One

JUST GO TO HER!

I'm running late, this is not good. I was supposed to be there twenty minutes ago, but the surgery took longer than expected. Not my fault, though, but not an excuse either. Honestly, I would have preferred not going to this thing at all, but my parents insisted that it was needed. Quite frankly, I hate the fact that my wedded life was decided when I was twelve, and the other part had no choice on it either, although I don't see being married at all if it was up to me.

You see, my parents made this business decision to merge companies, and, as a weird tradition, which I don't understand whatsoever, me and the child of their partners (I would say saviors, since our company was not all that at the time) were to be wed once they were both of age. So, I guess I should, at least, talk it out with my fiancè and listen to their take on it.

All I know, is that she is a young college student, a 22 year old chemistry major, with a burning passion for research and somewhat a genius as well. Apparently, she is about to graduate, an early second graduation, at that. Seems like she is already a biologist, but found herself wanting another adventure on a different, but still similar, field. Besides that, it has never been my interest to dwell in this matter much, being a freshly out of residency anesthetist, what I want right now is to grow out of my valedictorian, perfect goody two-shoes shell and show that I am also a very much capable professional.

Anywho, let's not get held on these petty grudges of mine, I tend to overthink these things ever since my second week of residency, when one of the doctors was very clear on the fact that being smart and having good grades never meant being a capable worker. I must agree, honestly some of the smartest ones were the worst at what they did, but that fueled my competitive side and made me overwork myself to rub in everyone's faces that I was also an outstanding doer, not just a simple learner. Seemed to have worked out, but the thought never left me, and I kept being taxed as a simply great student.

Not to fret, though, 'haters will hate' as people say, nothing to be done about it. Let's just focus on the matter at hand. I should start calming down so I can be a better date tonight. No one likes going out with grumpy, very late, arranged fiancès... Okay, this is getting worse as I think about it. I just have to make sure to make it up to her throughout this dinner and, hopefully, she will be an understanding person.

Oh, good, I'm here. See what I'm talking about when I say I overthink everything? A forty-minute drive went by just like that, and prepared is something I absolutely am NOT. Can't chicken out now, can I?! Shoot, calm yourself down, woman! It's not like this will be your first time in a relationship. Damn, you are not the innocent freshman in love anymore. it up and get in there, you idiot. Just make sure you won't let history repeat itself and you will be splendid. Not like you really liked her in the first place, nor that your breakup was traumatic to anyone. You and Chaeyoung were never meant to be, when she asked to end the relationship you had already decided to walk away and was too afraid to take the first step, anyways.

Now get in there and meet your wife to be. No more excuses, no more running away, stop being indecisive. You already decided to lay the past to rest. Who knows, maybe she will be the love of your life and you are just here too afraid to open the door and find your true happiness.

Let's do this, take a deep breath and open the door. You can do this, it's time to get another chance at love, or the first chance, however you want to name it. Your hand is already on the doorknob, take the step, no one's gonna do it for you. And just like that, I enter the room to meet her.