Twin Hearts

A Reason to Live
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It was an accident."

"It's easier for you to say that because the drunk driver is your father and you're not the one who lost her wife because of that accident."

"I lost my father in that accident too, Byul."

"You're right..."  

"...maybe this won't work."

In the end...it was easier for her to let me go instead of her anger toward my father.

Moonbyul's POV:

"What would you do, if you have one chance to turn back time? Where would you go? Who would you go to?"

When Seulgi asked me that question, my mind went back to Wheein, then to Yongsun.

I don't know if it was supposed to be a hard question. But I couldn't give a simple answer.

I didn't have any regrets with Yongsun. I loved her as much as I possibly could. I'd like to think that I treated her the best that I could.

I just wish that I was able to talk to her. I wish I was able to thank her for everything. I wish I was there to comfort her; or even just to be there, at her last breath.

I didn't even know if she was scared, or if she didn't know what hit her. If it ended in a snap or if she struggled in her last moments.

If I could go back in time, I would've just held her that day. I wish I didn't ask her to come to the party with me. I wish we could've stayed home. If I had known, we would've just stayed home. And I'll hold her safe in my arms, forever until my last breath.

But no one could've possibly known.

If there's one thing I've come to accept, it's that I couldn't have known. And there's nothing I could do to change what had happened.

But with Wheein...

There were a lot of things I wish I'd done differently.

I know I messed up. And that there was no excuse for how much I had hurt her.

They say a person experiences three loves in a lifetime. There's always the first, second, and third love. The first one teaches, and the second one hurts, while the third one sticks. These loves don't come in any particular order.

Yongsun was my first love. The love that felt like it couldn't get any better than this. The love we had was the love that taught me; the love that taught me everything I initially knew about love.

But if there's one thing I learned about love it is that: Love is not the same for everybody.

What might be right for one person could be wrong for another. Because we're all different people with different needs. And we all love differently - and that's okay.

So yes, Yongsun might be my first love, but she's also my second and third. Because she taught me, and her loss has hurt me, and I think it would stick with me forever; both the pain and the love. And it doesn't scare me anymore, because if anything; Wheein taught me that - as cliche as it may sound - there is always a rainbow after the rain.

And Wheein...Wheein is my rainbow.

And if I could get the chance to show her how I really felt about her, I would take it.

But like Seulgi has said, "It was just a question."

It's not like I could go back in time and undo all the hurtful things I've done and said to bring Wheein back...back to me.

When I saw Yongsun it was love at first sight. And it was a hard pill to swallow especially for a skeptic like me. The feeling crept up on me and I felt like I was hit by a train. Because it was frightening that everything I want in life, I found in her. But when I realized that it was love, I dove in head first. And I knew at that moment that nothing can stop me from loving this woman. And I made her my wife. And we were happy.

But with Wheein it was different. The first time I met her I paid no mind because I have everything I wanted in life. And when we met under a different circumstance when we were both free to fall, I felt like everything was stopping me from loving her completely; fate, destiny, the universe, I blamed everything but me - when in fact, it was me all along who was so full of excuses...until I was two years too late.

To think we had met before, under different circumstances...it tore at my soul that this time, I am complete. My purpose in life is no longer dependent on anyone else but mine. And no one is tying me down. My heart is free to fall in just a matter of seconds. But Wheein is not here anymore to catch it.

"Wheein..." I couldn't help but smile at the thought of her.

I placed the flowers I'd been holding in front of the cold hard stone in front of me.

"Byul?" I heard my name be called by a voice of an angel. I felt like I was dreaming. I looked behind me to see who it was.

It was Wheein.

God. She looked so beautiful.

She was smiling. And she was so visibly happy. I wonder if I ever made her that happy...

"I didn't know you were back in Seoul." she said, as she pushed strands of her hair at the back of her ear. I couldn't say anything because I was distracted by the shiny ring on her finger.

I didn't want to make a big deal out of it but my mind just went on coming back to that stupid ring she's wearing.

"Are you just visiting?" she asked when I took too long to respond.

Before I left for the US, I asked Seulgi to tell Wheein I was going to the US, to help with the family business. I couldn't say goodbye to her. I won't be able to go if I faced her personally. So I asked Seulgi to give her a letter explaining why I decided to leave. My parents were too lenient and patient with me; handling the company, while I stayed here in Seoul and try to heal for years. I didn't want to go back to my family broken. But I needed a new environment and they are the only home that I know now.

Fortunately, I was able to make amends with Yongsun's parents there in the US. They have been a big part of my being - and they still are. That's why I was so glad that they didn't take it against me that I tried dating other people after their daughter. Although they still blame Wheein's father for what happened, at the very least, they eventually realized it was wrong of them to put their anger towards Wheein's family.

And because for a long time, they acted as my parents, I hope one day, if I decided to get married again, I hope I get their approval, even if it's Wheein. But they're reasonable people, I know they'd understand eventually.

"I didn't expect to see you here." is what I managed to say. I didn't expect to sound as harsh as it might've sounded, but judging by the smile that left Wheein, I suppose I might've sounded ungrateful for our meeting.

I was only able to come back here now because I have finally found the real purpose of living. And it isn't anyone else's life but mine. I have finally found solace in my own solitude.

And I felt like I have the strength to come back here and face everything I have left unfinished without the fear of losing that purpose again. But seeing Wheein now displaced me a little. I tell myself that this is just a tiny setback. So what if she found someone else while I was busy finding myself? She has every right to. This will change nothing with the progress I've been making. I convinced myself.

"I'm sorry..." she looks a bit taken aback, as if she herself didn't know why she was here. "I didn't know you were coming. Seulgi asked me to bring her flowers." she said, tilting her head a little to point to Yongsun's grave. How could she be so cute doing to littlest of things?

"Do you come here often to bring Yongsun flowers?" I asked, a little astounded. She sounded as if this is a familiar concept to her. As if it's part of her system.

"Just at the times when Seulgi or Joohyun couldn't," she said nonchalantly. Why the hell would you do that? You have no obligation to.

"And that's okay with your fiancé?" I finally managed to ask what I'd been meaning to address since I saw her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter