Chapter 10: Tales Of The Past, Haunt Us The Most

Inbetween Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taeyeon placed the paintbrush down with an enigmatic sigh as Jiyong sent his files crashing to the floor with a decisive blow for the third time in the row. It had only been two months since she was successfully stated as Queen of Silver Hollow, which brought not much change to her private life, considering the fact that she rarely chose to move out of the palace, only flitting between their chambers, Jiyong’s workroom, and the art studio that he had created and built just for her in the gardens.

 

She really appreciated the gesture and effort Jiyong had put in to make her feel comfortable by presenting her things that she liked, though he did have the tendency to go over the top with certain expressions and presentations, much to her embarrassment. In fact, the past few months had only served to teach her how much of a polar opposite they both were to each other. Jiyong was by no way artsy, though he did have a passion for creating music. He was rash, impulsive, and prone to aggressive bouts of anger, that often sent his prepositions and files that he had to read through as the king crashing to the floor in a pile of glorified mess. In contrast, Taeyeon herself was more..calm and passionate. While Jiyong was brash in many ways, Taeyeon simply approached things with a gentle and comforting manner. Her character had appealed so much to the citizens, that it had even caused a serious improvement in the relationships between the aristocrats and the commoners of Silver Hollow. People loved her quiet demanour, and the fresh balm her gentle disposition often brought to Jiyong’s fiery temperament. She would be the one advisors sought to calm down Jiyong, due to her being slow to anger, and if there were any disputes that required...a tad more finesse, many learnt through the hard way that she was by far, a more feasible person to approach to ask for help in solving their problems. That was not to say she wasn’t to be feared. None liked the Queen being angry. Taeyeon’s demanour often meant she was a hard person to anger, but when her temper did rile up, she was often worser than Jiyong in her fiery words and admonishment. Even the anchronistic elders agreed the wise choice Jiyong had chosen to induct her as his Queen. She was gentle and level headed when needed to be, but didn’t fear either, delivering deserved sentences and harsh punishments when needed to.

 

“Really, Jiyong.” Taeyeon deadpanned, scowling as she stooped down to pick up Jiyong’s files with a swift hand for the third time in the row. “I’d appreciate you stop making my back hurt.” She flitted back to her painting, resuming her work with gentle poise and grace, humming lightly to herself for a while as Jiyong covered his face with his hands. “What’s wrong?” She mused lightly, the light sound of her brush against the canvas a light comforting balm to both their agitated souls.

 

“Just another government issue.” Jiyong muttered aggravatedly. “Nothing that you should be concerned about.” There was a moment’s pause as Jiyong closed his eyes regretfully, lamenting his choice of words. “Taeyeon, I didn’t mean it that way--” There was a long awkward pause as the paint brush flicked lightly in Taeyeon’s hand.

 

“Sure.” She brushed his words off nonchalantly.

 

“Are you sure? You usually...act more aggressive when I rebutt you like that.” Jiyong exhaled nervously.

 

“I’m reasonable.” The clipped answer from her lips sent Jiyong cringing slightly, rising from his seat momentarily as he struggled internally of the choice between returning to his work or turning to appease his wife. He needn’t have bothered, for the door swung open with a load groan just as his mouth opened to speak, and the grim face of Jessica and her comrades stirring Taeyeon from her seat.

 

“Hayeon?”The subtle shake in Taeyeon’s voice brimmed fearfully, the tense features of her face only relaxing as the Draconian shook her head.

 

“I’ve been hearing rather disparaging rumours in the city and the surrounding areas of Silver Hollow about our human Queen. People seem to think that Taeyeon lacks sincerity by staying in the palace.” She spat on the ground spitefully. “The prejudice within our people run strong, but I’m highly inclined to believe that this is the work of the elders, who aren’t very happy with Jiyong’s decisions.”

 

“I’ll go talk to them.” The chair toppled over as Jiyong stood abruptly from his seat, anger lining his features as Yuri lashed out a hand to grab hold of his elbow.

 

“You know that’s not a good idea, Jiyong.” The Lycanthrope growled lowly. “They already see you as a threat. With your reign being new, and the overthrowing of JYP a shock, you know that the elders see you more as an obstacle to be removed. Who knows, there might be remanent survivors from the massacre we all participated in.” She gestured to all the girls around her, fidgeting lightly. “We committed mass murder and heresy that night when we picked up our weapons to overthrow the old king. They’re watching our every actions carefully. Taeyeon threw a loop in their plans and raised alarm bells

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter