Chapter 19: The Truth About the Kims

Extra Terrestrial Legacy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyoyeon offered to stay to help the duo look over the evidence they had. It was a kind gesture, but she had already done so much for them that she didn’t want to burden her anymore. “Hyo, honestly we can’t thank you enough already. I’m sure the other girls in New York need you back, I wouldn’t want to keep them waiting.” Stephanie stated.
“Hmm, you’re probably right, Yoona seems to be getting hurt quite often these days. Spends hours on my healing runes for most of my weekends. I should get back there and make sure she’s alright. I hope you two work this out, Sica and Soo… I’m… worried.” Hyoyeon frowned.

“We’ll get them back Hyo, we promise,” Taeya assured. With the reassurance in her mind, Hyoyeon returned to New York through her bright orange portal and it was Taeya’s and Stephanie’s turn to go to work. Taeya and Stephanie immediately went over every piece of evidence that Stephanie had previously collected from uncovering the mystery of the Blazers. For hours they spent going back over every little detail and it was clear that Stephanie was growing more and more impatient by each passing second. She was worried about her friends, frustrated about her unknown enemy but most of all enraged by Hyori’s ultimate betrayal. After all she had done for Stephanie, it was devastating that she had secretly been against them this whole time. It also begged the question, how long has she been betrayed by Hyori? Was their business deal from eleven years ago also some sort of set up? Was the person that had given her the chance to live peacefully amongst humanity actually a spy this entire time? And for who? Who was this man? And why did he have so much power over Hyori? So many questions and little answers to explain. The frustration within Stephanie continued to grow. The blazing flask of tea that Stephanie was grasping during her deep thoughts had been clenched so aggressively she had cracked the metal and spilt the contents all over the floor. Stephanie was immune to extreme heat, so she had no idea that this had even happened, but Taeya could see that she was overwhelmed by the unfortunate situation. “Stephie, I know this… I know that you’re pissed off right now,” Taeya started.

“You got that right.” She sighed.

“But you can’t let that get in the way. We need to find this guy, then you can take your anger out on his stupid, unmasked face.” Taeya reasoned.

“We’ve been looking over this stuff for hours. There’s absolutely nothing even close to a name for this guy apart from J.H. and we already established that J.H. isn’t Jasper Harris.”  Stephanie stated.

“Did you call Gary? Any other possible matches?” Taeya questioned.

“Yeah, he said Jasper was the only one with those initials that he knows of. If he doesn’t know anyone else, J.H. could just be a wild goose chase. After all, the one who gave us the J.H. lead was a filthy trait…” Stephanie sighed. “What about you?? Please tell me you’ve found something.” Stephanie begged.

“I… I’m not sure. I’ve looked over this stuff again and again and it seems like there is one thing that appears more than once. It’s definitely significant, but I have no idea why.” Taeya stated.

“What is it??” Stephanie asked.

“It’s that phrase, the one that appeared on Kyuhyun’s and Joohyun’s target message as well as Jasper’s last words: key minds oddly reject or halt.”

“You can’t be serious, that’s the only clue we have?” Stephanie sighed disappointingly.

“It is, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Think about it Stephie, the masked man said himself that we had all the clues and we need to fill in the blanks that we continuously look over. This is the only piece of information that has continued to appear, but we disregard it for its randomness.” Taeya explained. “This must be the key to finding him, or find out whoever the hell he is,” Taeya concluded.

“Hmm, maybe you’re right. I think I’m… I’m just too frustrated to see straight, to think straight.” Stephanie took a deep breath, hoping to relieve some stress. As she closed her eyes and expanded her lungs, a pair of soft lips met hers for just a second. She definitely felt some sort of relief, but her worries for her friends continued to float around her mind even after the precious kiss. She pulled Taeya back in and hugged her tightly. She didn’t know if this was to comfort herself or to assure that Taeya knew that nothing would happen to her. This masked man may have stolen her friends, but soon enough Stephanie would find him and make him pay for his stupid games. Taeya looked up slightly, to see Stephanie’s caring expression as she continued to hold her. “Hey, Stephie we’ll get them back. I’ll do whatever it takes to find them, they’ve been a huge part of your life even though you’ve only met them this year, but even so, I owe them a lot for taking care of you.” Taeya smiled. “Go get some rest, I’ll tell you in the morning if I find anything,” Taeya suggested. Stephanie was about to agree with Taeya’s kind suggestion until she remembered that their apartment had been compromised. Who knows how many hidden cameras, bugs and bombs Hyori had hidden throughout their apartment. Staying there would only in danger Taeya and with everything going on, Stephanie couldn’t let anything happen to her. “Taeya we have to get out of here. Our apartment has been compromised by Hyori, it’s not safe here.” Stephanie stated.

“… you’re right. But where are we gonna go? This is the only place you have.” Taeya reasoned.

“There’s only one place left we can trust.” Stephanie sighed.

 

Together they packed a few of their belongings and prepared to be away from the apartment for the next few days. However, it seemed inevitable that they would have to leave the apartment once this had all ended. Their location was already known by the enemy, returning there to live would be a suicide mission, but that wasn’t the concern right now. The one place Stephanie had mentioned previously was none other than the downtown diner owned by Taeya’s older brother Dean. It was hard for Stephanie to admit this, but his diner was the only place that they could go right now that was safe. Hyori may know the location of the diner, but at the very least she hadn’t been there personally to bug the place. It was getting late, already 3 am in the morning, which meant they would supposedly find out the identity of the man within the next two days. It was clear Taeya was exhausted, after all she had spent the whole day roaming the city in search of their missing friends, Jessica and Sooyoung. Not to mention continuously looking at all their evidence for the past few hours. During their car ride to the diner, Taeya had already fallen fast asleep in the passenger seat while Stephanie continued towards the diner. She couldn’t help but stare ever so often at her peaceful, angelic expression. It took all her willpower to prevent herself from pinch Taeya’s cute little cheeks.

 

Once they reached the diner, Taeya was still sound asleep, so Stephanie picked her up carefully and carried her up to her old living quarters. It seemed Dean wasn’t home at the moment, so Stephanie had to jump up to the outside balcony and break the lock on Taeya’s slide door in order to access her room. Stephanie laid her down against the bed and jumped back down the balcony to retrieve Taeya’s and her belongings from the car. Everything had been moved to their room and Stephanie was about to retire to her room as well until she heard a strange sound on the roof of the diner. Taeya hadn’t awakened, in fact, she merely tossed and turned at the sudden noise. Stephanie didn’t want to bother the angel, so she went to check it out herself. She opened the door to the balcony once more and this time she leaped up to the roof, but nothing was there to be seen. Stephanie slowly scanned the nearby buildings to make sure she wasn’t being watched. “Hmm… I swear I heard something…” She sighed. She dropped back to the balcony and still had an uneasy feeling that someone was nearby. “D…” Stephanie considered calling out to Dean if he was the one home, but if it were him, he would have just come through the front door. Stephanie silently sneaked through the small living quarters of the diner, scanning each room as carefully as she could to make sure there weren’t any intruders. She checked Taeya’s bathroom, the living room, the kitchen and the tiny office outside the living area. Finally, she approached Dean’s room, the last room of the living quarters and she edged the door open carefully. She made enough space between the door and the frame to peek into her room and what she found was a strange blue light. She peeked further in, trying her best to remain as silent as possible. She retrieved her lens from her pocket and scanned the room using her photonic tracing power. It was dark, almost pitch black, it was lucky that she could even see anything at all. If it wasn’t for the mysterious blue light, she wouldn’t have been able to see a thing, but she wasn’t relieved at all. She focused more intensely on the origins of the blue light and it became apparent there were two glowing points of origins. Two vibrant blue eyes staring towards her lens coming from a dark figure. Stephanie wasn’t taking any more chances tonight. She charged through the room and blindly punched the figure straight in the face. The figure pointed his palm towards Stephanie and it transformed into a massive barrel that seemed to be charging energy. “Back off or I’ll blow you away!” The man demanded. Stephanie wasn’t afraid, she had survived an energy blast before, but the voice sounded extremely familiar. “Do you surrender?” he questioned. As the barrel continued to charge it’s beam of light, the room was illuminated revealing the face of the mysterious man. “Dean!?” Stephanie gasped. “What the hell… what…” Stephanie stuttered.
“Stephanie, what are you doing here??” Dean asked as he retracted his barrel and switched the nearby desk lamp on.

“Don’t you dare try to change the subject, Dean. What the hell was that? Your arm, your eyes?? What are you?” Stephanie lifted her fists slowly. Although she never really got on with Dean, she never ever wanted to fight him, but if he was a threat to Taeya, she would make sure to keep him away. Dean could see Stephanie’s expression, the fire in her eyes burned brighter than her bright red hair that seemed to brighten the longer she kep

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter