Chapter 5

Noxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was indeed small, maybe even a bit smaller than Soojung had imagined but it fitted Seulgi perfectly. It was obvious only one person lived in this apartment because of the unicity of each object but it was welcoming and emanated a warm feeling to anyone who stepped inside. It was juste very Seulgi-ish. There were pictures of her family everywhere and many plushies on the bed: it was like a room for a child living alone.

 

"Most of them are from my dad. He is honestly more obsessed with them than me," Seulgi explained when she saw Soojung's eyes set onto her colorful bed.

 

"Did he buy them all?"

 

"Some come from claw machines," Seulgi smiled. "He's really good at it, you should hear him brag," she chuckled as a wave of nostalgia hit her. Her smile eventually faded but it was quickly replaced by a small chuckle when Soojung played with a large bear to make her laugh.

 

"It's a nice place," Soojung finally commented after letting go of the adorable bear. "It's very cute."

 

"You think?" Seulgi bashfully asked. "I honestly thought you wouldn't like it."

 

"Why?"

 

"You seem like you would prefer big and spacious rooms with less decoration, I don't know."

 

"I'll be honest with you, I usually do but I particularly like this one," Soojung reassured her. "It reminds me of you."

 

"I don't know if it's a good thing," Seulgi giggled. "To know someone you really have to visit their bedroom after all, it represents them I guess."

 

"You shouldn't say that," Soojung quickly warned her. "At least not to strangers."

 

"Why?"

 

"Come on Seulgi, to know someone you have to visit their bedroom," she repeated a bit incredulous. "That can only mean one thing. It doesn't sound weird to you?"

 

"Well, a bedroom usually holds the most precious items someone has like their jewelries or personal photos, I don't know. You do have to visit that to know them better," Seulgi hesitantly answer.

 

"Anyone else would have thought otherwise Seulgi, be careful," Soojung said as she thought of Sehun's words. Seulgi was indeed innocent to the point that it could be frustrating. It almost seemed impossible that she got a personality like that in this century when was everywhere. It was on TV, in clothing shops, in music, in the streets through advertisements, it was in convenience stores, in hotels, it was even at school when you heard the other students talk. And yet, there she was with her untainted version of reality.

 

"I will be," Seulgi brightly smiled. "So what did you want to talk about? You said on the phone that you had something important to tell me."

 

"T-that's right," Soojung stuttered as she walked to Seulgi. She sat next to her in the tiny dinner room where there was only two chairs and refused as Seulgi proposed her a drink.

 

"Why do you look so tensed? Is it something grave?" Seulgi asked as she poured herself a glass of lemonade.

 

"It is," Soojung admitted with difficulty. There was something stuck in as if the words refused to leave . She was stressed and it was nerve-wracking to see Seulgi from so close waiting for her to reveal the news like that but she had to do it. She couldn’t go home without telling it to Seulgi. "It really is, I-In fact, I…"

 

"You?"

 

"I… I am…"

 

"Soojung? Are you okay?" Seulgi asked worriedly.

 

"I... I am breaking up with Jongin!"

 

Seulgi choked on her lemonade and became red after coughing a bit. Soojung reached out to help her but it was nothing she couldn't handle. Unlike what Soojung thought, Seulgi's red cheeks didn't become neutral even after she started breathing correctly and the surprised look on her face never died down as she looked back at Soojung.

 

"So suddenly?" Seulgi asked after regaining her composure.

 

“It isn’t so sudden, I’ve been thinking about it for a while,” Soojung awkwardly revealed.

 

“Why? Are you guys not on good terms? But you seemed fine not too long ago... Did he do something to you?” Seulgi continued with the same concern plastered on her face.

 

“No! Jongin didn’t do anything wrong. He wouldn’t hurt me, he is the best boyfriend one could ever have,” Soojung said as soon. “He is perfect the way he is.”

 

“Thought so too,” Seulgi sighed in relief. “He loves you so much after all.”

 

 

It wasn’t done on purpose but Seulgi still didn’t know how to properly hide her feelings. There was evident disappointment in her voice as she said those last words. Even if her voice hadn’t betrayed her, Soojung would have known by the way Seulgi always slightly looked down when she talked about Jongin and that she remembered her unrequited love, there was always this sad look in her eyes. Soojung couldn’t believe she was really going to let Jongin go when Seulgi was still so in love with him. It was so risky and she had so much to lose. Not only her dearest friend but also her first love.

 

“Then why?” Seulgi asked completely lost after thinking of the plausible reasons why a perfect couple like Soojung and Jongin could ever break up. “Jongin is going to be devastated,” she realized in shock. Maybe it was her usual caring nature or her undoubtable love for Jongin that made her look so saddened by the news that Jongin was going to be 

in pain that Seulgi took it so personally. If Soojung wasn’t paying attention, she would have thought that she had mistakenly broke up with Seulgi instead because of her watery eyes and the sullen look on her face. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that, it is not my business. I’m sure that it’s hard for you too.”

 

“Is Jongin’s happiness that important to you?” Soojung mumbled without noticing.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing,” she sighed. “It’s complicated and to reassure you, I thought about this a lot, I know it will hurt Jongin and I wished I didn't have to do this too but you convinced me."

 

"M-me?! I did such a thing?" Seulgi stutt

ered. "So you’re saying it's because of me?" she panicked.

 

“Not because of you but thanks to you,” Soojung tried to say without blushing. “After listening to you, realized that I was doing something wrong, something very bad.”

 

“I did something I shouldn’t have again,” Seulgi cursed herself. “I am sorry, I always talk about things that don’t concern me.”

 

“Don’t be sorry,” Soojung said as soon as she saw Seulgi’s pitiful eyes. She looked very sorry and Soojung simply couldn’t understand why she was reacting in such a way. Soojung wasn’t mad or bothered by Seulgi’s exaggerated reaction, she just couldn’t understand it. That’s not what she expected. “Shouldn’t you be happy that we’re breaking up?”

 

You’ll finally be able to openly like Jongin, Soojung thought.

 

“What are you saying?” Seulgi asked startled. “W-why would I even... To be happy when two important people to me are hurt.... I wouldn’t be able to look at myself in the mirror if I rejoiced over this.”

 

“You like Jongin, Seulgi. Even if you don’t want to I am sure a part of you is relieved, no matter how small it is,” Soojung revealed with a straight face. This was a fact that she had accepted long ago, it was something that she couldn’t change and so it couldn't hurt her anymore. “Don’t look so guilty, it was obvious,” she smiled.

 

“I’m sorry, I am so sorry,” Seulgi said as she looked down to avoid to look at Soojung in the eyes. “I tried my best. I even thought it was all in my head because my feelings totally came out of nowhere but it is not,” she sighed. “I can’t believe I am telling you this, I intended to bring this secret with me in my grave.”

 

“A secret you say,” Soojung laughed.

 

“I am ashamed of myself,” Seulgi said before holding her head in her hands. “I hope you don’t hate me for this. I bet I am the worst friend you’ve ever had.”

 

“You’d have to do worse fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter