Chapter 3: Exposed

Extra Terrestrial Legacy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica and Stephanie went through the rest of the week just looking over Stephanie’s past projects and Jessica couldn’t deny how impressive they were. All of them had a similar theme and it seemed like Stephanie had a fondness for pink much like Tiffany Hwang from New York. The similarities were still astonishing to Jessica, but she decided to drop it. If she really was related to Tiffany, someone would have mentioned her at least once back in New York, so it was better of just to forget about it. But back to the designs. The lights were extremely clear and accentuated the concepts of her projects very well. Jessica knew that Stephanie’s talents would indeed come in handy during the upcoming fashion show, but the one problem was, it couldn’t be pink. “Very pink, aren’t they?” Jessica suggested.

“Yeah, most of the clients were looking for something very stereotypically female to gain that audience. So, pink was naturally the colour I thought of using.” Stephanie explained.

“Have you ever done anything besides pink lighting?” Jessica questioned bluntly.

“Of course, I usually propose three varying colours to begin with and then offer three varying shades after they decide on a base colour. If you wanted a different lighting concept for the fashion I could easily do it.” Stephanie answered confidently.

“That’s great, the warmth of your lights will really bring that spring feel. This is gonna be great.” Jessica smiled.

“I’m glad I could be a part of it. I do need the money at the moment…” Stephanie embarrassingly admitted.
“Don’t worry, once people see your work at the fashion show, I won’t be the only client you’re working with. You’re going to blow up for sure! Where did you learn how to make such unique lighting qualities though?” Jessica asked.

“Parents showed me, when I was very little this was the type of thing they would teach us instead of other crafts like knitting, drawing, and stuff,” Stephanie explained.

“You… you still remember your parents?” Jessica asked slowly.

“Yeah, of course, would never forget them. I may be an orphan, but doesn’t mean I hate my parents, they made a difficult decision and in the end, I’m still alive and well, right? So, it all worked out for the best.” The mysteries of Stephanie Hwang continued to grow further and further in Jessica’s mind. She just assumed she had terrible parents, ones that didn’t care for her at all and left her alone during her adolescence, but to find out that she was abandoned by loving parents was quite the conundrum. The reason must’ve been quite important if Stephanie still remembers happy memories of her family, but what could it have been? Jessica wondered. The fact that she was living with Stephanie for almost a week now and had yet to find anything too detailed about her past was strange. The girl was truly a rock when it came to sharing information. All Jessica basically knew about her roommate was that she had lived in L.A. most of her life and three years ago she had two other roommates, oh not to mention she's totally an alcoholic, but somehow never gets drunk. Not much information about her especially after a week of living together, but the lack of drunkness was an interesting fact, Jessica thought. Jessica neatly packed away all the project files that Stephanie had displayed and began to explain their next plan of action. “What’s the time Steph?” Jessica asked.

“Steph?” Stephanie asked.

“Yeah, oh sorry, can I call you Steph?” Jessica questioned.

“Yeah, I guess, I just haven’t heard that nickname since Tae… never mind,” Stephanie looked away before she finished her sentence, giving Jessica a real hint that something was on her mind. There it was again, that name ‘Tae’. She always hesitates right when she says that name. Jessica thought.  “It’s currently 3 pm, why?” Stephanie asked.

“That’s great the bank should still be open. I need to finalize the deposit for my new design studio, should go now so we can start work tomorrow.” Jessica explained.

“Do you even know where the bank is?”

“… Guess you’re driving, Steph.” Jessica threw her keys over to Stephanie and started exiting their apartment. Although Stephanie had owed Jessica and Sooyoung a lot of gratitude for renting the rooms, she was sure as hell she wasn't just going to be Jessica's chauffeur just to display her gratitude, she threw the keys back over to Jessica and sat back down on to the couch. “Umm, what are you doing?” Jessica questioned.

“You have a phone, you can find your way there. I don’t need to you like a child.” Stephanie reasoned. Jessica stared back in disbelief, just when she thought she was making a connection with Stephanie, she completely flips her attitude again. “Fine, have it your way.” Jessica hissed. She unlocked the front door and slammed it behind her. Stephanie did feel a little guilty for her actions, but she had other plans for the evening. As soon as Jessica left the door, Stephanie threw on her hoodie, stood out on the balcony and leaped off of the railing, towards the peak of the building. With another great leap, she landed on the closest building and from there she continued to jump across the city towards her destination.

 

Eventually, Stephanie made it to her desired destination, a diner out in uptown L.A. The diner itself wasn’t impressive, in fact, it was rather small, Stephanie was much more interested in one of the employees at the diner. Stephanie sat at the corner of the building just across from the diner where she had a perfect view of a short, silver-haired waitress. But what this waitress lacked in height, she made up for in every other way. She was a beauty, perfect smile, flawless, milky skin, kind-hearted and gorgeous blue eyes (Note: She basically looks like Taeyeon from “Starlight” MV just in case you were wondering :D). Even from afar, Stephanie had a perfect view of her because of much better eyesight than regular humans. In fact, Stephanie was easily able to zoom in and out with her eyes and even see through objects to some extent. Novians, had a particular gift in that they can bend light with their eyes. Reflecting, refracting, following light paths and even blocking light whenever they so choose. “She’s still as cute as ever…” Stephanie sighed. She missed that girl so much, she wanted to run down there and just hug her with all her might. But maybe that was exactly why she couldn’t? If she were to do that, who knows of her excitement would make her snap the tiny girl in half. It was best if Stephanie just kept her distance like she had promised. Taeya, the girl Stephanie had been staring at had just dropped a tray of dirty dishes. Her face of shock and horror only brought joy to Stephanie’s face. “Still clumsy as well? You really haven’t changed.” Stephanie laughed. A slightly taller man with jet black hair and combed hair came to her aid, but not without giving her a shout or two. “Seems like you haven’t changed either… still as uptight as always, Dean.” Stephanie mumbled. Dean cleaned up all the shattered fragments while Taeya stood there in regret of her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter