Chapter 9

Noxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If there was something Sehun was good at, it was pretending. Pretending to be happy used to be his favorite thing to do but he got bored of it after his parents stopped caring about his happiness and decided to learn the art of pretending to not care instead. It quickly became his usual reaction to everything although he genuinely didn’t care most of the time. Sehun mastered the illusion of many things over the years and it somehow became a second nature to him so it was the best thing to do when Soojung barged into the room without prior notice and threw her bag full of heavy books onto the floor. Indeed, Sehun decided to be wise and pretend to be asleep. When Soojung was mad (and she definitely sounded mad with the way she closed the door behind her with a loud bang), it was a situation of fight or flight mode and fighting was never really an option with her. He would pass on that quarrel and simply collect the missing pieces after his best friends would be done ruining each other’s day as usual.

 

 

Sehun didn’t put much effort into his acting since Jongin could barely notice anything when Soojung was there anyway, especially not now when she was angry, and Soojung seemed too bothered to care. She was yelling and walking around all the while trying to calm down which made it all too messy but Jongin eventually proposed to go outside to talk since Sehun was sleeping.

 

Sehun sighed because he wanted to know what exactly this was all about even if he had hunch that it was because of Seulgi, because it was always because of her. It wasn’t Soojung’s type to make such a fuss, no matter what the problem was and her behaviour was strange to not say completely out of character. She was obviously furious but he noted how distressed she was with the way she paced around the room and it worried him. It was probably something beyond her, something she couldn’t control and dear to her. It was definitely something related to Seulgi. Sehun loudly sighed as he shifted in his bed.

 

“I can’t believe that airhead is really going to be the end of us all,”  he mumbled as he heard Soojung and Jongin yell right outside of the door. Thankfully for him, he didn’t have to eavesdrop to know what was going on since the ex-couple did everything in their power to be loud and clear about how much they disagreed on basically everything.

 

“How was I supposed to know that she didn’t know? Isn’t she your friend? I thought girls usually tell each other about their breakup,” Jongin refuted.

 

“Not me!” Soojung snapped, “I don’t do that and especially not with Seulgi, of all people!”

 

“Of course, you can’t tell her that,” he scoffed. “What would she think of you, going out with me when you had absolutely no feelings for me.”

 

“That’s not true, I had feelings for you! Maybe not as strong as you would have wished but they were there. Oh my God, but you’re right. What will she think of me now, especially when she said she despised people like that,” Soojung almost sobbed. “Did you really have to tell her? She said to talk to you on the phone, that we needed to talk, she knows, oh my God she knows.”

 

“Wait, you’re here because she told you to talk to me?” Jongin frowned. “This is ridiculous. I can’t believe you’re really acting that way Soojung. Do you not recognize me? Hi I am Jongin your long time friend, do you not have any conscience or something? Don’t you feel bad for not explaining anything to me? You care so little about me that you wouldn't have talked to me unless your, oh so precious Seulgi told you to do so?”

 

“I told you it was complicated! I need to sort out some things first and explain it correctly to you.”

 

“Yeah sure, you just want to make sure Seulgi has a nice impression of you, to be on her good side,” Jongin said with an eye roll. He had never been remotely mean with Soojung in his entire life but he couldn’t help it now, heck he couldn’t recognize her. The Soojung in front of him was selfish, impulsive and only cared about one thing and that thing had nothing to do with him. It was always about her and it enraged him.  It was always Seulgi. “, this is so dumb. We were happy together and now this.”

 

“Who was happy? You right, because you were living in your bubble filled with rainbows and unicorns thinking about love letters and whatnot without being able to notice in the slightest that I was suffocating in this relationship . If anything you’re ing selfish Jongin.”

 

“Me?” Jongin gasped, completely shocked. “I didn’t go out with someone I didn’t love and played with their feelings for God knows what reason while being in love with a friend that barely cares about me?”

 

It was Soojung’s turn to loudly gasp.

 

“W-who told you?” she stuttered. “S-Sehun did, didn't he? Of course he did, he couldn't keep it to himself forever. Wait, you didn’t tell her, didn’t you? Please for the love of God and anything good on this ty Earth, Jongin, you didn’t tell Seulgi that.”

 

Before Jongin could answer, the door they were standing in front of slowly opened to a moody Sehun with his untied sneakers in his hands and his car’s keys hanging out of his jeans’ pocket.

 

“You wouldn’t be able to be louder even if you wanted to, for ’s sake. I feel like I am going through my parents’ divorce again,” he grunted as he closed the door behind him. 

 

“I am sorry that we woke you up,” Jongin quickly apologized, obviously embarrassed that Sehun heard everything.

 

“He wasn’t sleeping,” Soojung deadpanned with an eye roll.

 

“I am going out, don’t call me and don’t wait for me.” Sehun simply said as he walked towards the dorms' exit. “And please, go inside the room I beg you. Nobody needs to know how much you two hate each other.”

 

Soojung and Jongin both looked at each other before sighing. They were ridiculous. Yelling at each other had never been their thing and yet, they were doing it as if it was a second nature. Jongin wanted to apologize for yelling but he couldn't find the strength to do so, wondering if she would apologize too and the simple thought of being the only one to apologize made him reluctant to do it first. He didn't want to give in, it would be too easy for her to use it as a way of reminding him that he was lower than her. Soojung had thrown him away and stepped on him like a dirty sock way too often and too easily. She would too this time again.

 

Soojung walked past him to get inside the room and lifted a brow at Jongin when she noticed he wouldn't follow.

 

"What are you doing? Get in."

 

"First of all, this is my room," Jongin said as if it mattered. Soojung looked at him again with a deeper frown.

 

"Then would you please get inside your room so we can talk?" she asked again exhausted, as if she was talking to a grumpy child. It was exactly how Jongin acted, like a childish grown up.

 

He pretended to be reluctant at first and walked in after a sigh, as if Soojung was the one being unreasonable.

 

"So what now? Are we supposed to calmly talk about how you used me to get close to someone who liked me instead of you and got your revenge by breaking my heart?" Jongin started. "Or that was too much?"

 

"First of all, you," Soojung spat before closing the door. As soon as she did, she turned around to face her ex who wasn't in the least shaken up by her insult. "You know what?"

 

"What?"

 

"Second of all, you again," Soojun gritted.

 

"Should I prepare myself for a third you or you have something else to say?" Jongin asked, realizing that they had reversed their roles with Soojung being the childish one.

 

"I didn't think you would stoop so low, going as far as to ruin it all for me," Soojung continued. "Seulgi probably hates me now."

 

"She doesn't," Jongin reasoned at Soojung's newfound dramatic side. "She doesn't hate anyone."

 

"She hates what I did, it's the same," she said before throwing a pillow in Jongin's direction.

 

"Ok so what? Move on, who cares about what Seulgi thinks. It's not like you had a chance with her anyway," Jongin spat as he caught the pillow. He realized what he said when Soojung stopped amidst her insult and blushed out of anger, her eyes filled with hurt. He finally did it, she was hurt by his words.

 

And instead of feeling bad, Jongin was pissed. 

 

"Don't look at me like that, you know it's true. She will never like you, she likes me, even if you hate it. Even if she didn't like me, she wouldn't necessarily like you, you're her friend. That's it."

 

Soojung took a sharp intake of breath before quickly walking to Jongin and snatching the pillow from his h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter