opened a few times, and Jisoo waited patiently for her theory to settle in. When it did, Jennie looked skeptical.

"Babe, what are you talking about? You think Mr. Oh, our high school principal, is behind all this destruction?" Jennie said, bewildered. She pulled away slightly from Jisoo, but the hero grasped her hands tightly- desperately.

"Jennie, please. Just hear me out for a second." Jisoo said, pleading. Jennie looked at her for a minute, before sighing and motioning for her to continue. "Okay, thank you." She continued. "I don't think he's behind everything. But him saying all that... And how he acted so weird this morning, I just don't know. What if he knows something? Or what if he knows nothing about the mech or the cube or whatever, but knows about my powers? I can't have so many people knowing, Jennie." Jisoo explained, hoping that her girlfriend would understand where she was coming from.

Jennie was looking down at their hands clasped together, the girl weighing things out in her mind.

"And maybe I'm just being paranoid, I don't know. But something else weird happened this morning when I got home." That got Jennie's attention even more, her eyebrows raised.

"Oh , did you get in trouble for staying over?" Jennie replied in concern. Jisoo let out a laugh and shook her head.

"I said I was at Lisa's house, don't worry. I did get in trouble for not replying to my parents' texts though..." Jisoo said, laughing a little when Jennie rolled her eyes playfully at her. "And I may or may not have told my mom about us?" She said in the smallest, squeakiest voice. Jennie gasped, eyes popped out.

"What?! What happened, did she freak out?" Jennie said. Her eyes looked the size of basketballs

Jisoo waved her hand, brushing off the question.

"I didn't give her time to freak out. I ran to my room to get ready." Jisoo explained. Jennie relaxed a little, but Jisoo got things back on track. "That's not what I'm talking about though. The weird thing was my father. You haven't met him, but I can tell you he's a very strong, confident, protective man, Jennie. He'd do anything for his family... He's that type of father." Jisoo said. She missed the flash of jealousy in Jennie's eyes, missed her reaction to her description of her father.

"So, when I was about to leave this morning, he just looked... Vacant. He was hesitant, and he had a weird look in his eye about something. I don't know what, but he never acts that way." She said. "It was just weird, and now Mr. Oh being weird has got me thinking things aren't as they seem."

Jisoo paused and leaned forward again, prompting Jennie to do the same.

"What if my dad and Mr. Oh know about me? Or know something about all of this? I don't want it to be true, because it's my dad, but I don't know. Everything is just so weird today." Jisoo murmured. Jennie was about to reply, but clamped shut as she glanced at something behind Jisoo. Jisoo raised an eyebrow and turned around in her seat, immediately freezing up like a statue.

Jiyong walked into the cafeteria. Well, sort of walked- more like he limped and waddled his way in, since he had crutches and a leg in a cast. He also had a couple bruises on his face, and everyone stared at him like a piece of meat. He ignored everyone's eyes, but he glanced up as he was going past Jisoo and Jennie's table. His glare was something Jisoo had never seen before.

He stopped next to their table, staring down at Jisoo. Jennie was on high alert, her hand gripping Jisoo's tightly. There was a long, long, beat of silence among eveyone in the room as Jisoo slowly stood up, feeling slightly better when face to face with the guy. Jiyong stared at her, nostrils flaring with anger. Jisoo could feel the rage radiating off of him in front of her, and she gulped inaudibly. She wasn't sure what was going to happen at this point.

Jiyong raised his hand.

And placed it on Jisoo's shoulder.

Lots of people gasped, and whispers spread amongst the students. Jennie was halfway out of her seat, and Jisoo was full of a lot of confusion. His grip wasn't gentle by any means, it was tight as hell and Jisoo could feel her shoulder burning and aching for him to stop. But she held her ground, standing up tall and facing him down. Jiyong smiled bitterly before pulling away from her, taking a tiny step back. He spit near her shoes, before chuckling darkly.

"You won." Jiyong said, his first words since he entered the cafeteria. Jisoo was even more confused now, her eyebrow raising. Jiyong chuckled again.

"You won her, but I wouldn't say it was fair and square." Jiyong said in a low tone, and Jisoo clenched her fist at her side. He stepped as close as possible to her again, whispering now. "Something ed up is going on with you, and I'm going to find out what it is. And when I do, I'll end you." He said.

And with that, he laughed in her face once more, and used his crutches to make his way over to his usual table, where his friends welcomed him back with open arms.

Jisoo stood there, still and tense. Jennie went around the table and stood in front of her. She was asking her if she wanted to leave.

Jisoo nodded, and Jennie pulled them both out of the cafeteria. 

They missed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter