Chapter 16: The City of Fairies

Inbetween Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taeyeon blinked sharply as her world jolted momentarily, her body jerking as though it was travelling on a pair of shaky wheels. She yelped as she flipped to her side, tumbling out of a bed to land heavily on the floor, banging her arm awkwardly against the carpeted floor. Her fingers rubbed the tender spot on her arm, hissing lightly as she scrunched her nose slightly, looking out at the blurring scenery outside her window.

 

The first thought that struck her was that everything was a myriad of a beautiful white and blue. Surprise coloured her features at that oddity, and Taeyeon shuffled a couple of steps closer to the window to peer out of it, shrieking in terror as a sheer steep drop appeared before her eyes, the bottom an endless array of fluffy clouds and blue hue.

 

“Dear Passengers, please be aware that we will be arriving soon in Silivia, the Capital of the Fairy City. Please be ensured that you are buckled in your flight seats, or in your beds within your rooms for the landing of the air blip. This is your pilot, Kim Hyoyeon speaking, and I wish you a great voyage in our splendid city ahead.”

 

A violent bump of landing threw Taeyeon to the side of the walls in her room, shrieking like maniac as the doors flung open to reveal a surprised Jessica and Yuri, with Tiffany trailing behind their heels tentatively.

 

“Well, isn’t this a surprise? The Sleeping Beauty is fully awake!” The three of them stared in utter surprise as Taeyeon practically flew past them to pounce on Tiffany, grabbing her collar and shaking her like a maniac.

 

“Tiffany Hwang Mi Young! Where have you been? Did you know how much I missed you?” Taeyeon ranted abruptly, her eyes frantically roving over Tiffany’s body for any physical form of injuries. “You only said you’d be gone for three weeks! Three weeks flew past and then there wasn’t any news of you! I thought you’d died or something!” Jessica and Yuri’s faces darkened as they stared at each other, Tiffany’s bewildered face flickering momentarily as confusion and understanding settled in. They had acceded to Jiyong’s request to let him personally remove the seal from Taeyeon’s mind----though it looked like he had filled in the gaps in her memories to ensure that she would never find out about his manipulation and deceit.

 

Yet another lie set upon another lie. Jessica gritted her teeth as her fists clenched.

 

“I told him not to do this, but he still went ahead with it.” She ground out to Yuri furiously. “What the hell does he think will happen when she eventually finds out? She’d come running back to him like she probably always did?” Yuri squeezed her girlfriend’s hand gently as Taeyeon turned her eyes back to them.

 

“What are we doing in the fairy city?” Confusion was clear on her face. “Is Jiyong here?”

 

“Nah.” Yuri smiled gently, slinging an arm around Taeyeon’s shoulder. “Its only us girls and you here.” Taeyeon’s head whipped back in surprise at Yuri’s words.

 

“Really!” Surprise was comically clear on her face. “I thought with Jiyong’s propensity to be jealous, he would never allow me to leave his side.” She shrugged lightly, her face surprisingly relaxed. It had stunned Jessica to see the amount of ease Taeyeon had in the contours of her faces right after the removal of the seal. It was as though she was a calmer, slightly more different person compared to before. When her memories were sealed, she was what one would describe to be more of an..introverted and private person. But the presence of someone she clearly understood and recognised had changed that. The ease of her shoulders and calmness of her body language despite being in an unfamiliar situation settled over them gently like a gentle breeze. Jessica felt her shoulders relaxing as Taeyeon gave her a light but cheery smile, flitting towards the mirror to finger her hair lightly, musing contemplatively at the dark and lilac strands with quiet thoughtfulness.

“Aren’t you surprised that its different?”Tiffany questioned her best friend tentatively, and Jessica watched as she floated to Taeyeon’s side as though she had never left, tenderly helping her best friend pull her hair out to the front.

 

“Nope.” Taeyeon shrugged. “It kinda suits me better. At least people are gonna take me more seriously.” A smile twisted at the corner of her lips. “It makes me look more matured, doesn’t it?” Tiffany hummed lightly, a slight grin on her face. “So!” Taeyeon turned back towards Jessica and Yuri. “I assume I passed out and missed the important parts of our plans.” She frowned lightly. “You didn’t bring Judy along, didn’t you?” Yuri blinked for a moment, trying to catch up with Taeyeon’s own smooth trend of thought. She shook her head after a moment.

 

“No.” She admitted, finally catching up with Taeyeon’s thoughts. “Although she’s powerful, I’d say that she’s too dangerous and volatile to bring along in this sensitive mission that we’re having.”

 

“Sensitive.” Taeyeon poured herself a glass of water as she leaned backwards slightly to contemplate Yuri’s words. “So this needs to be carried out in secret? Wouldn’t our huge group of girls attract attention?”

 

“Not really.” Jessica shrugged, finishing up for her girlfriend tenderly. “ We’re often seen together, visiting around, considering that we’re mostly made up of differing races, its not much of a surprise for us to tag along with each other when one of us is visiting.” She flashed Taeyeon a toothy smile as the doors swung open dramatically to reveal Sooyoung, who was munching on a candy bar. “So its a good cover.”

 

“Hm.” Taeyeon murmured, ignoring Sooyoung’s blatant look of shock as she reach over to steal the candy bar from the Shikshin’s hands. “So..based on the danger we’re facing, recruiting?” Sooyoung scowled, snatching back the half eaten candy bar to stuff it into as soon as it was out of Taeyeon’s hands.

 

“Something like that. More of information gathering and setting up groundwork to be able to destroy JYP rebels from the inside out.”

 

“So..spywork.” Sooyoung’s mouth gaped slightly as she processed the unfamiliar term that Taeyeon had uttered just seconds ago.

 

“S-s-spywork?” She stammered, toying with the unfamiliar word in .

 

“As in, Reconnaissance and Espionage.” Sooyoung’s mouth instinctively formed an ‘o’ as Taeyeon explained the word in further detail.

 

“Yeah! Absolutely.” She affirmed, before tapping on her chin thoughtfully, muttering under her breath. Jessica despaired quietly at Yuri’s side, watching as a creepy smile flitted across Sooyoung’s face as she continued muttering to herself.

 

“I don’t like this.” She groaned lightly to her girlfriend as Yuri grinned. “I don’t like this at all. I feel like she’s planning something terribly embarrassing for me!”

 

“I just thought of something magnificent.” Minutes later, Jessica’s premonition came true as Sooyoung boldly strode over, a beaming smile bright on her face. “Taeyeon’s words inspired me!” Taeyeon raised a questioning eyebrow in Tiffany’s direction, only to be offered a shake of a head and a light sigh on the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter