Fear creates chaos. Love creates miracles. + Special Present: The Neo Devil

The Lee Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Dad?”

Taeyong snapped out of his thoughts as he looked towards his oldest son in the rear mirror.

He instantly knew that he had worried him, and Taeyong tried to salvage the situation by giving him his best smile, his frowning face gone as he replied sweetly: “What is it Love?”

Mark didn’t respond as he knew his Dad would only get more distressed if he insisted something was wrong, it was better to just back off.

Renjun and Jeno who had paused their game, continued on, knowing better than to insist or ask either.

Taeyong sighed inwardly; his sons were getting more and more sharper or he was getting worse at hiding his frustration and worries;

In fact, there was nothing wrong that should worry him; everything in his life was going great: Ten and Mark’s reconciliation had happened just yesterday, Chenle was slowly opening his heart more towards Winwin, he received the court’s official legal papers about Jisung’s custody this morning and the cherry on top was that work had ended so much earlier (thanks to the management decision for UNITED to only attend a couple of award shows instead of every invitation they received), allowing him thus to personally pick up all his children from school.

So why?

Why was he feeling very worried, tense and giddy?

Taeyong had made peace with his decision to face his children identity yesterday, and though his heart was lighter he also felt a bit nervous.

But the feeling that had accompanied since an hour ago had somehow nothing to do with his previous decision.

It was something else…

Like as if feeling something bad was about to happen…

Was it because Ten would take a flight back to Thailand this evening?

That couldn’t be it, he knew now thanks to everyone around him that his ex was more then capable enough to protect himself, and he would come back by the end of the week.

So, what was it?

Was it because he was still shaken from the events that happened to Mark two days ago?

No…It wasn’t that.

Taeyong’s fingers drummed nervously on the wheel, but he stopped abruptly as he reminded himself that he had Mark, Renjun and Jeno’s watchful eyes behind him.

It is already grave enough he was panicking for nothing, it would be sinful to worry his kids with him for nothing.

Taeyong made an effort to relax his tense body, and he reminded himself that he was about to see his little Lele and Sungie soon, which helped him to regain his regular demeanour.

He parked the car and unbuckled his belt; Renjun and Mark following him.

“Nono, you guard the car?” Taeyong smiled as he opened their door.

His eye smiling son nodded and Taeyong ruffled his hair before closing the car; Mark and Renjun followed him towards the day-care entrance, the two of them playfully swaying their intervened hands, and Taeyong’s worried eyes softened.

They arrived at Chenle’s and Jisung’s class and Taeyong greeted the teacher, and the surging feeling of anxiety came back again as he heard the question she asked with her surprised face:

“Taeyong-shi? Were you not sick?”

“Sick?”

“Ah” the teacher’s eyes suddenly trembled as she clumsily explained: “I mean y-your sister came to pick up Jisung and Chenle j-just five minutes ago…” As she saw Taeyong’s whitening face she hurriedly explain: “S-she showed m-me a family register and said Jisung was her true son and that she was your sister. She came to pick them up because you were gravely sick and she had even your signature o-on a paper. I-I have it here.”

Taeyong didn’t bother listening anymore as he took his slightly confused sons by the hands, rushing out of the day-care. He took his phone out, ready to call Winwin when he suddenly saw Jeno out of the car, hugging a crying Chenle.

“CHENLE!” he hurriedly went towards his son, hugging the little crying bub tightly, as he looked at Jeno with a “What happened?” look.

“Lele said there was a bad woman that tried to take them!” Jeno explained with a worried and panicking voice.

 “Lele, where is Jisung?” Taeyong couldn’t wait for Chenle to calm down so he hurriedly asked the most important question.

“Jisungie ran” Chenle hiccupped, “Scary women ran too.”

Taeyong didn’t understand what was going on. “Ran where?! Where did your little brother ran, Lele?”

Lele shook his head, crying harder as he too was scared.

“Sshhhh, Lele, Dad is here. Dad will find Jisung. But Lele has to tell us what happened.” Taeyong hushed the kid, whipping away his tears as he tried to remain calm, suppressing to rise his voice any further.

“Scary auntie, told lies to Lele and Jisung. Daddy wasn’t here. Jisung and Lele didn’t want to go to the car. So Lele bit scary Aunties hand. Auntie let go of us.”

“You bit her hand?” Taeyong silently applauded for Chenle’s wittiness.

Chenle nodded, half scared he would be reprimanded but he didn’t as his Renjun ge only panickly said: “Good boy. Lele should never go with a stranger.”

“And then?” Taeyong quickly interrupted.

“Lele ran. Jisung ran. Lele hiding.” Chenle showed the flower bank at the end of the street.

“Jisung didn’t come. Lele scared. Lele saw Daddy’s car and came back.”

Taeyong nodded, hugging his son tightly: “Good job, Lele. Daddy is now here.”

“Jisung would have ran to the other side then?” Renjun looked down the opposite street of where Lele had ran.

“Let’s run, they can’t be that far. If she came with the car she would come back here anyways.” Mark suggested hurriedly as he too felt very scared at the thought of Jisung running away from that bad women.

“Renjun; you and Lele stay in the car.” Taeyong instructed, taking out his phone, “Call your dad, explain the situation and take care of Chenle.”

Renjun nodded.

“If he and the women comes back, call on Mark’s phone.”

Renjun sternly nodded, and Tayeong began to run, down the street, with on his heels Mark and Jeno.

His heart and mind where in a mess: completely terrified and frightened while adrenaline pushed his body to go faster.

They came towards the end of the avenue: there where two possible ways to go.

“I will go right.” Mark said, giving his phone to his dad.

Taeyong nodded and took Jeno with him to the left.

He only hoped they would be lucky to find them soon.

 

 

Jisung ran.

He knew he shouldn’t run like this, each step taking him away further and further, the way getting unfamiliar and confusing: He should turn back and go to the daycare.

He should go back to his teacher and wait for his dad’s or hyung’s protecting arms to come back, but he couldn’t.

He just knew that the moment he would turn around that scary women could catch him.

And is she caught him he would go back, he wouldn’t escape the car again as there would be no Chenle to bite her hand again, and he wouldn’t see his dad or hyung’s face anymore.

He should never go with strangers, and Jisung recognised the women now but getting with her would be worse then going with a stranger.

She was a bad person; she had screamed at his dad, had tried to take him away from his hyung arms and now had even tried to force Lele and him into a strange car by lying to his teacher.

Bad person.

Very bad scary person.

Jisung was scared to turn around.

So, he continued to run, further and further away, not looking up or calling for help to any of the people that were looking at him worriedly down the street.

Jisung never cried.

But wet tears were painting his cheeks because he wasn’t only scared for him….

What about Lele?

Where was Lele?

Jisung couldn’t think about it anymore as he heard the scary sounds of heels approaching closer and closer.

That woman was just so scary: Jisung would have been caught if for one he wasn’t a very fast runner (he would have to thank Donghyuck for this) and two because that women was very slow (because of her scary tik-tak-sound-making-shoes).

Jisung eye’s saw a supermarket and he didn’t know why but he entered it; he zigzagged between the shelves that were now hiding him and when he heard the scary sound of click clack entering the supermarket, he made a beeline for the entrance.

Good she was in and he was out.

He could turn back now.

Jisung’s body had always been frail.

His feet gave out, and his knees scrapped on the hard ground.

Jisung didn’t cry, he couldn’t anymore and he just stood up, taking the time to breath a little as he was lacking air, his throat burning making the air he breathed out a rasping sound.

He had never run so much in his life.

He never had too; his dad’s protective and strong arms always near him, all of his hyungs warm love always protecting and spoiling him and his body way too frail to allow him to do more then escaping Donghyuck’s mischievousness.

Yet he forced himself to continue, even though he had no idea if he was back in the right direction, he continued to run.

His heart was feeling the bitter flavour of despair, and time tickled slowly as every second was a tormenting hour in the young kid’s mind.

Just as he was about to give up, not caring anymore about that scary women, his eyes caught a glimpse of a familiar face.

That familiar face saw him too as he yelled: “JISUNG!”

Jisung eyes were crying again, and his surroundings became blurry, as he feet ran into the direction of his saver:

Mark hyung.

Jisung’s despair left like snow before the strong noon sun, and his lungs and feet didn’t hurt at all in that moment of pure relief.

His Mark’s hyung face showed relief before it suddenly turned to fear; was that women behind him?

Jisung’s heart beat ran faster, and his panick made him ran even faster than before, ignoring the panicking shout: “LOOK OUT!”

His eyes being blured by tears, he didn’t really see it coming; He only heard the loud and abrupt sound of a car’s claxon; the sound was so close.

Too close.

His eyes looked towards the direction of the sound; his body froze.

Time went so slow again: as the blurry silhouette of a Jeep came so fast, yet so slow.

Jisung’s body froze, heart gripped in a paralysing fear; all he could do was close his eyes.

Mark hyung.

A sudden weight crashed on him: his body was shaken by the impact, yet it wasn’t painful.

Jisung frowned, confusion and fear shaking his heart which he could hear so clearly.
There was no pain.

His heart-rate increased yet again, waiting for the pain.

And then he heard it: “MARK!!!”

This familiar voice…

That was his Dad’s voice, yet Jisung couldn’t feel relief as his Dad’s voice sounded so distressed.

Why?

Jisung tried to open his eyes, yet the darkness remained.

His body felt like puled by something, he couldn’t move.

“MARK! JISUNG!” this time his dad’s voice was closer.

Jisung realised something; it wasn’t dark.

His body wasn’t laid on the ground, instead it was laid on something just as firm, yet it was soft.

A T-shirt.

Warmth.

A familiar warmth.

He was in Mark hyung’s embrace.

 

Jisung’s increasing heartbeat dropped, a sense of security overwhelming him. The feeling didn’t last long as he hear his dad’s voice just above him: “God, God, God, NO! Someone call an ambulance!”

His dad’s trembling hands touched his back and he was softly removed from the darkness.

No; it hadn’t been darkness; he realised with a lot of effort as he was able to see his Dad’s panicking face;

He had been pressed into his Mark’s hyung embrace; his arms were so strongly gripped around him that he had not been able to move away from it.

Taeyong couldn’t remove his younger’s son’s body away from his injured hyung; Mark’s arm unconsciously had a death grip on him, as if he refused to let go no matter what would happen.

Taeyong bit his lip, refusing to cry in front of his young son, he refused to cry while Mark was still unconscious and not safe.

He heard a young woman call the ambulance, and as she explained the situation and their location, Taeyong tried to take of Mark’s fingers one by one softly away from Jisung’s body.

After some struggle, he was able to remove Jisung gently from his son’s grip, and yet before he could sigh in relief, he saw his youngest son eyes finding his hyung’s face: Jisung screamed.

Taeyong hurriedly buried his son in his embrace, hushing him, reassuring him it was nothing.

If he was reassuring Jisung or himself he didn’t know.

His maknae kept screaming, utterly horrified by the sight he had seen.

Taeyong’s heart broke further, at the sound of those screams.

He had been too late.

Taeyong had been too late; only catching a glimpse as he saw his eldest son silhouette cover his maknae, turning around as he gave his side towards the colliding vehicle; Jisung safely shielded away from it.

When the impact came, Mark had somehow managed to turn and land on his back, his head slamming on the hard ground.

Taeyong could’nt believe it; it couldn’t be real.

This was such a bad dream, a nightmare, worse then the one he had dreamt of just a few days ago; this was just an annoying frightening nightmare.

A out of breath Jeno arrived, and this time Taeyong made sure to hinder the view from his son towards Jeno. Jeno eye’s were panicking yet Taeyong managed to take him away, not allowing him to witness what was still causing Jisung’s screams.

As the ambulance arrived a couple of minutes later (which happened to be hours and hours in Taeyong’s mind), he allowed himself to give Jeno and Jisung towards the care of the young women that had called the ambulance, sprinting back to Mark’s side.

Taeyong’s eyes laid on his son sorry figure; blood flowing from his head, his right arm looking in a wrong angle, his so beautiful face which Taeyong adored so deadly white yet scrapped and tainted with blood.

Blood.

There was just so much blood.

Everywhere.

Mark.

 

 

“Where is he!? How is he doing?!” an out of breath Jaehyun asked the question, while Kun who followed close behind him went towards the nurse, asking for permission to be in the operating room.

Taeyong’s red eyes greeted NCT CEO, and though Jaehyun wanted to ask if he was okay ( there was so much blood on his clothes, were was he wounded? Did he got treated?), he knew by the way Taeyong was gripping a still sobbing Jisung towards his chest, that his ex was in no way able to answer his questions.

It was the much more composed Johnny who responded him grimly: “He lost a lot of blood, a slightly broken arm, a head wound and is in critical state.”

Jaehyun wanted to ask more, he hadn’t been briefed correctly at all by his Doyoung hyung,

who had admittedly been to busy to take care of a hysterical Yuta next to his side so he couldn’t really blame him. If not because of the kids who were in the care of Winwin, Doyoung would have probably have panicked more as he and his fiancée were actually shooting a variety show at the other side of Seoul.

Jaehyun couldn’t even remember how he had made his way here.

He had been in the middle of meeting, hadn’t he?

He couldn’t remember if he had called it off or if he had just walked away from it, had he drive here or taken a taxi as he couldn’t even remember the way, couldn’t even remember how Kun had appeared next to his side.

Things happened to fast yet too slow, and he wanted a proper explanation now that his head was slowly regaining his normal way of thought.

It was crazy how much fear could paralyse you, and though Jaehyun’s heartbeat was still nowhere near normal, he had been able to regain a bit of his composer now that he had arrived next to Mark’s side, even though a big operation room’s door separated both of them.

“You” Jaehyun directed his sudden urge of anger and fear towards the silent coldly looking man that stood next to Johnny: “I thought you had dealt with those people, you useless excuse of a father!”

Ten didn’t even bother to reply, his eyes fixed on the operation door, which angered Jaehyun even more.

“YA!” he went forward to grip Ten by his collar, yet a sudden arm stopped from going further.

“It wasn’t any of our enemies. It was Nancy. She kidnapped the kids and they escaped. While escaping an accident occurred.” Johnny glanced at the still sobbing Jisung.

He didn’t really want to say in the presence of the concerned kid himself but seeing the fury in Jaehyun’s eyes he knew he had to explain properly so he continued: “Mark was just in time to protect Jisung. If he hadn’t intervened, then we wouldn’t be waiting in front of an operating room, but we would be waiting in front of the morgue.”

Johnny’s eyes continued his explicit message: Would you have preferred that?

Johnny had seen the street security video images he had received through Wendy’s quick research work.

There was no way Jisung’s frail body would have survived that.

Mark’s sturdy teenager body was in critical state because of such a hit, how would Jisung’s frail toddler’s body compare?

Johnny wondered if Mark had known it, as his stepson had completely covered Jisung’s tiny frame in his, not letting go of it till Taeyong had separated them.

Johnny once again felt that his stepson was a fearless and precious person, worth to be Johnny’s own blood and flesh; that day too he had first thought of Ten, not caring about his own safety and now here he was again, thinking about his dongsaeng’s life, not caring about his own again.

“I am going in. I will come back, and with good news as I am sure the Heavens will look kindly upon him. So don’t you worry and make a ruckus; everything is going to be fine.” Kun approached the now silent yet still angry looking Jaehyun, giving him a peck on the cheeks which seemed to relax the man as he looked gratefully towards his husband dashing figure entering the operating block.

Johnny sighed. He prayed to the Heavens to give justice back to this innocent and brave child, prayed that he wouldn’t lose a son.

 

 

 

Darkness.

Complete darkness.

 

A minute, an hour, a second.

He didn’t know.

It was quite comfortable.

 

And suddenly he felt pain.

Pain.

Lots of pain.


A minute, an hour, a second.

He didn’t know.

It was just uncomfortable.

 

Darkness.

Again.

He didn’t feel the pain anymore.

Instead the darkness was interrupted by a voice:

 

“Mark, oh my baby. What am I going to do? Please Mark. I can’t, Dad can’t stay strong if you leave me.”

Why would I leave you? Mark’s mind thought tiredly towards the voice.

“Please. I am begging you Mark. Wake up. Dad won’t nag you ever again if you don’t want to hug or kiss.”

I don’t want that.

Mark wondered what kind of promise that was, he did love his dad’s hugs and kisses…it’s just only that his dad was too clingy sometimes. Especially in public places, that’s so embarrassing even if he liked his Dad so much.

 

“You brat… Making me cry like this… You didn’t even wear my clothes properly, how can you leave us like that?”

Uncle Yu. Mark wondered what his dad and uncle Yu were talking about. He wasn’t leaving anywhere.

“You can’t do that, take your responsibility as Cherry N model more seriously!”

Just as Mark wanted to reply that he already did it, he heard a sob followed by “Just come back to us, my beloved Muse.”

Come back from where?

 

“Mark.”

Appa. Mark had never heard his Appa’s voice this weak, the only exception when they had reconciled with a hug in their old home’s bathroom, hugging each other to tears.

“I have yet to play Yira Huma’s “Dream” with you. Don’t you remember why I learned you that piece in the first place?”

I do. It’s because Appa had a Dream he wanted to protect.

Appa’s dream was us: Me, Dad and Jeno.

To be happy and safe forever. It’s a promise.

“Don’t take away my dream Mark.”

Why would I? Mark was getting frustrated at his incomprehension of the situation.

 

“Minnie.”

Uncle Winwin.

“Minnie…Uncle Winwin has yet to thank you for what you did all those years for Renjun and Chenle. I have yet to pay you back all those years I couldn’t be by your side as your God Father. Injunie and Lele…Those two, they already lost their mother, do you want to give them more grieve?”

Why would I? Mark thought it was the most absurd question he had heard so far, and he was getting scared at the thought that he was giving his beloved dongsaengs any kind of grieve.

“Don’t make them … Don’t make ME aggrieved Minnie. I don’t think I can accept my precious God Son’s departure just like that.”

But I am not going anywhere? Mark grievingly sulked.

 

“Mark-ya.”

Uncle Doyoung.

“You….are the only piece I have left from her. I always see her in your smile… I can’t lose you, there are so many great memories to make…I can’t bear to lose anyone so precious to me again…You can’t leave us. I really can’t bear it. You have to come back, alright? Nana and Hyuckie won’t forgive you if you don’t. Especially Hyuckie, you know how long he holds grudges don’t you?”

At this point Mark didn’t even bother to tell he wasn’t going anywhere.

 

“Mark.”

Kun Appa.

“We haven’t yet properly bonded, but you are as much as son to me as Jeno and Jungwoo are.

I never told you that, did I?”

Mark felt touched. Yet his heart had already knew those unspoken words. He too had yet to say his feelings to Kun Appa.

“So before I tell you this… properly face to face, could you please hold on a little longer? For me…For Jungwoo and Jeno…For your Jaehyun Appa….For everyone?”

Hold on to what? Mark’s confusion was yet getting bigger and bigger.

 

“Mark.”

Johnny... Johnny Appa.

“I don’t think you are the type to leave things half finished, are you?”

No, he wasn’t.

“So, until you, Lucas, your father and I become a proper family…will you not leave? I…already consider you like my son, but I have yet proven it to you… You can’t be this petty that you won’t give me chance won’t you?”

He had already long forgiven those white lies the man had said on their first meeting, he wasn’t that petty.

“I was prepared to lose Lucas…But I was never prepared to…I just cant, I wont forgive myself if you leave us like that without me getting you to acknowledge us as a family.”

I already acknowledge us as a family.

 

“Mark Ge”

Lucas?

“Mark Ge, this isn’t fair.”

What wasn’t fair?

“Lucas cant do anything, like Ge did for me.”

What are you talking about?

“So, Lucas can only remind Ge: You have to keep your promise and dance in front of me!”

I will, I didn’t forget about it.

“Will you come back? Lucas…Lucas only has one Da Ge.”

You too? Where do you all think I am going?

 

“Mark Hyung”

Renjunie.

“Mark hyung….I- I am scared, Mark Hyung”

Why? Don’t be.

“Mark hyung, I asked my Muxin that if she sees you, she has to send you back. Because I will be too scared if you wont.”

Send back were?

“I am scared. Please don’t leave Renjunie alone. Lele is crying so much…and Jisung… Jisungie is…”

Why would you be alone? I am not leaving? Why is Lele crying? What about Jisung?

Mark’s frustration was now accompanied with great worry.

 

“Mark hyung.”

Jeno.

“…Its not true. Hyungie is strong. Hyungie won’t leave us. Hyung…won’t leave Jeno.”

Of course, I won’t; Mark thought gratefully Jeno was the only one getting this right.

“If…if Hyungie is in pain, then give it to Jeno….Just don’t leave us, alright?”

Well he had spoken to fast, but why would he be in pain?

O. Pain.

Yeah he had felt that.

He was alright now.

 

“Minhyung.”

Father.

“My precious son…Are the Heavens punishing me for my sins? Was I too conceited into believing I could keep my promise towards you…Just now…just now that I regained your smile back…I have to let it go? I don’t think I can do that…I wont be able to do that…”

Why is everyone talking like I am going somewhere forever?

“I love you to much yet I couldn’t even tell you and hear it from you back just like back then…If that’s the case, I don’t think I can forgive myself…

Please. Come back to us. I have yet to tell you…yet to show you…just how much I love you…my son.”

Mark felt touched again, but he really didn’t know how to respond to his father’s plea. I am still here.

I…I love you too. I will come and tell you, where would I go?

 

 

“Mark”

It was his Dad again.

“My beloved Minhyung.”

Mark could tell by his Dad’s voice, that he wasn’t fine.

“Please. Wake up.”

Mark eyes’ saw a white light. Maybe he should follow it.

The darkness was getting overwhelming and he wanted to end it already.

“I love you.”

 

Taeyong gripped Mark’s hand, crying as Kun and two nurses where running around his monitor and body, ready to wake up Mark’s failing’s heart by CPR.

Taeyong refused to let go.

The nurse scolded him for getting in the way, but a stern voiced Kun called her to focus on her task.

Taeyong’s heart was broken.

Yet he refused to let go, refused to not hope.

Mark’s body shook with the first shock.

“Mark…. I love you.”

 

Mark’s mind halted.

“Please, Wake up. Don’t leave Dad’s heartbroken. Dad wont forgive himself if you leave like this.”

The light was glowing stronger.

But. It didn’t feel as pleasing anymore.

It felt wrong.

But it was tiring to stay in the darkeness.

Minnie… Go back to them.

That voice…who? It felt familiar…

His mind was too tired to think…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter