chapter 5

Secret Love Song
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next evening was very hectic for all of the members. All of them were busy preparing for the concert that would take place the following night, and not one of them was even close to being finished with their preparations.

Hyukjae had just finished packing up the last box of souvenirs that they would be selling at the arena, and he looked around the room to see the members scattered everywhere, doing all kinds of tasks to get ready for the upcoming concert. The living room of the dorm never had so many boxes in it, not even when all the members moved in, and it was quite the sight to see all of the members working so hard and the room being almost completely silent. 

Kangin and Leeteuk were folding t-shirts, Kyuhyun was counting the money made from selling tickets, Sungmin was putting batteries in all of the light sticks with the help of Siwon and Heechul, and Donghae was boxing all of the posters. The rest of the members were out filming a variety show and wouldn't return until later.

"This is so boring," Heechul groaned as he popped two more batteries into the blue light stick, pressing the button to turn it on, and then off again, and tossing it into the box.

"Be careful with that! You might break it," Sungmin scolded, lightly hitting Heechul on the shoulder. He only received a grumble in response before the two went back to work.

Hyukjae sealed the box and placed it with the others near the door before he quietly approached Donghae on the couch so as to not disturb him. The brunet glanced up at Hyukjae when he had noticed he was standing there, a soft smile gracing his lips while he waited for the blond to speak.

Hyukjae looked at the other members, all of them focused on there jobs. He was sure nobody would notice -- or care -- if the two slipped away for just a minute. "Come with me," he whispered to the younger before they quietly snuck to the back of the dorm and into their bedroom, closing and locking the door behind them, even though they would only be in there for a few minutes.

He could never be too careful.

"What's up?" Donghae asked, concerned, as he wrapped his arms around the blond's slim waist. He looked up at Hyukjae, his chin resting on his boyfriend's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Hyukjae smiled at his boyfriend and ran his fingers through the brunet's hair. "I'm fine, I just wanted to give you something really quick, before I have to leave and drive Sora to the airport."

The older's heart nearly melted when Donghae's eyes lit up and he started clapping like a child. "A present?" he asked excitedly, adding to his childish act. 

Hyukjae chuckled. "Yeah, you could call it that," he muttered as the brunet released him and he walked over to his closet, pulling out a box wrapped in silver with a blue ribbon tied around it. He gave Donghae a smile and awkwardly scratched his head as he handed over the package. "It's more like a late anniversary gift, I guess."

Donghae gave a tiny giggle and sat down on Hyukjae's bed, the blond following his actions and sitting down next to the younger and wrapping a gentle arm around his waist. "Can I open it?" he asked, eyeing the other. Hyukjae nodded and Donghae pulled the ribbon off before carefully removing the wrapping paper so it wouldn't rip. 

After opening the flaps of the cardboard box, the younger let out a quiet little gasp, so soft that Hyukjae barely even heard it. He couldn't help but smile a little bit upon hearing the brunet's laughter as Donghae pulled the item out of the box.

The blond chuckled when Donghae gave him a cute glare and he kissed the younger's pout away. "A Nemo plushie?" Donghae asked in disbelief. "That's your anniversary present?"

"Well if you don't want it, I'll take it back," Hyukjae teased, reaching for the orange and white toy.

Donghae pulled the plushie out of the older's reach. "No no, that's not what I said." The brunet grinned. "I was just... why?"

"I saw it at the little toy shop at the airport in Japan, so I went and bought it for you while you were buying us coffee," Hyukjae explained. "But there's something else in the box."

Donghae peeked inside the cardboard box on his lap and pulled out a silver keychain with the letters DH on it. He gave the blond a questioning look.

The older sighed and took the keychain. "I really wanted to get you a ring or a necklace, but I didn't want anybody to get suspicious so this seemed like the next best thing. It's supposed to be us," he said, holding up the keychain to show the brunet. "D for Donghae and H for Hyukjae. You can do what ever you want with it. I just thought you would like it," he muttered.

Donghae got up and walked across the room to his nightstand, placing the Nemo and the keychain next to each other before turning around and opening his arms wide, silently asking the older for a hug. He smiled and sighed contentedly once Hyukjae stood up and immediately wrapped his arms tightly around his boyfriend. "I love you baby," the blond whispered against Donghae's hair, placing a soft and sweet kiss on Donghae's temple. "So, so much."

Donghae looked up at the blond, a glimpse of mischief in his eyes. He gave Hyukjae a quick peck before he abruptly leaned backwards, causing the two to fall onto his bed, Hyukjae lying on top of him. The blond rolled his eyes at the younger's playfulness but clasped their lips together in a long and passionate kiss, their first one that day. 

He rolled over to the side so he was now lying on his back next to Donghae, their legs hanging off the side of the bed. "Hyukjae?" Donghae called, taking Hyukjae's hand in his own while he used the other one to pick up the keychain again and stare at it blankly. He rubbed his thumb over the cast that still bound the older's hand and bit the inside of his cheek.

"Hmm?"

The brunet turned to face Hyukjae. "I kind of, um, I want..." he began, not sure how he should say what's been on his mind. Donghae chewed on his bottom lip when the other turned his head to look at him.

"What's the matter?" Hyukjae asked gently, squeezing the younger's hand, encouraging him to go on.

Donghae took a quick cleansing breath and looked straight into the blond's eyes. "I don't want to hide it anymore. I want to show the world how much I love you."

Hyukjae slowly sat up, followed by Donghae. "Baby, we've talked about this," he reminded. And he was right, Donghae brought it up almost every week, saying how he wants to release a statement about their relationship and that it's unfair to the members that they have kept such a big secret from them.

"I just thought... maybe it's time we --"

"Donghae, listen to me. I love you with all of my heart. You know that right?" Donghae kept his mouth shut and only nodded. "I know you want to tell everyone. Believe me, I know. And I do too. There's nothing I'd rather have than to see you happy and the both of us displaying our relationship openly. But sometimes there are just some things that people don't agree with. This is one of those things. Do you get what I'm saying?"

"But they can't --"

"Sweetheart, just listen. There are people out there who don't agree with gay relationships and may never accept them. And trust me when I say they won't keep their feelings to themselves. They've done it before," he told the younger. "Those people are not afraid to speak out about their opinions and I just don't want anything they say to get in your head and hurt your feelings. You are strong, but just because you're a public figure does not mean they won't include you in what they have to say. I've heard what some of these people have said about people like us, and it's not something I want anyone to ever say abo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter