Reckoning

A Reason to Live
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It felt just like yesterday when Moonbyul and Wheein became official girlfriends. Sometimes, Wheein still feels giddy, whenever she refers to Moonbyul as hers. But it has been a year and a half. And a lot has happened. A lot has changed. But Wheein could honestly say that her love for Moonbyul stayed the same. Maybe it grew bigger, maybe it grew deeper - but she loved her all the same. She loved her with all her heart. She loved her with all of her being.

And she's willing to do everything - to give everything she's got - for things to stay the same.

"Wheepup, you're finally awake." Moonbyul whispers into Wheein's ears, not letting go of her since they got into bed last night. It was a routine they grew comfortable with.

At first, Wheein was still a very awkward mess around Byul since it was her first relationship. And she tried to play it cool, but she got so nervous whenever Byul would wrap her arms around her torso or shoulders and cuddle into the crook of her neck. The way her girlfriend gently hold her close and kiss her on her shoulders or her forehead always made her cheeks burn red.

Eventually, with time though, she ended up feeling more comfortable with intimacy. Even so that Wheein would be the one to initiate their contact, being the first one to step on top of Byul, hugging her as her head rests on Byul's chest, being the first to hold Byul's hand in public, and being the first one to pull Byul closer to her in her sleep. Just like today.

But this time, Moonbyul's the first one to pull her into her embrace and kiss her like it's their last.

"Good morning." Wheein greets with a cheeky smile.

"Good morning." Moonbyul greeted back. "Are you ready for today?" she asks her girlfriend.

Is Wheein ready? They're meeting with Yongsun's parents since they've been back in South Korea for a few days. Yong Hee, Yongsun's older sister, convinced her parents to set up a meeting with Wheein and her parents. "What could possibly go wrong, right?" she asks, trying to reassure herself that she has nothing to be nervous about. It's not like she used her second chance at life to do terrible things.

"Right." Byul answered with a reassuring smile. To be honest, she's a little nervous, herself. It's the first time she'll be seeing Yongsun's parents after their departure. She's very close with her in-laws since her biological parents were staying abroad since she was eighteen. And when Yongsun and her got married, her in-laws welcomed her and treated her as their real daughter.

Byul wonders what they really feel about her having a new girlfriend. She knows they're aware that she's in a relationship with Yongsun's heart donee, but she's not sure if they only gave their blessing because they didn't want Byul to feel bad about it. She remembers promising them that Byul would only love one person, and that's their daughter, Yongsun.

Wheein then shifts her body to face her girlfriend, sensing that Byul is in deep thought. "I think you're the one who needs assurance."

Moonbyul only smiles, "The only assurance I need is you." she states with a genuine smile, making Wheein blush.

 After preparing for the meeting, Byul and Wheein drove to the set restaurant along with Wheein's mother and grandmother.

But before they could even sit at the table reserved for them, Wheein's mother stopped in her tracks, her eyes looking directly at Yongsun's parents.

"Mom, what's wrong?" Wheein asked with eyes full of concern. She wonders whether her mother is having cold feet.

"We need to go." Wheein's mother says, her back already turned against the table and her feet were already pointed towards the door.

Wheein furrows her brows together in confusion but managed to stop her mother from walking out. "Mom, where are you going?"

"We need to go home." Her mother whispered in a pleading but warning tone.

Wheein shakes her head. "We just got here. It's embarrassing to leave them hanging like this." she said, referring to Yongsun's parents whose waiting for them. Moonbyul is too confused to do anything. She just stood there watching the scene unfold before her.

Coincidentally enough, Yongsun's mother noticed the slight commotion and saw Moonbyul, realizing that they must be the family who received their daughter's heart. She asked her husband to stand up and accompany her to the group. When they made their way to Wheein and her family, she greeted them and introduced herself.

"Is there anything we can help you with?" Yongsun's mother greeted them politely, and soon after her husband introduced himself as well. "You seem to be having some sort of problem."

Wheein immediately bowed along with Moonbyul to show their respect. Wheein's grandmother smiled politely at them. But Wheein's mother still had her back on them, her posture stiff. "Mom, Mrs. Kim, and Mr. Kim are here." Wheein declared even though she was sure her mom is already aware of their presence.

And as if she was left with no choice, Wheein's mother turned around to face them.

There was an instant silence, at first. Mrs. Kim and her husband seemingly tried to wrap their head around the person standing in front of them. "You..." Mrs. Kim trailed off, shaking her head violently before her knees felt completely weak, and fell to the floor.

Wheein's mother looked apologetic, which made Wheein confused to no end. Nothing is making sense to her. What could her mother possibly be sorry for? "Mom, do you know them?" she asked, but her mother didn't acknowledge her question.

Mrs. Jung tried to help Mrs. Kim to get up, along with Moonbyul and Yongsun's father.

But Mrs. Kim rudely slapped Mrs. Jung's hand away. "Don't you dare touch me!" Yongsun's mother shouted.

"I'm sorry." Mrs. Jung said as tears threatened to fall from her eyes while she bows her head. "I'm sorry..." she said repeatedly. The sight broke Wheein's heart into pieces. What has her mother done wrong to deserve kind of humiliation?

"I think it's best if we cancel this meeting and forget this ever happened." Mr. Kim suggested, after helping her wife stand up. He knows that people were already looking, and he didn't want to cause any more scenes. He just wants her wife to calm down, and that wouldn't happen as long as they're near the family in front of them.

"Forget this ever happened?" Mrs. Kim asked her husband furiously. "This family ruined our family!" she shouted, pointing at Wheein and her parents. "They took away our precious daughter!" Mrs. Kim tried to attack Wheein's mother but Moonbyul quickly intervened, placing herself between the two ladies and unfortunately taking from Yongsun's mom.

Mrs. Kim cried as she kept banging Moonbyul's chest with her closed fists, but it didn't hurt as much because the woman lacked the strength to cause any pain.

Moonbyul doesn't understand what was happening, but she was dreading asking for an explanation. It didn't take a genius to realize what was happening,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter