Happy Holidays, One-Hit-Wonder

Who's My IGOT7 Secret Santa? 2018 GxB [The Big Reveal is online! // News from 2018.12.31]

Gift for One-Hit-Wonder

Gift from ????

Title of the gift: Love is not just about receiving but giving too.


Pairing: Yugyeoum and O/C (Lee Areum)

Words: 4294

Rating: Angst, break up

Warning: -

Note to my giftee: I tried my best to provide a story that’s not too angst or too fluff. Hope you like it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Love is not just about receiving but giving too

 

Comebacks were regular thing in idol life and always hard. Well, GOT7’s comeback have high expectation and extreme pressure from their company, fans and each other to succeed and staying at the top of their game was almost crushing. The late night trainings, vocal practices and the promotional activities which comes as a pair with their comeback, drains them out. So, being moody or gloomy during this period of time was usual stuff for them. But, Yugyeoum has been like that for little too long.

He would be laughing and making fun like the giant maknae he is, on screen while off screen nobody can get a glimpse of smile from him. GOT7 has been busy lately. They had continues comebacks in Japanese and Korean, together with winter edition too. The members noticed the changes in Yugyeom’s behavior but nobody took the initiative to ask why.

“Hyung, yugyeoum is not acting normal these days. He is keep on checking his phone and avoiding me,” complained Bambam playfully to Jinyoung.

Jinyoung being the mother of the group, he knew Yugeoum has some problems but he play along with Bambam’s complain. He is not ready to interfere in his dongseng’s life. Even though they know each other for more than 5 years now and Jinyoung always give useful advice to his dongseng, this time he want his little dongseng to grow up and stand for himself. Face the problems he is going through daringly rather than hiding away from it.

“He must be tired, Bam-ah. Let him be alone for a while. He will be alright,” replied him as he was cleaning their dorm.

While others were resting or doing their own stuffs, Yugyeoum’s mind went back to the last message he received from his loved one.

‘It’s over, Oppa. Let’s break up. I’ll never show up in front of you again. Goodbye.’

  1. his girl would send caring and lovely message to him. Her messages will be either a reminder for him to take care of himself or a love message to brighten his day. She would always be the first to approach him. She was the understanding girlfriend he ever had.

Even during their school days, she was the caring and matured person in their relationship. She will always try to understand the situation before taking any action. She was like a good friend, lover and sometimes mother for him. Why out of sudden she broke up with him, when everything was going smoothly. What exactly he did wrong?

He goes through the photos they took together years back and his mind brings him back to the past memories.

~

“Yugyeoum-ah, give back my book. Do the homework by yourself… don’t cheat,” said she irritated as she was jumping to get back her book.

What else she can do, when her so-called boyfriend was just too tall for her.

“Yah, I’m older than you. Call me Oppa,”

“Older by just one month! Hand over the book,”

“Areum-ah let me copy this once. I’ll be good next time,”

“That’s what you said yesterday. Now give back the book,” they both run around the classroom and fight like kindergarten kids.

Even though they argue about every small thing and fight all the time, they both can’t go a day without seeing each other.

Yugyeoum came into her life when she was 18. She was the top student of the school and she was a student representative too. Every teacher in the school adore her for her intelligence and responsible attitude. The students always respect her and treat her well. She treat every student equally, either they’re from poor background or rich background. For her, it means nothing.

The only problem she had was, being a little introvert. She would never start a conversation to anybody unless it’s necessary. She was shy to approach anybody. But, if someone respect her and start a conversation, she wouldn’t ignore them. So, when Yugyeoum came into her class, she didn’t talk to him for 4 months. Not even greetings.

He was the dream boy she imagined all her teenage life. His smile, his swag, even the way he talk, admired her. She was a fan for his freestyle dance. She had a secret crush on him. Sometimes, Areum will just hide behind the empty classroom to watch him dancing. She was too shy to say anything and also afraid to reveal her feelings. The usual, ‘what’s if’ questions made her reluctant to talk to him.

But, that’s all ended and a new chapter begin in her life when Yugyeoum made the first move. It started as

“Hye, there. I’m your new partner for chemistry project.”

Thanks to their chemistry teacher, Mr. Kim they become partner for a chemistry project and soon end up as a real couples. Yugyeoum’s influence changed her. He actually made her come out of her comfort zone and explore the world outside it.

He loved her for being so mature and childish at the same time. Her cuteness was only exclusive for him. He would simply make her angry to look at her cute pout face. They were so happy until the tragic incident happen in Areum’s life. She lost her parents in a hit and run accident case. She was the only child in the family. So, the loss of her parents affected her so much.

“ Yugyeoum-ah, you haven’t slept yet?” asked Jackson who just come home from his solo schedule.

“Not sleepy ,Hyung,” he replied without lifting his face from the smart phone. Jackson’s question bought him out of his short flashback.

“Not sleepy or can’t sleep?”

Jackson’s question actually made sense. He can’t sleep because he was thinking about his Areum, because he miss her so much. All he have to do was dialing her number and settle the things. But, he is not ready.

“Kim Yugyeoum, you need inner peace to advance forward. By looking at you, I sure that’s what you’re lacking. Why don’t you relax a bit and think about it ,” said Jackson before he disappear into his shared room with Mark.

“True, all I have to do is meet her, hyung,” thought Yugyeoum as he just lay down on the sofa and escaped to dream land.

~

3 weeks ago,

The weather has been snowy recently. The snowy evening footprints and tire marks were imprinted in the snow. Waiting for your loved ones in a warm coffee shop during winter is romantic. Areum was waiting for her loved one too. The only different in this romantic scene was the said person is late by 4 hours. They planned to meet for a date at 3 pm. It’s been 5 months since they last saw each other face to face.

Due to his continuously packed schedules, they couldn’t meet at all. His was too busy with his idol work. Starting from the promotion of confession song to Japanese comeback called ‘Moriagetteyo’, then the preparation and practices for Flight Log: Departure, he was just too full of activity. So after his comeback promotion for their latest song, they planned to meet before he leave again for the ‘Fly Tour’.

The long waiting period made her feel bad. Every ticking second made her felt insecure. This sense of insecurity has been lingering in her mind for almost four years now. It all started when Yugyeoum receive his official trainee letter from JYP Entertainment. She was the first person to be happy for him. But, as his fame increase, she started to doubt herself. His fandom expand from Korea to overseas. The time he spend with her gradually decreased.;

All the love he get from his fans were more than the love she had showered him before. She couldn’t cope up with the rising competition. Even though she was unsure of certain things, she choose to be patient and trust their love.

“Jagiya…,” comes the voice she missed the most.

She turned around to face the only person she longed to meet. She stand on her feet to welcome him and just in few seconds, she was engulfed by a warm hug. That hug could make all the worries and problems she had to vanish in the air.

“Yugyeu…Yugyeoum Oppa….,” she corrected herself.

“I missed you, Areum-ah,” he said as he made her sit by pulling the chair for her.

“Nado,” she replied as he hold her hand in his.

They sat by facing each other and holding hands.

“How were you? I’m sorry that I couldn’t make it for your graduation. I was busy ,Jagiya. To be honest, I should leave in an hour. We have a late night practice today and Jaebum hyung just gave me hour permission. I’m really sorry. I hope you understand,” his one statement made her loss for words.

“It’s okay. I understand,” was the only thing she could reply.

Then, they had their early dinner at the same coffee shop. She asked about his work and how was everything. He was too excited to explain how was their promotional activities in Tokyo, how tired he was these days and he still managed to meet her in his hectic schedule.

During the whole conversation, he would look into her eyes and stare at her lovingly. That’s all she needs, his attention. So, she listen to very single word he spoke with full of attention.

 

“Oppa, can you company me to somewhere before you leave for the Fly Tour?”

“Hmmm. Where? Tell me the date, so that I could check my schedules with the hyungs,” he replied while eating the last scope of her ice-cream. It always happen.

Being the baby maknae of the global artist K-POP boy bang GOT7, he loves to be pampered. Even though he is older than her, she loved to care for him. He was like a best friend, lover and a baby for her. A small cut on his finger could literally make her cry buckets. She just can’t see him in pain.

“It’s my parent’s death anniversary. I’ll really appreciate if you join me to do the rituals,” she said slowly as she don’t want to make him feel pressured.

“Two years ago, they were here to bless us. I was too surprised when your dad said yes to us. But, they happen to leave us so early,”

Saying those words just remind her past memories of her family. She lost her parents due to a hit and run accident. She was involved in the accident too. Watching her parents die in front of her eyes was too traumatic for her. She lost all the will to live at that moment in her life. Yugyeoum was there, right beside her during the whole time. He ditched his trainings to company her. He actually helped her to get back to herself. When her own relatives can’t understand her pain, her feelings, he did. He understood everything and stayed by her side. He took better care of her best friend was not around and even after she returned. He made her find hope and continue her studies. He was like her guardian angel.

Just as she wanted to continue their talk and have some happy talk, his phone ranged.

Oh, Hyung. Okay, okay, I’m leaving now,” said him as he hang up the call.

“Is something wrong?”

“JYP-nim is coming to check on our late night practice. I must leave right now or else I’ll be late. Hope you understand,” he explained as he took his belongings and kissed her forehead before leaving the coffee shop.

He left even before she could say ‘Love you’ or a ‘Goodbye’. She wanted to have a wonderful night with him. Not much, just a small talk, walk by the Han River or by her neighborhood and a goodbye kiss. But as usual, he left early. She can’t blame him. He was a rising idol. She should understand.

Maybe she should be sorry to expect more, expect him to be the same boy that spend 24/7 with her. Now, she got to get used to his schedule and hectic life.

~

That day ended just like that and she lost the mood to do anything else completely. The next day as usual, she sent him a good morning text before leaving to hospital.

She reached the hospital she’s doing practical in more or less in half an hour.

“Hye, Areum. How was your date?” asked her best friend Lisa. She wrinkle her eyes teasingly to get to know the whole story.

“Nothing’s new. Like usual, I waited and then he came. We chatted about him for more like 40 minutes and had dinner. Then, he left because of practice,” she explained it calmly as it was nothing.

“What ??!! He did that again and you’re not even mad. Are you even human?”

“Lisa, I know my boyfriend. He is just a bit busy. So, as an understanding girlfriend, I must be thoughtful and encourage him more,”

“It’s not about being supporting or not. It’s about you. What about you? See here, Areum-ah. We’re in our horsemanship right now. We’ve been busy too, but you still manage to text him or call him. Yugyeoum is not doing anything…,”

“He was like that since our school days. Why are you making that as a problem now,”

“No, Areum. Nothings same as our school days. He should show some responsibility too. I know both of you from school days,”

  1. you still blame him, Lisa? I just got to understand him. He promised to attend my parent’s death anniversary. That’s enough for me,” with that she continued to do her job. Lisa couldn’t agree to that. From her point of view, it looks like a one-sided relationship.

Everything that Lisa said actually made sense. Areum knows that too. But, she doesn’t want to lose the beautiful memories they had and the wonderful bond they share. All she had to do was, wait.

‘I can do this,’ she reminded herself as she continued her daily routine.

~

“That’s all for today, boys. You can get back to hotel and rest,” said their dance coordinator.

“AH…,I’m damn….tired. Someone carry me back to hotel,” whined Youngjae as he lay flat on the floor.

Jackson just joined him on the floor while the rest of them get ready to leave. It’s almost 12pm and they have another concert in two days time. So, they need rest. Singing, dancing and running around the concert hall to entertain the fan is not easy. It needs a lot of energy.

So, they decided to get back to hotel and hit the bed after a quick shower.

“Yugyeoum-ah, your phone ringed just now. Don’t you want to check?,” asked Jinyoung as he was checking his on phone.

“Ah…ij-eo beolyeoss-eo,” said him and pass through the screen lock.

His phone wallpaper was the selca of him with Areum which he took during his school days. Ever since he become an idol, he was not allowed to appear in public with her nor take any photos.

As he was checking , he noticed some voice messages from his girlfriend that he left unheard. For the first time, he felt bad about himself. He was busy, yes. But not too busy to ignore her voice messages for several days. He quickly put on his headset and started to play the voice messages one by one.

‘Yugyeoum-ah,…are you busy? Are you taking your meals properly? Amma, Appa’s death anniversary is on coming Friday. Don’t forget,’ (14th April, 22:30)

‘Hmm…..looks like you’re busy, that you haven’t seen my voice message. It’s okay, still got time. Take care, Oppa. I love you,’ (15th April, 23:00)

‘Yugyeoum, I’m doing fine. Hope you’re too. I wanted to remind you about the anniversary, it’s on the day after tomorrow. Please….don’t forget,’ ( 17th April, 23:30)

‘ Yuyeoum-ah, I miss you. I’ll meet you tomorrow at the ritual place at 10pm. I’ll wait for you, bye. Miss you,’ (18th April, 23:45)

 

“Hyung, what’s today’s date?” he asked alarmed.

“Why? Did you forgot someone’s birthday?” joked Bambam.

“I’m ing serious! Quickly tell me the date,” he half screamed.

“It’s 21st April. Actually 22nd April, because it pass 12 right now. Why are you getting worked up?” he questioned back.

“,,….Hyung I’ll get back to hotel first,” said him as he run out of their practice room with his phone.

“What’s wrong?” questioned Mark who just got back to the room with Jaebum by his side.

Jinyoung just shrug his shoulders while the others just stare blankly at one another.

 

“Pick up x3, Areum-ah, please pick up the phone,”

Yugyeoum dialed her number for the nth time and she didn’t pick up the call. All this years together with her, she had never leave his call enter voicemail box.

He felt anxious as he kept trying. Finally, his call was answered.

“Yeoboseyo…”

“Areum-ah…Ah, why didn’t you pick up the call. I was damn worried. Never do that again,” he just shouted at her without giving a break for her to reply

“I was in ER. Sorry, couldn’t answer your call. What’s the matter?” she asked formally.

“Areum-ah, I’m really sorry. I was busy with the tour preparation that I didn’t check my phone. I’m sorry I missed the anniversary. I’m really sorry. I hope you understand,”

“I understand. I’ll call you back,” with that she hang up the call.

He was dumbfounded. She’s not the type of girl that hold grudges. Since it was his fault, he didn’t call or disturb her again. But at the same time, in Seoul, Myungsoo hospital Areum waited for him to apologies or at least try to contact her.

You can always say sorry, but the real apology is when you hear the sadness in their voice and see the look in their eye and you realize that they have hurt themselves just as much, which she couldn’t find in Yugyeoum just now.

~

After that night, she didn’t contact him at all. All he received was that text message. That message made him feel confuse and miserable. He got two more days for his world tour to end. The first thing he’s going to do is meet her as soon as he landed in Seoul. He needs an explanation. He can’t believe that she wants a break up for missing a single anniversary.

~

The flight landed in Seoul, Incheon International Airport. Yugyeoum took the car from their manager and drive towards the Myungsoo Hospital to meet Areum. The distance between the airport and hospital is around 200km. It would take at least 3 hours to reach the destination. But, yugyeoum reached the hospital in less than an hour and half. He wants to meet her as soon as possible.

He parked the car and walked into Accident & Emergency ward to meet his girl. He noticed her doing her duty dedicatedly.

“Excuse me, I’m here to meet to Dr. Lee Areum,” said him at the counter to meet her without interrupting her duty.

He waited for her at the outside garden. After 20 minutes, he saw her walking towards him.

“Hi, Yugyeoum. When did you reached Seoul?” she asked causally.

“Areum-ah, what’s this?” he questioned angrily by showing the text message he received from her.

“That’s a dare, oppa,”

“What!!?? Are you kidding me? Do you know, how worried I was? I drove here as soon as I landed in Seoul. I was damn worried about you, about us and all the excuse you have was to say it was a dare!!!?” he fired everything he wanted to ask at her without giving a break.

“You could have called me,” she defended herself.

“You always call me first. But, you didn’t even text me for pass three weeks. Why are you doing this to me. You know I was busy, you’ve changed Areum-ah. I’m disappointed in you,” he was too mad.

“Have you done talking? May I talk now?” she asked calmly. Her calmness made him angry.

“What is it?”

“I’m sorry that I didn’t text you for pass three weeks. I’m sorry that I couldn’t contact you cause I was busy with my doctor job. I’m sorry that I let Lisa to use my phone for her dare game,” she said as her eyes were filled with warm tears.

Her words made Yugyeoum to think. She didn’t send the text, it was Lisa’s doing but he scolded her without really knowing the situation.

“Areum-ah, I was…,”

“I’m sorry that I waited for your reply daily like a fool even thought I know you’ll never do that. I’m sorry that, I always find time in between my duties to contact you, in which you would never pick up. I’m sorry that I expected you to come for my parent’s funeral even though I know you’ll never make it just like my graduation. I’m sorry that I still love you and missed you so much,”

She didn’t let him speak and said everything she wanted to say all this time. She had waited for his reply many times, but never once she got mad like this. Because, she tried to understand the situation from his shoes and she wanted to secure this relationship.

“Being my girlfriend, I know you have the right to be angry at my mistakes. But, don’t forget that being your boyfriend, I too have the right to pamper you until you accept my apology. I’m really sorry, Areum-ah. I was busy…,”

“No. You don’t understand. Too busy is a myth, Yugyeoum. People will make time for the things that are really important to them. Looks like I was not important for you.”

“No. that’s not true. You know that too,”

“I don’t desire to talk to you each day. All I desire was to know that each day you’re fine, each day you’re happy, each day you’re getting closer to your dream and each day you do think of me at least once in 24 hours. But, you didn’t. You blamed me for something that I didn’t do and got mad for nothing.”

“Areum, let me fix this,”

“You can’t, Oppa. Because, you don’t understand. You always wants me to understand but not once you understand me. How stress my life is, how lonely I felt without you by my side. How miserable I was when you left my messaged in seen and never once you called me to know how was I doing,” tears streamed down her eyes like a waterfall.

Yugyeoum couldn’t say anything to defend himself. Every single thing she’s mentioning is true. This time, it was his entire fault. He should have shown more interest in her life. She cared for him all the time. He was busy being happy with all the attention he received from his girlfriend, fans and hyungs. In that excited, he forgot that love is not just about receiving but giving too. He forgot that there’s a girl back home, waiting for him without expecting anything in return.

“I didn’t send that text, Yugyeoum. But that’s what I’m going to do from now on,”

“Lee Areum….,”

“I’m tired now, Oppa. I’m tired of being alone and sad. Tired of waiting for you and expecting you to understand me. I need someone who can be happy with me for who whom I am his world. Whose hand I can hold on dark lonely nights…that can live and die for me only. I just want to forget everything and start a new,”

“I’ll be everything you want, Areum-ah. Please give me a chance. I can fix this, us. I’ll be good after this. I’ll text you daily, contact you daily…no I’ll just drop by to meet you daily. I’ll never let you down again, please give me a chance,”

This time, his apology and promise for the future felt sincere to her ears. But, the choices are made.

“I’m sorry, Yugyeoum. Lets break up. We’re over. But, I want you to know that when I imagine myself happy, it will be only with you. Erase me from your memory. Rise to your crown without thinking about me. Goodbye,” she said as she wiped the tear stains on her face and walked off from that scene.

The tears that he’s been holding, finally came out as he cry. He lost her due to his neglectful. All he could do now is doesn’t add misery to her already miserable life. He cried there until his eyes went dry.

~

“Why did you do that?” questioned Lisa as she saw the whole drama outside at the garden.

“You wanted to meet him. You missed him. Then, why did you hurt him with your words like that? Explain Areum!?” questioned Lisa angrily.

“Because, he deserve better. I’m not good enough for him, Lisa. He was great idol and I don’t want to be an obstacle in his success. We both know that someone have to bare the pain. I’ll do that for him. At least, let him be happy,” she said as she cried painfully in Lisa’s arm.

 

That night , a couple broke up not because of misunderstanding, not because of some random jealously or envy but, because of the extreme love they had for each other. That night Areum decided to let go of her love, her soul and the only living hope in her life for her loved one to be successful.

‘I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up,’ thought Areum as she wiped off the remaining tears in her face. It might hurt her now, but maybe in future, she’ll be proud of her sacrifice.

~