Chapter 15

Leader of the Pack

The four found themselves on the school's roof, a place they'd been frequenting quite often, with Hongbin telling Wonsik and Sanghyuk about his dream. 

Sanghyuk absentmindedly bit his lips once Hongbin was done. "So, what does this mean?" he asked.

Wonsik shrugged. "I'm not sure," he soberly admitted. 

"There is nothing we can do," Taekwoon reminded them. "We don't even know what that dream means." 

"So we just sit around waiting for something to happen?" Sanghyuk asked.

Wonsik shook his head. "We do what we've been doing all along," he said. "Look for any signs of the hellhounds and their next targets, stay alert."

He turned his head to look at Hongbin, where the dark haired Alpha stood silently by the railing, eyes turned downwards. 

"Well?" Wonsik prompted.

"We do as he says," Hongbin said quietly. "Like he said, it's all we can do."


The silence was only broken by the sound of paper rustling. 

Wonsik stood at a table, leafing through another book, while Sanghyuk sat in a chair at the end of the table. Taekwoon leaned against the window, his now green glowing eyes focused on Wonsik.

"Anything?" Sanghyuk asked after minutes of silence.

Wonsik sighed, dropping his palms to the sides of the book. "I've done everything," he said, his voice heavy. "I've gone through every single book I have, twice. I've gone through all the lore, all the stories, all the texts, and I found nothing!" 

He shakily exhaled, closing his eyes. Sanghyuk sat forward, putting his arms on the table. "Maybe we just need to expand our search?" he suggested. "Like...maybe there's a mention of something in older texts, ones that aren't circulated that often?"

"I've been through everything already," Wonsik said. "And older texts? There's a reason they're old. They don't exist." 

Then what do you plan to do?

Sanghyuk held himself back before he could speak as he saw the frustrated look on Wonsik's face. "Maybe there might be something online," he instead suggested. "I'll go scour the occult websites, we might find something there, even if it's just fiction."

Taekwoon nodded when the younger looked at him. Wonsik, however, kept his eyes on the yellowed and tearing pages in front of him, breathing heavily. 

"Where's Hongbin?" Taekwoon asked.

"He went down to the convenience store," Sanghyuk informed. "Said he needed to see this guy...what was his name again?...Ah, Kim Jaejoong, or something."

"He went to see Jaejoong?" Taekwoon asked, straightening up.

"It's natural," Wonsik spoke up. "He's probably in the need for some advice."

"Who's he, again?" Sanghyuk asked.

Taekwoon breathed deeply. "Jaejoong-hyung is like an older brother to us, to Hongbin, the brother he never had," he explained. "He goes to him whenever he needs a bit of reassurance, someone to listen to him. Hyung never minds, he always ready to lend a hand."

"He's the guy who runs the convenience store," Wonsik said.

Sanghyuk snapped his fingers. "Wait...then isn't he the cousin of those two women?" 

Taekwoon nodded. "He is."

"But...why him?" Sanghyuk asked. "Why not you guys?"

It was Wonsik's turn to sigh. "Because there are certain aspects of his...life...we won't understand." He pulled himself away from the table finally, turning to look at Sanghyuk. "Sometimes...he needs to pull himself away from the pack and talk to someone normal."

"And his parents were okay with that?"

"His parents were the ones who introduced us to Jaejoong-hyung, and by association, Soojung-noona and Sooyeon-noona," Taekwoon said. 

Silence fell over them like a dark cloud, as each of the three were involved in their own thoughts. Sanghyuk, especially, thought deeply about the new things he was learning about this pack, where things got more and more weird every day. His thoughts then moved to Hongbin's dream, with one specific detail sticking out in his mind.

"Hongbin-shi's dream..." he began. Once he'd gotten Taekwoon and Wonsik's attentions, he continued. "Didn't he mention that it was a full moon?" 

Wonsik thought about it for a moment. "He did, didn't he?"

Taekwoon turned his head slightly, casting his eyes outside as the rays of bright moonlight peeked through the curtains, casting stripes on the furniture.

"Well, look at that. Tonight's a full moon."


The older man in his late twenties placed two sodas on the table in front of Hongbin, before taking a seat opposite the younger. 

"Ah," he moaned lightly as he sat down. "It's been a while since we've had a drink like this, huh?"

Hongbin nodded, smiling as he picked up his soda. "Honestly, I don't know why I haven't done this till now."

Jaejoong chuckled lightly before folding his arms on the table, leaning slightly forward. "So, what's on your mind?"

Hongbin twiddled his thumbs, looking down at the table for a few moments. "I...uh..." he began. "Would it be weird if I told you I felt lost?"

Jaejoong shook his head. "Not at all," he assured. "It's normal to feel lost at your age. Care to elaborate?"

The younger took in a deep breath. "I...just...I feel like something's coming," he admitted. "And I feel, no, I know, that I have to do something about it, but I just don't know what."

Jaejoong stayed silent and gestured for Hongbin to go on. "It's just...I have a lot of people counting on me, maybe it's because I was the person to take charge. Although now I feel like I should be on top of things with a plan and a backup plan and a backup for the backup plan..." he then paused. "Oh sorry, I think I'm babbling."

The elder smiled. "Don't worry," he said. "It's a good thing to babble your thoughts away once in a while." He then folded his palms, exhaling a bit. "But that's one hell of a story you're writing, Hongbin," he said.

"Huh? Story?" Hongbin asked.

"You're trying to get into the mind of your character, aren't you?" Jaejoong guessed. "You're stuck with writer's block, so you're getting into your character's persona to better understand them."

"Uh...yeah, sure. Okay," Hongbin uneasily went along.

"So, is this the scene where your character meets his longtime friend for advice?" Jaejoong asked, interested. "So, what happens next?"

Hongbin was still a bit taken aback by the elder's rationalizations, but he found himself going along with it. "I'm...writing as I go along," he said slowly.

"Interesting," Jaejoong said. "So, what kind of story is this?"

Before Hongbin could plough through the foggy recesses of his mind to find a coherent thought to match his friend, Jaejoong's phone vibrated in his pocket. Excusing himself, he answered it, getting up and moving a couple of steps from the table. Hongbin took this chance to finish his soda, also focusing his hearing to nonchalantly eavesdrop on the conversation.

"Is that you, Sooyeon-ah?" Jaejoong said, in mild astonishment. "Is this about me not being home? I said I'd be home in a couple of hours, I've got a friend at the store." He cast a quick look at Hongbin before turning away.

"What?" his voice dropped in volume and turned shocked. "Wait, where are you? Is Soojung with you?" He began moving around to grab his coat. "Tell me where you two are, I'll come and get you."

"Is something wrong?" Hongbin spoke up.

By this time, Jaejoong had cut the call and put the phone back in his pocket. "Something's wrong with my sisters," he said, a pinch of panic creeping into his voice. "They're at the cliff at night, and Sooyeon sounded scared. I think they may be in trouble."

"I'll come with you, then," Hongbin rose from his seat.

Jaejoong nodded, putting on his coat. "I'd appreciate it, thanks."

The two rushed out of the convenience store, Jaejoong calling Sooyeon again to tell them not to worry. Hongbin pulled out his phone and dialed Taekwoon's number.

"Something's wrong with Sooyeon-noona and Soojung-noona," he informed. "I need you to meet me at the road to the cliff. Also, tell Wonsik and Sanghyuk to be on alert; we may need them tonight."

"Sure thing," Taekwoon's voice sounded before the call cut.

Hongbin slowed down a bit to put the phone back in his pocket. it was then that he raised his head and caught sight of the moon.

It was big, white and round, glowing, with an almost supernatural power.