Chapter 14

Noxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Conflicted, confused, concerned but certainly not confident. Seulgi had little to no knowledge about those type of things and it was becoming overwhelming. Dating was a new thing for her and she didn't know what she was doing, why she was doing it nor why it mattered that she was doing it at all most of the time. Every single movement Jongin did made her nervous, whether it was turning his face to look her way (did it mean he wanted to kiss her?), moving closer to her (did he want a hug?), breathed too loud (was it a sigh?) or even did nothing at all (did he think she was unattractive? Was he mad? Was he going to dump her? Was he thinking of Soojung? Was he currently comparing her to Soojung?). Last time, Jongin insisted to hold hands while watching the movie and she was reluctant to do it (her hand was a bit sweaty) but it was the third time she said no-- he wouldn't understand, he would dump her-- so she said yes because it suddenly became a necessity. She even accepted to sit on Jongin's bed with him but she absolutely couldn't lie down.

 

"Your back won't hurt?"

 

"No I am fine don't worry about me."

 

She would smile and then apologize for being so difficult. Seulgi could barely breathe through her nose and she wondered if it was normal to be so stressed about something that had yet to happen with someone she absolutely wanted it to happen with. She loved to think of the moment she would lose her ity to Jongin but even the mere idea of actually doing it was too scary. She dreaded the moment he would lose patience and just dump her because it was somehow meant to happen. Seulgi could believe they started dating (it's been two weeks after all, she had to come to terms with the idea) but she knew it wasn't meant to last. Since they started dating, he was very nice and gentle with her but it couldn't last too long and Seulgi was aware of it, she was almost waiting for the moment Jongin would tell her "Hey, I'm sorry but it won't work. Thanks for everything though." Seulgi couldn't sleep well at night and it was starting to show.

 

She wanted to look pretty for Jongin but she was too tired to put effort into her outfits, so she wore the same neutral colors that weren't too flashy. It wasn't exactly her style but after watching a few Youtube videos and observing Soojung for over a year, Seulgi started to understand why everyone dressed in black, brown, beige and other boring colors: it was classy and easy.

 

Everything was so overwhelming that Seulgi was on the edge all the time: she would always check her phone with the hope that Jongin would text her, avoid going to bed too early in case he could call her or look around her whenever she was on campus to have a glimpse of her boyfriend. Seulgi didn't know if it was normal that Jongin never texted her unless it was to see her. If she didn't text him first, she doubted Jongin would even remember that they were a couple. They had no daily casual conversation or good morning's or good night's or even how was your day type of texts, there was nothing at all. Usually, he would send a simple 'are you busy right now?' And Seulgi would abandon whatever she was doing to go see him with a bit of hesitation.

 

Seulgi understood the concept of being taken for granted and she knew that's exactly what was happening to her but she wasn't sure that she completely hated the idea. Sure, things only worked the way Jongin wanted but at least they worked and they were still together. Seulgi believed it would be a miracle if their relationship survived the one-month mark so she had to enjoy it while it lasted, even if her fairytale wasn't so much of a fairytale at this point.

 

"Do you think ponytails and tight buns give headaches?" Seulgi curiously asked Jisoo.

 

"I honestly don't tie my hair all that much but when I do I try to avoid that just in case," Jisoo explained. "I've had friends who complained about that all the time so just don't do it anymore. Why, you have a headache?" She asked with concern.

 

Seulg nodded before resting her head on top of the cafeteria table. She had to push her food away as Jisoo watched her worriedly, it was the second day in a row that Seulgi wouldn't eat anything at lunch.

 

"Did you eat a huge breakfast?" Jisoo asked to wich Seulgi shook her head. "Then do you have a stomachache?"

 

"No, it's just that my head hurts," Seulgi said as she took off her bright yellow scrunchy and let her hair fall all over her face. She closed her eyes and started breathing slowly as the sounds of students talking, laughing and eating around her became a bit less overwhelming.

 

"Are you on a diet Seulgi?" She heard Jisoo ask. Although that wasn't entirely true, Seulgi did believe she could lose a few pounds before the big moment (she didn't want to disappoint Jongin), but she wasn't eating because she was too tired to do anything with at the moment.

 

"Maybe that's why your head hurts like that..." Jisoo continued. Seulgi shrugged and continued to fall asleep under her friend's worried eyes. It was already hard to see Seulgi so lifeless compared to her bright and energetic persona, but Jisoo couldn't stand that she was not even eating properly. She understood that things could be hard for Seulgi, especially when she knew that if it weren't for her, Seulgi would have no one to watch over her. The poor thing hadn't seen any glimpse of her family in months, her boyfriend wasn't very present and the two friends she made since the beginning of the semester didn't want to spend time with her anymore.

 

Jisoo had seen Soojung in the hallways talking to her other friends as she was looking for Seulgi (Seulgi wouldn't answer to her phone again) and made the mistake of asking Soojung if she knew where Seulgi was. For some reason, Soojung was very cold and acted like she had no idea why Jisoo would ask her about Seulgi's whereabouts. "She probably with her boyfriend for all I care," she remembered Soojung say with disdain.

Jisoo could only sigh at the sight in front of her. Seulgi was a shell of what she used to be.

 

"Don't you have class in the afternoon?" She asked as Seulgi shifted in her sleep.

 

"Not today, I just have to finish a lab report at the library, I couldn't do it yesterday," Seulgi mumbled.

 

"Do you need help?"

 

"No it's fine, I just want to sleep a tiny bit... don't worry Jisoo, I am fine..."

 

With that said, Seulgi was already back to sleeping. Jisoo sighed and looked around before checking the time. Okay Seulgi didn't have class but she did and Jisoo couldn't leave Seulgi sleeping at the table like that. She tried waking her up again but she felt so bad when Seulgi pleaded to let her sleep a bit more --"it's the first time I get some rest in a bit"

 

"But I have to go Seul," Jisoo said.

 

"It's fine, I am fine you can go..."

 

Jisoo hesitated and looked at the time again out of nervousness, she had to be in class in less than 10 minutes. She got up and quickly walked out oof the cafeteria into the hallways. Jisoo started running towards her locker to take her books and was relieved to see that Sehun was at his locker too.

 

"Hi," Jisoo said with a beaming smile. "Are you busy right now?"

 

"It depends what you consider busy, I was going to take a nap," Sehun shrugged.

 

"That's amazing actually," Jisoo smiled. "Do you want to take a nap with someone else?"

 

"What do you mean?" Sehun asked with a raised eyebrow.

 

"Seulgi is taking a nap too but she's kinda doing it at the cafeteria and I don't want people to think she's homeless or anything or that there's no one to take care of her or that she was stupid enough to sleep in a place where we're not allowed to sleep, you know, the usual haha," Jisoo rambled on after quickly looking at the time again. "And I really got to go."

 

"So you're asking me to look after her," Sehun said as he closed his locker. "Why?"

 

"Well you're nice."

 

"I don't know where you got that but I am not nice," Sehun drily chuckled.

 

"Yes you are, you're even nicer than Jongin, you know, her boyfriend," Jisoo started. "I tried to get to know him because you know he's my friend's boyfriend and I wanted to make sure she's in good hands but he completely dismissed me and my questions and tried to pass it off as okay by smiling at the end, your friend is kinda rude."

 

"It's a phase," Sehun sighed as he started walking.

 

"But anyway, I believe you care a bit more about Seulgi than you pretend to, even if she's not your friend, she's still your lab partner," Jisoo tried at last. "You wouldn't let your lab partner get escorted out of the cafeteria by a security guard with her hair all over her face and a piece of bread stuck onto her clothes because she slept over it on the table."

 

"If you're trying to make me pity Seulgi you don't need to, she's pitiful as it is on a daily basis."

 

"So you noticed too?" Jisoo asked surprised as she followed Sehun into the hallway. "She has been acting strange lately, she's always down, she doesn't eat and barely talks, she takes naps anywhere and she won't tell me anything. Every time I ask she says she's fine but I don't know about that."

 

"It must be a phase too, I don't know," Sehun rolled his eyes. Jisoo smiled when she realized Sehun was headed towards the cafeteria.

 

"So I can leave her in your hands? I will be late to class," Jisoo asked.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about."

 

"Of course you don't," Jisoo said with a knowing smile. "No one will kill you for being honest you know, it's okay to worry for your friends."

 

Sehun sighed and turned around as soon as Jisoo left. It was becoming redundant, all this "do this, do that", "take care of x but don't forget y" and "care about but don't worry about " and he was tired of all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter