Chapter 5

Leader of the Pack

The teacher left the room after another long lecture and the students began packing up their bags and leaving to return to their classrooms. Sanghyuk pushed his journal into his bag and got up, swinging it over his shoulder.

But before he could leave, he was stopped by a hand on his arm. He turned to find it was Wonsik.

"Meet me at the back of the grounds after school today," he simply said. 

"Huh?"

"You know the place you sometimes visit? The place that's a bit more private than the rooftop? Meet me there once school is over."

Saying so, he got up and promptly left, leaving behind a very confused Sanghyuk.


"So, why did you ask to meet me here?" Sanghyuk asked.

"I know what you are," Wonsik curtly said.

"I'm sorry, what?" 

"I know what you are," Wonsik answered. "I know why you moved here. I know you're a hunter, and that your father is too."

"What are you talking about?" Sanghyuk asked. "Are you crazy?"

"You would think so, huh?" Wonsik said. "Well, I'm a druid."

"Wait, you're what?" Sanghyuk asked.

"I'm a druid," Wonsik said. "Well, I'm in training."

Sanghyuk said nothing for a couple of minutes. "Wait..." he finally said. "You're a druid," he repeated. "You're one of those guys who, like, knows everything about the supernatural? Sort of like supernatural encyclopedias?"

"Calling me a supernatural encyclopedia is a weird metaphor, but yeah, I guess," Wonsik said.

Sanghyuk gave a small laugh. "Wow, I knew there was something weird about you."

"Well, now you know," Wonsik said. "Now tell me why you and your family came to this town, for real."

Sanghyuk took a deep breath. "There's a wolf pack in this town." 

Wonsik nodded. "I know, they've been here for generations." 

"Do you know them?" Sanghyuk asked.

Wonsik shook his head. "I've been here for five years, but I still can't recognize who is who. I've never seen their wolf forms, forget their human forms."

Wonsik was a really good liar, and Sanghyuk bought it.

"Let's take a walk, shall we?" Wonsik gestured. 

"So, why did you move here?" Sanghyuk asked, joining the other.

"Well, most of my story is true, my parents moved here to get away from the busy city life, but they realized it wasn't the city, but them, and they divorced, leaving me to stay with my grandfather."

"Are your parents druids too?" Sanghyuk asked.

"No, only my grandfather," Wonsik said. "My dad steered clear of everything, but I got too curious."

Sanghyuk pursed his lips nodding. "It's similar to my story," he said. "My father was a hunter, and I one day stumbled across his stash. He sort of took me under his wing and I've been hunting since then."

He turned to Wonsik. "You hang around two seniors, right?"

Wonsik shrugged. "They're human," he clarified. "Taekwoon-hyung is the first in school, so I thought hanging around him would help with my grades. Hongbin-hyung sort of came with the package."

A veil of silence fell upon them as they strolled through the school's massive backyard, the outskirts of the forest. 

"So, do you know everything about wolves?" Sanghyuk asked.

Wonsik hummed. "Not everything, but I do know the basics."

"The basics? Like what? Like how packs are formed, how they change forms, how they interact, that sort of thing?" Sanghyuk inquired.

Wonsik nodded softly. "Kind of," he said.

"Then could you tell me?" Sanghyuk asked.

Wonsik raised an eyebrow. "Why are you asking me?"

Sanghyuk paused for a moment. "I-I'm new to this," he admitted. "I feel like I'm always in over my head, and I don't know where to start."

Wonsik considered his argument. "You could start by understanding energy," he suggested. "Pretty much the entire world is based on it, the supernatural world even more so."

"What's that?" Sanghyuk asked.

"In a simple term, it's essence," Wonsik said. "It's actually pretty hard to explain, but think of it as your 'soul', so to say. Each of us are born with energy, and it differs from person to person, from species to species."

"Sounds like a big concept," Sanghyuk said.

Wonsik nodded. "It is," he agreed. "Even I didn't get it the first time I heard it." He chuckled slightly. "But it is important, since wolves especially rely on it."

"How?"

"Their energy determines their 'rank' in the pack," Wonsik used air quotations. "Alphas are pretty rare, and they tend to draw other ranks to them. That's how packs are made."

"How do you know whether a wolf is an Alpha or Beta or other rank?" Sanghyuk asked.

"You don't," Wonsik said. "Even wolves find it hard to tell. Only Alphas can actually see energy signatures. Others sort of just sense it."

"Energy signatures? What are those?"

"Remember how I said that energy differs from individual to individual? Actually, there are a lot of similarities between species, sometimes the differences are minute. I once read this book that said that an Alpha can tell whether you're human or not just by looking at you."

"Alphas are pretty powerful," Sanghyuk commented. He then put his hands in his pockets and strolled a little, throwing his head back. "I'm just glad the wolves I saw the other day weren't Alphas."

Wonsik raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, thank God," he muttered. 


The phone rang a couple of times before Hongbin finally picked up. "Hello?"

"Hyung, it's me," Wonsik said, putting his hand in his pocket. 

"Well?"

"It's done." Wonsik breathed a sigh. "I've got his trust."

Hongbin hummed on the other end of the line. "Good job, Wonsik-ah," he said.

"So, what am I supposed to do now?" Wonsik asked.

"I've talked to my parents already," Hongbin said. "They said they'd take care of the hunter problem after the part this weekend."

"Oh, it's this weekend, isn't it?" Wonsik asked.

"It is," Hongbin replied. "My parents said that they'd handle everything, but after the party. So we've got a few days more."

"Do I still have a role?"

"Stay close to the new guy," Hongbin instructed. "Keep talking to him, keep giving him information. Honestly, even if you can hand him a book or two, do that. He needs to have complete and utter trust in you."

Wonsik nodded, humming in response. After a moment of silence, he spoke up again. "Hyung, what's going to happen?"

"Huh?"

"What's going to happen to them once your party is over?" Wonsik asked. "You did say that your parents would take care of it. What are they going to do to Sanghyuk?"

"Why? Are you worried?" Hongbin asked.

"It's not that," Wonsik said. "I'm just...curious, if you will."

Hongbin sighed. "Honestly, Wonsik-ah, I'm not sure what my parents will decide," he admitted. "When I talked to them, all they told me was to relax and take my mind off the matter and focus on my studies."

"So...?"

"I don't know what will happen to that kid," Hongbin said. "All I know is...they probably are going to leave this place after this weekend."