Chapter 12

Noxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Seulgi felt like a new person. She had always been so happy but things had been rough lately   and she had forgotten to be grateful for everything she had as she went through her first slump. But now it was back. The exhilarating feeling of being invincible, the positive mindset she had lost, the beaming smile that she used to wear everyday, they were all coming back to her now. Seulgi felt like she could fly if she wanted to. Things that seemed so dull before became colorful, she felt happy at the slightest thing and the simple thought of Jongin made her heart beat so fast that she needed to steady her breathing. Everything was overwhelming but she loved it, it was fun to be alive again.

 

Seulgi smiled all the way to her chemistry class in the hallways and was gladly surprised to see some students smile at her back. They maybe felt like sharing her joy without knowing what could be so interesting on a Monday morning.

 

She was maybe a bit early to class, even to her 30 minutes was a lot of time to just sit down and wait for the teacher to arrive but she barely slept last night. Seulgi was so occupied being grateful for what happened to her that she didn't close her eyes one bit. When the alarm rang into her ears, she could only sigh and start smiling again as she remembered she would see Jongin today. She even put on a bit of makeup, nothing serious, just a bit of concealer, mascara, powder, blush and maybe she did follow a Youtube video on what type of lipsticks suited her best to choose what to wear today. She was different but it was okay. Seulgi couldn't even study properly on Sunday but it was okay, she could still get back on track today. Everything was fine.

 

Seulgi walked into the classroom with the hint of a smile that wouldn't leave her lips. She scanned the room to choose a seat, obviously at the front or else she wouldn't be able to take proper notes and answer to the teacher's questions, but her eyes diverted to the back where she saw a familiar backpack that she knew belonged to Sehun. It was too early, it couldn't be him, Sehun barely attended their chemistry class when it was scheduled in the morning. Out of curiosity, Seulgi walked all the way to the back just to confirm that it was indeed Sehun. He was resting his head onto the desk with his backpack in front of him to hide himself from the classroom's bright lights. Seulgi was about to casually call his name when she remembered what happened the last time they talked to each other. She hesitated by making two steps toward him and then walking back. She turned around again just to give up in the end and to walk towards the front.

 

"What are you doing?" Sehun said as he pushed his backpack aside. "If you're going to sit then just sit," he added with his usual annoyed tone while lifting his head up. Sehun remained quiet as he examined her from head to toes with a curious look. As if Seulgi was waiting for him to mock her, she stayed frozen in her place, analyzing his face for the hint of the slightest frown, the beginning of a smirk, a sigh or worse, a chuckle. But he didn't make any remark, Sehun didn't move one inch.

 

"Are you going to sit?" He softly asked when he realized Seulgi wouldn't move. She nodded and hesitantly walked to sit next to him, at the far back of the class. It was different but it was okay.

 

Sehun pushed his things aside so she could have more space and couldn't help his surprise when he noticed the enticing fruity smell in the air.

 

"You put on perfume?" Sehun asked.

 

"I did," Seulgi said with what seemed like some fake momentum,  as if she wanted him to hear it as I did and what about it? Sehun didn't do much about it, Seulgi had never been anything close to intimidating. As if on cue, she became hesitant again. "Are you... are you not going to mock me?"

 

"What for?"

 

"For the perfume, I know you noticed the makeup too," Seulgi added. "You always notice the smallest things..."

 

"I don't, it just happens to be obvious with you," Sehun shrugged.

 

"But still, you really won't say anything? It would be so easy. Just a small 'what are you trying to attract with that perfume? Teddy bears?' Or even 'you're not even pretty with makeup'."

 

Sehun let out a scoff before shifting in his seat. He was more bothered than he thought he would by the fact that Seulgi genuinely thought of him as a bully. He had never even called her ugly, how could she believe he would say that?

 

"So nothing, really?" Seulgi asked again. "You're not gonna mock me?"

 

Sehun cleared his throat before looking at her again.

 

"I think I've done enough of that," he said as Seulgi smiled. "For now."

 

"You know you don't have to mock me at all," Seulgi with an even bigger smile.

 

"I know," Sehun sighed.

 

"Do you want to smell my perfume? It's infused with peaches," Seulgi explained as she got closer.

 

"I can already smell it from here," Sehun said before pushing her away.

 

"Your loss," Seulgi shrugged with her good mood completely unperturbed. 

 

 "What are you being so pretty for anyway?" 

 

He couldn't help it, he had to a bit.

 

"What are you doing here so early anyway?" Seulgi said as she took out her chemistry textbooks. "That's more disturbing."

 

"I printed the lab and left it on the teacher's desk," Sehun explained. Seulgi gasped and turned to look at him.

 

"Jesus, I completely forgot about that!"

 

"I know, I thought it was impossible at first but then I figured something bad must have happened so I finished it and printed it," Sehun revealed. "I can't guarantee you we'll have a full marks as usual but I followed the instructions you left in my notebook last time. It could work."

 

"I'm so sorry," Seulgi said dejectedly. "And thank you, I won't let that happen again."

 

"It's not as dramatic as you make it sound, you barely left anything to do, I just went over it," Sehun chuckled. He took a pause and hesitated before talking again. "To be fully honest, that's not why I came so early to class. I wanted to talk about what happened last time. I may be an idiot but I usually know my limits and I shouldn't have gone overboard like that, I'm sorry."

 

Seulgi was momentarily shaken and had to make sure she understood what she heard before breaking into a bright smile.

 

"It's fine, forget about it. We're even now," Seulgi said as handed out her hand. "It's okay."

 

"I said I'm sorry but I am not going to shake your hand," Sehun scoffed.

 

Seulgi used her hand to slightly hit him for leaving her hanging and let it go at that with a chuckle.

 

"But it's really okay," Seulgi continued. "I don't need to forgive you anymore, we're even. I forgot the lab report and you... you were dislikable too so it's okay."

 

"Are you sure?" Sehun asked, feeling like it was unfair to let her believe both of their mistakes were on par. "You usually do the labs on your own so I did the bare minimum for once."

 

"It's okay, I'm just glad you took the initiative to work on it at all," Seulgi said with a smile.

 

"You're annoyingly happy," Sehun pointed out.

 

"It happens once in a while," Seulgi shrugged with a chuckle. 

 

"Also, about what you were doing with Jongin last time," Sehun started as he noticed the teacher entering the class. "Was it anything serious?"

 

"Oh no, not really. Well, I don't know, does it count as serious serious? I mean, nobody was injured or anything," Seulgi rambled on.

 

Sehun curiously eyed her as class started. Didn't she just avoid the question? He brought back his attention onto the teacher and decided he would listen for once, maybe it could be useful for the next time Seulgi decided to leave him alone with the lab report. Not that he cared about how much work she would have to do on her own because he didn't like chemistry but he maybe liked that Seulgi could rely on him when she had an inconvenience and couldn't finish the work on time.

 

Sehun realized class went by a lot faster when he listened and that chemistry wasn't as boring as he thought, at least not all of it. He decided organic chemistry was fun.

 

"Do you want to eat lunch with me?" Seulgi hesitantly asked as she packed her bag. "I heard you usually eat with Jisoo, and that's funny because me too," she chuckled amidst her sentence. "But she signed up for a literary project and she has a meeting today."

 

"So?" Sehun asked with an arched brow, genuinely confused as to why Seulgi thought he cared whether or not Jisoo was available.

 

"Well I thought you would eat with her but-- oh right, you must have other friends to eat with," Seulgi realized a bit flustered. "Silly me. You should go join them, I was planning to go to the library anyway," Seulgi lied.

 

"You are indeed silly," Sehun smiled. "Why take it back if you don't have anyone else to eat with anyway. Let's go to the cafeteria, airhead."

 

Seulgi couldn't believe Sehun genuinely smiled at her but smiled back nevertheless. She followed him outside the classroom as they started bickering on what was best to eat on the cafeteria menu as usual when Sehun stopped in his walk. Seulgi understood why as her eyes set o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter