Sixteen

JUST GO TO HER!

 

New year, new life. Not really, just new workload and more tight schedules. I did prepare myself for the arrival of Chaeyoung’s love, but I’m still a bit fearful about it. We worked out our problems since the breakup, but this is still a bit of a sensitive topic.

 

We are completely fine, I swear, but she still worries about making any moves. I have assured her, time and again, she should go for it before her chance passes by, but she still hesitates. I might befriend the girl myself it push comes to shove, but I don’t want to force anything.

 

Getting to class, I see a couple new faces. Some look like they shouldn’t be here, though, or shouldn’t be here again, I could say. Thanks to my short sight, I look for a place up front. There is only one next to a girl I’ve never seen before, but she doesn’t look like she is repeating, though. Could be a transferee, as I heard, there are a few of them.

 

“Good morning, I’m Jihyo.”

 

“Hello, I’m Elkie, just transferred.”

 

“Oh, you are not from here, are you? You have a bit of an accent.”

 

“Oh, I’m not. I’m chinese, transferred here with a good friend of mine.”

 

“It’s very nice to meet you.”

 

“You too. I was starting to get nervous here. I don’t really know anyone.”

 

“Well, then, here’s my number. Let’s get to be friends.”

 

“Are you sure about this? Giving me your number, I mean.”

 

“Very sure. You said it yourself, you don’t really know anyone here.”

 

“Fair enough.”

 

We chit chat until the teacher arrives. He gives us the class plans, hands out a few research references so we can get started, and dismisses us for the start-of-the-year speech that should begin in about an hour or so. I ask Elkie if she wants to go together, but she has to meet her friend, so we just bit our goodbyes and go our own way.

 

It doesn’t take long to find my troublesome kids once I get to the lecture hall. Mina spots me and starts waving with unnecessary big movements, she knows I hate it, and I just walk faster. After greeting everyone, I notice that Chaeyoung is very concentrated looking somewhere in front of us.

 

Following her gaze, I spot Elkie talking excitedly with another girl, I wonder if Chae’s dreamgirl is one of them. Maybe Elkie? Perhaps me befriending her before this otter here.

 

“Son Chaeyoung, are you even listening?” I ask, making it sound like I’ve been calling her for long.

 

“Oh, yeah, I mean, no. What were you saying?”

 

“Nothing yet, but you sure wasn’t paying attention, right?” I chuckle and she is a mix of embarrassed and a bit angry that I called her.

 

“Why are you so concentrated on looking at Elkie?”

 

“Who?”

 

“Chinese, light brown hair, a bit tanned girl right where you were looking?”

 

“You talking about the taller one or the shorter one?”

 

“Shorter one, why?”

 

She sighs and seems to relax a little.

 

“Jihyo, do you remember why we broke up?”

 

“Could I ever forget?”

 

“Well, seems like your friend Elkie is friends with her too.”

 

“Oh, so that’s the one. Must say, you have a good eye for them.”

 

“Yes I do. But this Elkie girl, who is she to you?”

 

I smile. “No need to get jealous, I just befriended her today during orientation. We shared a table and talked a little. But why am I telling you all this?”

 

“Don’t ask me. Have you missed talking to me that much?”

 

“Perhaps. But we talked three days ago. What are you even thinking?”

 

“Whatever you say, mama.”

 

She smirks at that, everyone seems to be out to piss me off today. I’ll just take note and return them the favor later. The headmaster is about to speak, so I can’t really do anything right now, anyways.

 

A few weeks go by, I get closer to Elkie, and get to meet her friend too, Tzuyu, a very quiet but very funny one. Chae has been bothering me to get them to hang out with us, but they have been hesitant so far. Today I got them to agree, under the promise I would hang out with them and their friends this weekend.

 

“Let’s?”

 

“What?” Elkie says.

 

“Lunch, El.”

 

“Oh, sure. We just have to pick Tzuyu up on the way.”

 

Everyone seems to be getting along with each other, Elkies friends decided to join us as well, and we ended up taking about two tables and some extra chairs, and they are so much fun to be with. But the noise has been taken to a whole new level, we were noisy as it was, and with these new girls, it’s something else.

 

My kids seem to be enjoying this little meetup, when my eyes land on Chae, though, I can’t help but get a little sting in my heart. Not that I’m jealous, I guess it’s just a bit sad to see her look at someone else the way she looks at me. But what is done, is done, no use lingering in the past and forget to go forward.

 

Tzuyu seems to be a very honest, sometimes too honest, girl, she looks really cute talking about things she likes, and I found out that dogs are the way to her heart. Once we were hanging out at the park, when a girl came by with three dogs, and she just dashed to them not even bothering with the girl holding the dogs.

 

How she did it, we’ll never know, but it took about five seconds for her to reach them, and she was sitting cross-legged with her backpack on her lap and no shoes on. When we noticed, she was already rolling around on the grass with two golden retrievers and a dalmatian. Elkie and I are still discussing how the human body is capable of moving that fast till this day.

 

* * *

 

Things go smoothly with school, work, friends, new friends and, now, applying for internship. I know Mina’s family is in the hospital business, but I want to get a good place to work on my own, not pride, but the knowledge that I got there because I worked hard, not because someone put me there.

 

Not being under anyone’s cape helps with the unavoidable rumors, and, at least, makes people focus more on me, rather than whoever did me any favors. My parents, my father to be more precise, believes one should stand on their own feet instead of hanging on to others, so they absolutely don’t interfere with anything. It was like that with my older sister as well, and its starting with my little sister too.

 

The kids are fine, Sana is already talking about marriage, Momo is looking for a place where she can bring Somi to. Mina and Nayeon got engaged around two month ago as well, they really didn’t want to, but Nayeon’s mother started pressuring and they caved in. Chaeyoung and Tzuyu started going out sometime this month, they are playing innocent, but we all already know. Jeongyeon won the pools this time, and it got me a bit frustrated, I needed some extra to afford moving, now I gotta explore Sana’s car over the weekend.

 

Honestly, none of us are having much of social lives lately. Jeongyeon, Nayeon and Momo graduated this year, so they are the new ones at their jobs and having a life is not really on the table. The rest of us, are on our last year of college, and busting our asses off doesn’t even begin to describe. Despite all, we manage to see each other as much as we can, even if it’s just to eat pizza and end up sleeping in the living room.

 

If I had to say anything, I would say I’m happy. Honestly, I’m happy that I can get to have such precious people around me, that I’m chasing my dream, even though it gets exhausting most of the time, that I’m doing good at what I do, I’m not living large, but I’m comfortable.

 

All is falling nicely into place, but there is something that’s been bothering me lately, and that would be my father. He has been calling a lot lately, and I mean A LOT, for whatever it is. Sometimes he says I should accompany him to some business dinner, sometimes he asks about my friends, other times he shows suspicious interest on my personal life…

 

I asked my sister about it, since she has already been through the ‘finish college and start a career’ phase, and she said he is probably testing the waters to see how he would connect me, if that makes any sense at all. Supposedly, Sana was the first choice for him, but that train has already left the station a long time ago, so now he seems to be looking for someone else on the business.

 

My older sister was engaged to Mina’s older brother, so, thankfully, THAT is not at all a possibility. Minnie is lovely, but no. Having her brother marrying my sister is already a headache for me, she is having the time of her life using that on her favor every single chance she gets.

 

Unfortunately, I know my father, and I am very certain he will not give up until he finds me someone. Speak of the devil.

 

“Hello, father. Is something wrong?”

 

“Why are all my kids so formal with me?”

 

“I wouldn’t be able to answer. But is there any problem, sir?”

 

“No problem, at least not for now. I called to see if you are free tonight.”

 

“I could manage. But may I ask what this is about?”

 

“Well, I have a dinner with Mr. Kim tonight, and I want you to go with me.”

 

“So, the Kims are the family my intended one comes from?”
 

“You know me well. But today will be just Mr. Kim and the two of us. I just want him to get to know you before I make the proposition.”

 

“No problem. Could you pick me up? I don’t have time to get home already.”

 

“Sure, I’ll come by at seven. No need to be too formal. This is just a dinner to introduce you two.”

 

“Yes, father. I’ll be ready and waiting. See you at seven.”

 

“Bye.”
 

He hangs up, and I start running around trying to get ready on time, it’s already past five. Good thing I sent all the dresses I have here to the cleaners last week. Now I have to find my shoes, which I don’t really use, so they are somewhere on my closet.

 

By the time I get everything I need and finish my shower, it’s already six thirty, I’m cutting it really close. A fast makeup and simple hairstyle will have to do. Seven, on the dot, just as I put my shoes on, my phone rings and dad tells me he arrived.

 

“Dad, It’s good to see you well.” I kiss his cheek.

 

“I told you to not dress up too much.” He chuckles, but looks satisfied. This was close.

 

Dinner goes by easily, Mr. Kim is as adorable as ever, and he is a really pleasant guy. They didn’t make me feel awkward at any point, and their business conversations were really easy to follow. All in all, it was a very nice dinner. On our way home, dad starts talking with a very serious face on.

 

“Jihyo, how do you feel about the Kims?”

 

“I don’t know. I never really had a chance to get to know them like this. All I remember from them is that they have always been really nice everytime we meet.”

 

Dad lets out a small laugh, that could be a sigh.

 

“Well, would you be alright if I started talking to Mr. Kim about joining our families?”

 

“Not at all. It’s not like I have anyone, after all.”

 

“Then talk to the Kims I will.” Dad smiles, with a hint of sadness on his lips. Could it be because I said I’m alone anyways?

 

“Just one thing, dad?”

 

“Anything.”

 

“Could you set any meetings for next year?”

 

“And why not right away? You are not changing you mind now, are you?”

 

“No, that is not it. This year I barely have enough time as it is, and I’m really trying to do as well as I can in college, so I won’t have as much time to court anyone.”

 

“Oh, if that is your reason, surely we can wait. It gives me and Mr. Kim to really talk things out as well.”

 

“Thanks, dad.” I smile and give him a goodbye kiss, before getting out of the car.