Chapter 8: My Younger Sister Is a Carnivorous Fish

Inbetween Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 [Irene]    [Yeri]   [Minho]

Taeyeon mused morosely as she played with the now purple strands of Irene’s hair. The nineteen year old had celebrated her eighteenth birthday before, but due to her weaker witch side, had needed some guidance and help in order to breach to through her change. They’d all delayed the trip to visiting Hayeon, staying by Irene’s side to ensure that the young witch passed through her violent and intense fever. Yeri had cried, the young girl now an Elf, blonde and lanky, but still very much attached to her older sibling. Minho was clearly upset, his shocking white hair quivering with animosity at any other witches that tended to come closer to take a look at Irene. Much to their surprise, Minho was one of the rare calibered witches that were usually found among witch halflings. These witches were abnormally powerful, and highly attuned to a certain, or a few attributes. Minho’s magical talent was so strong that the powerful witch BoA took him as an apprentice, alongside the sickly Irene.

 

As to why the lady had wanted Irene, who was neither very powerful in her witch magic nor stabilized, Taeyeon could make a vague but calculated guess at the similarities between BoA and Irene. Both of them had looked in particular, rather similar to each other, so much so that many suspected them related, but had dare not say anything in fear of the older witch sending curses raining down on them. But there were differences that Taeyeon could clearly see. While Irene’s face was similar in shape to BoA’s, and her eyes the same bright beams when excited, Irene’s features were shaped by an innocent softness only found in the young, while BoA’s features were lined with the hard lessons that had taught the witch well. Age never seemed to be the factor that differentiated the two, but BoA’s lips never curved into the same sweet innocent smile that Irene’s lips would, instead choosing to merely tug upwards, albeit a little reluctantly.

 

“Are we there yet?” Taeyeon was both exasperated and pleased to see that Yeri had still retained her excitement and energy despite the change in her physical and biological nature. The young girl’s light hair mixed with her own as both of them peered over Irene’s shoulder, the young witch’s purple hair coincidentally tangling with Yeri’s own, much to both their chagrin. Taeyeon glanced to the back of the car, where Minho sat, more sulky than usual. She grinned, shaking her head. He had been like that ever since the Draconians had told Minho Jonghyun was unable to join them, due to his dragon’s unpredictable nature. Truth be told, Taeyeon missed the sweet depositioned Jonghyun to large degrees. He was cute, and had never failed to brighten her day when she needed it. Meanwhile, Minho was just the opposite. It was tiring enough to be happy for herself, and when it came to Minho, who, despite both their adamant refusals, was more alike in character to her, Taeyeon simply couldn’t find the strength and energy that Jonghyun had to energise both their lazy and dull souls.

 

The car suddenly jerked to a stop, and Yeri cheered loudly, bouncing about in the car like a wild ping pong ball. Taeyeon stared at her feet, and the lack of a wheelchair in the aisle, still disbelieving of the fact that she could somewhat--walk again.

 

“Unnie?” Irene had stayed behind, worrying her bottom lip as she watched Taeyeon stare blankly at her own two legs. “Do you need help?” Taeyeon jerked, her head flashing up to meet Irene’s own concerned eyes.

 

“No, no.” She smiled warmly, shifting her foot tentatively to take her body’s weight, stumbling a little as her mind forgot how it was supposed to walk.

 

“Unnie!” Irene’s hand flashed out, and Taeyeon found herself hovering slightly in the air, Irene’s powers having lashed out as she panicked. “I’m sorry!” She hurried forward to grip Taeyeon’s hands, pulling her down slightly to land back on the ground.

 

“Its fine. My mind just forgot momentarily how to walk.” Taeyeon felt a broad grin spread across her face as disbelieving tears gathered in her eyes. “Everything was a shock when I woke up, but now,” She inhaled the swirling fresh motes of delicious sea breeze. “I can finally register that I’m back to normal again.” Irene gave a tiny but tentative smile.

 

“Thats good right?” Taeyeon lifted her eyes to the horizon, exhaling joyfully as a small figure, waiting next to some others peered from her place at the edge of the beach, before tripping into a starting run.

 

“Yes.” She instinctively released Irene’s hands, her legs moving tentatively, before sprinting into a full blown run as the familiar figure of her sister sparked in her vision. “Hayeon!” The scream of joy was carried loudly through the winds as the small girl leapt into her arms, hands tightening around her like a constricting boa, tight but fond.

 

“Unnie!” Tears marred Taeyeon’s vision as the familiar smiling but absolutely cheeky grin of her younger sister lit up the view in her arms. Small but warm hands patted away the tears streaming down her face, giggling as she planted fond kisses all over her younger sister’s face. “Unnie’s a crybaby.” Taeyeon chuckled at the young girl’s assumption, letting her go gently as she patted to be let down.

 

“Am not. These are just happy tears.” She smiled brightly as Hayeon grasped her hand tightly, before dragging her forward to the other girls. A tall and long legged girl grinned at her cheekily from the side. Taeyeon blinked, releasing Hayeon’s hand for a moment to point at the girl.

 

“Ayo.” Sooyoung grinned at the petite blonde, wiggling her fingers. “I kept my promise, didn’t I?” Taeyeon beamed at her words, a shy laugh almost bubbling from her lips, before sweeping the taller Siren into a crushing hug. “Oof. You are strong, for someone your size.” The Siren choked, patting Taeyeon’s back awkwardly.

 

“Thank you.” Taeyeon clasped Sooyoung’s hands gently, both girls grinning as they watched Hayeon cheerfully play with the sand on the beach. She turned at a shy tap on her shoulder, blinking at the young girl around the age of fifteen blinked at her, cheeks flushed and her head ducked down embarrassedly.

 

“I’m Wendy.” Yeri peered curiously at the abnormally shy girl from behind her, her eyes brightening considerably as she noted the girl’s dressing.

 

“I’m Yeri! This is Taeyeon!” Taeyeon chuckled as the girl bubbled vivaciously from behind her, eager to meet someone clearly her age.

 

“Wendy’s my friend!” Hayeon flitted to her side, patting the shy girl’s hand gently as she beamed up at Taeyeon. “She’s another race though. Wolf kind.” Taeyeon’s eyes sparkled as her younger sister lost interest in their conversation moments later, trailing off to continue with her sand castle some distance away on the sand.

 

“I’m Seulgi. I’m...Hayeon’s caretaker in the sea?” Another young teen introduced herself bashfully. “I’m a Siren. Hayeon talks a lot about you.” She scratched the tip of her nose awkwardly. “Good things though.”

 

“Wendy’s Yuri’s younger sister.” Seeing her mild confusion, Sooyoung cheerfully took up the rol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter