Chapter 21: Know Thy Enemy

Inbetween Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The clink of the well made dwarven cuffs that he’d specifically requested from Sunny sounded through the damp cell that they held the old but regally dressed vampire.

His Father.

A deep sense of loathing filled his veins as he stared at the similarly coloured violet irises that were set in his father’s face--the only similarity that he had attesting to his lineage that linked him to the filthy and debauched man seated regally on the floor before him.

 

The old vampire snarled in his chains as Jiyong stooped down to stare at him impassively, his purple eyes glinting dangerously in the flickering candlelight.

 

“You were the one that leaked information?” A cold shiver darted down the old vampire’s spine at his words. “I’m asking you a question, old man.” Jiyong’s fists clenched tightly, nails digging deeply into his palms. “Answer me.”

 

“So what if I did?” The old vampire spat viciously in his direction. “You’re nothing but a disgrace! A blemish of imperfection in my family line.” A low clatter of a sword faltering in its slash into the cold air filled their ears as Youngbae threw down his sword, snarling as he lunged at the old vampire chained to the ground.

 

“Take that back!” The scorn on the vampire’s face was clear as he stared down Youngbae and Daesung, who was holding his older sibling back with Seungri.

 

“Perhaps that contamination extended to even those of my pureblooded family, such a---” His words were abruptly cut off as Jiyong hurled a loud slap to his face, the blow causing the old vampire’s head to violently whip to the side, surprise clearly imprinted in his features.

 

“You endangered my wife.” The cold rage in Jiyong’s eyes was searing.

 

“Your problem, not mine.” The old vampire spat on the ground, snarling back himself. Jiyong stooped down to look into the old vampire’s eyes.

 

“Please don’t give me a reason to kill you.” He paused for a moment, allowing the words to sink into the cold frigid air between them, his violet eyes glowing dangerously as his lips parted to utter those words. “Because we both know that I won’t hesitate.” The violence that bled into his words sent shivers down everyone who was within hearing range in the dungeon. “I prefer going back to my wife’s side a happy man, so speak. Who did you sell the information to?”

 

There was a moment’s pause as the old vampire considered Jiyong’s words for a moment, the heavy silence between everyone in the dungeon sinking like a chill into their bones. Jiyong exhaled roughly, the inklings of impatience stirring in the chambers of his heart as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

 

A low flicker of arrogance and understanding in the older vampire’s eyes has his eyes followed the urgent switching of his son’s feet that betrayed his sense of urgency.

 

“You...don’t know when the next attack is gonna be carried out on that of yours, don’t you?” The smirk on his father’s face stirred the monster within the depths of Jiyong’s heart, and Youngbae lunged for his brother just in time just as the other male’s strong hands found their purchase around their father’s neck.

 

“Jiyong! Control yourself! We still need the information he has--” He released his hands on his brother’s suit at the chilly glare that his older brother sends his way, quickly heaving a sigh and raising his hands in surrender. “I was just stating the facts.” Jiyong jerked his vest roughly, exhaling roughly just as their father started to laugh, snorting through mouthfuls of air and blood through his shattered mouth.

 

“Tell me everything you know about that man called Wooyoung.” Jiyong snarled, his patience fraying as his father grinned, shaking his head lightly.

 

“After all these years, you never did learn from your past, did you?” He crooned, violet eyes flickering menacingly. “What do you have on me that forces me to obey you?” His chin lifted arrogantly at the younger man, a wolfish grin spreading across his slightly wrinkled features.

 

There was a stagnant pause of silence as Jiyong’s lip curled thoughtfully.

 

“You know, I’ve been meaning to pay a visit to Jihyun and his mother these few days. Perhaps I should change my schedule to fit that into place.” His violet eyes glazed cross his father’s face lazily, enjoying the sudden vanish of the smug smile on the older man’s face.

 

“You wouldn’t dare.” The light tremble of fear and rage in his father’s voice sent a deep satisfaction coursing through his veins. “Jihyun’s your brother!”

 

“Of course I would. He’s my half-sibling, an offspring of a of yours that I don’t care about and a threat to my heir line.”He reasoned smoothly. “There is none more important to you than the five year old son born to you via that young . You even sent him to the countryside to protect him from us.” A mocking smile graced his lips.

 

“Kwon Jiyong, if a bastard like you dares to even lay hands on Jihyun and his mother, I will---”

 

“You will. You will...what?” He tilted his head, his magnificently coloured eyes glowing iridescently. “You see..”He adjusted the ruffled lapels on his father’s once pristine coat. “We both each other’s weaknesses. You know mine lies with my beloved.” His finger prodded sharply against the old vampire’s chest, a coy smile adorning his handsome face. “And I know that your lies with the bastard boy born to you via that girl. By right the power balance between us is equal--you could threaten my beloved just as I could threaten your bastard boy. But now,”His eyes roved over the restrained figure of his father, “the only difference is that I’ve captured you, and I can easily raise my hand against your poor son in any way now that you’re neutralised. And so your hard earned balance has once again...tipped the scales in my absolute favour.” He patted his father’s head pityingly. “Think about it well, Kwon Daehyun.” Ice spread over his voice vehemently. “Give up your information or see your son’s mutilated body within the next few hours. We both know I am not above giving the most painful deaths to five year olds and their helpless mothers.” He stood abruptly, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he turned, glowering darkly. “You have an hour to make your decision.”

 

“Taeyeon Unnie!” Taeyeon staggered as a whirlwind of blonde hurtled into her body. She quickly swung Judy aside, transferring the tiny girl to her left hand as she reflexively enveloped Yeri with her right.

 

“Whoa whoa. Hey there, you.” A fond smile caressed her face as she brushed the stray blonde strands away from the younger girl’s face.

 

“OH~MEE~GOOOOODDDD!” Taeyeon instinctively flinched back as Yeri took one look at her and screeched. “YOU CUT YOUR HAIR!” She blinked at the younger girl, an amused smile slowly forming across her lips as she  shook her head, pretending to clear out her ears at the deafening screech Yeri had produced.

 

“Well...it was high time for a change.” She patted Yeri’s head lightly, turning in surprise as four other girls trailed behind, crouching closer to the doors, her eyebrows furrowing slightly as she strained to recall their names. She was familiar with at least two or three of them--a faint flicker of a doting smile crossed her face as Irene flitted towards her for a shy hug, burrowing to her side like the quiet feline that she always was.  “I haven’t seen you for a week and you’ve gone and become prettier.” She teased, tickling the bottom of the flushed witch’s chin. “And I see you’ve made friends!” The purpled haired witch flushed, burying her face in embarrassment into Taeyeon’s shoulder, her hands catching intimately to another girl with yet another familiar face, of which within sat a set of jaded eyes, beautiful in their emerald hue but saddened and burdened by a mysterious air of worriedness.

 

“Seungwan!” They jolted as Yuri’s surprised voice floated into the hallway of the air blip, before the lycanthrope’s eyes landed on Taeyeon’s new hair, her jaw dropping at the sight. “Oh. Wow.” Taeyeon blinked at her reaction, a light chuckle catching between her lips as Jessica followed behind, scowling at her girlfriend’s reaction and reaching over to snap shut the girl’s open jaws. “You know, if I wasn’t taken, I would totally do you.” Taeyeon burst into a fit of giggles as Wendy hissed in mortification at her sister’s words, wrangling her free hand to smack the older lycanthrope just as Jessica breathed dangerously down the nape of her neck.

“Did I hear something?” The ice queen’s voice was coy just as it was freezing.

 

“Nope! My bad.” Yuri mustered up a grin, quickly reaching over to tug and peck the jealous girl on her lips.

 

“Oh ew! My precious eyes. I swear, my precious, precious eyes!” Wendy smiled shyly as Yeri clutched her neck, yelping dramatically just as her sister and Jessica locked lips.

 

“Unnie.” Irene’s quiet voice stirred Taeyeon momentarily from her reverie, the soft timbre of the shy girl’s voice soothing her still slightly frazzled nerves. “Judy’s asleep. Want me to take her?” Taeyeon blinked, her head whipping around to her left where she cradled the youngest girl, who had taken to sinking her tiny hands into her clothes and snoozing lightly against her shoulder, half of her face buried as she clung like a tiny koala to the side of her shirt.

 

“Thanks.” The realisation that she had been carrying a tiny child on her left arm without any support instantly sent a streak of aching pains shooting up her slender arm, the relief in her face apparent as the younger purple haired girl took the snoozing child off her arms. Taeyeon watched with mild relief as Judy mewled slightly in her sleep, her nose nuzzling to the front of Irene’s sweater to sniff her scent slightly before relaxing and falling back into deep sleep. “And..who might you be?” She turned her attention to the more matured looking girl, whose shoulder

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter