Change; for you a step, for me the world.

The Lee Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyong did not know what to think of the situation.

He had known that Ten had wanted to surprise Mark, by coming at their usual weekly dance lessons at the orpohnage. Yet when the lesson had started, there had been no sign of him.

Taeyong could not help but be disappointed, as he really felt hurt for their eldest son.

That’s not right. Ten treasures Mark, and he was even having trouble with his deputies and ministers because of the long stay he planned in Korea; …and he is a man of his words. So, what did go wrong?

Taeyong felt it.

It was around their 10-minute break he holds at eleven o’clock. He felt his chest painful, and somehow a bad premonition.

He tried to call him.

The phone was shut down.

Not even a voice-mail, or a missed call; simply shut down.

Taeyong stared at another number he had gotten several days ago: Johnny Seo

Should I? Taeyong was really tempted, yet it did not feel right to call such a busy man to ask where his lover was instead of having time with his ex-lover and child. And that at their first meeting.

Taeyong had received the number as Ten had told him to call Johnny whenever an emergency came or if he simply wanted to get to know his lover; which was a request Taeyong had accepted as he really wanted Mark to have a good bond with his father’s family.

Making such a call didn’t see like a good idea to leave a good impression so Taeyong gave up.

Maybe I will have more luck at the end of the class…maybe he simply had a last minute thing he could not shake off…after all he is not a normal person, but a king of a country.

Taeyong surpressed his inner turmoil as he continued to gave class, and he ended even up relaxing slowly thanks to Donghyuck who was like a mini sun, bringing laughter and sass, as they danced to a Pristin song. He was glad he had picked a girl dance group song for today’s class.

 

As class ended, Jonghyun and Mark entered the practice room, while the other children slowly began to leave towards the locker-room.

“How was it?” Taeyong asked softly, when he saw Mark going towards his brothers who hadn’t left yet.

“We are on track, he has no problem with the choreo and the rhythm.” Jonghyun replied softly. He hesitated slightly before carefully saying: “Today I felt he was rather…not highly spirted. Since the competition is next week, I hope he recovers his spirit quickly.”

Taeyong nodded, looking gratefully at his student, one of the best one he had. Often the very gentle leader of UNITED was a perfect confidant for Taeyong. Rather than being judgemental, he would often listen and guide softly, just like now: he did not meddle in Mark’s business, nor did he tell Taeyong the details. He simply advised him and would stay by watching, only to interfere if truly needed.

“I know, don’t worry. He will be fine by next week, I will make sure of it.”

Jonghyun smiled softly: “You are a great dad, but don’t push yourself so much Hyung.”

Taeyong smiled and nodded at the implicit message: you can always rely on us, so just ask.

Just as he wanted to thank him, the sound of the door being slammed attracted everyone’s attention: Ten, out of breath appeared in the dance room.

Whatever Taeyong wanted to say, stuck into his throat as his eyes widened in horror at the sight of blood.

 

 

Ten cursed inwardly. Wait until he came back, he would personally interrogate that despicable man himself! If that man would not somehow die by cheer luck before he came back, then he would assure he would very be so sorry for it!

He rushed towards the orphanage door, not caring about the pleas of his entourage and bodyguards, that resounded in his Bluetooth earplug, trying to find his way in the small establishment. He then opened the door loudly, as he had long lost control of his body due to the terror he felt inside his heart.

His eyes directly landed on his beautiful ex, who was talking to another person he recognised vaguely (his brain then helpfully supplied he had seen that man in the documents that Johnny had send; Kim Jonghyun. 24 years old. One of the idols Taeyong choreographed for since a good 6 years and a half. No big background but he had a lot of solid connections in the entertainment world. Hot idol. Leader of UNITED. And a pretty close relationship to Taeyong.)

Taeyong eyes went wide when he saw the blood on Ten’s pale face, as well as his disshelved state.

“Ten what in the world!” his ex-lover blurted out in panick, rushing towards him.

Seeing his concerned expression, Ten could not help but feel warm. His sharp eyes, softened as he forced himself to smile despite the vague pain he felt all over his body.

“Ah, I know I am late. Are you angry?” Ten tried to speak lightly, but Taeyong wasn’t buying it.

“What…That’s not the point right now, you are bleeding for Heaven’s sake!” Taeyong tried to reach the wound, probably because he wanted to see it more closely but Ten took a step back as he smiled: “Ah yes. Don’t worry. That’s not mine.”

Well. Half of it at least was not his. So it was not a lie, technically.

“Not yours?” Taeyong’s expression became as pale as Ten: “What happened? Are you sure you are okay? Why are you not at the hospital? Wait, let’s go right now, come I will bring you.” Taeyong had a tendency to rant a lot when he was in panick. Ten knew it, and he secretly had to smile that it did not change. He firmly cupped Taeyong’s cheek as he assuredly spoke:

“I am fine, and trust me I would already be there if my entourage had thought I wasn’t.”

“…”

Jonghyun blinked his eyes before hesitatingly saying: “There is a medical box in the director’s office, would you like to bandage your wounds?”

Ten looked surprised at the stranger and his unexpected help, before slowly shooking his head: “No need, I am not wounded seriously. Once I go home, my people will take care of it. But thank you.”

Taeyong broke out of his hands before saying; “What do you mean not wounded seriously? You have blood all over you, you will scare everyone, including the kids. Go and clean yourself up!”

Ten winced, but his bad mood was completely gone at the sight of overprotective Taeyong.

“Alright Alright but…” his eyes left his ex-love to glance around the room, where he easily spotted the person he had rushed for; Mark.

He had Chenle in his arms, his eyebrows knitted as he looked back at Ten.

“Don’t worry about him. I will take him towards you, but you will have to tell us both what happened. And no lies allowed!” Taeyong easily read Ten’s mind as he pushed his ex towards the director’s office.

Ten sighed. That man really should pray he would die before he came back…

 

Taeyong lightly grimaced as he came back from the lockersroom: he had sended his other children away with much difficulty. Doyoung shook his head as he picked up a complaining Donghyuck and a pouty sleepy Jisung. Even his promise to go eat sushi did not completely ease them up, but Taeyong promised they wouldn’t take long before joining them and so they had obediently left.

Taeyong lightly shuffled Mark’s hair, the teenager waiting silently in the practice room, clothes already long changed. “Lets go meet your father, he has some explanation to do.”

Mark’s expression was cold as usual but it didn’t escape Taeyong that Mark’s mood was slightly beter then when he was practicing with Jonghyun.

“Did you know he was supposed to come?” Mark suddenly asked.

“Eh?” Taeyong blinked at the sudden question before nodding: “He asked me days ago, if he could attend the class to spend some time with you. And since you had a competition going on, I thought it wouldn’t be so bad to learn some tricks.”

Mark looked back confused at his explanation: “Some tricks? What tricks.”

It was now Taeyong’s turn to be confused before realisation hit him: “Oh God, that’s true, you probably won’t remember that…But wait, your father did not tell you?”

“Tell me what?” Mark asked with a slightly annoyed expression. Another secret again?

“Ah…I guess not. Love do you remember what I told you about meeting your father?”

Mark slowly nodded, not getting the point.

“We met at high school. Then again we became closer at my dance workshop. Before we divorced, your father made a living as a professional dancer: be it solo or as for backup for very famous stars all around the world. He is one of the best dancer I know.”

Mark had an incredulous expression on his face, as he suddenly went pale remembering their conversation of last night. Hadn’t he said that his dad had no time for a beginner?

A beginner.

He had took a dancer, that could dance as a backup for stars, as a beginner.

God.

Mark suddenly felt the urge, for the first time in his life, to hit a wall.

“Who says I want to learn some tricks from him?” Mark huffed very annoyed at the situation. Taeyong looked at his son, who was suddenly sulking, with a very amused expression.

“You sure you don’t? Your father had a lot of fame in the underground dancing world. He used to win every undergroun dance competition he participated in, which earned him his nickname.”

“What nickname?” Mark could not help but ask, as underground dance competitions were on whole other level then the official ones; only true dance master could attend them. His dad had bought him once, and since then he had always had it as a goal to attend it as a participant.

Taeyong chuckled at Mark’s eyes that contained traces of amazement: “They called him the Dance Devil. Your father was pretty amazing.”

Mark was secretly amazed but remembering that it had always be Taeyong who had trained him instead of his amazing dance father he could not help but say: “I don’t think he can’t be more amazing then you, so I am fine.”

Taeyong shook his head yet his heart felt warm as how could he not read his son’ s mind?

“Believe me son, I am sure that if your father could have, he would have loved to do what I did with you. That’s why he is here now, now that he can be here. Don’t tell me you won’t even give him a chance?”

Taeyong softly caressed his son cheeks as he smiled: “Besides, I would love to see your father dance, and even better would be seeing both of you dance together! What do you think?”

Mark bit his lips as he slowly nodded, Taeyong’s smile widened at the sight of it.

“That’s my son. Believe me, your father loves you a lot. Else why would he rush at your appointment in that state?”

Mark had not wanted to be, but he had been very disappointed.

Yet, as soon as his father had appeared, he could not help but feel the bitter feeling slowly disappear down his throat. Even his heart had felt lighter, he felt that the dull pain had disappeared and even though he cursed himself for it, he could not help but hope that what his dad was saying was true.

So, he nodded, following his dad into the director’s room.

 

Ten’s heart finally went at ease, as he spotted his ex-husband and son entering the small, but very neat room that served as this orphanage director’s room.

Jonghyun had helped him bandaging his wounds, and as some drops of blood had stained his clothes, the idol had given him some of his reserve clothes to wear.

It surprised Ten: Jonghyun hadn’t asked a signle question; not why he had so much blood on him, nor who he actually was. The idol only carefully (and skilfully) took care of his wounds and friendly asked him to change his clothes. He then left silently, telling him he would warn Taeyong he was done.

Taeyong gently pushed Mark to sit in front of Ten, who stood at the director’s desk, carefully sizing his ex up, before asking with mild concern: “How do you feel?”

Ten smiled: “You are such a worrywart, do you know that?”

Taeyong snorted: “Yes, our son likes to remind me of that, but you are not the one that can really lecture me on that, are you?”

Ten only smiled in reply, before turning towards his son: “I am so sorry Mark, I..I promise it will not happen again. If you want we can practice now? Or are you busy? Tired? We can do anything, anytime you want.”

Mark looked at the pleading eyes of his father before he asked: “What happened?”

Ten’s face froze as he glanced at Taeyong.

Taeyong could clearly read Ten’s message as an open book, but he shook his head. “If you wanna have a shot with us, you can not continue hiding secrets from us.”

Ten looked back with a disbelieved expression.

Taeyong sighed; “Ten, Mark is not that little baby you left…He has grown up and if you don’t explain things properly I am afraid that…I mean, don’t let things get misunderstood while your son wants to face you properly.”

Ten sighed. He understood, yet his heart was unwilling to see Mark as someone who he was not supposed to protect and shield; He was even afraid that the darkness he lived in, would scare him off, losing all his chances to properly have his son back.

Taeyong sat down next to Mark: “Come on, I trust you. Whatever it is, you have it under control now…right?”

Ten sighed again: “Why wont you let me do, the only thing that I did properly all these years?”

Taeyong’s eyes softened as he whispered: “Were we more happy? Were you more happy? I am gratefull Ten, I really am…more then I can say, which is why I am asking you to stop this.”

Ten glanced at Mark, his expression conflicted.

“Ten…During all those years it was our son that I leaned on. I…already made him into an adult and I can’t undo that. I know how much you love him, but I tell you: he is not that baby you entrusted me with.”

“Are the both of you going to keep talking as if I was not here?” Mark snapped at the two adults.

Taeyong and Ten glanced at each other, Ten slowly smiled as he shook his head, while Taeyong ruffled Mark’s hair: “Sorry Love, we didn’t mean it like that.”

Mark looked back at his father; “So are you going to tell us or not?”

Ten sighed before a determined expression could be seen on his face: “Today was supposed to be Lucas operation…But the hospital received a sudden notice at the last minute. The donor had retired himself. Hence the operation was cancelled.” Ten gripped the edge of the desk, “That operation…After all the trial and patience for finding the right donor...was gone. It was supposed to heal Lucas for good; hence me and Johnny made sure everything would go smooth. So when we received the notice…I investigated and I soon heard that the donor had left the country. It was fishy of course, and after more digging I discovered it had been done by…an enemy of mine.”

“What do you mean with an enemy?” Taeyong interrupted.

Ten sighed, his eyes pleading for some mercy but nor Taeyong, nor Mark had any attention to do so. He had no choice but to give in: “A political enemy of mine. A supporter of my cousin. Anyway I was angry. So I went to pay his family a visit.”

“You went back to Thailand?” Taeyong incredibly asked.

Ten shook his head. “If he had been in Thailand, he would have faced my wrath. His family and himself were on vacation in Japan. I went there, but the man itself was not to be seen.” He did not mention what he took those family members away, putting them under surveillance.

“So we could only come back, when suddenly one of my men received information about the donor, staying in Seoul.”

“I thought you said he had left the country? Did he came back?” Taeyong asked confused.

Ten shook his head. “No, he did not. It was fake information and we knew it. So we went there…”

“Why would you go if it is a fake information?” Mark soft voice asked, startling both adults.

“Ah…” Ten scratched his head awkwardly. “Because it means that it was a trap…And you don’t see fire without smoke. So…”

“Wait wait wait,” Taeyong looked eyes went wide, with a sudden comprehension: “Why would you go deliver yourself into a trap? Are you insane? Just to catch that man? Ten what would have happened if you…”

“That wont happen.” Ten interrupted his thoughts. “I know what I am doing Tae. I have my own people risking their lives every day, protecting me and our family. But if I don’t act, always hiding behind them, it would be the same as to block fire with wood: you will feed the fire, making it bigger, until it burns everything.”

Taeyong could only shake his head as he sighed in defeat. They always had been two different worlds, yet the current world Ten lived seemed even further than before.

“So you went there.”

Ten nodded. “I went there. Got some bruises, but I found something worth the trouble; the man itself.”

“So your donor?” Taeyong asked hopefully yet he was met with the sad gaze of Ten.

“A lost cause. Johnny is devasted, but we will keep looking for a new one…Anyway things got a bit…fired up, hence I did not notice the time.” Ten looked with very apologetical eyes towards Mark. “I am very sorry son, I promise it wont happen again.”

Just as Mark wanted to say something, a vibrating sound could be heard. Ten frowned as he picked up his phone, quickly responding when he saw the caller.

“Hello?”

“JESUS CHRIST TEN! WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU!”

“Ah..A I forgot the name.” Ten looked at Taeyong whispering: “What’s the name of the orpohnage again?”

Taeyong looked back with an amused look as he responded: “Dreamies Orphanage.”

However, Ten couldn’t even relay that answer as the other voice on the line shouted:

“TEN DO YOU WANT ME TO DIE? WENDY TOLD ME YOU ARE WOUNDED! GET YOUR *SS HERE , RIGHT NOW, AT THE HOSPITAL! YOU HEAR ME?”

“I am fine, John. Wendy likes to make small things big. I already have bandaged my wounds. I will come quickly. Any news about a potential donor?”

 “YOU COME BACK NOW!”

Ten sighed: “John, please I can’t right now. I need t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter