Chapter 14: Don't Look Back

Extra Terrestrial Legacy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stephanie had no choice but to give in to Taeya’s will. She could have easily leaped away and traveled back to her apartment, but with the shorter girl tightly clinging on to her back, she had no choice but to give in. Jumping around the city with a silver-haired girl upon her back would

only risk exposing both their identities to their enemies. So, Stephanie dropped Taeya back down to the ground and took her hand and gestured her to lead the way. The silver-haired girl smiled uncontrollably and slowly lead the other girl back to her home. She made sure to sneak in from the back just in case Dean was home and lead the girl the kitchen benchtop. Stephanie sat awkwardly on the bench and just observed the other girl as she worked her way around the kitchen. Neither of them had said a word on the walk here, Stephanie knew the questions would come, but she wasn’t concerned about that, she was much more interested with what the other girl was doing. Taeya retrieved a slab of raw beef from the fridge and slowly prepared it for cooking. Her knife work was excellent, besides her amazing vocals, expertise in chemistry and unmatched beauty, she was also a master chef. Taeya honestly was perfect, well Stephanie had always believed Taeya was perfect even without her additional skills, those extra skills were merely the cherry atop the finest cake. The juicy meat began to sizzle against the searing pan surface and while the sizzling filled the air with a delicious aroma, Taeya approached the fridge once more and retrieved some lettuce. The silence was comfortable, but Stephanie couldn’t resist any longer, she had to hear the girls voice again, she had missed it for too long to wait anymore. “So… what you cookin?” Stephanie asked suddenly. Taeya suddenly flinched at her sudden question and had almost dropped the freshly washed lettuce into the stainless-steel sink. “Omo omo omo, don’t just suddenly speak like that Stephie. I was really concentrating on washing the lettuce.” Taeya teasingly scolded.

“Sorry…” Stephanie pouted.

“I know how much you love beef Stephie, so, I’m cooking some lunch for you like old times. Besides, I assume you’ve been on your own most of this time, so who knows what kind of toxic you’ve been eating. You and I both know you’re not really bothered with learning how to cook for yourself.” Taeya laughed.

“Actually, I’ve had new roommates while you’ve been away. They cook for me all the time, well, she cooks for her wife and since both of us eat a lot I just take whatever’s given.” Stephanie corrected.

“You’ve had new roommates?” Taeya questioned surprisingly.
“Was I not supposed to?” Stephanie smiled.

“No, it’s just, I know you don’t exactly like people, let alone offer your own apartment to live with strangers.” Taeya reasoned.

“Good point, but I was running out of rent and Mr. Lee said it was the best way to help me out. Honestly, I think he was right, it really did fix a lot of the problems I had when…” Stephanie paused. She wasn’t sure whether not to continue her sentence, knowing exactly where it would lead to if she had concluded, but Taeya decided to persist. “When… we left?” Taeya questioned.

“Yeah…” Stephanie didn’t want to continue, the conversation was going so well. All she wanted to do was continue the small talk with her little friend, but of course, eventually, the real heart to heart conversation would have to begin eventually. Taeya finished cooking up the succulent steak and placed the array of perfectly cut sections in front of Stephanie. This was followed up by a fresh bowl of rice and a plate filled with crisp lettuce leaves. Once all the items were sent before Stephanie, Taeya took the seat in front of Stephanie and said “Feel free to eat it all. I’m not that hungry, so you can have it.” She smiled. Stephanie reluctantly took her chopsticks in hand and slowly started munching away at the delicious food. After she had taken a few bites, Taeya had finally started the conversation she had been dreading for her entire three years of isolation. However, she didn’t begin the conversation the way Stephanie had imagined, she didn’t say ‘So, you going to tell me what happened?’ or ‘I’m tired of hearing Dean’s alibis, could you tell me the truth?’ rather Taeya said “Look, I don’t know what happened that forced you to separate from me. Its obviously because of Dean, but you never listened to him before, so whatever happened must’ve been serious. But before I ask you what happened, I want you to know,” Taeya gently ceased Stephanie’s right hand from retrieving another piece of meat and she held Stephanie’s hand gently with both of her own. She lovingly caressed the knuckles of Stephanie’s slender hand before she changed her view to Stephanie’s eyes. Stephanie expected to see sorrow in her friend’s eyes, she expected Taeya to beg her for the truth, but instead, she was met with beautiful blue orbs of pure joy. “I want you to know, Stephie, that whatever happened before, whatever made you leave, I don’t care. Please, just don’t leave again.” Taeya harshly pulled Stephanie in for an embrace. Obviously, Stephanie wouldn’t have budged at all if she wanted to stay in her seat, but she couldn’t resist melting into the other girl’s arms. “Stephie, you can tell me anything. I’m always going to be by your side from now on, trying to pretend I didn’t miss you was painful, but now that you’re here I couldn’t be happier.” Taeya chuckled. “So please, let me backintoo your life.” Taeya requested sincerely.

“What about Dean?” Stephanie questioned.

“I’m twenty-five years old, Stephie. Dean can’t do anything, he doesn’t own me. If he’s disappointed, then whatever, he’s been disappointed through most of my life, but I know he would never disown me. He cares way too much about me beneath his lifeless expression.” Taeya laughed. “He can do his best to stop me, but in the end, he wants me to be happy too.” Taeya explained.

“How about school? Your life?? You can’t just leave that behind.” Stephanie stated.

“Why are you being so dramatic?” Taeya laughed. “You’re making it sound like you live across the world, but really, you’re just a drive away. But… I guess Baekhyun wouldn’t appreciate me moving without notifying him.” Taeya said as she retreated from the hug. Stephanie had never really felt pain before, but if she could imagine what it would be like to have a million knives pierce through her heart, she was definitely feeling that pain right now. She clutched at her chest slightly before staring up to Taeya with sorrow. “Baek… Baekhyun? You guys… still… I mean… are you guys…” Stephanie couldn’t even get the words out. She couldn’t accept the possibility that her one and only had been dating someone. But who could blame her, she was, as previously mentioned, perfect, so why wouldn’t someone have swept her off her feet in the absence of Stephanie? But of all people, Baekhyun? Why? Sure, they were close, but Stephanie could have never imagined that he would have the courage to confess to her. Before Stephanie’s mind could continue da

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter