Chapter 13

Noxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The end of the world, hell on Earth, the end of everything nice, Jongin and Seulgi. These were all synonyms to Soojung. She couldn't believe how fast things could change: if someone had told her Jongin and Seulgi were dating a few weeks ago, she would've have laughed because it was nowhere near possible and yet, it was happening.

 

There was something excruciatingly wrong with the way things turned. Soojung was now at the end of the barrel and Jongin was the one holding the gun, he was the one controlling whatever game he decided to play.

 

"But why did he have to include her? She did nothing wrong!" Soojung whined into her pillow.

 

Sehun released another sigh because he hated to repeat the same things over and over again and Soojung was clearly not in a state to hear rational things. She had been acting very childishly since she came back home and forced him to stay with her, which was very unlike her. Sehun didn't have any intention to leave (he couldn't leave her like that) but she was so restless that she felt the need to ask him.

 

"You know Sehun," she turned to say. "I feel so stupid for not having seen this coming," Soojung admitted. "Now that it's real, I can't believe I couldn't see it. Jongin is smart, he knows what he needs to do at all times. He knew what would hurt me and he did it."

 

"Ok but wait," Sehun said as he shifted on the bed. "You mean that you could have imagined Jongin, of all people, dating someone who did nothing wrong to him, just to hurt you? I usually have some doubts on people but I never expected Jongin to do that."

 

"I did."

 

Soojung flipped onto her back to look at the white ceiling while Sehun laid down next to her. Soojung didn't need to say it for him to understand how betrayed she felt.

 

"I expected him to turn his back on me from the start, I feared to lose him, I swear I did. There was not one moment that I didn't think 'what if he never forgives me?'," Soojung mumbled. "There was so much to lose and I still did it and now the worst thing that could happen has happened."

 

"Not yet," Sehun pointed out. "That's not the worst thing that could happen."

 

 

Soojung turned to look at him before sighing.

 

 

"I know you're not saying this to make me feel better but thank you anyway," Soojung said before resting her head onto his chest. "I know what the worst scenario looks like, I've been thinking about it for a while now."

 

"Then let's not talk about it," Sehun said as he held her close. He knew she knew it from the start, from the moment Seulgi reached out to hold Jongin's hand that the worst thing that could ever happen to all of them wasn't so far away anymore. Sehun knew something like this would happen, not like this nor this soon but he knew Jongin would do something to Soojung. There was something fishy with the way Jongin came back so soon to live with him at the dorms again and how fine he seemed after what was supposed to be his biggest breakup yet. Was Jongin really driven by revenge or was dating Seulgi for personal reasons they didn't think of? Sehun hated to waste time asking himself questions that only time could answer but he couldn't help thinking of what was going to happen.

 

What if all of this was for the best? What if Jongin really fell for Seulgi and Soojung finally let go of her toxic obsession on the latter? Then what? Wouldn't they all be happy somehow? And yet the idea didn't sit well with him.

 

It was safer and more realistic to think of the worst things that could come out of this destructive love triangle, anyway. Sehun pulled the covers onto Soojung while images of Jongin and Seulgi bombarded his mind.

 

What was the worst thing that could happen? he wondered as he watched Soojung close her eyes. Was it that Jongin dumps Seulgi without any reason after getting his amazing revenge? Not really, she would get over it, somehow. Then perhaps that Seulgi learns the truth about Soojung's feelings for her through Jongin after he breaks her heart? Not even. That could be bad but not to the point that all four of them feel the consequences of this nightmare, Jongin wouldn't get scrapped by any means. The worst thing that could happen is that Seulgi realizes everything, from A to Z. From Soojung's feelings and deceiving decisions to Jongin's manipulative ways and Sehun's silence amidst all of this. She would get hurt to the point of no return and maybe --Sehun couldn't believe it, Seulgi would never go this far-- but maybe she could want to get revenge. "I think we all know how wrong their relationship can go, even Seulgi knows," Sehun said. "But that doesn't mean it will stop her from going on with it. Some people need to hurt to understand."

 

"She won't understand," Soojung sighed. "She won't understand why Jongin decided to date her to hurt me, she won't understand why I dated him to keep her away from him, she won't understand . It's Seulgi that we're talking about, she's all about pure love and dating for the right reasons, she will never understand."

 

Sehun pursed his lips as he remembered what happened earlier at the cafeteria. He also had a vivid souvenir of Seulgi and Jongin meeting up at his shared dorm room and that was when he decided he would follow Soojung to her place. They were obviously still awkward with each other and it was blatant to Sehun's eyes that Seulgi had no idea what she got herself into. She simply had no idea what it meant to date anyone: she watched movies and read romantic books but scripted conversations made up by someone were not the way to learn. Sehun could tell she was uncomfortable and intimidated by the way she anxiously sat down on his bed instead of Jongin's when the latter was definitely trying to shake off the awkwardness. And he got all of that by opening the door on them for a few seconds before going away, wondering why his (shared) room had to become Jongin and Seulgi's love nest. It wasn't like that before when Soojung and Jongin dated, they always hung out at her place because Soojung hated to stay in their tiny room and Jongin never had the balls to tell her no. It was a bit funny to Sehun how everything changed for the worse and yet they were all still pretending everything was okay just to keep up with Seulgi's innocence, as if she could never know everything was going downhill behind the curtains. Seulgi had to stay out of it while being at the center of it, by all means.

 

But how could she never know? It was impossible, it would be as dramatic as it needed to be but Sehun knew Seulgi would eventually realize, most probably on her own, that she was taking the place Soojung never wanted.

 

"Maybe Seulgi is not as dumb as you think," Sehun pondered out loud.

 

"I never said she was dumb."

 

"Ok, full of unrealistic ideas about love," Sehun corrected. "She knows Jongin doesn't love her, she knows he's dating her for the wrong reasons and she doesn't seem to mind. She's not as pure as you make her out to be."

 

"She is."

 

"What's wrong with the idea of Seulgi doing things irrationally out of love?" Sehun frowned. "People do that all the time, look at you. Even Jongin is the same. You corrupted him."

 

"He is clearly not doing anything out of love," Soojung drily said.

 

"But he did, he was madly in love with you and he gave you everything he had solely based on the hope that you could love him back. Isn't that stupid?" Sehun said. "He was foolish and in love but Jongin wasn't stupid, he knew you didn't love him as much as he did and that's where all reason left the chat."

 

"Don't be ridiculous."

 

"Even if you don't want to admit it Seulgi is the same, she is exactly like Jongin," Sehun continued. "And she might become exactly like him too, full of hatred..."

 

Soojung shook her head and pretended to not hear Sehun as she hid her ears behind her hand. She was acting like a child again.

 

"What is pure is meant to be tainted," Sehun reasoned. "Just like you corrupted Jongin, he can and he will probably corrupt her. If she loves him enough, she will be extremely hurt by whatever he will do or should I say, however he will choose to use her," he noted.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter