Returning

The Spider
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo woke up the next morning with a pounding headache, but she had never felt so comfortable and warm in her entire life.

She hummed in content and shifted slightly, snuggling closer to whatever soft pressure was next to her. She squeezed whatever it was, burying her face into it. She wasn't sure what it was, but it felt a lot like hair. That's weird.

She shrugged it off in her sleepy mind, fully ready to fall back asleep right then and there when she heard the thing make a noise.

Things shouldn't make noises like that. They can't breathe like her. They can't move and sigh on her face, making her eyelids flutter. 

Jisoo then realized, this wasn't some pillow or stuffed animal she was cuddling. It was a whole other person next to her and her heart immediately stopped when that person spoke, voice deep and raspy.

"Morning."

Jisoo's eyes popped open to meet a very sleepy Jennie, gazing at her with her eyes half-closed and slightly unfocused. Jisoo let out an embarrassing squeak at her arms tightly wrapped around the girl, and it startled her so much that she jumped back and fell off the side of the bed, a thump echoing throughout the room as a result.

"Jisoo!" Jennie gasped from above, the girl scrambling off her bed to help her off the floor. Jisoo groaned and rubbed the back of her head, trying to shake off the slight pain there. She groggily opened her eyes again, flitting her eyes around until she met Jennie's once again. Except, Jennie's were wide awake now and full of concern. Jisoo blinked several times, trying to regain some composure and dignity.

"U-Um... Sorry, I just- I was caught off guard, I guess." Jisoo confessed softly, moving her eyes away from Jennie. She heard a sigh and a tiny giggle, before Jennie turned her head back towards her so they could look into each other's eyes.

"Caught off guard waking up in my bed?" Jennie asked, cheeky smirk on her face when Jisoo's face lit up in a bright blush, the older girl stuttering slightly. Jennie giggled again and leaned in to kiss her cheek, and then pulled away from her and glanced at the clock. They still had time before they needed to get to school, and they were both dreading it for different reasons. Jisoo, because she was for sure going to get into a lot of trouble for what she did the other day, and also for leaving school in the middle of the day. Jennie, because she also left without a word and she was terrified for Jisoo and what could happen.

Jennie went towards her closet to start picking out clothes for herself, and in the meantime, Jisoo's mind was scrambling. She tried to remember how she and Jennie ended up in her bed- not that she really minded. No, not at all, in fact. She loved that thought very much and she's already mad at herself for ruining it. Good job, Jisoo.

Jisoo sighed and rubbed her face, sitting down on the edge of Jennie's bed. She remembered asking Jennie what the initials could mean- and they spent literally all night scouring through the internet, and even some random books from Jennie's father's study to try to find any significance to K.S. They had a few leads, but nothing substantial and they only called it a night when they passed out from exhaustion.

Jisoo's thoughts were interrupted when soft footsteps made their way towards her, causing her to pull her hands away and look up. Jennie was clothed now, her hair in a ponytail and a soft smile on her face.

"What's up, babe?" Jennie said, sitting down next to her and gripping her hand. Jisoo smiled and squeezed her hand, light blush on her cheeks.

"Just thinking about last night. I really wish we found out more." Jisoo said, and Jennie frowned.

"I know. I wish we did too. But I'm sure we'll come up with something, okay? We have other things to worry about today." Jennie said, and Jisoo internally groaned. She had a point.

"I really don't want to go to school today." Jisoo replied, and Jennie sighed.

"I know you don't. I don't either. But if we don't show up today, things could get so much worse. Plus, maybe the library could have more information on the initials? Or maybe teachers?" Jennie offered, trying to ease Jisoo into the idea of going. Jisoo pondered her words, chewing on her bottom lip. Jennie had another good point- some teachers at their school have been in the city for a long time, and their library was old enough that they could get information they weren't able to find elsewhere.

She'd rather not, but she knew they had to go back.

Jisoo sighed deeply, before faintly nodding to the girl beside her. Jennie smiled and rubbed her back gently, planting a sweet kiss on her cheek.

"Okay, good. Now, how about we-"

"Jennie? I just got home from an early meeting. Your mother said there was a loud noise. Are you okay?"

Jennie froze with her eyes wide, whipping her head over to her bedroom door. Her father's voice boomed through it, and she heard his steps get closer. Jisoo could barely register what was happening before Jennie was shoving her towards the doors that led to her balcony outside.

", my dad's home. You need to go, right now. He- he won't like that you're here." Jennie whispered, panic rising in Jisoo when her father attempted to turn the knob to get inside. Jisoo was pushed through the windows and onto the balcony, the hero spinning around and trying to protest. Jennie placed a finger over her lips to stop her, an apologetic smile covering her face.

"Jennie?! Open the door."

Jennie snapped her eyes to her door, and then back to Jisoo. She removed her finger and quickly pecked Jisoo's lips, before she shoved her lightly towards the edge of the balcony.

"I'm sorry. I'll see you at school, okay? Be safe." Jennie said, and with that, she went back inside and closed her doors. Jisoo blinked, eyes blank as she heard Jennie's steps get further away, and then a door opening. She heard two voices, and the minute she heard heavy steps coming towards the balcony, she quickly hung off the edge of the balcony, sticking herself to the underside of it just as Jennie's father opened the doors up, walking outside.

"Dad, what are you doing? No one's here!" Jennie said in exasperation, Jisoo holding her breath as her father walked to the edge of the balcony. He looked left and right, eyes narrowed. 

"Your mother heard a noise." He responded coolly, and Jennie sighed again. 

"Mom hears random things all the time, dad. I didn't hear anything at all." Jennie said, lying perfectly through her teeth. 

Jisoo bit her lip, keeping herself stuck to the underside of the balcony as she listened to Jennie's father turn around again. It seemed he decided to give up, because Jisoo heard the man sigh deeply before both pairs of feet made their way back inside Jennie's room, the doors shutting softly.

Jisoo let out a long breath, and after a slight pause to get her heart rate back to normal, she quickly snatched her backpack from the corner of the balcony and pulled the straps onto her shoulders. She sent one last look to the doors leading to Jennie's room, and then sighed as she shot a web out, travelling the way back to her house.

~~

"Kim Jisoo, where have you been?!"

The minute she walked into the house, which she hoped would be discreetly, her mother's screeching voice scared the hell out of her. She squeezed her eyes shut and sighed, only opening them back up when she heard frantic footsteps coming towards her from the kitchen.

"Just... Out." Jisoo replied- what a great answer, Jisoo. Smooth.

"Out?! Young lady, your father and I have been worried sick about you! You haven't answered any of our calls and texts, and no note?!" Jisoo's mother was practically screeching every word out. Jisoo did feel guilty- she shouldn't have kept them worrying for so long. But she and Jennie were determined to find answers to everything- especially her.

"Mom I- I'm sorry I didn't call back, okay? I went over to Lisa's house and just got caught up in homework and games. I didn't think of my phone." Jisoo lied expertly. the guilt still resting on her heart. Her mother seemed skeptical still, and Jisoo was basically holding her breath in anticipation, waiting for her response. Her mother crossed her arms, finally letting out a large sigh and a shake of the head.

"Just... Remember next time, alright? I don't want this to happen again. With that... thing... Stomping around out there, who kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter