With the Devil at the table...

The Lee Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“But maybe you would know me better as Taeyong’s ex, Mark’s father.”

 

Marks father…

A non-existent bomb exploded in an instant at the trigger of those words.

Donghyuck, Jaemin and Jeno stared at Ten, as if he had told them them that the sun was blue, while Renjun’s wide eyes had a glimmer of recognition as a long lost memory came blurred into his mind. Chenle looked confused in Taeyong’s arms, but he was too feverish too care, while a confused Kun looked at Jaehyun for some kind of explanation.

Which Jaehyun would have given, if he was not busy starring at Ten. He had always wondered how his rival would have looked like, wondering what kind of men Taeyong had loved so dearly once, impacting his life to such an extent. The existence of Ten had always been present in his life, without knowing or seeing the guy even once.

So bold. Jaehyun tought, as he slowly discovered Mark’s traits in Ten’s face. The blond hair, high cheekbones, honeybrown doe-eyes,… Handsome too, although a bit short.

But you didn’t really see that shortcoming as Ten’s presence was very alluring and nobble making him seem the only glowing person in this room, which reminded Jaehyun the identity of the man, as Ten was after Mark’s father, also the King of Thailand.

A position who is not easy to obtain or maintain. Jaehyun eyes narrowed, as he realised the man gave a way too soft innocent impression for someone who shouldn’t, making him feel a sense of danger.

Ten felt his gaze and smiled; “Ah this should be Jaehyun? I am pleased to finally meet you. You can call me hyung, since I have seniority in divorcing Taeyong.” The small joke broke a bit of tension, as Jaehyun smiled lightly back, still conflicted in his emotions.

“Ya, don’t take my divorce as a joke!” Taeyong whinned, while Doyoung laughed.

Ten gave an innocent face, his tone playfull: “Who said it was a joke? I am just introducing myself”

Taeyong rolled his eyes, mumbling something about killing someone later.

“And from where do you come from?” Yuta sharp voice broke the gentle tension as everyone looked at the Japanese model who glared fiercely at Ten. Doyoung gave his fiancé a sharp, discrete blow under the table, clearly asking to not go into confrontation. Yuta glanced at him with a puzzeled expression. Wasn’t Taeyong’s ex some kind of jerk who left Taeyong and Yuta’s godson without turning back?

Ten however didn’t look affected as he just smiled: “Doyoung hyung, your fiancé is even more handful than you. No wonder Taeyongie wasn’t able to handle him.”

Yuta face paled, as his past relationship with Taeyong was never mentioned like that in public (and in front of the kids nonetheless!) but before he could retort: “I came back from Shanghai some days ago, but that was not the real question, was it?” Ten’s voice became soft, and somehow the intensity he gave turned cold, very cold. Yuta however stared back, as if you could see fire coming out of his body.

Doyoung quickly intervened: “Ten-ah, why don’t you sit down? The food will go cold, it would be a waste after all your efforts to reserve this place.” Looking briefly at his fiancé with pleading eyes that told him “Please don’t say anything, I will explain.”

Yuta getting the fact that this was planned (since Doyoung implied Ten had been the one reserving the place), glared fiercely at Ten before looking very angry at his fiancée. “You better make your explanation worth it.” He mumbled softly. Doyoung took Yuta’s hands under the table to calm him down, giving him an assured pinch.

Ten nodded, “Sure hyung.” He took the only place left at the table, in front of Jaehyun and Jeno, sitting right next to a very confused Kun who had in his arm the only unaffected person in this room: Jungwoo.

Ten took his place, nodding at Kun before smiling at the sight of the cute Jungwoo. Jungwoo looked up, seeing the very interesting blond hair he had attempted to reach several times with Mark and his eyes beamed, thinking there was another person with such interesting hair…meaning more chance to reach that blond hair!

Jungwoo smiled softly, his very innocent smile that would make anyone coo at the sight as he tried to get out of his daddy’s lap. Kun startled at the squirming Jungwoo, took a firmer hold on his son as he did not want him to disturb Ten, who he had no idea how to interact with. “It seems you are quite good with kids, my son likes you.” Kun politely said, not wanting to seem rude as Jungwoo still tried to reach Ten’s lap. Ten laughed: “Ah not really, usually they don’t like me. I was lucky I got Mark.”

The said person hadn’t looked up from the food he had been feeding Jisung. Jeno who finally couldn’t resist, asked: “Hyung, he is your appa?”

The table felt in silence, as Taeyong tried to make some eye contact at his eldest son in an attempt to judge the situation, but failed.

Mark however continued to feed Jisung with his chopsticks, as he briefly nodded at his brother’s question. “Hmm.”

Ten’s body trembled slightly, as he had anticipated for the kid to refute his existence. He was beyond grateful it wasn’t the case, even though Mark hadn’t looked at him. Now that Mark had somehow acknowledged him he could bear the silent cold shoulder better.

Taeyong was a surprised as Ten, while Yuta looked like he could explode any moment at his fiancé; what was going on?

Jeno however, frowned at his hyung’s reply. “But hyung is Appa and daddy’s son?” the tone was confused and sad, as he didn’t want to believe his Mark hyung was not his brother.

Mark hearing the sadness couldn’t help but look at Jeno, ignoring the heated stare from across the table. “Yes. Hyung is Appa’s and Daddy’s son, just like Jeno.” Mark explained softly.

Jeno’s eyes were less sad, but he still frowned: “But…”

Mark sighed inwardly as he thought that maybe he should have just said “no” at Jeno’s initial question. Mark himself didn’t know why he had just nodded, but days after that day in the hospital had made him do a lot of thinking. His experience with his Jaehyun appa had also taught him that wasting time would be stupid, and having clearly seen his daddy’s intention to reunite him with his father, Mark had somehow accepted the man as his father since he thought it was only fair to give it a shot after the explanation he had received. It did not mean everything was fine, after all the explanation may be logic to his head, it was another thing when it came to his heart. Whether he would truly accept him as his father, that would depend on his father himself, on his heart and their efforts they would both be willing to do.

But if accepting Ten would mean hurting his lovely brother, he would rather not. Jeno was after all the first family member he had received to care. Just like his sibilings, he had a very precious and special place in Mark’s heart, something which Ten could not compete yet.

Just as Mark decided to just simply take back his words, Renjun, sensible as ever decided to talk: “Jeno-ah, isn’t gege daddy’s and Appa’s son?”

Jeno nodded, not getting why his Renjun ge was asking such a question.

“Renjun ge is Appa’s and Daddy’s son. But Renjun ge also has a mother and father right?”

Jeno nodded, knowing his ge and Chenle indeed had a father and mother, who were in heaven.

“The same is for hyung. Hyung is daddy’s and appa’s son. But he also has a father.”

Jeno’s frown finally left his face, his eyesmile returning, very satisfied with his gege’s answer as things were finally clear and good.

“Ah, so uncle is hyung’s father?” Jeno directly addressed a flustered Ten who had been following their conversation intensely.

“Ah...yes, that’s right.” Ten managed to find his voice back, clearly lost how to address his son step-siblings.

Doyoung and Taeyong looked at each other, clearly the evening would be rather eventful and both were slightly worried how it would end…

 

 

Jisung whined, as he refused the chopstick full of delicious food that was presented in front of him. He had enough and wanted to sleep already. Mark tried to softly coax the younger into eating more, whispering softly encouraging words and sweet promises, as he wanted to nurture the sick body of the younger as much as possible. Jisung agreed twice but the third time he simply whined before burrowing his head into his hyung chest. Mark clearly understood the message and knowing he would not get the younger to eat any more, he took a tissue to wipe the younger one’s face clean as he did not want a greasy hoodie and it would be messy if Jisung slept like that.

Jisung nuzzled himself into his hyung chest, finding a good position to go back to dreamland.

Warm warm warm… Jisungie likes this pillow. Jisung’s fingers clutched his hyung’s hoodie, his eyes slowly getting heavier as a sense of security and satisfaction guided him to dreamland.

Renjun placed discreetly some food he had specially picked into his Hyung’s bowl as the older one had been focusing more on feeding the sleepy Jisung then himself. Donghyuck seeing this, took also a big looking fat portion of meat (his favourite) out of his bowl, placing it in Mark’s. Mark seeing this smiled, knowing Donghyuck had rarely parted with his favourite food. Mark swiftly returned another piece of delicious food to Donghyuk, who’s cheeks turned slightly pink at the gesture.

Jaemin pouted at the sight, before directly taking another big piece of meat out of Donghyuck’s bowl, placing it fast into his mouth before his hyung could even protest!

 “YA! You ungratefull brat that’s my food!” Donghyuck snapped at him, making Jaemin satisfied as he grinned back to him with an innocent face.

“Nana, don’t pick away your hyung’s food like that.” Yuta softly intervened, placing some meat into Donghyuck’s bowl, who finally calmed down. Before Nana could pout again&, Doyoung placed some of Nana’s favourite food into his bowl discretely, making the younger forget about his daddy’s and hyung lack of attention. Jeno looked up from his bowl where his Appa had placed some delicious food. “Appa too!” the kid beamed sincerely with his eyesmile, placing some food into his father’s bowl who just softly ruffled his hair back.

“Fuqin (father in Chinese) too!” Jeno continued, as he placed some food into Kun’s bowl, even placing some soft food for Jungwoo. Kun smiled back foundly at the kid, but had to give his attention quickly back at Jungwoo who had still not given up on his idea to touch Ten’s hair.

Ten looked at the table, Taeyong placed some food into Renjun’s bowl asking his son softly to eat more, while a pink-cheeked Renjun softly smiled back.

Such sight truly would make anyone bath in warmth.  

I am glad,…. yet envious. Ten sighed inwardly But if Lucas can be a part of this too, it will be fine.

Ten looked back at his own son, who was eating with one hand, while the other softly rubbed his brother’s back.  Ten had observed for quite a while, and although he had knew it, seeing it was something else: Mark sure looked more like an adult then a child. I wish time could be turned back for just a minute. A minute…I would give everything for it, to hold you back into my arms; your eyes containing only us, your smile being my world, your hands reaching for me, while your cheery voice calls me… Did you know, Mark? That memory was a light into the darkness, I could firmly hold into it, while fighting with those people in a world I would never allow you to discover. Nor you, nor Lucas. I will keep fighting for it till the end. I can’t ask you to wait more, as I made you wait long enough. But I will finish them soon, and bring things back, I promise you and Lucas, I will…

Mark felt the soft gaze on him, but he did not acknowledge it. Just as he wanted to reach out for some food, Jeno’s voice startled him: “Hyung, why is your hand purple?”

Mark dropped his chopsticks, realising that he carelessly not realised that the sleeves of his hoodie were up, slightly revealing the bruise he had there from several days ago.

“Ah.” Mark dropped his sleeves before one of the adults could look at it. “Ah it’s not purple, Jeno. Its just some sauce, hyung was a bit clumsy with one hand.” Mark forced his voice to be soft and gentle as usual. He felt the gazes of his uncles and Appa shift on him, and a slight panic swelled in his h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter