Chapter 18: The Lady of Kirlkirk

Inbetween Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The morning that they reached Kirlkirk came by within a blink of the eye, despite the length of the days that had passed. It was an entire week travelling through the darkness of the portals before the bright beams of sunlight burst into Taeyeon’s eyes on the morning they reached the Dwarven kingdom, waking her alongside the freezing temperatures in the room. Goosebumps rose on Taeyeon’s skin as she rubbed her skin, a breath of steaming air escaping her lips as her bare feet found purchase in the thick carpet beneath her feet. The left side of the bed remained bare, unrumpled save her own sheets and right side of the bed. Taeyeon’s eyes flickered, drawn to the corner couch where Jiyong lay, mouth wide open as he snored in an obscene manner, his neck and body crumpled in an uncomfortable position on the couch. A light huff of laughter escaped her lips.

 

Jiyong snorted as a pillow hit his face, jerking awake blearily as a familiar but beautiful face peered down at him from the top bemusedly.

 

“Hey.” He grumbled, messing up his hair awkwardly with a cute grin.

 

“Did you just sleep down here instead of the bed for the entire night?” Taeyeon stared at him incredulously. “You do know how uncomfortable that is, don’t you?”

 

“Well…” Jiyong trailed off awkwardly, embarrassed. “Yeah. But I’m not taking my chances with what happened last night.” Taeyeon couldn’t stop the grin that crept up over her face.

 

“Aw. Thats so sweet of you.” She slipped on her dress for the day, tying her dark hair into a neat plait. “I’ll see you when I get back, alright?” Jiyong nodded, grumbling to himself as soon as she went out of the door, glaring at the sunlight and creeping under the bedcovers for a proper rest.

 

~~~~

“So this is Kirlkirk.” Awe filled Taeyeon’s voice as she stared at the sight before her. The portal that they had passed through buzzed lowly, humming a sweet tone that barely disturbed the serene presence of the village before them. Sooyoung grinned, catching hold of Taeyeon’s elbow.

 

“Wait till you see Elthepea.” She boasted, cheeks flushed with excitement. “Hayeon and I will show you around underwater, its definitely more magnificent than here.” Taeyeon chuckled at the Siren’s excitement. For the past few days, Sooyoung had been changing the way she looked at the seemingly prim and proper Siren. Instead of the strict, stoic form that she had gained as an impression in the beginning, Sooyoung was more cheerful and playful than she had previously expected. In fact, she blended in well with Yoona’s extraordinary energy and Hyoyeon’s mischief. The three musketeers of pranks and mischief, Taeyeon liked to call them privately in her mind.

 

She turned her light brown eyes to gaze at the village once more, inhaling deeply the thick sweet scent of hay and wheat in the air, as well as a searing tinge of metal. It was a exquisite but unique scent to get used to, but one that Taeyeon felt she rather enjoyed.

 

“The Dwarfs are mainly masters of crafting. They rarely leave their village.” Jessica approached their group with wild bed hair and a large yawn. “They’re rather...unpleasant to look at, but they do have a singular exception. Have you heard of the Beispellios?” Taeyeon shook her head lightly, eyes sparkling as the faint sounds of metal being crafted filled their ears, the smoking volcano in the distance billowing ash clouds in the horizon.

 

“Beispellios are beautiful dwarves, female in nature, usually born once in a few millenium or a thousand years, I can’t exactly remember.” Jessica gave another wide yawn, much to the chagrin of Yuri, who smacked her in the back of the head abruptly. “Alright, alright!” She huffed, turning to the side to comb through her messy hair. “The person we’re gonna convince to leave is call Sunny. She’s known as the Lady of Kirlkirk. Master of Crafting.” She snorted impertinently through her nose. “You’ll understand when you see her.”

 

“I..will?” Taeyeon felt caught between laughing at Jessica’s apparent disgruntledness and childishness.  “Alright.” She held up her hands as Jessica the comb in her hand threateningly in her direction. “I will.”

 

The wide doors barring their entry into the village gave a huge groan-like sound of the bellows, before gaping open to the interior of the small village like city. A wave of intense heat assaulted the girls instantaneously, blowing them back a few paces as they gasped for breath in the sweltering heat, an eerie silence following as they entered the seemingly deserted village. The village was absolutely silent, save for the sounds of hammers against metal, and the scorching smell of metal being constantly tweaked and created.

 

“Here.” Yuri beckoned, pointing to the house that sat right smack in the middle of the center, billowing smoke constantly like a belching and smouldering forge.

 

“Looks hot.” Sooyoung shrank back instinctively, whining slightly as she clutched onto Taeyeon’s arms. “I don’t do well in hot environments.” The Siren sweated profusely as she stared pleadingly at the rest of the girls. “I’ll melt.” She bemoaned broodingly as Taeyeon giggled at her reaction.

 

“Oh please.” Jessica growled, stomping her way into the middle house as quickly as she could, and Sooyoung straightens instantly, stretching as she herself gave a loud yawn.

 

“What’s been shoved up her ?” The Siren snorted, nudging Yuri from the side. “Or maybe she was just---”

 

“Finish t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter