Chapter 22: Saturday Afternoon Part One

The Romance of the Unfortunate Girl

Last time, I agreed to go out to lunch with my father. I am still conflicted on my decision since I was bribed into it.

I got dressed and walked downstairs. Oh, you look so adorable, Gaby. Emmi replied. Thank you, Emmi. I replied. You do look adorable. Ghita replied. I wore my button up cream colored sleeveless blouse, mint green shorts wearing my light brown flats. How about you wear that purse your grandmother bought you before we left? Ghita asked.  Mom, I am not wearing that out today, that purse would fit and no. That is right, also the bracelets Amore gave me for my birthday last year. I replied. That would look great. I replied. I walked up to my room and put on the cream, light brown, and mint green bracelets on my left wrist. I put on light brown mini crossbody bag. I'm ready. I replied. Wait where did you get that one from? Ghita replied. Remember when I worked at that hipster store. I replied. Yeah, you are right about that. Ghita replied. Well bye, mom. I replied. Hadrien opened the door for me. Bye, you two. Stay on your best behavior, Gaby. Ghita replied. Mom, I know how to control myself. I replied. Did you really work at a hipster store? Hadrien asked. Yes, I worked at a place where they sold hipster style clothing. Since I worked there most of my clothes look hipsterish ever once in a while. I replied. As we walked to Hadrien's Car it felt a  little weird. Where do you want to eat? Hadrien asked. Well, I don't know exactly. Maybe at the restaurant downtown by the stores. I replied. That's actually perfect. Hadrien replied. As soon  I said that place the recollection of my "Apology Date" started to flutter back to me. I thought about it but he looked so happy, I couldn't say no. I replied. I felt his guilt and sadness at once. I think seeing who I look like hurts him even more inside. I think he was afraid I would hate him. I thought. We are here. Hadrien replied. You were really out of it for the last few minutes. Hadrien replied. You are right I was deep in thought. I replied. I smiled. You smile just like your mother. Hadrien replied. Thank you. I replied. We walked over to the restaurant. Welcome to our restaurant. Inez replied. Gabys. Inez replied. Hey, I see you attract all kind of rich men. Inez replied. Actually, this time around I am spending that afternoon with my dad. I replied. Can I take her, please? Inez asked. Sure. Hadrien replied. Inez took me to the side and whispered in my ear, "Wait he is your old man? Inez asked. Yes he is. I replied. Also, I need to ask a favor of you later. I replied. Sure. Inez replied. I walked back over to my father. Did I just call him father in my mind? I thought. Was that a friend of yours? Hadrien asked. Yeah, we are childhood friends. I didn't move to Italy until I was eight. I replied. I lived in the same neighborhood as she did. I replied. Let's go to a table. Hadrien replied. You two can sit on the top floor by the window. Jenny replied. Thanks, Jen. I replied. Gaby is that you? I asked. Yeah, I'm back with my mom. I replied. Why didn't you say? We could have made you a homemade Italian meal. Jenny replied. I'll tell her that, Jenny. I replied. Alright, I miss my buddy. Jenn replied. Here are your menus as well. Jenny replied. As we sat, he was curious for some reason. I thought.  I thought you moved back when you were baby? Hadrien replied. No, my mom didn't want to listen to what my grandmother told her what would happen to her. My grandmother predicted everything that happened to her up until now. I replied. You know it's rude to pry into others business and conversations. I replied. How did she see those people?Hadrien thought. How did you catch them? Hadrien asked. Easy, when you live around noisy people you can catch on to many things. I replied. You're the Unfortunate Girl, I don't think you can talk. Flora replied. I turned around. I calmly asked, "I am so sorry were you talking to me, washboard?" What did you call me? Flora asked.Aren't you the same journalist who wrote that distasteful article calling me the "Unfortunate Girl"? I asked. Gabriella, please calm down. Hadrien replied. Alright. I replied. I am really sorry for this. Hadrien replied. In all truth, your people were in the wrong for doing that to her.  After all, your people did the same thing to Ghita Pereira a little over a decade ago. Hadrien replied. You know what let's order something to eat right now? I replied. You are right, what would you like to order, Gaby? Hadrien asked. I want the Crevettes a la provencale. I replied. She is definitely Ghita's daughter, she just ordered an expensive dish. Hadrien thought. It's fine Gaby. Hadrien replied. Your face says something else, I could order something else. I replied. No, it is fine, today is all about you after all. Hadrien replied. Jenny came back to get our orders. Hey, what can I get for you? Jenny asked. I want Crevettes a la provencale. I replied. I want the Boeuf Bourguignon. Hadrien replied. Alright, what do you want to start off with? Jenny asked. I want a water. I replied. The same as well. Hadrien replied. Out of curiosity did you provoke that woman, Gaby? Jenny asked. Maybe. I replied. I turned my head really quickly. Alright, little Ghita. Jenny replied. As Jenny left we started talking again. Well, my mom actually made for dinner yesterday and our first day back. I replied. The one thing about your mom is that she hated some people and their actions but she loved cooking. Then again she would cook too much. Hadrien replied. My mom was the baby of eight children. I replied. Wait seriously, so out of habit. Hadrien replied. Yeah, every once in awhile they had to cook since their mom and father worked three to four jobs to support the eight of them. I replied. So your mom was almost poor? Hadrien asked. You could kind of say that. They tried to make ends meet. All of them got jobs at a young age actually. I replied. That is why she gets on your case all the time. You live life without a care in the world. She knows how harsh reality is so she thought maybe falling in love with a guy would sidetrack her mind from her suffering but somethings just don't work out right? I replied. As I looked at Hadrien, I saw the guilt build-up in his facial expression. I'm here with your waters. Jenny replied. Oh, thank you. Hadrien replied. She lived such a horrible life but she might have nagged me but I never imagined her struggle in life. Hadrien thought. As I turned my head, I saw my Uncle Adrien. Hey Uncle Adrien. I replied. Hey beautiful. Adrien replied. Adrien hugged me. I see you kept your word. Adrien replied. Hadrien glared at Adrien. Why are you here? I asked. Well, I have a client, I am a little early that is all. Adrien replied. Yeah knowing you, you don't wake up until noon or one in the afternoon. I replied. Hey don't judge me, I make or tailor dresses day in and out. Adrien replied. Well bye, Gaby. I replied. As he walked off,  my heart hurts for him. He is in madly in love with my mom but doesn't know how to tell her. He loved her when you two were dating, he felt he lost to you. I replied. Jenny came back with our food. Here is your food. Jenny replied. Thank you, Jenny. I replied. Your welcome, have a good meal. Jenny replied. Well he thought after all the backlash this would give him a chance but he didn't want to make it worst. I replied. I never knew he felt that way. Hadrien replied. Let's not mope this a good day. I replied. As we ate our food, someone took out their cellphone recording me eating with my dad.  I looked at the person. They still kept recording. As we finished eating our food, Jenny came back and asked if we wanted to get to go boxes. We agreed and we boxed our food and left. As we passed, I saw Adrien's facial expression towards Hadrien. He glared at him with disappointment but smiled at me and said, "Tell your mom I have the dress she asked about. Also tell her friend to get give me her measurements as well" Alright, bye Uncle Adrien. I replied. A really beautiful woman walked to the table he was at. Hi, you must be my client for the dress for the dinner this coming week? Adrien asked. I looked at him just pitying him. Where do you want to go? Hadrien asked. Oh, I am sorry, I became sidetrack. I would like to go to Lila's. I replied. Really, that store is meant for teenagers? Hadrien asked. It's one of the old stores I love shopping at so, I want to see what France's version. I replied.

To Be Continued.

Lila comes from the Arabic word leila. It means night, dark beauty.