chapter 14

Secret Love Song
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a long drive (during which Donghae fell asleep for twenty minutes) they finally reached the cemetery where the brunet's father was buried.

Hyukjae looked at Donghae for a moment after he parked the car. The younger didn't look back though. He stared down at his lap and bit his lip, his fingers playing with the zipper on his jacket.

Hyukjae knew his boyfriend like nobody else did, and he knew that this was harder for Donghae than the brunet would let on. He knew the younger wanted to be brave for him, but there were times when it was okay to let your guard down, and the blond believed that this was one of those times.

"Hae, it's okay. You don't have to do this," Hyukjae whispered, reaching over to run his fingers through his boyfriend's hair and try to calm Donghae down. "We can go back to my parents' house."

Donghae finally looked into the bond's eyes, and Hyukjae couldn't help but smile as those beautiful brown orbs sparkled when their eyes connected. "No, I want to do this. I want to tell my dad just like we told everyone else."

Hyukjae sighed and they got out of the car, and he was instantly by the younger's side, holding his hand tightly as they walked through the silent cemetery.

Both Hyukjae and Donghae kneeled down and bowed respectfully in front of Mr. Lee's gravestone, staying like that for a short while. Then they sat up and Donghae scooted closer to the blond, their hands finding each other again.

Donghae shivered, and Hyukjae hoped it was because of the cold and not something else. "Hi dad. I have a surprise for you. I wish you were here though so I could tell you in person," the brunet spoke lowly, and Hyukjae squeezed the younger's hand to encourage him. A lone tear fell but Donghae wiped it away instantly. "I miss you."

Hyukjae shuffled closer to his boyfriend and draped an arm around the brunet's shoulder. He pecked Donghae's temple softly. "It's okay Hae," he whispered.

Donghae nodded and kept his gaze on the stone in front of them. "There are so many things I wish I could tell you about, you know? So many things have happened to me since I last visited you, and I don't know if you know about them."

"He does," the blond whispered as he rubbed Donghae's back to soothe him. "He knows about all of those things because he is watching over you and protecting you. But don't cry, I think it will make him sad too. You don't have to cry baby. I think he would rather see you happy, right? He's not gone. Your father is still with you."

The younger nodded, but he did nothing to try and stop the waterfall of tears that came next. "I miss you so much dad. Don't let my crying fool you though. I'm so, so happy right now. But I wish you were here to be happy with me too. There are so many amazing things happening and I wish you were here to enjoy them with me."

The older man's arm moved from his love's shoulders to his waist, holding Donghae tighter and whispering sweet words in his ear to calm the brunet down.

"I fell in love dad," Donghae suddenly said, smiling through his tears. "I love Hyukjae so much, and he loves me so much too, and I wanted to tell you just like I told mom and Donghwa. But I think you knew it already, didn't you?" he asked and paused for a moment. "All those times you told me how lucky our family is to have somebody so special like Hyukjae in our lives. That was a hint right?"

Hyukjae chuckled. "Did he really say that?"

Donghae nodded and leaned into his boyfriend's embrace. "Dad, you always told me to do what makes me happy. I hope you know that I think about those words every day, and I am happy just like you wanted. I'm very happy with Hyukjae."

"And I'm very happy with Donghae. I hope you can give us your blessing from heaven," Hyukjae said. "I will stay with your son until the end of time. I've never loved anyone as much as I love him and I will always try to be the best for him."

Donghae sniffled and more tears fell. "He is already the best for me, even when he doesn't try."

Hyukjae couldn't keep himself from pulling the younger onto his lap, wrapping his arms so tightly around Donghae's waist and burying his face in thr crook of the brunet's neck. Donghae instinctively circled his arms around his boyfriend to return the hug, and they sat like that f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter